It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Hastings – “Foul Play Or Not” – Do you have a plausible theory?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Before going into what I want to address, I would like to bring two items found in Guy Montag's latest version of "More Lies Borne out of Facts, If Not The Truth"...
...a couple of quotes...
Apparently, attributed to the L.A. coroner - "This is speculation. But he's going at high speed. It's as if he was gripped by fear and he was trying to outrun something. ...He enacted a flight from something, real or imagined."

And then - "Their lab specifically tested for Meth & MDMA but found no trace of either (nor any other 'hard drug' or alcohol) although trace amounts of weed and amphetamine (possibly from Adderall or Ritalin which he has previously used) were found...

I believe the latter of these two quotes can be attributed to Mr. Montag’s interpretation of the toxicology report.

Neither of these pieces of information really change anything – but – while the former reiterates one of the only hypotheses I see fitting “No Foul Play”…the latter seems to rule ‘molly’ out of the substances found in his system at the time of death. I don’t know how that (the latter) actually plays out in toxicological standards…but – if it is accurate, and they did test specifically for MDMA…and found no evidence…then, the suggestion that said ‘molly’ might have been his new drug of choice, would appear to be losing ground.

*)(**)(*

Having admitted again and again, that I do not see a good explanation for “Foul Play”…I’m sure you have wondered if I’m just a stool or ‘double-agent’…and…if not…How or Why would I continue leaning in that direction when it seems that I scoff at most (almost) every theory put forth in its favor…
Well – thanks for not asking…if this has pestered you.
I will try and give as concise an explanation as possible (probably will not succeed – but, that hope is a good starting point).

In a nutshell, it would be the number of ‘sweet spots’, as ShadellacZumbrum and miner49r have called them…
There is an unwritten, though universal or cosmic law that states – “one sweet spot per incident”. If you haven’t read/heard that before, then…now you have.
While still in the realm of ‘sweet spots’, there are the number of ‘coincidences’.
It’s like placing all your money on a single roulette-wheel number…and winning…then placing all your money on another roulette-wheel number…and winning again…and then…placing all your money on another roulette-wheel number…and winning again…for each ‘coincidence’ and ‘sweet spot’ that contributes to the overall incident.

In general terms, a “one ‘sweet spot’” incident draws a “WOW! Did you see that?” from witnesses.
Add a ‘coincidence’ to the ‘one sweet spot incident’…and you get the full “WOW…” again…but compounded with – “What are the odds. We just witnessed a once in a lifetime event.”
If more than one ‘sweet spot’ and more than one ‘coincidence’ happen to show in the same incident…you start moving into a realm of ‘disbelief’.
The disbelief usually manifests in questioning “where’s the hidden lever?”, or “has anyone looked behind the curtain?”… Because, as nature would have it, ‘sweet spots’ and ‘coincidences’ are so special that we are not psychologically/emotionally/mentally-prepared to handle…more than one at a time…
If you likewise consider the introduction of ‘other extraordinary circumstances’ to the puzzle, the bridge of natural consequences grows more unreliable, while the bridge of outside forces intervening starts to acquire a greater attraction.

Perhaps we should look at a list of the ‘sweet spots’ and/or ‘coincidences’ and/or ‘extraordinary circumstances’ that are each and all a part of the tragedy…before going any further…

1. Angle of impact with the tree – tearing the front end/grill open…
2. Speed of impact with the tree – enough to allow the engine & tranny to shear from their mounts and fly through the opened front end/grill…
3. Ignition of explosion – well after the engine and tranny and most of the engine-compartment components had exited the vehicle…and after the electrical system had apparently stopped working…
4. Flying through three (at least) traffic-lighted intersections at high speed, without slowing, and without incident…
5. Expressed concern over car’s safety (being tampered with) – not wanting to drive his car – Driving at ‘out-of-control’ speeds through an inappropriate section of the city hours later
6. Expressed concern that ‘the Feds’ were investigating him – Dead before 24 hours passed
7. Losing control after Melrose’ – apparently working to regain control – gracefully mounting the median curb…and avoiding two trees – but…doesn’t use the brakes through all of that
8. No brake lights – ‘til too late

I could add more – like – the odd inclusion in the list of recipients for the previous day’s email…and the fact that no-one would have known of the email…had that odd-man-out not been included-in…the list.
But – like Shadellac’, I’m trying to turn over a new leaf…and so – I won’t mention it…

