It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Statement from Edward Snowden

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by talisman
I disagree. Obama and the powers that be are not afraid. This is why they do what they do.
The Gov should fear the people, that is how it should be. The Gov for and by the people. Its out of control, and has very little regard for any of us. They have no fear, they are arrogant and we are truly powerless because most people are more interested in whats on television or the newest movie or game that will come out.

People, blog about the new Star Wars movie, or argue about the Hulk vs whomever and which team has won its championship etc.

The Gov knows this and just continues doing what it does.
edit on 1-7-2013 by talisman because: (no reason given)

Everything you say is true, but I don't think the disinterest of the population is the only reason.

They have now set in place such a strong wall, there is not anything to be done in the normal ways. Your voice will not be heard, your votes do not count, there is no control of your state reps and going to them will get you no where!

It is done, the control is out of the hands of the public and the only time something comes of the public desires being met, is when they want the same thing, leaving us with the false impression that we have accomplished something.

And everything you say is also true.

So we are left with only one scenario. The whole deck of cards will have to come crashing down, and then be rebuilt, hopefully in a wiser way.

I find it odd that people can imagine this massive mess being solved by any conventional means. Nothing short of a full-on revolution is going to solve anything here.

It has always come to a head in the past, and it will again this time.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by citizenx1

PS: Even though none of you have ever seen me, in person, i assure you that i do exist.

Sincerely, Edward Joseph Snowden
2 July 2013

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
powerful message

Its going to fire-up and piss off people at the same time.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GEMINI052165
I agree with most of the comments so far.

The NSA has been spying on Americans ever since its existence, maybe not to the great extent that it is doing today. I don’t mind them listening in on our conversations if it can save us from having another 9/11. But, the thing that upsets me is that it didn't stop 9/11, or the first attack to the WTC, the USS Cole bombing, and the most recent Boston bombing. I do understand and believe that they have prevented 100’s maybe even 1000’s of potential attacks on US soil, and possibly over seas. In my opinion the NSA has gotten to big and maybe there should be some changes. Just like the IRS.

If you give someone and inch, they will always want a mile. _javascript:icon('
')

All well and good, and some may argue the same is true of spying on foreign governments but I'd ask this - what right does the US government have to spy on me, my family and friends? Why are we assumed to be potentially guilty of some heinous crime and not able to find out this important fact?

I'm far from convinced that the value of this and similar actions by my own government are proportionate to the benefits we derive from surrendering our privacy. As such, i fully refute and contest this type of activity against civilians.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by uncommitted
...he is taking data that is not his to take...

Oh the irony.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackz28
when putin & china & all the countries are done wringing him out like a wet rag & they have all the info they need
they are going to throw him to the wind lol, this isnt the way he thought it would play out

All things considered he's not done too bad so far. There is no way this ends well for him and he must have known that. There are no happy endings.

His life has to be entirely destroyed to discourage others from ever exposing wrongdoing and it will be.

His best case scenario is living his life in poverty forgotten far from home. Worst case is he comes home and gets sentenced to 50 years in one of americas federal prisons.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye

It's so obnoxious to see the reports of the MSM about his last statement, simply a bunch of twisted lies piled up to manipulate the population, making him appear like a cry baby that now has "nowhere to go, and so he blames the Obama administration for denying him the right to seek asylum".

Of course, not a word being said about the government afraid of the informed public statement.

I just HATE the manipulation done by the MSM, the comments are full of people that clearly feed from the MSM and their minds are their to be controlled and filled with whatever they want to.

It makes me so mad to see the manipulation while I cannot do a thing about it.

edit on 2-7-2013 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

You are quite right. There is a move in many circles to paint him as someone who has made a mistake and is cowering in a corner.

Everything i've seen and heard suggests quite the contrary - that he had a significant amount of time to consider his actions in advance, was aware of the type of venom the US government would use to belittle and humiliate him on the global stage.

Truth is though: We know the truth. We have evidence now to see through the paper thin lies of certain hypocritical western governments. They know we know and yes, whilst huge scale civil unrest hasn't followed, its potentially another issue to enrage the public.

If outwardly oppressive regimes in the middle east can fall, if the largest empires the world has ever known can fall, so can these governments.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy

Poland says won't grant asylum to Snowden

poland....*shakes head
you did so well with monsanto, and now you disappoint me

That is how they thank the people of the west who went to war on their behalf.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAnarchist

In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless. No, the Obama administration is afraid of you.

Say what you like about Snowden... but he would make a far better president than Obama even on his worse day. Obama doesn't seem to have a bone of integrity in his body. The longer he stays in power the more I grow to despise the man for his behaviour.

I agree. Obama purported to be a man of the people, someone who would work ardently on their behalf.

Did he? Not a chance.

If i was an American i'd want him impeached and jailed.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel
Media is reporting here that Snowden has asked for asylum in Finland. But it can't be granted if he is not inside the borders. And Finland has transfer agreement with USA.

