It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Men On Strike"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
An educated reformed feminist speaks out.

A compelling new book has surfaced recently by a highly respected woman, in her field of studies.

Dr. Helen Smith is a forensic psychologist from the University of Tennessee, has written many blogs, articles and has been a producer of documentaries, but her new claim to fame is her recently released book, "Men On Strike".

She makes it very clear men are getting the short end of the stick these days, on almost all levels.

The points she is making are dead on, and she makes a case that is very hard to argue against. I have read excerpts from her book and have decided to purchase a copy for myself.

She talks about how men are choosing not to get anywhere near marriage, or relationships these day. And how men have even decided to find other things to do with their time other than pursue relationships with women. Odds are stacked to high against men for the relationships to work in their favor, so they are choosing not to have them.

* Please be civil and respectful, since this topic can stir emotions Thanks!

en.wikipedia.org...(psychologist)

Look at the current reviews on her book via Amazon, they are 5 stars and counting.

www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Eye and ear opening interview.

www.babble.com...

RH: You mention that the incentives have changed for marriage. What were the classical incentives for marriage? What needs could men meet only though marriage? How has that changed over the last few decades?

HS: Men used to get respect and be seen as grown up for getting married. They had more legal rights open to them, but perhaps they went too far. Coverture in the 19th century was a legal doctrine whereby in marriage, a women’s legal rights were subsumed by those of her husband. Now, whatever rights a man holds are now held in the woman’s hands. In today’s marriage, a man has few legal rights. They get custody of the kids only about 10% of the time. Child support laws are very strict and may eat up a very large portion of his salary. Men have also seen a decline of space in marriage. Forget coming home to sit in the comfy chair in the main area of the house. Dad now goes to the basement while mom and kids enjoy the rest of the home.

edit on 29-7-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
True,
Divorce filed against me 16 years ago took 4 years to be completed. Total outlay including child support and insurance for a child who wasn't even mine and paying off all of the resulting debt of losing my home, vehicles, personal property, 8 credit cards that the ex took out in my name along with lawyers to defend me from a lunatic and eventually even pay for her second lawyer (hers was disbarred) to finish the divorce ...$350,000.

I will likely never retire. Just work until I die.

I can't see any enticement that would actually cause me to place my financial life into such a vulnerable position again.

Just to be clear, I have had a handful of dating relationships and a long term serious one but it all came down to the same issue. Each woman wanted her life to be her own but to be taken care of at the same time.

People don't seem to understand that a marriage is a two way street, not a free ride.

I guess I've outlived my own belief system.

edit on 29-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I agree I wish I went with my gut after my 2nd divorce and never got married again, now after my third divorce I have learnt my lesson. I will never marry again.

I think the problem with some women (please do not kill me about this statement just what I have observed) is that they want it all, they want men to provide for them, be rich and successful and If you decide to follow a different path to be happy they look elsewhere.

A couple of pals who I know in their 20's have told me that many young girls they have dated just want the material things in life and will do anything to marry a footballer or a millionaire and both of my pals just don't bother with women saying they are happy being alone.

I blame modern media for this the celeb lifestyle which is just false.
I have been on a few blind dates since I have gotten divorced and the first thing they have all asked me is "what do you do" "what car do you drive?" "how big is your house".
I know there are plenty of decent women who do not think like this but they have been snatched up already

edit on 29-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I have been on a few blind dates since I have gotten divorced and the first thing they have all asked me is "what do you do" "what car do you drive?" "how big is your house".

It's true.
Like you're on a job interview.
What's that? You don't have an unlimited dating budget?
Hmm, I guess I can use you part time until I find a better source of food and entertainment.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

It all comes down to Money, doesn't it?

Men are the breadwinners in many relationships. Guess they are getting wise to the game being played on them.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Men are the breadwinners in many relationships. Guess they are getting wise to the game being played on them.

Yes, she makes it very clear in this interview money is a driving force.

www.babble.com...

RH: Your argument is that men are dropping out based on a rational appraisal of current conditions and incentives. Are Men on Strike or were we fired? And does it make a difference?
…women are using the government as husband and no longer need to be married or with a man. Men are unneeded…

HS: I think both phenomena are happening. Men are going on strike because the legal and psychological barriers for marriage, college and even work life are so much higher and the rewards so much lower. At the same time, women are using the government as husband and no longer need to be married or with a man. Men are unneeded and drop out of the pool altogether. Some however, simply realize that it is too hard to compete—women are highly educated and have such high expectations of men that men opt out.

RH: Please expand on this. What did women formerly get from a husband that they now get from the government?

HS: Money.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

The last one I went on (never again will I go on a blind date) I refused to tell her what I did, when she asked i said "would it matter? what I did " and she said "yes If you were a dustman or something...." I just said "we are all cogs in the wheel love", then I told her I wipe bums for a living, the look of disdain on her face.. I finished my drink said "no point being sat here all night with an elitist person" and walked out.
She told my girl pal that I was a "loser"...
edit on 29-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I know plenty of women who are in jobs and still married. They contribute to the relationships. It's not that they don't reciprocate. More often it's the women who have either never had money or a job or it's women who had money but never had to earn it.