Anyway – in a nutshell – with as many “oddities” as are in this scenario…I am still looking for “who” or “what” is moving behind the scenes.

edit on 9/9/2013 by WanDash because: Jacob's Former Latter

edit on 9/9/2013 by WanDash because: Jacob's Latter Former

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by WanDash

...Interestingly enough there are becoming more and more article ALL reflecting on the same information, or MIS-information for that matter. There has been nothing new really introduced.
...Do you think that there has been such a bombardment of this "Same" information that, at this point, we are Over Thinking the Same-old, Same-old?

Yes... I do. Or - maybe I don't.
I can't really say. Sometimes, when going over the same information again and again...you err...in thinking you erred before... But, other times, you see something that was entirely overlooked.
So - I don't think there's a patented answer...

...I am in firm belief that when the full Police Report becomes available that we may in fact be able to extract at least one piece of information that will garner a little credence to either side of the boat, but, from the sounds of things it may be some time before it is released.
...By the way, I know that Det. White has said that they are trying to do a thorough investigation, but, are you in MY mindset, that their "Loose Ends" may be amounting to Something?

I can only hope that their "full report" will address many of the questions we have had.
I hadn't gone as far in my suspicion regarding their investigation...to lay hold on what you've suggested.
Again - we can hope.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Al Jazeera America has posted the following article -
FBI continues to investigate Hastings for 'controversial reporting'

The article states that the FBI has released a 'heavily redacted document', Monday, which revealed that the agency is continuing to investigate what it characterized as "controversial reporting" by the journalist (Michael Hastings).

You may want to read the article...
I'll get back with more...unless you beat me to it...
Thanks.

ETA: I have no problem with any of you starting a new thread regarding this article.
I think there are a lot of talking points to be had...of it.
Thanks.
edit on 9/9/2013 by WanDash because: Added Thoughts

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I don’t know that there is a "Basic Minimum or Maximum" of coincidences that can occur with relation to any one thing, by, I do happen to remember a number of coincidences that involved actor James Deans' car that he died in. The car is referred to a "Little Bastard". Here is a quick run down of the "Unlucky Coincidences".

James Dean was killed 1955.

When the car was towed away from accident scene and taken to a garage, the engine slipped out and fell onto a mechanic, shattering both of his legs.

Also, the engine was bought by a doctor, who put it into his racing car and was killed.

Another driver, in that same race, was killed in his car, which had James Dean's driveshaft fitted to it.

After the Porsche was fixed, the garage it was in was destroyed by fire.

Then while the car was being displayed in Sacramento, it fell off it's display mount and broke a teenager's hip.

While the car was being towed the trailer that it was on slipped from its towbar and smashed through the front of a store.

Lastly and Most Strangely in 1959, while the car was sitting on steel support, the car mysteriously broke into 11 pieces.

Talk about "Sweet Spots".

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by WanDash

I don’t know that there is a "Basic Minimum or Maximum" of coincidences that can occur with relation to any one thing, by, I do happen to remember a number of coincidences that involved actor James Deans' car that he died in. The car is referred to a "Little Bastard". Here is a quick run down of the "Unlucky Coincidences".
Talk about "Sweet Spots".

Great stuff!
I know... There are many such "unbelievable" sets of circumstances that set people (including myself) in a constant state of agitation...
Carl Jung (and, oddly enough - The Police) talked about these confluences of coincidences as Synchronicity...but...in my opinion...if they don't at least raise an eyebrow or two...on you...I gotta wonder if you...are not...a...zombie...

Thanks for the James Dean facts... I have a story about the same (involving a 'poster' owned by my daughter) that I have yet to shake...

That (the synchronicity of multiple strange/odd/unbelievably-coincidental events) would be a GREAT thread!

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

WanDash
Al Jazeera America has posted the following article -
FBI continues to investigate Hastings for 'controversial reporting'

The article states that the FBI has released a 'heavily redacted document', Monday, which revealed that the agency is continuing to investigate what it characterized as "controversial reporting" by the journalist (Michael Hastings).

You may want to read the article...
I'll get back with more...unless you beat me to it...
Thanks.

