It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bigfoot yay or nay ?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ZetaRediculian

True enough. No way for you to judge...sorry 'bout that.

Since I was too stunned to even think about the little camera in my glove compartment...

Maybe I'll see him again, and this time remember the camera. There's always one in my car now...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HomeBrew

I like your take on this, it seems very open minded and honest. It's a very old phenomena and spans several continents. No doubt there is something going on.

The chances of breeding populations of large unknown hominids being the cause of it all is remote enough to be (IMO) discounted. The evidence put forward (even by certain scientists) is so extremely poor that even when it isn't hoaxed, it looks like an exercise in wishful thinking. I doubt any of it withstands scrutiny. It all simply appears to be a sociological/ psychological phenomena.

I still think there is more to it than that though and doubt the social sciences (or anything else) can really explain it away. In some (certainly not all) instances I think people do encounter such things. Though I have no idea why.

I did actually have an encounter myself one time with the strangest looking creature I have ever seen. Being a sceptical type and possibly not really believing what I was seeing, I didn't just bolt either. A strange little game of hide and seek followed. In the end I would have to allow that it was the one of the quietest most evasive creatures on the planet, intelligent enough to know my every move before I did to the point it seemed like reading my mind, or look for other explanation. Nothing about it made sense. Given the lack of any other indication they physically exist, which also makes no sense, I choose "other explanation" at this stage.Without knowing what that might be.

I remember one stage finding it had simply moved behind me while I was looking for it, completely puzzled by what was going on. It was almost laying on the ground behind a bush, with a branch pulled back, must have quietly been watching me stumble around trying to work out where it went. I stood there stunned for a short while staring into it's eyes, the look of surprise on it's face. Like it was surprised at being seen.

So while I doubt they are a race of unknown hominids, I sympathise with people who do have such encounters and wish to be taken seriously. I don't fool myself at how my own story sounds and never take offence when people don't believe it. I can also understand why the local traditional people regard them as supernatural. Though I don't really believe that either. Nothing about these creatures anywhere in the world stacks up like it should if they physically exist. Yet I have seen one. I have found no explanation.

edit on 6-8-2013 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

No
/

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wasn't it only march this year that the enormus squid known as "kraken" was actually filmed in its natural envoirnment. which like bigfoot there was no proof of its existence, apart from reports and stories of it attacking ships etc.. so why not similar with bigfoot, there are several reports of sightings, and some footage which is not really believed, but anyway, I am sure there are lots and lots and lots of species big and small we haven't discovered yet.. so I'm gonna say Yay until it's prooved otherwise..

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

If you're curious, the story of Ape Canyon will interest you...

About the turn of the century, around 1920'ish, a group of prospectors had a close encounter of the unfriendly kind with what was reputed to be a group of Sasquatch.

Ape Canyon story...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cogito, Ergo Sum

Holy crap Cog you just entered the most fascinating account I've ever heard.
Only because I know for a fact how beyond skeptical you are.
I giggled thru the most astonished look on my face, just as I came to the end of your entry.
I'm absolutely amazed by the things you said because of who is saying it.
I'm gonna read it again.

Yay or Nay Cog what's it gonna be partner ?
I just had to put the screws to ya ! But you must have known this was coming.

No count for Flip Flop or Cogito Urgo Sum I have both catagories gaining even ground.

45 YAY

30 NAY
edit on 6-8-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's not as simple as yay or nay Randy. For some time I was of the opinion these type of creatures were real, we just hadn't found them yet, for obvious reasons. I'm only telling what happened and although this will seem odd, in the end there are boring "sciency" reasons why I have to put my own story on the same level as others. I found nothing which might physically verify it. I looked hard, but found only further strangeness and ambiguity.

I have considered a lot of possibilities, hallucination, prank, even considered the area might have something (plants, geology-escaping gasses etc) that could cause it. The only thing that makes sense, is that it was really there. Yet nothing has ever really supported the physical existence of these creatures anywhere in the world, apart from stories of encounters (which are worth taking seriously for what they are) and while logically it would be fair to assume they exist if you have seen one, it looks unlikely they are a biological/ zoological reality in any normal sense.

For those who are sure there is plenty to indicate they physically exist, I can only suggest consulting genuine and unbiased scientists (those who are not also 'footer enthusiasts). What enthusiasts see as proof of bigfoot, is so full of outrageous claims and bias that at times exactly what science generally sees as indicating that this is cultural mythology in action.

