It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto Police Kill 18 Year Old Alone On Streetcar. Caught on Video. I Am Speechless.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

You need to go back and check that again.

Hours earlier, Toronto’s chief of police admitted that he, too, has serious questions about how his officers behaved on the night the boy died.

... police chief Bill Blair, typically tight-lipped after a shooting of one of his own, made a rare and almost emotional vow to probe the matter deeply.

news.nationalpost.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Good post. I don't know why but it made me laugh because it's just so absurd what's been happening to so many people in this Internet age. Heartlessness is rampant.

Shine the light of love and compassion and the world DOES change for the better, you'll see, everyone, just try it, and watch your influence and charisma grow. You'll be amazed before you are even half way through if you have that fundamental change of heart.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
double post, my above reply is to defcon. Didn't show up in my quote for some reason.
edit on 29-7-2013 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Yep... Let's allow him hang out for a few more hours and see what other damage he can do while we block him in with cars, wait around for negotiators, and basically twiddle our thumbs.

He wasn't even GIVEN that option, Def.... In a half hour it was done and over with. They couldn't even get a Team in there that could have talked to him. They dont work past 9pm, and dont go to violent calls. Go figure.

I'm done with this, everyone can go on about your police “hate” session, and in the end I'll bet you that legally these cops are all cleared.

I dont think its a police "hate" session. Its a lack of emotion, of moral responsibility that many seem to feel when it comes to LEO's and the shooting of suspects.

And you are right. They will be cleared, by the law. Still doesn't justify it morally. Still doesn't mean they couldn't have done things differently.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

When a person does not comply, with repeated commands something is very very wrong with the individual and the whole situation.

Non-compliance doesn't mean something is very very wrong with someone. Just means that person doesn't give a damn what your commands are, or what your perceived authority is. What is very very wrong is you and the LEO's in this world thinking you have the right to gun someone down or tazer them into submission just because they didn't ask how high when you said jump.

In past years I have seen officers disarm an individual, only to have them pull a boot knife out and seriously injure an officer.

Then they obviously didn't disarm them did they?

Many officers have died because they let there guard down on people who were under severe duress, drugs, or mentally ill.

Fault of the officers wouldn't you say?

So what would your decision be if you had to get the knife away from him? Could you trust that he didn't have more weapons hidden?

Be aware of the situation, try talking to the individual from a safe distance, and use your gun as a last resort. But that would require cops of today to think. Something they seem incapable of.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Well exactly that, the police don't need a reason, they can and will shoot you if they want.....for breaking the letter of the law.

No, they have to be within the use of force matrix.
But when in the commission of a felony, if the suspect wants to escalate the situation to such a point that lethal force becomes required, the police may then use that to bring the situation back under control.

Its the suspect who normally escalates the situation, not the police.
Believe me, if I saw that the police were in the wrong here I'd be yelling about it louder than anyone, but legally they aren't in the wrong in this case.

Originally posted by MidnightTide
As to letting him hang out in the street car....why not? As long as he is contained and not hurting anyone, let him sit there.

I believe that if you look closely at the video right before the police start shooting, he was heading toward the police standing in the front door of the bus.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Amen to that. What is another 30 minutes when 90% of the time cops are not doing anything anyway? Compassion is all it is and it is missing these days.

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
Amen to that. What is another 30 minutes when 90% of the time cops are not doing anything anyway? Compassion is all it is and it is missing these days.

Until this guy was taken down and searched the police had no idea what he was carrying on him. He could have had anything, and was already armed and acting dangerously.

What if they had sat around twiddling their thumbs, like everyone here seems to feel was required, and the guy pulled a out a firearm and started shooting into folks in the vicinity. Or did like the Boston kids did when they were cornered by the police. Then folks would be yelling that the police weren't doing their jobs protecting the public.

Police don't want to allow you the time to sit and think about things, or how to get yourself out of the situation, or to do more damage.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Ah yes, the old "what if". Perhaps by his previous actions of not harming anyone on the trolley and being alone one could deduce his intentions were not to harm others. Then again, by your logic, cops should simply unload on anyone breaking the law - what if he had a gun before I murdered him? Total baloney logic.

CJ

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux

Be aware of the situation, try talking to the individual from a safe distance, and use your gun as a last resort. But that would require cops of today to think. Something they seem incapable of.

The Laws need to change. Period.

Ive said this before.