ETA: I have no problem with any of you starting a new thread regarding this article.
I think there are a lot of talking points to be had...of it.
Thanks.
edit on 9/9/2013 by WanDash because: Added Thoughts

Wan, ... ..

Are you sure you want this Out There .. . ?

I'll do it, But, If I do I am going to put a note in there that "This Does Not Prove Murder".

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Before I forget...
A lot of people ask the question...
...If the car was heading southbound...on the median, having just knocked the utility cage and u-shaped water pipe from their respective perches...and then, hits the tree off-center (favoring the driver's side of the front end)...HOW IS IT that the engine and bulk of the debris field fly in a south-southeasterly direction?
I believe the crash-test video gives a good clue to this...
When the front end first impacts the immovable object...the front end starts tearing immediately...
As well...the car starts "swinging" to the right (passenger side)...
If we accept that the engine & tranny broke free of their respective mounts upon impact...and accept that the front end (grill) had already torn...and that the car is swinging (even though the rear end, is likewise rising)...THEN...we might see that...while the car is swinging to the right...and the engine/tranny is continuing its progress forward (after breaking free)...the resistance provided by the still-in-tact front-end/grillwork would cause enough "change" in momentum (direction of travel) to sling the engine/tranny and engine-compartment components...
If you don't see that as a possibility... Sorry for wasting your time.
Thanks.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

ShadellacZumbrum
...Wan, ... ..

Are you sure you want this Out There .. . ?

I'll do it, But, If I do I am going to put a note in there that "This Does Not Prove Murder".

Soitenly!
It is news.
It does not prove murder.
But...in my opinion...it is interesting...and...NO-ONE is going to see it...on this thread - except The Faithful.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

So was the investigation about this guy?

Did this guy run off on purpose and then travel to Pakistan where he now stays? Same as Bin Laden and his compound being in Pakistan as far back as 2002 when it was built?

The documents from the FBI.

www.documentcloud.org...

edit on 10-9-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Has anybody ever dug through the Pakistan Wikileaks files? No I am not talking about the few files on the regular Wikileaks site. I am talking about the files only released to Dawn.com in Pakistan. You have to use TOR to reach the website Dawn.com to read most of the news on the site because it is blocked by the US. I never actually searched for the Pakistan Wikileaks files before that were released to Only Dawn.com.

Dawn.com using TOR is where I found out about all the hits done just before the Bin Laden raid including the owner of the compound who had it built one week before the raid. Also the shoot down of the Pakistani aircraft and the taking out of the power grid to the town before the raid.

Thread I made on what I found from Pakistani news on Bin Laden raid.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I have not looked into any of that...
Will look at your thread, shortly. Sounds interesting.
After viewing the video - I'm wondering where you got the idea that Bergdahl (might have) walked-off.
It seemed to me, at least through the first part of the video, that he was sincere in his desire to return to his home, family, friends, motorcycles &/or sailing.
Anyway - maybe you have more information than I.
After looking that "heavily redacted" document over...a little further --- "heavily redacted" seems to be a huge understatement (imo).

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

The cross linking between Matthew Farwell and Michael Hastings. And you end up with a common story about Bowe Bergdahl which got them flagged for investigation because of inside information on what was going on with him. They even mention the Blank Capture in this FBI document. The blank is Bergdahl.

www.documentcloud.org...

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Seems like a pretty sick way of earning a living...if you ask me.
I recall stories of one of my great uncles being captured, and held prisoner of war (WWII) by the Japanese. The family was desperate for any news of him, his welfare, etc... How is it that information or news regarding one of our soldiers (a casualty of war) is or should be considered classified - National Security - bad/controversial journalistic practices for finding/getting that info...and reporting it?

This country (&/or its government) has foregone even the slightest guise of decency. The whole notion or concept of "...We hold these Truths to be self evident..." was shoved down the garbage disposal long ago.

edit on 9/10/2013 by WanDash because: just - you know - add a word or so

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

M Hastings article the FBI and Army seem concerned about was in Rolling Stone on June 7, 2012. Titled "Last American Prisoner".

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Maybe you know - maybe you don't...so, in case you don't ----
ShadellacZumbrum started a thread regarding the FOIA request document...here.
Doesn't appear to be much interest in discussing it.
Don't know if it's because the story is now 'old news' - or because most evidence has shut down some of the more popular "conspiracy" theories...or if it's just that - the more inflammatory news of the day surrounds Syria, et al...
But - I already posted the YouTube link over there...

