It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL MEMBERS: We're going to bring "Ask Me Anything" to ATS!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Hiya,

I believe the Q&A sessions could do with being far more structured.

Maybe asking ATS members to post their questions before hand then allowing the invitee to choose ten questions to answer in detail.

I think the experience with Nick Pope taught us that most of the answers if not all the answers were superficial and I think missed the mark somewhat.

Nick's last comments and conclusion I think highlighted this issue although I would disagree that some of the questions he chose not to answer wee convoluted in some way.

Just my thoughts,

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

The beauty of an Ask Me Anything thread is it's general lack of structure.

That said, we learned a few things in the first one... I will be editing in a statement of authenticity regarding the "expert/celebrity" and indicating they are an invited guest who is to be treated with the utmost respect. That doesn't mean we can't challenge them or disagree it just means we don't resort to childish name calling or whining if our questions don't get answered the way we want them to be.

I'm also going to request members limit the number of questions to one per post and try to avoid adding long winded expressions of their worldview to the question posts, it makes it hard for the guest to get through them all if there are nine paragraphs of declarations with 6 questions buried in them. We can certainly add our opinions (and whatever else) in a non question reply, but posts with questions that are brief and concise are far more likely to get answered.

All in all I think it was a great experience for everyone involved and we gained some valuable information to make the ensuing AMAs even better.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Thank you for the Q&A, very interesting.
The problem with it was that due to the amount of questions and the number of pages,
some answers would probably be hellish to look up for those who join in later
(personally i just kept refreshing the page since the moment it started).

So here´s my suggestion;

limit the amount of questions to a certain amount,
then followed by a section that contains the answers.
Then more questions, STOP, answers, more questions etc.
Might work, but then again, it might not.

Once again, thank you ATS and keep more of this coming.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

The beauty of an Ask Me Anything thread is it's general lack of structure.

Thank you for your response, I certainly hope my questioning the reasons why some posts including my own were not answered didn't come across as whining, it certainly wasn't my intention.

I think the answer as you clearly have stated is some level of control over the session.

I agree the sessions are a fantastic addition to ATS and I found the whole experience to be exciting and exhilarating to have access to such a personality.

Lastly but not least, I want to say thank you to you and your staff's continued hard work in making ATS one of the greatest sites on the Internet!!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 29-8-2013 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LionOfGOD

Hmmmmmm . . . Good on ya.

Maybe, if I have enough time and energy . . . I will try and collect the questions in one post and list them maybe post something like this every 3-5 pages???:

Q # . .Answered/Not Answered . . . . Poster Name . . . . . Question in bold

1. . . A'd. . . . . Snodgrass Snarklenort . . . . .Question blah blah in a line or 2 or so

2. . . NA'd. . . . . Snickerdoodle Smight . . . . . Question blah blah

3. . . .A'd . . . . Preeening Pontificator . . . . . Question blah blah

= = = = = = = =

edit on 29/8/2013 by BO XIAN because: tag

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

If you only want to see Nick's posts in that thread you click on the "Member" button under his (or any member's) avatar and then click on "Posts This Thread" in the drop down menu that appears you'll get a new page that contains only his posts.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

You did not come across as whining, you had a valid suggestion.
Thanks for the kind words too.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thank you for the info.
Learning something new every day.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
A lot of members are asking multiple questions, which obviously mr. pope cannot answer them all. And not every poster's question(s) are getting answered. I think each member should be limited to 1 question each. Then maybe they might have their question answered. And maybe make them short and direct to the point so that mr. pope can get through them.
I think its a great idea for members to post questions a few days before the AMA, and then everyone vote for which ones to be asked by way of giving stars. This way the same question wont be posted multiple times therefore more questions can be answered.

I thought that myself and why not a live chat session with members pre picked questions answered, then after that a forum session.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Neil deGrasse Tyson

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

I already tried, he's booked solid until February, 2014. He is on my calendar to follow up with then though.
He's awesome and I'd love to get him on ATS.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

You're most welcome.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

We used to "select members" for our "Guest Speaker" threads we did way back when (long before Reddit.com was even thought of) and we are trying to open things up to everybody who wants to participate. Limiting is not the way to go in this brave new world in our opinion.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Looking forward to your next guest, I'll see if I can't ask a question that can be more easily answered...lol

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Not a complaint, just a review of my experience.

Followed the rules of the AMA as I understood them. Was not aware of any "avoid touchy subjects," "multiple questions forbidden," "no statements made here are to be questioned," criteria. I was perfectly aware the guest could choose to answer or not answer questions as he/she sees fit, just as any other member of the site can choose to respond/not respond to any posts.

Made a follow up post to another member (Korg) who stated intent to do a follow up analysis of the questions NickPope did not answer.

To which, an ATS Document Archivist (schuyler) decided to interject and label me a jerk. Funny.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You were argumentative, trying to pick a fight. Rather than LISTEN to what he said you decided to CHALLENGE what he said. After whining that your question was not answered, you asked it again, more spitefully the second time, and it STILL wasn't answered. Doesn't that teach you anything? You'll notice how many people agreed with me. Funny.
edit on 8/29/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

totallackey
Was not aware of any "avoid touchy subjects," "multiple questions forbidden," "no statements made here are to be questioned," criteria.

You weren't aware of having manners with invited guests?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I certainly was aware of having manners with any member here at ATS. If anything I posted was viewed as unmannerly, then I would expect to have that issue described.

Pardon me if I view being labeled a jerk as being unmannerly.

Did you even read my posts prior to writing your response?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You know, it really amazes me. You believe yourself capable of ascertaining tone and tenor from writing. Did you alert the post because your feelings about were that strong, my young Padawan?

Do you gather simple amazement on my part from the reading of this post? Along with incredulity?

You have so totally mis-characterized my intent in the AMA with NickPope.

My disappointment with this happening FAR, FAR exceeds that of the actual AMA experience.

Congratulations.

ETA: I really do not GAS about how many people agree/disagree with you schuyler. It will not change who or what you are, as will the amount of people who agree/disagree with me will not change who or what I am. IF there was anything in my posts that were CLEARLY and OVERTLY outside of T&C, then they would have been appropriately sanctioned. They were not.

I come here to engage in virtual conversation with persons over select issues of the day. I do this because I generally enjoy the banter and differing viewpoints. I also like to have a chance to unwind with the membership.
I can easily find this opportunity to do this elsewhere. Given the fascist-mindset fingerpointing I am detecting in the follow up from you and SkepticOverlord (or is my secret decoder sensor not working as well as yours?) I think you got it...
edit on 29-8-2013 by totallackey because: further content

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Personally, I agree with Springer.

The free flowing spontaneity and lack of structure makes it far more alive, interesting, viable, functional, interpersonal etc. I think shoving structure onto it or it into structure would likely be some level of deadly.

That doesn't mean we should avoid dinking with it at all . . . I just think we need to be very cautious.

I see no problem with a multitude of questions--the more the merrier.

I would like to somehow minimize the repetitious, redundant questions--particularly the highly likely asked early on and the more inane. But even that could be difficult to do. Maybe listing the questions asked and answered every 3-5 pages could help.

I don't see any way to remove the inane. Folks are in different places of maturity and understanding as persons and about this or that topic. One person's inane may be exactly what many dozens of folks wanted to know.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join