LEO's should be held to stricter standards.Imagine doubling the time a LEO has to serve, when it comes to an improper shooting? I think that right there would make them think twice about shooting first, and asking questions later. Change the way inquisitions are held also. Don't give LEO's paid time off either when involved in a killing or shooting.

Hold them to a higher standard. Its not asking much. They walk around with a weapon, and have the legality to kill someone if they deem it necessary. That's a huge responsibility. It should come with a huge price also.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Perhaps by his previous actions of not harming anyone on the trolley and being alone one could deduce his intentions were not to harm others.

Not harming anyone?
He took it over with a weapon. That's “brandishing” and “theft of an occupied vehicle”, in today's world because it was public transport it most likely breaks terrorism laws.

Then again, by your logic, cops should simply unload on anyone breaking the law - what if he had a gun before I murdered him? Total baloney logic.

I have never said that even once on this thread.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537
One of two things happened in this video...

Either, the cop had zero weapons training, meaning he needed 9 shots to put down one kid... Or he used excessive force... its honestly one of the other, you pick.........

Or 3...the cop wanted to be on YouTube and be the hero of the day [and get busted in doing so]
edit on 29-7-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
LEO's should be held to stricter standards.

While I do agree with this...

Originally posted by sonnny1
Imagine doubling the time a LEO has to serve, when it comes to an improper shooting?

This...
Is a VERY bad idea.
Usually that is a split second decision, and you cannot hold them to that level of accountability for it. It would get a lot of police killed because they would delay their actions and lose the initiative.

You cannot hold someone to that level of responsibility doing a job based on incomplete knowledge, in infinitely variable situations, dealing with people who have a vested interest in lying to get out of trouble, while making life/death decisions in a matter of split seconds. Police screw up from time to time, they are humans, and therefore not as perfect as apparently everyone else on this thread is.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Police don't want to allow you the time to sit and think about things, or how to get yourself out of the situation, or to do more damage.

Dude, this was just a stupid teenager! We were all teenagers at one point and didn't understand how the real world works. Now we are adults and our eyes have opened up....we are not protected from the police...
edit on 29-7-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by jhn7537
One of two things happened in this video...

Either, the cop had zero weapons training, meaning he needed 9 shots to put down one kid... Or he used excessive force... its honestly one of the other, you pick.........

Or 3...the cop wanted to be on YouTube and get busted.

Or 4 wait until the ballistics report comes out and get the facts as to why he felt the need to fire 9 times.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I edited my post...please re-reply to this post

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Anyone can put on a badge and gun ,the real question is when they do this is it for altruistic reasons to PROTECT&SERVE to uphold justice to preserve the peace to help the meek and downtrodden to be truly righteous,or is it to feel authority,power and presence over people under your watch(John Wayne syndrome)!

Its one thing to justify your actions by the letter of the law but real men of authority have the calm ,tact,intelligence and strong moral obligation to themselves and those around them to go above and beyond the call of duty to preserve life and liberty no matter the situation at hand!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Once you are being arrested, your rights are suspended and you are required to follow the “lawful orders” of that officer.

Wait a minute...what? Since when are our rights suspended upon being arrested? Sorry Def, but you're going to have to show me something that shows that. I will give up NO rights to any cop just because he or she BELIEVES they are correct in arresting me. If I've done something wrong that deserves arresting me I will and have gone quietly. If I've done nothing wrong and the cop just wants to try pushing their authority just because they feel they can... I will resist. Human nature an all.

The more you resist, the more he can hurt you until you comply.

That's a two way street. One of our deputies found out the hard way that his use of force to get his way with the folks around here wouldn't stand and his throat got removed from his body with a point blank blast from a shotgun. So just remember..if you're a crooked cop(not referring to you Def), or one that thinks that badge makes you the Lone Ranger, that call you're responding to just may be a set up to deal with you permanently.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It makes me sad that so much authority is so afraid of our youth that these things keep happening. What are they so afraid of when a child is being non agressive yet with a knife that words would not have worked? Was he wearing an mp3 player? What happened that made this man so afraid of this child?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

And, the articles fails to inform the reader what's happened prior to this. Maybe he'd already caused a problem earlier (cut, killed someone?) would you want your husband, son, uncle to go in and confront a troubled soul to "try to help" a potentially dangerous individual. We don't know what the state of mind was with this guy. He could have been bent on causing death and destruction. I seriously doubt the cops had absolutely NO motivation to stop this person but killing him until the options were all used up.
Looks like "death by cop" to me (purposely getting oneself shot).

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join