Is faith a mental illness?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Symptoms

According to the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria for delusional disorder, grandiose-type symptoms include grossly exaggerated belief of:
self-worth
power
knowledge
identity
exceptional relationship to a divinity or famous person

I'm not attempting to insult or offend with this thread, instead I want to explore the possibility that many instances of religious fanaticism may in fact be a sign of clinical Delusions of Grandeur, and may be a cureable illness with use of medication and psychological guidance.

This would make sense as usually religion is only accepted when a person is either too young to make informed decisions or in times of mental distress.

As it sure to be a touchy subject I wanted to make clear this thread is not meant for all religious people, instead more aimed toward the aggressive side of religion.

Is faith a mental illness?

edit on 12-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have looked after mentally ill people who have taken their faith a step to far and It has destroyed their life.
They hear voices and think that they are voices from God and believe those voices and act on them...to them they are in the right but to see what they do...well they are not sane..it is a great shame.
I have seen on many occasions threads where I worry about the OP's mental health and many of them are in the Religion boards.
It is like anything you can get obsessed by a topic and it can consume you mentally.
Blind faith I think is a mental illness, without the logic or understanding behind that faith you can go nuts.
Religion can make good men do bad things...that is mentally ill.
edit on 12-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
To be honest I would agree faith and mental illness can go hand and hand together. However, I don't think faith is a mental illness. Because a lot of people who who are religious do foolish things like everyone else. However, they can rational too. I think the average individual can be very gullible and by nature we're very irrational. I would like to more into human psychology and how faith is involved. You have to remember faith is not only a word used to describe belief in a deity or religion. It can also describe people who worship things, people, etc. This should be a good topic.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Faith is not an illness, but blind, fanatical faith is in my opinion.

We see what faith can and has done to people in the middle east, and if you go around cutting people's heads off and blowing them up because of what you believe, then that is the same as having something wrong with you mentally.

If someone in America were to go around killing people, they'd be labeled clinically and mentally insane, so I don't think it should be viewed any differently when it's done in the name of religion.
edit on 12-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I would argue that mentally ill are more susceptible to religious beliefs as opposed too what the title suggest, I don't think all religious people are ill, other factors such as culture and conditioning also play a significant role in religious beliefs. I expect a lot of bias form both sides in this thread.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Medication for religious fanaticism?

That's rich!

They'll be advertising on TV soon enough... some side effects include, depression, anxiety, dry mouth, itchiness, loss of appetite, loss of hearing, sudden blindness, heart attack, stroke, and anal leakage...

True story

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Religion can make good men do bad things...that is mentally ill.
edit on 12-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Very well said. I couldn't agree more.
Do you believe most sufferers of GD were from backgrounds of faith? Or equally from both sides?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Faith is irrationality.

It is more specifically described as an action or opinion given through inadequate use of reason, emotional distress, or cognitive deficiency. The term is used, usually pejoratively, to describe thinking and actions that are, or appear to be, less useful, or more illogical than other more rational alternatives.

I do not have any evidence of something being true, except for people who believe and have passed this down for generations, where such a belief would be a powerful tool of manipulation and rule.

As Christianity goes, you didn't really see the abuses of power until centuries later at their peak. Wielding Christianity as a weapon.

In Islam, the very foundation was used while cities were sacked and standing rule was toppled.

Not saying either is better than the other, but for anyone to put "faith" into these two institutions, I see it no different than joining a cult.

Now cue the offended ones to come in and tell me that there is proof of everything, that it isn't about politics and I don't understand religion.

Go!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I used to hate the clergy coming around my mental ward, I heard them say to ill folk who are really wanting to be better "If you accept Jesus you will get well" so they did and I had to take my patients to church (once my patient stood up interrupted a sermon and proclaimed he was Jesus, that was a bad day) but when after a few months the voices didn't go away they turned on Religion and us...it destroyed them.
Mental illness can come from all sides, I do think some people are just more susceptible to it and certain stimulus including blind faith,drugs,bad upbringing and abuse etc can help the illness progress.
I once knew a lady a devout Catholic btw who tried to burn her house down with her 5 kids in because Mary told her to do it.
Eeee tbh Iam so glad I got out of it...my own mental health was at risk doing that job.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Haha, that made me laugh.
I would prefer a life of worship over anal leakage any day.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I don't think faith is a mental illness.

Mentally ill people can express faith based ideas like God talking to them etc just like a mentally ill person who believes himself to be a great scientist can speak some scientific gibberish but then we wouldn't be asking if belief in science is a mental illness!

Even blind faith is not mental illness as it is a choice, however it sure is a pathetic choice!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

I'm not attempting to insult or offend with this thread,

Yes. Yes you are.