Marriage has become a business instead of a relationship. A business that is not profitable goes under.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This is exactly what I've been saying all along. The good news is; with feminism on the rise, women are starting to take over the old roles that men held and now THEY are the ones enslaving themselves to the almighty dollar.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I have custody of my children, and see NO child support. Judge asked me if I wanted it, and I told him WHY? They have nothing, will never have nothing. I said my kids are done being part of the " corrupt system" . Judge wasnt too happy with my responses...

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I have custody of my children, and see NO child support. Judge asked me if I wanted it, and I told him WHY? They have nothing, will never have nothing. I said my kids are done being part of the " corrupt system" . Judge wasnt too happy with my responses...

I always paid a little extra on my monthly payments so in an emergency I wouldn't be behind the 8 ball. My child support ended a few years back and my case rep called to find out where I wanted the surplus sent. I gave him the address and he said I was the first guy he'd ever had who got a 3 month refund.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I must be ahead of my time. Well, that and just have never found the right girl for me. Every woman I dated seriously (I was even engaged to a couple of them) to a tee insisted that I end my career in the military otherwise the relationship was off.

I politely showed them the door, gave them a hug and went on my way. I wasn’t always happy about it, but not one of them had a career themselves. I think I saw the writing on the wall.

Literally every time I saw a wife do that to a husband, they ended up divorced anyways and now the guys career was shot in most cases.

Now I’m retired, still single, fairly young still, no child support and no alimony and have plenty of friends and family to be the social idiot with.

I won't say I am living the dream, but I'm a lot closer to it than many. And for that I am thankful.

edit on 29-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

I refused to tell her what I did,

I'm a lot like that.
I asked a girl I knew and was interested in to Cirque De Soliel last year.
She said, "Only if they're good seats."
I shrugged and said" Oh, OK. Maybe another time."
The two front row tickets in my pocket were about 400 dollars. I took a very nice lady I met at the checkout in a bookstore the next day.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I was going to write something long-winded and lofty and snobbish.

But it all comes down to this. . .

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I was going to write something long-winded and lofty and snobbish.

But it all comes down to this. . .

Yeah,
But not really.
I know lots of great women who contribute to their relationships but they are all married.

That guy is pretty funny.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It isn't men. It isn't women.

Its the

LICENSE

Its a three way partnership with government on the top tier and the courts rule.
edit on 29-7-2013 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This commercial break
is brought to you by "Guess Who"

American Woman...

...and from Yahoo Answers...

There's no doubt that America has the highest divorce rate in the world and that 75% of all divorces are done by women. Those are simply statistical facts. Are 50% of American men REALLY bad husbands, or are American women at fault and incapable of a long term relationship? I don't understand those of you who simply deny reality and say there's no problem here. Clearly there is.

Yahoo Answers / how come American women are considered the worst wives in the world?

I haven't just heard this from foreign men, but I've probably read a dozen blogs and news articles about how American women are simply not wanted overseas and are considered spoiled, egotistical, and self-centered.

And, by fine car dealerships everywhere.

We now return you to your regularly
scheduled broadcast, already in progress.

Mike

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Love the post Mike.

Classic!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Wow, this is sad.
There used to be a morning talk radio show in my listening area...and the two guys were always talking about women looking for "wallets"...I thought it was just a small deal, maybe a few women involved ...just to make women look bad.

But, it seems that is not the case.

I think there is more to it, part of the general break-down of society...in fact my husband and I were watching a program and the comment was made that children were better off in homes with bad marriages, then in broken homes.
I think that was true...because even in the bad marriages on 20-30- years ago, the couple tried harder to keep the marriage together.
Now, too many partners don't seen to want the commitment...and opt to end the marriage.

Also, we can blame more and more dependence on the nanny state.....where so many are getting benefits...and so many of those benefits are not deserved.
An example.....neighbors who are on workman's comp for no real physical reason.
Or the benefits become a way of life.

Quite frankly, how did we women ...or too many of us anyway....become women looking for wallets

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Wow, this is sad.

. . .

Quite frankly, how did we women ...or too many of us anyway....become women looking for wallets

If you really want to know,
this is a painful 16 minute video
by a youtube blogger called "Girl Writes What."

youtube / Feminism and the Disposable male

Over 700,000 views,
I consider it legend
in the counter-feminist movement.

/fear of the truth
Mike

Ah, I found the original ATS thread about the same video

Fantastic Video: Woman slams the injustices of Feminism
Flags: 24
Stars: 22
Date: 29-12-2011

. On a side note:
I found her ok looking,
but having been always attracted
more by brains than appearances,
I found her looking better and better
as the video went on.

But that's just me.
Your Mileage may vary.

edit on 29-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join