Is faith a mental illness?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

I have faith and i dont hear voices in my head and im not fatally ill, just like many other muslims

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake

Originally posted by Samuelis

divinity or famous person

edit on 12-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

Finally, they got this part right. But really, is it wrong to have a role-model?
edit on 12-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

No it isn't, unless you are praying to your role model daily and forcing your children to do the same. At least human role model exists and has basis in reality.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
With faith one needs to have self control. It can go too far and one can lose it. Once it starts to become an OCD, it is time to look at self control, drop it a notch, but never give up! Many of us have almost crossed the line to "crazy faith".

The path a believer walks is not an easy one. To say, to have little faith is better than nothing. But, to have "faith" that is so over the top where it can hurt loved ones and any other person is a big fail. To me I see it as possession/spiritual attack. One don't realize that your belief is actually turning people away from our Father.

To us who meditate for an hour+ at a time will know how we can be spiritually attacked in that time. It can get quite serious and that is when one can lose it and fight it the wrong way.

Look at Jesus, look how He handled certain situations. He was not loud. Being calm, to have patience and TRUST is something I truly concentrate on before I meditate.

Even a fool is wise when his lips are sealed, yes! But, as I write this here, I know there will be some who will say, or think, "yeah, another loon".

*I don't doubt it. Taking your faith way over the top will make you go crazy, and you'll end up taking chill pills, or whatever they give one.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuecesxGeneral

I have faith and i dont hear voices in my head and im not fatally ill, just like many other muslims

So god doesn't speak to you? How do you know he's real then?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I made it fairly clear that the discussion was aimed toward organised religion and fanaticism. However you make a good point with regard to spirituality in general. It's my opinion that a spiritual experience isn't the same as an unhealthy obsession with a fictional organised religion.

As for anger and narrow mindedness with regards to your belief system is actually a well documented side effect of mental illness. You might want to do some reading up if you want to debate with the adults.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I wouldn't think you would see it . Don't feel sorry for me . One day you might grow old enough to see it the other way.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

You mean once my mental faculties begin to deteriorate?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Just look at the world around you can you actually believe that this world just just so happened to be created by accident.
Can you really believe that everything that is going around the world is happening around us by accident.
I do not need God, The Most High, to reveal himself to me or speak to me, because i believe in him as i see him in person,and i do not associate any partners with him.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DuecesxGeneral

What do you mean "the world was created by accident?" I'm just curious because I like to ask questions and understand others better.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Cuervo

I made it fairly clear that the discussion was aimed toward organised religion and fanaticism. However you make a good point with regard to spirituality in general. It's my opinion that a spiritual experience isn't the same as an unhealthy obsession with a fictional organised religion.

Even if that experience includes a relationship with a deity?

reply to post by Cuervo

As for anger and narrow mindedness with regards to your belief system is actually a well documented side effect of mental illness. You might want to do some reading up if you want to debate with the adults.

What is my belief system?

Just as a side-note, I've noticed a trend on ATS where a poster will start accusing other users of being children when they feel cornered so I'll just let it go.

I understand if you are filled with angst against organized religion. I used to be too until I decided that everybody has their own paths and, fortunately, my path allows for people of all other faiths to simply be. I cannot argue a person's human experience and neither can you.

What you and I are debating here is semantics. You weren't very exclusionary in your OP and I probably knew it better than I'm admitting. I guess I just get upset when I spend so much time defending lifestyles against fundamentalist religious people that I get exasperated when I see the same thing being thrown at them. Fighting fire with fire only works if you want to burn the world down.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

No I mean when you gain some wisdom and realize you don't know everything like we all did when we were in our twenties .Evidently you believe that experience and wisdom means nothing .

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It's some kind of ailment because those who have a faith need a crutch!!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I know He is real in spirit. To explain it to you, I cannot. To explain to you the love you experience when you get touched in spirit, I too cannot. And I can go on to say that when you are in meditation/prayer and your soul gets lifted with the joy of salvation, the serenity! The AWESOME power you feel all around you and within you, and you know that awesomeness is not of here, it is so omnipotent, and you know it in your spirit.

Best of all is, you KNOW in spirit that it is Him and He loves us beyond our comprehension. No matter what.

It is spiritual. To experience for oneself is the only way. It takes faith, perserverence, hope, patience and trust. Of course with prayer is the only way to get the answer "is God real?"

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Oh sweet! Maybe I can get handicap plates and disability payments from Uncle Sam!

This is great news.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Medication for religious fanaticism?

That's rich!

They'll be advertising on TV soon enough... some side effects include, depression, anxiety, dry mouth, itchiness, loss of appetite, loss of hearing, sudden blindness, heart attack, stroke, and anal leakage...

True story

Medical marijuana perhaps?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Even if that experience includes a relationship with a deity?

By today's medical standards that would be reason enough to be institutionalised. Whether I agree with that or not is a different story.

In that circumstance I don't believe it would be considered blind faith, as unlike religion you have p personal proof of something supernatural occurring.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

The sun is perfectly distant as if it was a way to condition our life. If the sun was a little farther this planet would freeze and if it was a little closer we would burn.
If you look into the study of the earth very little changes or if certain features such as mountains weren't created, it would cause such instability that there wouldn't be human life on earth.
Have you ever looked at a fruit , like how when you peel it, its as if it was ready for us.
The bodies of water on this planet. Most of the water is undrinkable but bodies of water are placed on this earth specifically for creatures such as us to drink from.

I really don't think any of this could have happened by accident. When you see a plane you think wow how can it stay a float, but when we look at clouds its so natural.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DuecesxGeneral

You good have explain your reply better. A plane flies and a boat floats haha. It's okay, but I'm skeptical if there was something that created everything in existence. Anyhow thanks for replying.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

hahaha but you got my point. i know what you mean but for me, i'm more skeptical to the idea that this world doesn't have a creator.
I mean this world must have natural laws which it does.
Especially since there's so much corruption on this earth and its increasing meaning the truh is going to have to shine so much harder.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuecesxGeneral

Just look at the world around you can you actually believe that this world just just so happened to be created by accident.
Can you really believe that everything that is going around the world is happening around us by accident.
I do not need God, The Most High, to reveal himself to me or speak to me, because i believe in him as i see him in person,and i do not associate any partners with him.

I look around the world and see a mess.

If your god did this, why are you not holding him to answer for his crimes?

Your god is a tyrant. And yet, you love him...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join