It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do You Go To Church?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical

The people in power are the same people who set up religion and continue to propagate it. If those in power didn't care for Christianity, it wouldn't still be around today. Christianity is a main part of their power structure, as is most every religion in the world.

You're completely talking out your ass. Christianity has thrived after numerous societies have tried to stamp it out with murder and persecution. From the Romans, to the Catholics, to today with Islam. The fact of the matter is governments and political figures and generally secular, and I say generally because for a large percentage of Muslim nations their leaders are Islamic.
edit on 22-7-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Pretty much EVERY U.S. president has been a Christian. Lots of Christians base their voting on if the candidate is Christian or not too. If you think those in power don't care about religion, you are badly mistaken. Religion is a control mechanism, and those in power are all about control.

I think you're the one talking out your ass. Yeah, go ahead and ignore the obvious. Religion and those in power go hand in hand.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Pretty much every US President has been a POLITICIAN. They could not get elected if they didn't claim to be a Christian. If most of them didn't care about Christianity enough to practice the faith more than just lip service what the hell makes you think they cared about fulfilling Christian prophecy???

Furthermore, before 1967 there really hadn't been any Christian prophecy being fulfilled. Since 70 AD the next even on the prophetic time clock was the restablishment of the State of Israel with Jerusalem as it's capital city and a resurrection of Hebrew. So again, you're talking directly out of your ass.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Pretty much EVERY U.S. president has been a Christian.

Since WHEN has a president ever spoke the truth?

I think it's safe to say that if a president says something, it's safe to believe the opposite

FYI, God call's them the "Synagogue of Satan".

Doesn't sound like any Christians I know.

If you wish to believe what politicians are saying, knock yourself out...

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Hitler claimed to be a Christian also. Lol.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

I think it's safe to say that if a president says something, it's safe to believe the opposite

So if a president came out and said "Hail Satan, please bless America", you would think he was the first Christian president?

It seems that anytime a Christian behaves in a way people don't like, they say "Oh... he wasn't a real Christian"

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

So if a president came out and said "Hail Satan, please bless America", you would think he was the first Christian president?

It seems that anytime a Christian behaves in a way people don't like, they say "Oh... he wasn't a real Christian"

Perhaps we say that because Jesus said that we would know the wolves from the sheep by their fruit???

Just a wild freakin guess mind you.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Hitler claimed to be a Christian also. Lol.

End of story...

History always repeats itself.

People today are apparently just as gullible.

The lesson here is that we all need to wake up and stop believing what people SAY, and start judging them by their ACTIONS.

It's time we stop believing everything we are told and start thinking for ourselves.

Study a person's behaviour not merely their words

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Perhaps we say that because Jesus said that we would know the wolves from the sheep by their fruit???

But it's also okay to be a sinner and be a Christian as long as you are "saved". I mean, that's one of the main selling points. But whenever its a public figure who sins, most other Christians shun that person and claim he wasn't really a Christian.

Muslims do this too. "Hey, remember that nice Muslim, Bob?" "Yeah, he just got nabbed for being a terrorist" "But he wasn't a real Muslim!"

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Yeah, that excuse is a really easy cop out in my opinion.

If an atheist said that Stalin wasn't a "true atheist" they'd say it's just a cop out.

If god can't look on sin, then why are Christians favored by him when they admit they are sinners? Pretty backwards thinking in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFinder
I am very curious about why so many people attend church and worship centers.

Is it to save your eternal soul? How do you know you have one?

Is it to learn to be a good person? Can't we just 'do unto others'?

Is it to give thanks for your existence? Do we have to congregate to do that?

I'm puzzled and am looking for intelligent guidance form the ATS family.

To begin with your question is a misnomer, church is not a building or a gathering place. The church is a living organism it is the body of Christ. One does not go to church one is the church. Or at least that is what the church was before Constantine turned it into a spectator sport. Prior to the organize organization of the modern church people met in homes daily not just on the day of the sun. In the N.T. Paul admonishes the saints to not forsake the meeting together because in the meeting the Holy Spirit moved and would give inspiration of songs and exhortations and prophecy. Today the church is basically dead the Holy Spirit does not move the ministers go to school to pass on the same non relevant teachings that have been taught for the last 1800 years. A very good book to read on the death of the body of Christ is the Open Church by James H. Runtz www.amazon.com... hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3lvr7lpto7_b

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Constantine was a politician as well, a politician of the most corrupt empire in history. I don't see you questioning his motives behind legalizing Christianity though. Double standard?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Yeah, but you ignore Paul's fruit. He was the most rotten fruit of all, but I guess he's the exception right?

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I simply don't go to church. I had a rather unique childhood and unfettered access to the behind the scenes going ons in not only a Catholic church (exceeding that of even most altar servers), and a small evangelical church. In my adult years I married a man whose family was heavily involved in the Methodist church his family all went to. Quite frankly all the politics involved in all three really turned me off the whole going to church experience. Little if nothing good comes out of it and honestly, I found church goers to be worse than most when it comes to justifying their crappy behavior. I put my faith in Christ and am perfectly capable of understanding his message of not putting stuff ahead of people, and forgiveness for myself.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Romans 13
1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Be careful of what you say Murgatroid, you don't want god's wrath upon you.

Obey the authorities because they were put in place by god. If you rebel against the authorities, you are rebelling against god. Politicians are part of the authorities aren't they? Why are you rebelling against god Murgatroid? You are only bringing judgement on yourself.

edit on 22-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Don't tell me what I said, tell the world because they do not know that.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

But it's also okay to be a sinner and be a Christian as long as you are "saved".

I don't really know what you're getting at. Just because a person gets saved doesn't mean they stop being a human prone to make mistakes from time to time. A Christian will feel guilt and repent, a pseudo-Christian will feel no guilt and will not repent. Being saved isn't some magic process for perfection.

posted on Jul, 22 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

If god can't look on sin, then why are Christians favored by him when they admit they are sinners? Pretty backwards thinking in my opinion.

Because God rewards honesty in introspection. He resists the self-righteous and prideful. What you said is clearly addressed by Jesus when He pointed out to his disciples in the temple the difference between the Pharisee and the Publican. The Publican, even though a sinner, walked away "justified" because he was honest, open, and contrite about his sin. The Pharisee was not justified because he was so prideful and self-righteous he thought he had no sin.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFinder

The general reason we go is to fellowship with each other. We're an extended family, bound by ties stronger than blood. Yes we worship our God too. For me, when I go to church it feels like home, because it's the only home I knew when I was homeless. I suppose you'd have to be lost and homeless to understand what it means to not belong anywhere, and have no purpose in life other than to live and die and then be forgotten.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Constantine was a politician as well, a politician of the most corrupt empire in history. I don't see you questioning his motives behind legalizing Christianity though. Double standard?

Well, don't exclude Licinius, he jointly legalized worship of Christianity. The edict of Milan, or Toleration merely made the religion legal amongst the other religion and ended the murders of Christians. Theodocius I, Constantine's 2nd successor was the Emperor to make Christianity the official religion of the Empire.

And why would I question his motives? I support liberty and freedom of religion. I don't care if people want to worship cats, go for it. The persecution for refusing to worship Caesar as God was pretty absurd of you ask me.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join