If faith is a mental illness then it is an epidemic that has persisted since the dawn of humanity. It is not insanity to connect to the other side any more than it is insanity to believe in love, hate, or any other non-personified emotion that can't be measured or weighed.

I know you put a disclaimer saying that this was aimed for the zealot types but your claim says otherwise.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

no it is not
the churches of scientism and psycho-"therapy"

want you to believe so

"ironically" using the same arguments appearing in the Canon_Episcopi
[and ever increasingly used here to poopoo and otherwise troll,religious, spiritual, and esoteric threads]

[emphasis and parentheses mine]

The Canon Episcopi has received a great deal of attention from historians of the witch craze period as early documentation of the Catholic church's theological position on the question of witchcraft.
The position taken by the author is that these "rides of Diana" did not actually exist, that they are deceptions, dreams or phantasms. It is the belief in the reality of such deceptions which is considered a heresy worthy of excommunication. [or grounds for being declared mentally incompetent ]The position here is that the devil is real, creating delusions in the mind, but that the delusions do not have bodily reality. This skeptical treatment of magic sharply contrasts with the sanction of witch trials by the church in later centuries, beginning with the bull Summis desiderantes affectibus (1484).[6] The proponents of these trials from were aware of this problem, and the authors of the Malleus Maleficarum, a witch-hunter's manual from 1487 that played a key role in the witch craze, were forced to argue for a reinterpretation of the Canon Episcopi in order to reconcile their beliefs that witchcraft was both real and effective with those expressed in the Canon.[7] Their detractors in the 16th and 17th century also made reference to the canon, e.g. Johann Weyer in his De praestigiis daemonum (1563).[page needed]

meanwhile the fundamentalists that troll the ufo, spirituality, and esoteric threads, with their obnoxious "aliens are demons" and "meditation is of SATAN!"
are using the same arguments the witch-burners and the Inquisition used after convincing the sheeple [the flock] of those days that the Canon Episcopi was wrong or misinterpreted.

history does not repeat itself, but sometimes it rhymes.

as for the DSM it's been shown by recent history, that it's definitions are subject to political tides

being a black man who believed in the existence of institutionalized racism "to keep the black man down"back in the 60's could if one was not careful, get you diagnosed as "schizophrenic" and institutionalized due to a conveniently sudden redefinition of the term.
www.psychologytoday.com...

What I found troubled me greatly. As I write in the book, "the charts documented in minute detail the tragedy of what it meant to be warehoused in a state asylum at mid-century—and, in particular, in an asylum where short court sentences devolved into lifelong incarceration. A number of charts contained yearly notes from patients to their doctors voicing such sentiments as Doc, I really think I am cured or Dear Doctor, I believe I am ready to go home, or, You have no right to keep me here. These letters stacked thirty-deep in some charts, signifying years of pleading and longing and anger, together with thirty years of responses from clinicians urging, You are almost there, or: Perhaps next year. Invariably, the last note in each stack was a death certificate from the Ionia coroner."

When did you first suspect that diagnostic patterns with schizophrenia had become heavily racialized?

I found dramatic racial and gender shifts in persons diagnosed with schizophrenia at Ionia during the 1960s—so much so that schizophrenia's racial and gendered transformation became the central narrative of my book. This shift became apparent very early in my research. Before the 60s, Ionia doctors viewed schizophrenia as an illness that afflicted nonviolent, white, petty criminals, including the hospital's considerable population of women from rural Michigan. Charts emphasized the negative impact of "schizophrenogenic styles" on these women's abilities to perform their duties as mothers and wives.

To say the least, these patients were not seen as threatening. This patient wasn't able to take care of her family as she should, read one chart; another, This patient is not well adjusted and can't do her housework; and another, She got confused and talked too loudly and embarrassed her husband.

By the mid- to late-1960s, however, schizophrenia was a diagnosis disproportionately applied to the hospital's growing population of African American men from urban Detroit. Perhaps the most shocking evidence I uncovered was that hospital charts "diagnosed" these men in part because of their symptoms, but also because of their connections to the civil rights movement. Many of the men were sent to Ionia after convictions for crimes that ranged from armed robbery to participation in civil-rights protests, to property destruction during periods of civil unrest, such as the Detroit riots of 1968. Charts stressed how hallucinations and delusions rendered these men as threats not only to other patients, but also to clinicians, ward attendants, and to society itself. You'd see comments like Paranoid against his doctors and the police. Or, Would be a danger to society were he not in an institution.

or take the case of ODD
which can be conveniently be used in a similar fashion to get rid of Enemies of the State by declaring them "mentally ill"
[do be fooled by the seeming limitation to children as the above case shows it can be suddenly and conveniently redefined ]

The child must exhibit 4 out of the 8 signs and symptoms listed below in order to meet the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic threshold for oppositional defiant disorder[8]
Actively refuses to comply with majority's requests or consensus-supported rules[9]

