It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans teen shot in the head by man who thought he was burglar

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
New Orleans teen shot in the head by man who thought he was burglar
With the shooting and subsequent trial and verdict of George Zimmerman, and perusing the news stories of the day, this came to my attention, another case of where a child was shot.

While such tragedies are terrible to think of and ultimately a problem is growing in this country, it is going to only get worse and worse as more and more come out, where it is a case of an adult shooting and potentially killing a child. And the question much be asked as to who is to blame for these tragedies.

In the article I referenced here, you have a child of 14, and it was caught on video, shown at 2 am jumping over a locked fence into a private yard, of a person he did not know, or had reason to be there. It was also shown that via the same video tape evidence, that this child did case the place before hand, and the owner came out. While there, according to what is being stated, some conflicting evidence in what occurred.

The main question has to be asked, is what is going on with society these days, where children run and do what they want and we as a society sit back and let it happen. There are many questions, as to why was this child out at 2 am in the early morning and what was he doing at that time frame? At the same time, why did the owner, while within his right, not take cover, and assess the situation before opening fire?
And ultimately, how is this going to be any different than the Zimmerman case, as the situation is much different, other than a person who is of one race, fires a weapon and shoots someone who is black. There will be excuses and ultimately, it will go to court to determine if he is guilty or not, will we see the mass protests against this person, will we see people like Sharpton, or Holder or even the President of the US, standing up to make speeches about the evils of racism in the USA, or will it be fundamentally ignored by the rest of the country, as it is a local issue and ultimately left in the proper jurisdiction of the state of Louisiana?

But more to the point, when will parents start being parents and setting guidelines and start demanding the right to punish their children for doing things that could get them shot, and take responsibility for their actions.

( Moderators, please move this to the proper setting if this is not it.)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that Coulter remains in critical condition.

If the victim is alive why is he booked for murder? Jumping the gun to start another round of media frenzy?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

We have evolved into a time when the Juvenile Delinquent Teenager has taken over the family unit.

I agree that parents should be held accountable. However, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

If something drastic isn't done we are going to see a steady incline in these sorts of incidents

edit on 29-7-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't understand how he can be charged with murder?

Also OP, I have to agree with you, where the heck where this kids parents? Especially since he has priors for burglary!!! That 14 year old should have been at home at 2 AM.

Although, having had a "trouble" teenager, I have learned that the court system gives these kids more rights than the parents.
edit on 29-7-2013 by chiefsmom because: afterthought

edit on 29-7-2013 by chiefsmom because: clarify

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
all problems with teens over the last 30yrs, started when they started arresting parents and taking their children away for whipping them.
you can say what you want, but i know that when i was in my early to late teens, i was a delinquent.
and would have been much worse if it wasn't for the one thing that always popped in my head before i did something.

What if Momma finds out! i was more afraid of what she would do vs the law.
edit on 29-7-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Homeowner Merritt Landry, 33, who lives in Marigny, allegedly shot Marshall Coulter after fearing for his safety, and told friends and family he thought the teen had a gun. Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

Do you gun owners really think that is a justifiable reason for shooting somebody in the head who isn't actually threatening you at the point you are pulling the trigger?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
one kid(Trayvon) dies and everybody goes on a rampage,
yet obama is at the helm for drone kills overseas of innocent people
and american authorizing potentials and the same community which supports
him say nothing about those deaths of children and families...L O L

oh is this kid dead, or still alive

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

What is wrong with you anti gun people? I seriously don't get your problem. This "kid" climbed over an 8 foot tall fence at 2 in the morning. Was by the homeowners car and made a move that the homeowner took for reaching for a gun. YES, I'm fine with the kid getting shot.

When it comes to me or you getting shot, I know damn well who is going to walk away and it's not the kid that jumped my fence!

A little off topic, How many safe guards does a person have to go through to protect their property? An eight foot tall wrought iron fence and a barking dog seems like a good enough deterrent to me.

I have an idea, don't be a dirtbag thief and attempt to take something that does not belong to you!

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

oh is this kid dead, or still alive

Alive, with the latest news that I read. But he is in critical condition and will likely have brain damage if he survives.