I'm saying yay for obvious reasons, without knowing in which way they exist.

edit on 8-8-2013 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I think your account is awesome because it fits perfectly with everything I believe about this mystery.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

I think your account is awesome because it fits perfectly with everything I believe about this mystery.

Okay then, let's have it Randy. I promise I am genuinely curious and will be on my best possible behaviour. You can even mention the "G" word and I won't get into a lather, promise.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Infest

Speaking of regional cryptid, in my country we have something called "orang pendek" (literally means "short person"). As you can tell by the name, it's not exactly big, but perhaps it's somewhat related given that it's also a primate cryptid?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Okay then, let's have it Randy. I promise I am genuinely curious and will be on my best possible behaviour. You can even mention the "G" word and I won't get into a lather, promise.

In my best Bill Murray,

Ahhhhhhhhh ! Haaaaaaaaaaa ! Who's the first to cross that line now, compadre ?
Look who comes bang'n on my door for a change, amigo ?

Of course I jest.
But if you think for a minute Cog, I'm sure you'll affirm I'm not one to hold anything back.
If there was anything more than what you said, I would go there. That's the surprize to
me as I said. To read thus such a discription of the paranormal/spiritual possibilities
connected to this phenomena by a person of your calibur ? I'm not toying with you at
all Cog. And that's on my skin. I would never do that. well at least not begrudgingly.
But possibly in a heated discourse somewhere. I have many times imagined this
creature as a highly intelligent spiritual being. I take the NAIs at their word as I
believe it can be trusted.

Are we clear ?
edit on 13-8-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Id like to add yay because of my own encounter.
I live in the southwest tip of arkansas home of the southern sasquatch, or known as the Faulk monster.
It was before dawn in winter dad was going deer hunting and while driving toward the farm the trucks headlights catch the reflection of two eyes about eight feet off the ground. I had a few good seconds to take it all in then it turned and either ran or walked off. It wasnt a deer or owl no trees for the owl to have a perch on and the deer werent in that area. And I dont think there is a deer that is eight feet tall and do a 180 and not disturb the small trees around it. And from what I gathered this fits most of what I gathered around. Plus when the coyotes start their baying at night there is this almost same pitch whoop that silences them for the rest of the night.
This is not B.S

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Published on Aug 15, 2013

Fred Kanney, seasoned researcher from Virginia, is out doing some research, and spots something with his trained eye! What he sees is a Sasquatch behind some leafy trees, trying to hide and not be noticed by Fred!
He ultimately gets some fantastic footage of this Sasquatch.
You can follow Fred's research at www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by John316P
reply to post by randyvs

Id like to add yay because of my own encounter.
I live in the southwest tip of arkansas home of the southern sasquatch, or known as the Faulk monster.
It was before dawn in winter dad was going deer hunting and while driving toward the farm the trucks headlights catch the reflection of two eyes about eight feet off the ground. I had a few good seconds to take it all in then it turned and either ran or walked off. It wasnt a deer or owl no trees for the owl to have a perch on and the deer werent in that area. And I dont think there is a deer that is eight feet tall and do a 180 and not disturb the small trees around it. And from what I gathered this fits most of what I gathered around. Plus when the coyotes start their baying at night there is this almost same pitch whoop that silences them for the rest of the night.
This is not B.S

I see no reason to call it BS. And I'm pretty good at detecting it as many members here will tell you.

edit on 15-8-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Thanks for putting up the new vid Ruff. Here's a Monsterquest I haven't seen. But I'm
convinced. There is an extremely illusive, highly intelligent somekind of creature
lurking about out there. Don't think I want to run in to ass tho.
Chicken Randy !

Pretty interesting.

edit on 15-8-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Something just isn't quite right with this whole Bigfoot/Yeti/Sasquatch thing.

There are a number of possible explanations for it

1) It's all just imagination:
Thinking about how the human mind works and how old beliefs and legends can manifest themselves even among large groups of people and even entire societies, it differs a bit from the classic legends and myths. It's not quite the same. (Same with ghosts but thats another discussion).

2) They are aliens:
Ever since I was a kid I regarded this theory as unlikely. Im pretty sure there are some highly intelligent Chewbacca (no fun intended) type aliens out there somewhere in this vast multi-universe but I highly doubt they are running around on foot in our woods, snarling and howling at people. I don't buy theories of underground alien bases populated with Bigfoot's that come out at night for a casual stroll in the woods.