Think this will happen with most countries. Lets hope one has the balls to send a diplomatic mission to fly him out and grant him asylum.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bowaconstricta
I for one am grateful for the actions of Edward Snowden. Providing proof of unauthorised systematic surveilance on innocent citizens of the US and it's allies. Like many here I have known it was going on for close to 20 years and was starting to become apathetic, thinking that the general population would never realise the extent to which their personal freedom was being abused.

So last night I was listening to a National (gov. subsidised) radio station (of which there are 5) here in Holland where a female presenter was rather annoyingly carrying on about the predicament of Mr Snowden and focussing on the romanticised view of old school spying.

Listeners were asked to call in, to tell of their experiences of keeping secrets etc.
I phoned, spoke to the editor expressing my frustration at the way the presenter was blabbing bull# and that the focus should be on the message, not the messenger......(in accordance with Snowden's wishes)

Next thing I know I am on the air explaining how PRISM works, why Obama is trying to appear casual about Snowden's actions and how the general public need to wake up and question their own government's spying activities etc..
I'd say it was 7 minutes of my life well spent even if just a handfull of listeners woke up today and started seriously looking into the facts presented.

Thanks for the inspiration Edward, as I am not done yet! And hell if I can do it, anybody can!

Well done. It seems incumbent upon us to maintain the pressure.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Or from the NSA lackey hired to keep posting statements and convince us he's still alive...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

He's made that statement because of this thread,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
This guy's pretty full of himself, isn't he?

Yah...but he also a man that is being hunted by the most powerful government in the world, is without citizenship and is trapped in no-mans land beside an airport in Russia. You have to come heavy, confident and loud if you are going to survive that scenario.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizenx1

Think this will happen with most countries. Lets hope one has the balls to send a diplomatic mission to fly him out and grant him asylum.

He needs to apply for Asylum within the borders of any country he flees to.

The US Gov. revoked his passport, so he can't legally travel.

The Russians told him he could only stay if he promised to not leak anything else...translation: Give us your "insurance policy/trove of damaging docs/data about NSA" and shut your mouth and you can stay.

The Russkies want what he hasn't given up yet.

This means that they have incentive to keep him where he is until he gives it up....and they do that by watching him night and day and not letting him leave (no passport).

Meanwhile VP Biden has made all the calls, threatened every potential nation not to shelter him.

In order for Snowden to leave, some country is going to have to deliver him a passport/citizenship in Russia.

Or someone is going to have to smuggle him out....but where? What threats has VP Biden doled out to these countries? It's a gamble to show up on a countries foriegn soil to apply for asylum, not knowing what cards the US Gov. are holding over the country you are arriving at.

This is a dangerous game of chess.

Best case scenario is a negotiated situation like Snowden's father has asked for...a return to the USA and a fair, open trial.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Archie

If we lived in a democratic society, I'd agree with you, but in all honesty America simply practices tyranny behind the veil of democracy; the democratic process is a sham. They are too drunk on power to give a rats ass about the citizens' demands.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Part one is generally true although not mandatory - a nation can make that decision if it wants whether her is present or not.

As for the legality of travel, any nation can issue him with travel credentials - it is possible that a nation could fly in on a diplomatic mission, hand him papers and fly him wherever. He doesn't need his US passport although it would have helped!

It is indeed an intricate game of chess but something tells me (misguided optimism perhaps) that Snowden will find his freedom somewhere. I certainly hope so.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I am pretty sure I read at the start of these leaks that Snowden was UK born, moved to US with parents and became naturalized citizen of the US. He reportedly studied at the University of Liverpool, perhaps online but still a UK based University. There isn't anything showing on search engine, does anyone know if this is true.

If the US effectively revoked his citizen status, apart from the legal dilemma and implications of such a move, he should revert to his birth citizenship. If he was UK born the UK government should welcome him or assist in his right to a passport so he can secure asylum elsewhere.
edit on 2-7-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizenx1

Originally posted by Indigo5

Part one is generally true although not mandatory - a nation can make that decision if it wants whether her is present or not.

As for the legality of travel, any nation can issue him with travel credentials - it is possible that a nation could fly in on a diplomatic mission, hand him papers and fly him wherever. He doesn't need his US passport although it would have helped!

It is indeed an intricate game of chess but something tells me (misguided optimism perhaps) that Snowden will find his freedom somewhere. I certainly hope so.

The US gov. would go beserk if a country went as far as to fly in a diplomatic mission and hand him papers. It's one thing to have him arrive and apply, it's another to go rescue the guy.

I think his leak of the NSA spying on friendly EU nations etc. timed with his father laying out conditions for his son to return...fair trial, not held and gagged before trial like manning..etc was a strategic move...ONE Snowden lets the US gov know he does in fact have an insurance policy...more docs he can leak and two his dad putting the offer out there to the US Gov. for a return to the USA. Snowden is saving the most damaging leaks for when the crap hits the fan, until then the US Gov. has the option to negotiate him comming home....Chess.
edit on 2-7-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
He also asked asylum in the Netherlands , but our government denied him that ... So our government does agree with the Obama administration and are forced to go along their protocols.. It's like trowing a bone and say catch...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join