I read an article that quoted his brother:

“He was a professional thief, sure,” says his older brother David. But David goes on to say that Marshall would “never pick up a gun,” and that he is “still a little boy.”

newtotheorleans

From what I see of the Castle law in Louisiana, the kid didn't even have to appear to be reaching for a gun... he made his mistake when he climbed the 8 foot fence.

I can't wait to hear the excuses for him being in the guys backyard at that time in the morning....
'Oh, he lost a marble and thought it rolled in there.'

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
To all you anti-gun people, your kind of thinking is the problem with our country. If TPTB stood on the side of right and actually backed justice we woud see a big drop in these kind of shooting. It is emotion that this country is running on. Not, what is right or what is wrong? The age of someone means nothing if they are armed. Many criminals start at an early age. If they are armed or not, they should not be in my back yard at 2 am. That would lead me to think, they are up to no good and most likely are armed in the first place.

Before we get all emotional we need to use common sense. What happens to any punk in someones back yard at 0-dark thirty in the morning is on that individual not the property owner.

Many young men (teenagers) have killed all througout history. You have many loose screws in your head if you think these little punks don't know what they are doing is wrong. This kid probably had parents that think like these emotional thinkers. They loved him so much they coouldn't correct him. They loved him to death, literally.
If you love your child you'll correct them. But that's frowned upon now days also.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I didn't see it in the story, and maybe I missed it... But the kid actually jumped a fence and was messing around the back yard. The owner heard the dog barking and went out to investigate, saw "someone" messing around in the back yard and shot.

age doesn't mean anything in this case. There is no way the owner would have known that. 14 year olds aren't the height and build we knew them to be 10 years ago..

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Maybe Obama should have another speech to his peeps
relating directly to "Get A Job And Pay For It"
edit on 29-7-2013 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

and made a move that the homeowner took for reaching for a gun. YES, I'm fine with the kid getting shot.

I'm hardly surprised you are fine with it if you are prepared to buy explanations like "He looked like he was reaching for a gun that I hadn't seen yet."

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

SOME of them aren't. It's not a universal thing. Do you know for sure that this 14 yr old was indistinguishible from an adult? Was the guy's garden that dimly lit?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
reply to post by theRhenn

SOME of them aren't. It's not a universal thing. Do you know for sure that this 14 yr old was indistinguishible from an adult? Was the guy's garden that dimly lit?

No I dont know. I'm not saying it's universal but it MAY be a factor.

Still. It shouldn't matter. It's as the castle law states. Here are the facts.

- It's 2am in the morning
- Suspect jumped the fence
- Dogs alarmed home owner
- Home owner thought he was being burgled (ok, this one is still kind of an assumption - but more on the side of common sense)
- Home owner saw someone in his back yard
- Suspect was shot

it doesnt matter how old the kid was. It doesnt matter what color the kid was.

those are two factors that will be pointed to in the media.

edit on 29-7-2013 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The teen had a few burglary charges against him, though his family told the paper that none of those had ever been armed robberies.

bout sums it up in my book.

the argument for murder is basically "he's a thief, BUT he's a peaceful one!" sorry. i think the parents are to blame when they didn't effectively discipline the kid after the first theft.

the homeowner had no way to know that the intruder wasn't armed. he had no way to know what crime was intended.

teach your kids to not go robbing people.

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Age nor race would come to mind if I were confronting someone in my yard. And what difference does the lighting by his garden make?

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9

Age nor race would come to mind if I were confronting someone in my yard. And what difference does the lighting by his garden make?

Why, the homeowner should be required to light their property so that the thieves can see what they are going to steal.
And what's the idea or making that poor child climb an eight and a half foot fence at 2:30 am? The man should have left the gate open.

edit on 29-7-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

Are criminals a separate species for which normal rules don't apply? Since when did the death penalty for attempted theft become acceptable?

If you want to think the worst of every criminal that is out there, dont be too surprised when you attract the worst of their kind to you and they treat you with the contempt you project at them.

edit on 29-7-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Green tea through the nose!

I have now seen the error of my ways. I will put out lights and signs saying what my valuables are and where they're kept. For the sake of the children of course!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join