It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for someone to come take my 200 some odd firearms, quite a few of which are full auto.
Matter of fact I just went and had my licensing for the full autos renewed and no one gave me any grief. I'll let you know when they're coming for your guns, I'll be one of the first to get a visit.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I'm not quite sure why you directed the 'partisan' related comments my way? The link I included showed it came well before Obama even thought to run for President....and I never did say his name in my own note? I'm confused.

Since you mention it though, you're right. This deals with messages from the Office of the President. Obama happens to be the man sitting in it right now. It's not special to him and is an extension of a program made for TV and Radio before I was born.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Indigo5

I'm not quite sure why you directed the 'partisan' related comments my way?

Apologies...didn't mean to respond to you, but the OP in general. My bad.

Honestly, I responded after reading your post and guaging that rational minds might be present on the thread. Your post was the "marker" at which I responded, but my post was not directed at you.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Thanks for the quick clarification! You had me worried and I had actually gone back to reread my note..lol I haven't always been as non-partisan as I'm forcing myself to become, given current realities. I thought I might have had a relapse. Can't have that happening.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have already had a battle with the alerts and I have a US Cellular galaxy.

I work in a hospital. We are allowed to keep our phones with us as long as they are on silent. Twice while my phone was on mute it started sounding a crazy loud alarm
They were weather alerts that were pushed through even though I had silenced all of the alerts and alarms on my phone. I was able to turn them to silent but had to dig around to find it. The alarm sounds like a tornado warning system and just about as loud. As long as they keep the option for me to turn them alerts off I have no problem with them. But its my phone so I feel I should be able to have the option. Otherwise, I lose the option of keeping my cell phone with me.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by EViLKoNCEPTz
reply to post by Rocker2013

Explain to me how a system that sends texts to all numbers by the zip code they were issued to can spy on you, please. It doesn't even know where you are when it sends the text. Say you live in Los Angeles but have traveled to Boise for work, you're only going to get the alerts for LA and none for Boise. It knows where you are about as well as your girlfriend does after she texts you. There's no app on the phone nothing for it to be able to track you. All it does it aggregate numbers from the carrier based on location they were issued and send an alert in the event of an emergency. The 3rd party app alternatives are far more invasive than this. Not to mention for them to work they have to be actively running on your device, and who knows what that company is doing with the information they are receiving from you broadcasting to them to provide their service.
edit on 6/16/2013 by EViLKoNCEPTz because: (no reason given)

they don't need a firmware update to send you a text...did you even read the OP?

sprint sends me annoying messages about special offers all the time, they've been doing it since i signed up....didn't require a firmware update...

what DID require a firmware update was when they decided to remove the CarrierIQ spyware from my phone....

this is not simply text messages...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's not illegal to root your device. It's only illegal to carrier unlock it for use on another network, unless you get the carrier's permission first. Rooting is still 100% legal.

ETA: I should mention it doesn't even void your warranty unless they can prove your modification damaged the device. Hardware defects are still covered under warranty after rooting a device, well with the exception of Apple but they don't want you to even personalize your own devices.

actually, you're wrong on that...

if i were to root my phone, it would void my warranty, AND my equipment protection plan....

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

You thought it was only Verizon, didn't you?
Seems AT&T will load all new iPHones with a messaging system called "Government Alerts".

You’ll receive a notification from the carrier when your update is ready, but only if you’re using iOS 6.1 or higher. Once installed, AMBER and Emergency alerts are automatically sent to your phone unless you switch them off via Settings. However, should you be tired of Obama, just know that there’s no way to switch off Presidential alerts.

I have said in the past that I did not think they would barcode us, but would make our phones our ID. You will need to carry it everywhere you go and we are already conditioned for that. It will not be where are your papers but where is your phone. They can scan it and detain/let yo on your way and at the same time use technology to review the contents. This is one more step in the wrong direction.

Link

Will this give them some legal reason buried deep in your next contract. I find this funny to be released so soon after the recent events even if it was planned without the publics knowledge.
edit on 16-6-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Jun 17 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: used correct link www.engadget.com... Please do not link to other discussion boards.

i seem to remember alex jones trying to warn people that this was coming (to all carriers) at least a year ago....

this is old news, but still kinda creepy to see it actually happening....

