It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Brazilian's In Space !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
should we let them go into space are they planning something, where have they got the materials and funds for such big thing ??

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stevie
should we let them go into space

Who are you to decide?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Eh? What do you mean should "we" let them? They have every right to go into space..

Dude, what right do you have to dictate to others what they can and cannot do?

jra

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Everybody should be allowed to go into space. I highly doubt the Brazilians are "planning something".

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I agree!

North Korea and Iran should send their astronauts into orbit. Space is common property.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It appearst that other countries have launched "items" into space down there due to the fact that its supposed to be easier to get into space with heavier loads from the location mentioned in the article.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think the 'should we allow them' tone show's how bad us in the western world are at the moment. I have no idea where the original poster is from but it sounds like a typical 'american' comment. (Sorry for generalising, I do know not every american thinks they are the center of the universe).
Everyone has an equal right to be in space providing they can afford it and not endanger the safety of other countries up there as well (or below for that matter).
But time and again we see the large super powers (the space 'exploring' ones anyways). Trying to put a block in the way of progress. Wether it be space ship one (and the rest of privatised space flight), or small coutries who they view as having 'no god damn busines up there anyways'.
To my view pulling the old 'security of our country' rubbish is so see through it's invisible. America as any other country on this planet, does not have air space that extend's into space! Because if you keep on going 'up' where do you stop? Some poor soul on another planet might get one helluva shock to find their planet is in russian or american air space LOL.
To my mind the only 'us' is the human race itself. Not countries or afiliations (spelling?) I personally find the current goverment and media created climate of fear, violence and loathing alarming. The old quote about those who desire power not been given it, is right.
Maybe a one world goverment (under correct leader ship) isn't such a bad idea, but I digress from the topic. Barring a major world war I can never see it happening. After all there's more profit in war and violence.

Wayne...
PS. Sorry for diviating from the topic a little there but when you got to rant..... you got to rant

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by the secret web
America as any other country on this planet, does not have air space that extend's into space! Because if you keep on going 'up' where do you stop? Some poor soul on another planet might get one helluva shock to find their planet is in russian or american air space LOL.

hahahahahahaha

that's a good one.

On the technical side, the planet rotates, and the Solar System moves, so the american airspace sweeps untold depth of the Universe with various Galaxies, quazars and black holes, and never is the same in the next second

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
It appearst that other countries have launched "items" into space down there due to the fact that its supposed to be easier to get into space with heavier loads from the location mentioned in the article.

Rockets require less thrust to launch payloads into space if they are launched from sites nearer to the equator.This is becasu of the "oval" nature of the the earth, its kindve flattened at the poles and juts out a bit at the equator. Acceleration due to gravity is lowest at the equator and hence rockets face least resistance there. Thats why ESA launches from French Guyana i think and not from the european continent.

Also this is the core reason behind why "SEA LAUNCH" was created. So that payloads could be launched from straight on the equator itself.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Should we let them? Questions of sovereignty aside, I don't see as we can stop them in any reasonable way, nor do I really see a reason to. The Brasilian government isn't the insane military dictatorship of the 80s that caused so much strife for its citizens. While problems do exist in the country, and the Brasilian government has a huge blind spot when it comes to racial tensions[1], it's no worse than most industrialized nations, and considerably better than some of it's regional counterparts.

As to where they got the resources? Brasil is a huge country, with vast resources. The Real is still devalued from the mistakes of previous governments[2], but their economy is still powerful and robust. In terms of scientific knowledge, the principles of modern rocketry have been well known for decades.

[1] The Brasilian government maintains that "there is no racial prejudice in Brasil, only social-class-based prejudice." Nevermind that 99% of the lower-classes who feel the prejudice are of African decent, and that those with darker skin in the upper classes do not generally advance as far as those with lighter skin.[3]

[2] Under the Military government in the 1980s, Brasil, in order to eliminate its large debt, decided to print more money until they had enough to pay off their creditors.

[3] Yes, I footnote posts, when appropriate. And sometimes when not.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whiskey Jack

[2] Under the Military government in the 1980s, Brasil, in order to eliminate its large debt, decided to print more money until they had enough to pay off their creditors.

Haha, they actually did that? Wise but stupid. Silly Brazillian government.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
why would we (america) care if brazilians went to space anyway? dont you think we have more pressing concerns then regulating space? in fact we should be happy for them, now they can brag about somthing other than their soccer team.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Selling all those A Marca Bavaria beers in Brazil !

lol.

Deep

top topics

join