It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain calls Morsi ouster a coup d’etat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
. . . and from the files marked "Statements from Mr. Obvious", the geriatric Senator from Arizona weighs in on why Egypt is a bad bad thing while (we presume) Syria is somehow radically different and we need never think of the two together.

"It was a coup and it was the second time in two and a half years that we have seen the military step in," McCain said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

"Reluctantly I believe that we have to suspend aid until such time as there is a new constitution and a free and fair election,” McCain added.

. . .

“Morsi was a terrible president, their economy is in terrible shape thanks to their policies but the fact is the United States should not be supporting this coup. And it's a tough call," McCain added.

I guess John figures elections are a national suicide-pact. If things are going very badly and off the rails, his concept of values demands the legitimate Government be respected and left in place no matter what.

Of course, to some, there are much larger issues than principle. There is politics and money.

The White House is declining to call Morsi’s removal a coup. Using that language could trigger laws which would block the U.S. from sending the $1.5 billion in annual aid provided to Egypt.
Source

I do believe people in our current Government check polls, political advisers and consider the consequences carefully before so much as saying Good Morning to the kitchen help. Are statements ever made from meaning and conviction instead of politically chosen wording for maximum impact or lack of one?

Anyway... I find it ironic how the Military control of Egypt to oust Morsi (a Jihadi at heart) is a baaad thing while supporting Jihadi's (Like Morsi at heart) to violently overthrow the legitimate Government of Syria is not only okay, but a moral imperative to listen to McCain tell it.

We have some very warped people running this nation with some hopelessly warped definitions or moral and just on any level.

edit on 7-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I only agree with him on one thing. Stop sending Military aid to Egypt.

I would also say this. Start spending money here, at home, to fix our broken infrastructure, and help those who tend to help themselves. Namely Americans.

McCain will always be an American Hero. Politics? Hes lost his touch years ago.

S&F

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This whole thing must scare the hell out of our politicians.

To see the images of people and the Military taking control.

Once again, we backed the wrong guy in Morsi.

When will we learn to quit installing leaders in the ME.

We absolutely never get it right.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
So first uprising that military help oust corrupt US backed government= Arab Spring.

US helps back Muslim Brotherhood with massive amounts of aid.

Same people who originally rioted and revolted against US backed Regime unsurprisingly do so against the new US backed regime. = Military coupe d'etat

Right...
edit on 7-7-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
So when is McCain going to officially join the Democrat Party?

I agree with others, leave the affairs of other nations to themselves. The Imperialistic approach to US foreign policy is just alienating them to the entire globe.

No more aid to the middle east, let them deal with their own problems, start improving the lives of Americans (and not big corporations bottom lines)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Well according to the IRS, there were 134.4 million tax returns filed in 2005 (latest year the information is available) and Egypt received $1.5 Billion...So maybe we are eligible for an additional $11.16 this year if the government would be so inclined to return that money to the taxpayer.

So for just 3 cents per day, far less than you would find crossing the parking lot at Walmart, you can sponsor a whole other nation's rise to oppression and tyranny throughout their county and local region. That's kinda a better deal than what Sally Struthers would pitch in those informercials without playing on your heartstrings with images of impoverished children. But you don't get any letters for aspiring dictators either at this low price...so I guess you get what you pay for.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

The reason their scared about out is cause it implants the idea of a second revolution in the United States. In our counties revolution the politicians will not just be ousted, they will be executed. Now you know why they are all scared right now.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Three things.

1) McCain has gone erratic. Partisan opinions aside, he doesn't make sense from one statement to the next.
2) Egypts military acted on behalf of it's people, calling it a Coup D'etat smacks of agenda (agenda that is coming from the two party (one) charade).
3) Egyptians want us to stop aid.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
S&F. I hope McCrank retires soon. I would like to keep a tiny bit of the respect I once had for the idiot.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
McCain is a walking and talking mummy that needs to be returned to his coffin and put it to rest with a spell so he can never come back to life.

That is all I am going to say.
edit on 7-7-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by setibuddies

The kind of McCain elite group never goes into retirement they still influence the government behind the close doors of the shadow government, just because you never get to hear about Dicky Chenny doesn't mean he is gone, neither any of the infamous Carlyle group and all those old geezers that from election past.

They are still very much screwing the nation.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
John McCain hasn't had an original thought in years. He parrots back what some in the GOP tell him to say. The shadow govt. that Marg6043 alluded to...

However the McCain-Palin campaign for the white house will always be fondly remembered. If politics is the entertainment arm of the military/industrial complex as Zappa said; Palin/McCain was a fantastic show.
edit on 7-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Who cares what McCain says, he's an embarasment to Arizona.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Obama and McCain work for the same team. And it isn't us.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

John McCain hasn't had an original thought in years. He parrots back what some in the GOP tell him to say.

Actually it's more probable he does what the DNC wants him to say. He votes with them a lot more than with the Republicans.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Yes, both are big-government progressives. McCain attacks Conservative voices.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
McCain is just setting up the GOP to go after Obama when the US role in the coup is leaked. Obama is anti democracy etc. Just political posturing. On the plus side McCain will see aid flowing to the Syrian rebels from Egypt now. The Egyotian military has no interest in playing nice with Iran.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Say what you will, but Egypt's Military has been the only constant the U.S. can count on in Egypt. Our continual military aid has ensured that. The Camp David Peace Treaty has held all of this time. Most of the military leaders there are Western trained mainly at US military academies. The Egyptian Military leaders are about the best hope we have to ensure Egypt stay stable and pro Western.

It would be different if their Military was planning on staying in power, but all indications are it will move as quickly as possible to civilian rule. Our relationship with Egypt's Military has probably made that happen. If we didn't have that relationship, it would be Military Junta rule there for ever.

IMO, it's stupid to not support the only thing in Egypt that will prevent it from going down the tubes in anarchy. But never let it be said that our Government isn't stupid.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

So .. the people of Egypt recognized that they made a mistake in putting the Muslim Brotherhood in and they fixed their mistake ... so McCain wants to punish them??? Obama said basically the same thing. Someone wanna' try to tell me how these two are any different from each other???

Hey Obama and McCain ... MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS .. Leave Egypt Alone!!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Who cares what McCain says, he's an embarrassment to Arizona.

I wouldn't care what McCain says if he weren't one of the most senior members of the U.S. Senate. It puts him in the highest circles of power for the U.S. and little happens that he isn't aware of and somehow involved in.

I'd have thought about it as a personal favor if Arizona could have trashed him like week old lettuce in the last election. As another post mentions, it's a mixed bag because John McCain IS a war hero in the most traditional sense. However, what he once was and what he's become are radically different things. Once I'm sure he cussed some of the politicians who were so hot for war that he and his friends ended up enjoying a Hotel stay in Hanoi, Vietnam. Now? He's not only become one himself, he's become much worse.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join