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
for the tech geeks out there, i have a question.....could a copper wire threaded phone pouch, that you put the phone into it when not in use, block the signal???

Yes, it's called a Faraday cage...i'm pretty sure there are companies out there that makes pouches like that.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

reply to post by jimmyx

Yes. Aluminum foil can block the signals. That's why aluminum unibody device's have issues in low signal areas.

i wonder if you could somehow put a copper dust into paint and spray it on your house, so "others" couldn't see or hear what your doing inside your own home...

or you could...i dunno...build a Faraday cage?

it's not hard...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

No, it wouldn't. I deal with rooted device's and warranty issues all the time. Maybe you should do a little research.
edit on 6/18/2013 by EViLKoNCEPTz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Possible ObamaCom messages:

"Down is up"
"Spending is investment"
(Under age 40) "Take the blue pill"
(Above age 40) "Take the black pill"
"Workers of the world unite"
"1+1=11"
"You have miles to go before you sleep"

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Tracfones. Remember they were called Obamaphones. A huge push to get them to those who could not afford a phone. Why do people who do not need jobs need phone. Could we finally be finding out why? Got a phone, get your EBT. No phone...no EBT.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

I do not get what kind of messages these are - SMS?

Here for example the government has all the numbers although not the people behind the numbers. It is uncommon to receive messages during Christmas or New Years Eve, a'la

Happy New Year! (Merry Christmas!)
Sincerely,
The Government of... (The President ...)

Something like that?

I can not switch these off, although I can just not read the messages and delete them. How is it like with these apps?

edit on 18-6-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

The problem is that this is preloaded and can't be turned off. Those that want to get such alerts should simply be able to download an app rather than have it forced on them. if there is any truth to this expect Apple stock to take another 25-30% dive.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Wouldn't we just call these "emergency alerts" instead of "Obama messages" as if this were propaganda. Seriously what is the big deal here? I get tornado alerts and "child kidnapped" alerts -- and I can't switch them off, but they are of some use as long as the system isn't abused.

I'm sure a few million complaints will shut it down -- but first wait and see if these aren't useful emergency alerts -- things like "Ohio due for mile wide class 5 tornado in your area within 2 hours" -- well,, that seems like something everyone should know.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Faraday cage? That would block EM transmissions or receptions, however spying via infrared video and laser microphones on your windows will just be another way for them to spy on you. It's almost impossible to cover every base. Just know how to cover the ONE base you need to cover, your rights. Let them spy all over everyone, it's ok, but once they use that information against you in any way, you must know how to properly defend yourself in court, or rather, put a stop to whatever conviction they wish to slap on you.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's not illegal to root your device. It's only illegal to carrier unlock it for use on another network, unless you get the carrier's permission first. Rooting is still 100% legal.

ETA: I should mention it doesn't even void your warranty unless they can prove your modification damaged the device. Hardware defects are still covered under warranty after rooting a device, well with the exception of Apple but they don't want you to even personalize your own devices.

actually, you're wrong on that...

if i were to root my phone, it would void my warranty, AND my equipment protection plan....

You can "unroot" your phone and still have your warranty coverage. Rooting is just like installing software, the can see that software and will void your warranty. Logic says, reinstall the original firmware and it will wipe out the jailbreak (evidence of a jailbreak). Also, how can one equate, or rather, put your warranty above privacy. Wouldn't your privacy be a priority above security. I'm not sure on this one, however, look into square trade warranties, I don't think they care if your phone is rooted.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
As I have recalled myself, during emergencies, such as tornadoes and hurricanes, the first thing the government does is take over cell phone signals and cut off the public. The only messages going out after that point is from ham radio operators, who have always been there. Granted, they are public messages but I'd rather hear Grandma is ok thru my ham radio buddy than wait for the government to tell me anything. To me this just seems like another tactic to mess with people's heads. What's going on now that they don't want you to actually pay attention to?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join