It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is faith a mental illness?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DuecesxGeneral

Everyone sees the world differently. I'm more into to science and what not. Understanding everything the laws of science and what is possible. You're right. There is a lot of corruption and ugliness in this world. I'm amazed how people can want to live this life. Is this our nature or what? I'm not a believer in sin, but it seems a majority of people are maniacs. It's a crazy world we live in today.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I put my bread under the grill - it's a perfect distance distance from the bread to make it toast. Must be god.

This kirk cameron banana coke rubbish is tedious. Your god didn't do it. Nature did. Chance did. There is a lot more to nature than just popping into existence.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
so tell me what is nature? what are all these natural rules? And for all this madness going around so tell me is it God the most high causing this corruption or is it humankind, and unknown forces that is causing all this?

And not everyone is mad some people actually want to live a pious humble life. So these people are mad for wanting this? should they be instituted?
Just because this corruption is allowed does not mean He is pleased
edit on 13-7-2013 by DuecesxGeneral because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonPeter
reply to post by Samuelis

No I mean when you gain some wisdom and realize you don't know everything like we all did when we were in our twenties .Evidently you believe that experience and wisdom means nothing .

No i just believe that age doesn't necessarily equal wisdom. Just like ancient texts aren't necessarily true because they are old. I'd rather die with dignity than beg for forgiveness just to get a ticket into fairyland.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

Symptoms

According to the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria for delusional disorder, grandiose-type symptoms include grossly exaggerated belief of:
self-worth
power
knowledge
identity
exceptional relationship to a divinity or famous person

Can you tell me where you sourced this from please?

And why have you used this quote to show that 'faith' is a mental illness?
In the above quote it says you are mentally ill if you 'believe in yourself'! Identity and self worth are in the quote above - what are those?
I see that 'exceptional relationship to a divinity or famous person' is last on the list.

I would be interested in reading the whole article.
edit on 13-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

To be fair it does say a "gross exaggeration of" the listed symptoms.
It's from the Wikipedia page under Grandiose Delusions
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 13-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   

To be fair it does say a "gross exaggeration of" the listed symptoms.
It's from the Wikipedia page under Grandiose Delusional disorder.

So if you believe in yourself 'grossly' you are suffering from a mental illness. If you believe in anything 'grossly' you are suffering from a mental illness . It is not about religion really - is it?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I have now read the link you provided and it seems the more educated you are the more likely you are to be mental (suffer from GD).
So it would imply that 'education' can cause it!

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Research suggests that the severity of the delusions of grandeur is directly related to a higher self-esteem in individuals and inversely related to any individual’s severity of depression and negative self-evaluations.[3] Lucas et al. found that there is no significant gender difference in the establishment of grandiose delusion. However, there is a claim that ‘the particular component of Grandiose delusion’ may be variable across both genders.[2] Also, it had been noted that the presence of GDs in people with at least grammar or high school education was greater than lesser educated persons. Similarly, the presence of grandiose delusions in individuals who are the eldest is greater than in individuals who are the youngest of their siblings.
en.wikipedia.org...
It seems it is high 'self esteem' that starts the ball rolling. The belief in the self as an individual is the root cause for all mental suffering.

The 'individual' is divided from the whole so it suffers.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

No its specifically about grandiose-type delusions that I used as an example of the similarities between religious fanaticism and a mental disorder. But in saying that it does state on that page that there can also be more mild cases, with much lower levels of delusions, but are not severe enough for diagnosis. It also says that delusions can be helpful for some people to feel better about who they are, which I think draws more similarities to people of organised faith. A fear of the unknown for example.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

I have now read the link you provided and it seems the more educated you are the more likely you are to be mental (suffer from GD).

Or maybe more specifically indoctrination. Or maybe an inflated sense or morality could be another example that many religious folk seem to have.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Or maybe more specifically indoctrination. Or maybe an inflated sense or morality could be another example that many religious folk seem to have.

'Education' as in - "Also, it had been noted that the presence of GDs in people with at least grammar or high school education was greater than lesser educated persons." 'Indoctrination' is not mentioned in the article. However, if you are stuck on the idea that it is 'religion' that causes GD you will assume 'indoctrination' causes GD.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness

edit on 13-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness

Yes - she is highly educated and has a belief.
She 'thinks' that she 'knows'.

It is strongly held beliefs that are GD.
Do you believe her because she is highly educated?

In response to a question about the future of neuroscience, Taylor said that "One of the surprises may be to see people with certain beliefs as people who can be treated," The Times of London notes.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Yes - he is highly educated and has a belief.
He 'thinks' that he 'knows'.

Are you saying your opinion as a Christian is more well informed than a neuroscientist?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Yes - he is highly educated and has a belief.
He 'thinks' that he 'knows'.

Are you saying your opinion as a Christian is more well informed than a neuroscientist?

What has made you assume that I am a Christian?
Have you 'believed' something without any evidence? It seems that you had enough 'faith' in your belief that I am a Christian to write the post above.

If a neuroscientist is going to cure 'false beliefs' then they will be very busy.
See how many 'false beliefs' the mind presents you with today. You can watch the mind trying to deceive you. It is amazing that what the mind says is believed so much without question. It is the human condition - some suffer from it more than others.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Faith is not an illness, but blind, fanatical faith is in my opinion.

We see what faith can and has done to people in the middle east, and if you go around cutting people's heads off and blowing them up because of what you believe, then that is the same as having something wrong with you mentally.

If someone in America were to go around killing people, they'd be labeled clinically and mentally insane, so I don't think it should be viewed any differently when it's done in the name of religion.
edit on 12-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

People in America go to other countries and kill.
Having faith in your own government is no different.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

I'm pretty sure nobody has faith in their government.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Do you have a reply for the post I posted to you?

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

I put my bread under the grill - it's a perfect distance distance from the bread to make it toast. Must be god.

This kirk cameron banana coke rubbish is tedious. Your god didn't do it. Nature did. Chance did. There is a lot more to nature than just popping into existence.

Lol, horrible choice of analogy. The toaster didn't happen by chance in nature, it had a designer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join