3) Nature creatures (Fae) like gnomes, trolls or fairies:
People still believe in this and it's very interesting. Many people in many countries still see gnomes and other mythical creatures. The general belief is that they live in a parallell world and can visit our "dimension" at will. Without technology or machines. Another type of beings that live in a completely other realm. Lets for a moment pretend that any type of Fae creatures really do exist, they kind of slip through to our world and disappear like ghosts, only to be mentioned in stories and legends. But no one has ever been filmed, audio taped or chased by hunters. If those type of creatures exist, they do not make footprints so to speak. They never have before.

In my mind there are only 2 possible explanations, one that if its untrue will lead to it's opposite.

Either we have a not yet discovered remnant of our past. A lost link from way way back that is living very remote and have enough intelligence to keep hidden.

Or it's just a legend. Exciting and entertaining enough to live on in peoples minds, giving life to it self.
edit on 8/19/2013 by Chazam because: spelling

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chazam
Something just isn't quite right with this whole Bigfoot/Yeti/Sasquatch thing.

There are a number of possible explanations for it

Yes, something isn't quite right. The fact that there appears to be no biological cause to account for (claimed) sightings for one thing. I think science in general would consider your first explanation, understandably, as the most plausible one for that reason. There probably is an element of imagination and folklore in it, as well as hoaxes. Though I still feel there is more to it than can be explained this way (or any other way at this stage).....

In most other areas of science there is a limit to what we can explain, where things appear beyond our understanding. In one of the least understood branches of science (the cognitive sciences), it's no great surprise that there also might be. This is how I see it. In some ways I agree with "paranormal" explanations (to the extent it is beyond our current understanding), with the difference being IMO that it is worth scientific study so that it might be better understood one day. What the outcome of that might be, no idea.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
what i base my opinion on big foot existing is the native american lore which the native american people knew every animal that they encountered they had to for their existence,Bigfoot has been mentioned in the native american stories of seeing this creature not unless they had apes are gorillas roaming the country with them.They talk of the Big Foot describing them as being bipedal, hairy,and manlike like we do today. So yes i believe they exist

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

That occurs without any shade of doubt...

Hoaxes. Overly active imagination...which, I suppose, could include my own. I don't think so...but, it's possible.

But there are those other sightings...that defy, at least so far, any explanation other than there's something big, and hairy knockin' around the woods all over the world...

In my own case, I have anecdotal evidence to support...but nothing concrete. More's the pity...

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

But there are those other sightings...that defy, at least so far, any explanation other than there's something big, and hairy knockin' around the woods all over the world...

The problem is that nothing else (apart from encounters) supports the existence of such things. It's still plausible in some instances such as orang pendek (even if very unlikely). In countries like Australia and the US, the chances are around 0%. The field of bigfoot research looks like a mixture of hoaxes and wishful thinking, a real pseudo science where believers claim all sorts of proof that in reality doesn't bare the slightest scrutiny. In itself is usually the thing that strongly supports it as being folklore and in many ways is as fascinating as bigfoot itself.

In my own case, I have anecdotal evidence to support...but nothing concrete. More's the pity...

I believe you.

I will see if I can post some links on the region that I'm talking about. It's part of a very rugged world heritage wilderness area (around 10,000 sq. kilometers). In recent times a couple of tourists claim to have seen a large "ape like"creature. A lone bush walker claims he was followed by something throwing stones on the track....eventually spent the night being terrorized by two large ??? making mock charges at him etc. I know one person who was stopped in the area by a family of overseas tourists, to ask him if there was a zoo in the vicinity that something might have escaped from, as their kids had just seen what appeared to be a "gorilla". A group of people camped in the area to observe aerial phenomena having to pack up in the middle of the night and walk for hours to be picked up, after being harassed by something large and smelly throwing large pieces of sandstone in their camp. A young fellow having strange creatures walk out of the bush around his car, only to take off when he used his air horns.....etc etc etc. There are a lot of accounts that go back to the 1800's.

Fascinating stuff, yet not one thing over the centuries to genuinely indicate such things really/biologically exist. The indigenous inhabitants were known to have settled the area for at least 22k years, that's 200 centuries before Christ supposedly lived in Palestine. I thought they might have some ideas, they do have stories of two different types of "hairy man" (a smaller one also). They see them as a paranormal being who they associate with a certain species of tree and who they like to avoid. It says a lot that a people who lived in harmony with their environment for such an amount of time, don't see them as normal biological creatures....That is the common thread, nothing has ever genuinely indicated such species physically/biologically exist anywhere.....

edit on 23-8-2013 by Cogito, Ergo Sum because: for the heck of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join