It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Releases Images of Earth by Distant Spacecraft

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stormcell

I absolutely love some of those.
Thanks

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
when i see stuff like this it just puts me in awe, us intelligent primates can do some pretty cool things, that is with the help of the machines we build .

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Beautiful pictures.

It brings a question to my mind though...

If Saturn is so big compared to earth,
then why doesn't Saturn appear bigger in the nights sky?

The tiny blue dot is still visible as a planet really from the pic,
and small compared to the size of Saturn.

Atmospheric interference?

The Earth is closer to the Sun and thus receives a lot more sunlight. More sunlight is reflected off the Earth so we seem brighter. Saturn is a long way off so it does not receive the same amount of light to be reflected.

P

Plus, that photo was taken from space, not through an atmosphere like on Earth.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

Those are some great pictures of me.

I just don't like when people say, "Oh man we are so small and worthless"... Don't forget, we are the entire Universe. That little blue dot is a part of the Universe, and it is alive. The Universe is our entire body, that blue dot is just a small part of us.
edit on 23-7-2013 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ionwind
NASA has uploaded some higher resolution versions of the rings and Earth picture. The resolutions are from 800x600 up to 1920x1080 (suitable for desktop wallpaper).

Cassini's raw images are 1024x1024. So those larger images are simply up-scaled, which reduces the overall quality. I prefer images at their original scale, or downsized.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Originally posted by Komodo
yep ..

and still can't get high res color pics from mars ..

awesome ..

edit on 22-7-2013 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

Still making those idiotic claims!!

yep ..

and your still making off topic posts..but since you're up coming on mod status .. they'll let it slide ..

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

sorry ..

I'm not buying this .. there's something obviously missing in this picture .. especially when the pic is able to zoom in at that distance ..

ok ..

well.. since no one has even replied to what I"m NOT seeing in the zoomed in pic (2nd one) .. maybe it's just really me.. but.. I would like to see if someone is seeing also .. what I'm not glaring not seeing in this pic.. so either it's shopped or the camera is zoomed in past what we s/b seeing ..
edit on 23-7-2013 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ionwind
The Cassini spacecraft orbiting Saturn sent back some pictures of Earth and Moon taken recently:

Pale blue dot

Earth and Moon

Close up

Earth on left, Moon on right

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

----------------

Absolutely Beautiful Pictures ! Thanks for posting these, I was just looking at these new pictures and reading the news articles.

And of course everyone's comments are " Spot On " as to the WOW Factor and how everything, all of Our History that we know of is from this little Blue Earth Planet.

Every time I see these types of Awesome and Beautiful Pictures, I like everyone else am just completely blown away!

And then of course the next obvious realization starts to occur. Namely, What and Why are We all doing here?

Every nation and culture on the face of the earth has " Their Own " Answers that " They Believe ". The Chinese, The Russians, The Middle East Nations, Israel, Iran, Iraq, Turkey. Then Europe, The United States, South America, Australia.

Every Nation has " The Right Answer " According To Them - Only Problem is, is that If Everyone is Right - Then That only Proves that Everyone is Wrong.

What is Really going on here on this little " Blue Marble " hanging and spinning around in space for endless eons of time???

Just Unbelievable the whole Awesome Story of it all.

And of course, Every Nation on Earth Knows the " Truth " Just Ask them... They'll tell you...

This picture below speaks volumes, and of course it is just another picture compiled out of all current known data. Enjoy

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

sorry ..

I'm not buying this .. there's something obviously missing in this picture .. especially when the pic is able to zoom in at that distance ..

ok ..

well.. since no one has even replied to what I"m NOT seeing in the zoomed in pic (2nd one) .. maybe it's just really me.. but.. I would like to see if someone is seeing also .. what I'm not glaring not seeing in this pic.. so either it's shopped or the camera is zoomed in past what we s/b seeing ..

OK, I'll bite. What are we supposed to be seeing?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

sorry ..

ok ..

OK, I'll bite. What are we supposed to be seeing?

i'm not going to spoon feed you the answer but keep looking ..

it's SO blazing clear ..yes?? clear enough to even see the earth from that distance .. yes ?? I'd say .. that's pretty clear.. when you're looking at that very clear picture.. keep thinking .. what am I actually seeing here.. think in terms of our solar system

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Have it your way
I think I know about the Solar System enough not to expect to see anything else there. And the image isn't crystal clear, it's more like a blown-up and cleaned up version of raw images like this one: saturn.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
beautiful, anyone else feel like they belong out there?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

The 1st picture is missing the moon. lol I see the earth, but i don't see the moon. Oops. lmfao

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by WonderBoi
reply to post by Komodo

The 1st picture is missing the moon. lol I see the earth, but i don't see the moon. Oops. lmfao

Remember, the Earth is much brighter than the moon, but according to NASA you can see the moon.

Earth, which is 898 million miles (1.44 billion kilometers) away in this image, appears as a blue dot at center right; the moon can be seen as a fainter protrusion off its right side.

www.nasa.gov...

Well let's see:

upscaled:

The yellow arrow is pointing to a smaller bulb of light at the 3 to 4 o'clock position. I guess that's our moon, if they kept the same orientation as the other two images.

Here's another look, our moon would be a "protrusion" on the right side of Earth.

It doesn't make me feel small to be honest. Just part of something greater.

edit on 23-7-2013 by ionwind because: looking for the moon

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I feel pretty small and insignificant now.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ionwind

That's not accurate, according to these pics. As you can see:
Pale blue dot

Where is the bright dot, that's supposed to be to the right of the earth, as seen in the photos below? You should be able to see it, considering you can see a few stars in the picture.

Earth and Moon

Close up

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Try looking at a higher resolution image:

1920x1080

Here's another image of the Earth and Moon taken by Cassini in 2006, you can see the moon here as well:

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 23-7-2013 by ionwind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Earth:-

Mostly harmless.

(I like how the moons natural brown color comes out in that pic)
edit on 23-7-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

the sun?
is that what is missing

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by smarterthanyou
reply to post by Komodo

the sun?
is that what is missing

well.. that very well could be .. ha ! didn't even notice that either .. but there is something else missing.. with as clear as that pic is and zoomed in ..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join