It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ashcroft Out! Also Commerce Sec. Evans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
As reported by Fox News, Att. Gen. John Ashcroft and Commerce Sec. Don Evans have submitted their resignations. Reportedly the Ashcroft resignation was submitted the day before the election.

www.msnbc.com
WASHINGTON - President Bush has accepted the resignations of Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Donald Evans, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Tuesday.

�The objective of securing the safety of Americans from crime and terror has been achieved,� Ashcroft wrote in a five-page handwritten letter to Bush.

Justice Department sources have said privately for weeks that Ashcroft, 62, who has been a lightning rod for criticism by Democrats and civil liberties activists, was not likely to continue in a second term.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Oh, great... Another "Mission Accomplished", only this one is from John Ashcroft. I am sorry, I am having a hard time remaining objective. John Ashcroft is one of the most devisive figures in the War on Terror. And I am actually glad the Father of the Patriot Act is gone.

I hope the man will be able to quietly live out his days, and believe that he did some good.

Related Links
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 11/9/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

[edit on 10-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   
CNN and Candian News have also broken the story. However, no details remain as of yet.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
take a deep breath as Goebels, I mean Ashcroft, is gone.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Don Evans resigned Tuesday, the first members of President Bush's Cabinet to leave as he headed from re-election into his second term.

The resignations were announced by White House press secretary Scott McClellan, who said Bush had accepted the decisions of both secretaries.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
United States Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Don Evans have resigned today.

Attorney General John Ashcroft has been a focal subject of critics for his use of strong tactics to fight terrorism. His aides said on Thursday, he is expected to step down. Now that he has stepped down, this makes him among the first Cabinet officials to depart after the recent election. It has been said that Ashcroft was becoming "worn down" by the intense demands of the job since the Sept. 11 attacks, according to ABC News. His health has be strained and he was out for about one year to have his gallbladder removed after a severe bout of pancreatitis. John Ashcroft is a former U.S. senator and Missouri governor, who has been at the Justice Department, advocating the USA Patriot Act.

Speculation now begins as to who his likely successor will be.

A leading contender is thought to be his former deputy,
- Larry Thompson who ran the Justice Department�s corporate-fraud task force.
- Marc Racicot, former Montana Governor and Chairman of Bush's re-election campaign.
- Alberto Gonzalas, White House Council.

Also, speculation talk has included former New York Mayor, Rudy Giuliani, although he would be quite a wild card personality that might even overshadow the current President.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
It will be Marc Racicot, I am putting my money there.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I would like to see Guilliani in the position. He does have similar expiriences that would qualify him for the job. I wish I could remember exactly, but wasn't he the Att. Gen. for New York? Or NYC? I also believe I remember that he spent a good portion of his time in that position prosecuting organized crime.

And as far as out shinning GWB... There have been times when Ashcroft has been a much large then life figure as well. It's just that Guilliani would be someone people could get behind, unlike Ashcroft.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
for this I am truly grateful...he, more than anyone else in this administration, really made me nervous. I don't think that evangelical positions of any stripe have a place in American politics as a whole...

LL1

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I would love to see Giuliani receive the position, I would really
feel secure.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Even though I voted for Bush, I didn't like this guy at all and am glad to see him gone. I'd like to see someone a little more moderate in that position.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I have to say I'm glad to see him go. I wasn't really confortable with him in that position. But the REAL question is will they take the drape off lady Justice now?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Oh Please not Racicot, he's so far to the right, the drape on lady Justice will be super glued on.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
He resigned so he can spend more time designing and building concentration camps.

As far as guilanni goes I hope you guys relise that he blamed the troops for loosing 386 tons of explosives. See my thread about it HERE. I don't know about you but if you support the troops why would you want guilanni in thier. I tell you what, I do not support this war, but I support my troops. I will not blame the missing explosives on them. End of story. Guilanni is un-patriotic.

Editfor edit's sake.

[edit on 9-11-2004 by jmilici]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I'm sure I'll get flamed, but here goes... ahem.... "Ding dong the witch is dead. Which old witch? The wicked witch. Ding dong the wicked witch is dead." I hope that was the right key.

I've been depressed since the election, my grandmother passed away two weeks ago, and no lies here, my mom's dog died today. Tough couple of weeks. But, then there's always a ray of sunshine, isn't there?

doctorduh

Will this silence all of the "is Ashcroft the anti-christ" talk? Who knows? Who's next? Will they be worse?

[edit on 9-11-2004 by doctorduh]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
You know, his Mission-Accomplished-like remark...that actually makes me feel uneasy. Sorry to throw a damper on things but while I'm glad he's outta there, I wonder what plan of his is going to be implemented now.

I just hope it means nothing more is going to be done to shred the Constitution. I just hope I'm being overly paranoid. I'm naturally paranoid to begin with.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Ashcroft was way too soft. We need someone who is really willing to get in there, crack a few heads and whip this country into shape.

America needs an Attorney General who's not afraid to bend a few rules now and then if that's what it takes to get the job done. Hopefully Ashcroft's successor won't be as forgiving as Ashcroft was.

As for Evans, as long as the next Commerce Secretary can undermine trade agreements, spy on allies and make sure America shafts its trading partners, I'll be happy.

All in all, great news for America and the world!

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I'm waiting for the back door draft on cabinet memebers. He is worn down by the job, poor him. How about the brave men and women that are on the front line every day in "the war on terror" and the war in iraq. I can not believe he can be worn down and just step aside, while the people with bullets and rockets flying by them on a daily basis are lucky when they can get a week stateside. What about not changing leaders during a time of war?

new topics

top topics

join