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Adjusted/Updated Timeline ---

April sometime, 2013 – becomes acquainted with neighbor – Jordanna Thigpen…at the behest of the landlord of their apartments…because of the sudden (recent) tragic loss of her boyfriend

April 18-19 (or so), 2013 – guest of a friend that had friends who secured a weekend getaway…to enjoy a music festival in/at Cochella, California… Impressed said “friends of his friend” poorly…reportedly partying constantly (smoking marijuana and popping ‘molly’), in addition to some other less than “considerate” mannerisms and behavior/s.

May sometime, 2013 – after news broke of the NSA spying programs directed at (investigative) journalists…according to ‘neighbor Thigpen’, grew highly agitated and suspicious…with said suspicions bordering on (in appearance, anyway) paranoia.

May 20, 2013 – in response to news of NSA spying on journalists…as a guest on The Young Turks…boldly calls for “(journalistic) war on the Obama Administration”…

Days (or ‘the day’) prior to June 18, 2013 – a brother (or – ‘family members’, depending on the source) arrive in L.A. with the (reported) intent of convincing him to go into rehab…purportedly believing that he had fallen-off-the-wagon within the past month (or so)…

Around 1 p.m. (*), sends an email to colleagues, while bcc’ing SSgt Biggs, regarding his conviction that ‘the Feds’ were investigating his…and thus, by association, BuzzFeed’s…information gathering practices. Says he’s “onto a big story”, “will be going off the radat for a bit”, and “hope(s) to see” them all soon.
Within a couple/few hours, goes to a retail outlet with his brother…spends about 15 minutes inside…purchases 2 t-shirts…and impresses the shop’s co-owner as “in high spirits”.

Sometime late that (same) evening, he purportedly (according, apparently, to his brother) smoked some marijuana…and…at some point thereafter, “passed out”. The brother (again, reportedly) placed the time of his “passing out” at ‘between 12:30 and 1:00 a.m.’… After the brother was convinced that Michael had “passed out”…he left the apartment…and went to a neighbor’s apartment, where he was staying (sleeping).

At, or about, the same time (12:30 a.m.) that the brother reported Michael to have passed out…Jordanna Thigpen (being a different neighbor than the one whose apartment Michael’s brother was staying/sleeping in – presumably) reported that Michael came to her apartment with an exceptional request…being – to borrow her car…as –(according to said testimony)– he was concerned that his car had been tampered with…and did not feel safe driving it--- and ---(she furthered)---he was scared, and wanted to leave town. She told him that her car (Volvo) was having mechanical problems…and thus, declined his request.

Almost 4 hours later, a LoudLabs dash-cam situated in a gas station parking lot, facing east, on the southwest corner of North Highland Avenue and Santa Monica Blvd, caught Michael Hastings’ Mercedes speeding through the red light…heading southbound on North Highland Avenue.
The camera operator (Scott Lane) was not paying attention at the time…and did not notice the incident…and…sat, in said parking lot, for a short few minutes more…before deciding to ‘pack-it-in for the night’.

Probably, less than a minute after the Mercedes was unknowingly caught on the LoudLabs recording, it entered the field of view of the security camera situated in the entry-way of the Pizzeria Mozza, that is located on the corner of Melrose’ and North Highland Avenue.
It is obvious (deducible) that the vehicle is out of control (to some degree) prior to bursting into view…
Once in view…it is obvious that the vehicle is still “out of control”…though, not entirely out of control.
The first view shows the vehicle straddling the center-line between the two southbound lanes.
The second screen shot shows the vehicle having progressed no further…but with its headlights covering more ground ahead…and having adjusted slightly toward the median (southeasterly)…
I will not go through the entire sequence of screen-shots to the fatal tree…except to make the following observation/s…
• If suicide were his intent…he could simply have done nothing OR over-corrected after Melrose…and certainly accomplished the objective.
• If he was “trying to survive” (which seems apparent by the way he corrected the vehicle) – and had brakes – he could simply have…used them…

LAPD is now telling us that…he actually had a destination that morning – being – Las Vegas.
How much confidence we can place in said information…is up for debate.
Different lenses need to be applied…if he was going some-where…rather than…running from some-thing/one
And, an even different lens is required if…he was going somewhere…to get away from (escape) something/one…

