It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The science of training animals; An amazing dog.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The video is called Jumpy the Dog; Amazing training, smart dog, or all of the above?

I have been around animals all my life and some are very smart in their own animal kinda way while others are just plain stupid... some take a liking to you and will do anything they are capable of to please you.

One horse I had was mean to everyone but liked me...made me feel special.....we were a team doing stuff...Then my childhood dog who lived to be 24 years old eating what he could catch and table scraps...He was a big dog, protector of the farm and went every place with Danny the horse and me. Allot to be said for a good horse and dog...fond memories and times of adventure and daring do I will remember forever.

Funny, Danny hated dogs and would kill them if he got the chance...Killed two strays..He was chased as a colt by some strays and never forgot it. Yet he never went after Junior my dog...guess they had some kind of animal trues thing going on?.....

Also in another thread www.abovetopsecret.com... there are 14 heart warming stories about Animals which I found interesting...some cases have already been discussed but the link had others I was unaware of....

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There is nothing like a Blue Heeler.

Check out the amazing Skidboot.

edit on 13-7-2013 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
There is nothing like a Blue Heeler.

Wow that would be the BEST hunting partner ever!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Great video...what a cool dog.
I agree with you that dogs, just like humans, run the gamut from highly intelligent to incredibly stupid.
My sister has a dog that is very sweet and cute, but he is dumb as a post. This poor dog does not have the sense to come in out of the proverbial rain.

On the other hand, one of my best friends has a little Yorkie that is very intelligent. I was visiting one night, and the Yorkie walked into the living room to find my friend's other two dogs lying on the couch in her favorite spot.
She looked at me like " Something's wrong here!"
I said "Those dogs are in YOUR favorite spot! What are you gonna do about it?"

She looked at me, then looked back at the dogs...then back to me again. Suddenly, she ran into the kitchen and started barking furiously, like someone was coming in the back door. She was tricking the other dogs. The other two dogs bolted into the kitchen to see what the fuss was about. The Yorkie then casually strolled back into the living room, and jumped up on the couch, claiming her place. She looked at me like "Mission accomplished."

She also gets angry at people who "wrong" her. If she wants attention and you ignore her, or don't let her outside when she wants to go, she will hold a grudge. She'll look at you and walk away like "You jerk."
The grudge is usually short-lived though, and within a few hours you're "OK" again.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Amazing! Aussie cattle and sheep dogs are the coolest.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Pigs are smarter than dogs,

but fun fact! Dogs do not taste as good as bacon!

Sit ubu sit, yummy ubu.

(talented pooch, just to add.. in case of fire.)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I guess theres a thin line between teaching your dog a few tricks and being a control freak.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Our Jack, a ACD was the BEST dog we ever had. We found him living in a drainage tube on a 700 acre farm access road in 1998. We were uncertain of his age..but the vet suspected he was around 2-3 years old at the time. He died on a unseasonably warm day in Feb. of 2012
I cannot say enough about these dogs. They have this look in their eye like no other dog has..very, very intelligent..and can learn things quickly. They don't bark much and they need little care in terms of grooming. We will miss him forever!

Jack--1998 - 2/4/2012

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
The video is called Jumpy the Dog; Amazing training, smart dog, or all of the above?

I have been around animals all my life and some are very smart in their own animal kinda way while others are just plain stupid... some take a liking to you and will do anything they are capable of to please you.

One horse I had was mean to everyone but liked me...made me feel special.....we were a team doing stuff...Then my childhood dog who lived to be 24 years old eating what he could catch and table scraps...He was a big dog, protector of the farm and went every place with Danny the horse and me. Allot to be said for a good horse and dog...fond memories and times of adventure and daring do I will remember forever.

Funny, Danny hated dogs and would kill them if he got the chance...Killed two strays..He was chased as a colt by some strays and never forgot it. Yet he never went after Junior my dog...guess they had some kind of animal trues thing going on?.....

Also in another thread www.abovetopsecret.com... there are 14 heart warming stories about Animals which I found interesting...some cases have already been discussed but the link had others I was unaware of....

Wow....I just went on a bit of 'video journey' that I had forgotten where it originated from until I started closing out windows and ended up back here. Gotta tell you, I just had a life affirming moment that I believe will lead to some very big, positive things in my life. SO...thank you for this heart-warming video.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This was my best friend for 20 years.

The most loyal soul I have ever known.

I miss him daily.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Where be the science?

I think dogs are much more intelligent than many give them credit for. They just experience the world in a vastly different way, and learning how to effectively bridge that communication gap is an area where we all have a TON to learn.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

We have 2 blue healers.

One about 2-3 years old, neutered male

The other about a 1.5 year old pup, un-neutered.

I'm used to Lassie type collies and border collies.

These two seem very dense about learning how to FETCH.

I think we can get there. After all, psychologists have been taught to teach pigeons to play ping pong. You can watch that on YOUTUBE, BTW.

But it's going to take a lot more tiny steps than I'd ever thought it would with either of the blue healers.

A friend of mine has a new Corgie-border collie mix male. He's VERY SMART. Learns after 3-4 associations.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I love dogs... I have a black German Sheppard that is extremely smart. I can teach her anything, no matter how complicated a trick, it only takes her a few minutes to learn. She is only 4 months old, just like raising a child.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i have mutts. 1 is a rat terrier/chihuahua mix. Dumb as anything i have ever seen. However she is pure, 100% instinct. Around people, she is timid and scared. Get her away from humans, and she is active, outgoing, and ready to stalk/eat anything. She is the bird killer.

The other is fat, soft, and my sweetheart. She is a black doxy. Not really fat, just heavy. She has a perfect doxy physique, with the snout of a pit bull (she is a pit/doxy mix). Not smart, nor dumb. She is just very comical. Loyal, loving....i do adore her.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I love working with animals. It is true that they are very much individuals- and that is what is interesting! Much of the interest is in getting to know the particular animal and how he/she ticks.

I have a horse that is great- I had just bought her as another training project, to fix up and then resell, but we developed such a bond I couldn't part with her.
My dog of 13 years died a week ago- got in a fight with a badger that had gotten into our yard. (he's the one in my avatar)

My newest dog, Cody, is probably the smartest, most willing dog I have ever had! He learns so fast it is awesome. He's not yet a year old but already knows about 12 commands.

Besides verbal cues, I also use body cues (like hand signals) so that others can communicate with him too- even if they don't speak english like me.
edit on 13-7-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Great posts and Pics: Thanks for the comments one and all

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I enjoyed reading this entire thread along with watching videos. Thank you all for sharing.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Years ago I had a doxy named Roscoe. He was a good dog, our first family dog. The oldest son wanted Roscoe, so we bought him from a coworker for $175. Last time I will ever pay for a dog (rescues are superior animals in every single way).

We paid for obedience classes for me, my son, and Roscoe. Roscoe graduated and we learned a lot about training dogs. I had already learned about training bird dogs, but obedience training is a little different.

In any event, I don't bother training my dogs now. The older dog just shows the younger one how we do things. I don't want my dogs to sit and all that kind of stuff. They are my companions, not my pets.

I should put this in the other thread about pet names, but we called Roscoe "Roscoe P. Coltrain", and he was a good ol boy that never meaned no harm.

top topics

join