Performs actions deliberately to annoy others[9]

Angry and resentful of others[7]

Argues often[7]

Blames others for his or her own mistakes[10]

Often loses temper[10]

Spiteful or seeks revenge[10]

Touchy or easily annoyed[10]

Generally, these patterns of behavior will lead to problems at school and other social venues.[7]

in brief OP I would be careful to not go around labeling and judging others

after all this a CONSPIRACY website, and your posting on this site could get you branded as a Conspiracy Theorist: "an insane tinfoil hat wearing kook" as is widely "known" thanks to the tireless efforts of sociopathic*COUGH!*
i mean lofty pillars of "Sanity" in service of the State.

edit on 12-7-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Faith in itself is absolutely not a mental illness, but mentally ill people with faith can become extremely delusional. Zealotry isn't exclusive to people of faith. Look at some of the actions of the more extreme members of Greenpeace, PETA, even some supposed civic minded organizations like the New Black Panthers and you will see overly zealous and somewhat delusional behaviors as well.

There are over the top members in every kind of social organization. That doesn't mean that they are all over the top, it just means that every family has it's black sheep.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I don't think faith is a mental illness, but some with mental illnesses look to faith to help them through life. Just as there are people with mental conditions everywhere in the world, there are some in religion. They tend to go a little overboard sometimes when they join the church but you rarely hear of them doing things that are wrong. They would probably be much worse off without their faith. The rest of us are probably better off with them in the church where there are good people to watch after them.

When we trigger certain chemicals to release in our brain it brings along euphoria. This can be done both with certain foods and drugs or by triggering parts of the brain to secrete chemicals by meditating, frequencies, or desire. This happens to some people in church, but once the chemicals subside the person returns back to normal. Nothing to worry about. Even lettuce and pumpkin pie are drugs. Meat, milk, and eggs all have certain properties that can make a person a little dopey. It's nothing to really worry about, the effects of this chemistry are usually not bad for society, in fact they may be good.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think that most people who are Christian have already been where those that are not Christian and made decisions based on their life experiences and a reckoning with them selves . These people aren't nuts and function very well in society . They have looked at what the world offers and look to a higher authority than man .Most are older and have had most of the foolishness slung out of them . They aren't bullet proof any more as age and wisdom sinks in . These people like Abraham of old times realize that there is something more than man and science is offering for answers .
On the other hand those so indulged in the world and all it's distractions have no time to search for a reckoning with themselves and what it's all about . The materialism and vices of their lives dictate their reality . Those who drink and smoke can only exist where such is allowed . Those that drug build their own prisons and dwell there in . Those who sell their souls for materialism and serve the god of glitter are doomed to that hell . And they call Christians deluded and weak people .
Don't ever think that you don't serve a god religiously , because you do . Some more than others . Some serve their own self interest and vanity or pride .

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Yes. Yes you are.

If faith is a mental illness then it is an epidemic that has persisted since the dawn of humanity. It is not insanity to connect to the other side any more than it is insanity to believe in love, hate, or any other non-personified emotion that can't be measured or weighed.

I know you put a disclaimer saying that this was aimed for the zealot types but your claim says otherwise.

No. No I'm not. If someone today claimed they were talking to god and acting on his will they would be given a week in a facility.

What makes the claims in the bible any different?

Being easily offended and angered is actually a marker of mental illness.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

divinity or famous person

edit on 12-7-2013 by Samuelis because: (no reason given)

Finally, they got this part right. But really, is it wrong to have a role-model?
edit on 12-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Yes. Yes you are.

No. No I'm not. If someone today claimed they were talking to god and acting on his will they would be given a week in a facility.

There is a spirit world that people are able to connect with. According to you, I am crazy as well as a HUGE portion of the population. We are not committed to institutions in straight-jackets because there are enough people throughout every segment of society that have these experiences.

Basically, what you are saying is that since you are not among the population of people who have spiritual or religious experiences, whoever does have them should be in mental institutions. Do people accuse you of being handicapped for not having this connection?

It's not insanity. It's just a different way to experience.

What makes the claims in the bible any different?

Since when did the subject change to the bible?

You were saying that people who have religious experiences and are connected to a divine source, no matter what their name for it is, is insane.

Being easily offended and angered is actually a marker of mental illness.

Oh, I found the book you are quoting from! You're right!

Mental illness

noun

Any of the various forms of psychosis or severe neurosis. Also called mental disorder, mental disease, or anything that Samuelis decides to call a "mental illness".

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonPeter

I would argue that they are not actually seeking a higher authority than man as much of today's religion was written by the hand of men. Your typical stereotyping of non religious people as being consumed by vanity and materialism is absolutely false and delusional. I find it humorous that you think this way and also feel slightly sorry for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join