*)(*/|\*)(*

If you see obvious fallacies or omissions in this version of the Timeline…let me know…or…DO YOUR OWN…

Thanks

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Sorry Wan, I haven't read through all of your updated timeline yet but I'll have to go offline in a moment and don't know when I'll get around to reading on. So I'll just throw this in:

May 20, 2013 – in response to news of NSA spying on journalists…as a guest on The Young Turks…boldly calls for “(journalistic) war on the Obama Administration”…

Together with the recent stories about his (renewed) substance abuse that strikingly resembles how Barrett Brown (also a history of substance abuse) cracked:

In October 2012, Barrett Brown was indicted for threatening Agent Smith by name in a YouTube video. The title of the video is "Why I'm Going to Destroy FBI Agent Robert Smith." Barrett published the rant online after his mother, Karen McCutchin, was targeted and harassed by federal agents, including Agent Smith. For months, the FBI threatened to arrest and indict her on obstruction charges for allegedly hiding one of Barrett's laptops. Clearly angered by the FBI's actions, in the video Barrett says, "I know what’s legal; I know what’s been done to me... And if it’s legal when it’s done to me, it’s going to be legal when it’s done to FBI Agent Robert Smith—who is a criminal." Following the release of the video last year, Agent Smith and the FBI raided Barrett's home (again) and he's been locked up ever since.

Here’s What Happened at Barrett Brown’s Gag Hearing

Hastings and Brown were probably both intentionally put under enormous stress/pressure to exploit their known weaknesses making them vulnerable and trying to destroy their credibility.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MindBodySpiritComplex

Thanks MindBodySpiritComplex
So - the 'courtroom' article was written around/about Sept 5, 2013...?
Does that mean that he has been incarcerated for a year (or so)?
I'm guessing that I'm getting the link you're pointing to... Being ... Feds (Agent Smith - proverbial or otherwise) can pretty much do as-how-&-what they please/choose...with no recourse.
In this case, Barrett Brown "called them out" on the breach of trust...and was almost immediately incarcerated.
Michael Hastings "called them (the Federal government) out" on said breach of trust...and, however it came about...within one month...he's no longer able to call attention to their mis-doings.

What ever happened to... "what's good for the goose, is also good for the gander" ...?

ETA: You wouldn't happen to know if a transcript of that hearing (or - any other hearings) is published anywhere...would you?
edit on 9/11/2013 by WanDash because: Question

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
INTERLUDE

(You can look away, as I grow nostalgic and sentimental for a moment.)

In the summer of 1979 I joined a band. Overall, the best musicians I’d played with. They were into more progressive music than I preferred (but – grew to love)…and – I was the least “accomplished” of any member thereof. All I had was a voice. But, it was the voice they wanted…so, they put up with my insufficiencies on keyboards (we had two other keyboardists as well).
During that summer (which – by the way – did not end well) I was introduced to Little Feat among other bands…
Introduced just in time to be shocked and grieved at the passing of the lead vocal, lead guitar…and all around ‘heart’ of the band (at the time) – Lowell George.
So – imagine my surprise when a good decade later, I hear a song on the radio…and even before hearing “who” it was…my first thoughts were “Little Feat”…even recognizing that the lead vocal was not Lowell George…the music somehow carried their signature
And today…in a burst of some kind of romantic nostalgia…I could only wish Michael Hastings’ last ride…could be changed to something more like the video depicts…
But…that can happen only in…my mind…
The song I heard…was… …Let It Roll by Little Feat

The album ended with a tribute to Lowell George, that, to me, is just as applicable to Michael Hastings.
You may recognize the voice of Linda Ronstadt, joining in…Voices On The Wind by Little Feat

(The cry is over. Thanks.)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

The Barrett Brown story is very interesting, and taking place in Mansfield, TX. Barrett is even less love able than MH. None the less he is getting rail roaded by the Feds. Check out the Guardian article by Ed Pilkington on 9/4/13. It is a good overview and has good links. "US stops jailed activist Barrett Brow from discussing leaks prosecution"

I liked your time line on MH. I wished you would have included his last story " Why Democrats Love to Spy on Americans" on 6/7/13. The memory of Jeremy Scahill about his evening with MH on 6/12.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join