It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

You thought it was only Verizon, didn't you?
Seems AT&T will load all new iPHones with a messaging system called "Government Alerts".

You’ll receive a notification from the carrier when your update is ready, but only if you’re using iOS 6.1 or higher. Once installed, AMBER and Emergency alerts are automatically sent to your phone unless you switch them off via Settings. However, should you be tired of Obama, just know that there’s no way to switch off Presidential alerts.

I have said in the past that I did not think they would barcode us, but would make our phones our ID. You will need to carry it everywhere you go and we are already conditioned for that. It will not be where are your papers but where is your phone. They can scan it and detain/let yo on your way and at the same time use technology to review the contents. This is one more step in the wrong direction.

Link

Will this give them some legal reason buried deep in your next contract. I find this funny to be released so soon after the recent events even if it was planned without the publics knowledge.
edit on 16-6-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Jun 17 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: used correct link www.engadget.com... Please do not link to other discussion boards.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

Just one more reason to affirm my decision to stay away from iPhones.

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Indeed... The whole thing is called CMAS for Commercial Mobile Telephone Alert (don't ask..I have NO idea how they come up with acronyms) and comes to us from the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau of the F.C.C..

Really.. I didn't make up any of that. As outrageous as it sounds, it's 100% real and you can read all about it on their own official fcc.gov site.

COMMERCIAL MOBILE TELEPHONE ALERTS (CMAS)

They say it's strictly optional but then, so was the NSA intrusion into telecom companies in the beginning. Someone on here ran the story of the one CEO that said no and the prison term he's serving on a chump charge which followed. I think it's the proverbial "I got an offer you can't refuse here......just try it".

** For people who don't regularly click links, this one is worth checking. Lower on that page is an excel spreadsheet to download. It has 4 tabs. Tab 2 indicates the companies which have taken "In-Part Election". There are 15 of them and cover most of the major names, including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon.

Tab 3 Indicates the companies who have signed on 100% for everything it includes and has 61 names. I recognize many of those, only by advertisements I saw around the nation when I was still on the truck.

It's not just a couple companies....It's the majority of them which anyone likely has to choose from in their local market, sadly.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

edit on 16-6-2013 by terriblyvexed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
All it does is send you a text message if there is an emergency in your area. It sends everything from weather alerts, amber alerts, to other states of emergency alerts. It's really not a big deal. I was glad I got the text at 3:45am a couple weeks back when a tornado was spotted less than 2 miles from my house. Had I not gotten that text and woken up I wouldn't have known there was any danger til it was possibly too late. And yes you can opt out of the alerts, you just have to text a code to the 5 digit SMS number and they stop.

Not sure why anyone would complain about the option to be warned of potential danger before it's too late.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
As I read through the article, I realized that it isn't JUST AT&T doing this...Sprint and Verizon already have this in place, and not just with the iPhone. It's in ALL their phones- Android, Windows and iPhone set ups.

I have to say this is the worst news yet. I have to get a copy of 1984 for my hubby to read...he never read it in school, whereas I read it in 6th grade English.

Thank you OP for such a great informational article......bad/sad news for those of us in the USA.....sad indeed.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Each day I must pinch myself and remind myself that this isn't all some kind of nightmare. With each new thing I read, I'm becoming more and more convinced that parts of the government are aware of something really bad that is about to happen and these draconian measures are just in anticipation of it.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I have kids and I would want to be warned,etc. However, there is an app for that. All of this. LIfe360 to know where 'my' family is. The Weather Channel for weather Alerts. AP News to push notify of events. Even if the government could come in or jack it, it still felt like you had the option. To not feel controlled.

This is the final step in the government being able to simply say, if you have a phone it belongs to us. All of the info belongs to us. Anytime we want to we can scan it and send you a text. Your phone number is linked to your Facebook so when you are friends with someone they want to know more about they just listen to all of them.

I did not care when this was the prevent terror attacks. Did not care if it was to stop drug cartels. This however has honestly gone to far now. There is NO privacy. None, and with the new laws passed recently they can detain you for no reason and indefinitely. The NDAA is nothing more than a way for the government to continue to rewrite the rules and subvert the constitution.

This is written in the OS of the phone. It is not something you can simply opt out from.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by killuminati2012

This system was directly in response to the outcry after hurricane Katrina when everyone said the govt didn't do enough to warn people. Ask and ye shall receive, then cry about it.

The system has no idea where you are all it does is send an alert to all numbers issued in the affected area. You can be clear across the country and still get alerts for your home area, yet none for the current area you're in. This is a downfall of them specifically designing the system not to track your real time location due to privacy concerns.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

just jailbreak it
there will be an app for that soon no doubt

like the one that wipes the consolidated.db file which keeps a log of your location going back up to a year every 15 minutes

Untrackerd lets iPhone users wipe historical location data from their devices, but only on phones that have been jailbroken to run unapproved apps.

news.cnet.com...

i don't need "dear leader's" propaganda *COUGHING* "alerts" consuming my bandwidth [and at my expense]

why do you think att will void your warranty if you jailbreak? note also that a year after steve jobs passing
Apple "signed up" for PRISM [and now The Magus, is on yet another list, meh...] as seen here twitter.com...
and have become obstreperous about jailbreaking to the point of releasing/forcing "updates" within days of a new one
[there are apps for that too moreinfo.thebigboss.org...]

perhaps some bright spark will come out with an app that'll allow you to spy back

EDIT there are also apps for spoofing your mac 'addy and UDID
just so you know...
edit on 16-6-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by EViLKoNCEPTz
Not sure why anyone would complain about the option to be warned of potential danger before it's too late.

Given the massive level of distrust the government has caused, I can completely understand why people would be suspicious of this. If there were no scandals about spying on everyone, maybe my opinions would be different.

Besides, you're not dead yet, right? Billions of people manage to live happy lives with all those nasty threats around them every day. The chances of you being caught up in something that this system could have warned you about are so miniscule you're probably more likely to become a millionaire next month.

It's about mathematical probability and the effectiveness of keeping your people fearful and compliant, something you should probably look into.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

Oh, Comrade Magus, it isn't just something to void the warranty anymore. Breaking phones off the carrier is a violation of law these days.

Surprise: It’s now illegal to ‘jailbreak’ smartphones, switch carriers

Our national state of perpetual crisis, 7 days a week and nonstop, make things like that easy to miss. Sure enough though, when most were busy with more important concerns? They defined a new class of criminal. Yeah...and people laughed at a thread recently which states we all break the law, every single day. Err... It's only a question of how many we break, not whether we do, eh?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It Orwell all over again !!

That 1984 book is looking more and more like a blueprint.

and don't forget the 'DoubleThink'.......

Orwell explains that the Party could not protect its iron power without degrading its people with constant propaganda. Yet knowledge of this brutal deception, even within the Inner Party itself, could lead to the implosion of the State. Although Nineteen Eighty-Four is most famous for the Party's pervasive surveillance of everyday life, this control means that the population of Oceania – all of it and including the ruling elite – could be controlled and manipulated merely through the alteration of everyday thought and language. Newspeak is the method for controlling thought through language; doublethink is the method of directly controlling thought.

Earlier in the book, doublethink is explained as being able to control your memories, to be able to manually forget something, then to forget about forgetting. This is demonstrated by O'Brien, during the time when Winston Smith is being tortured toward the end of the book.

Newspeak incorporates doublethink, as it contains many words that create assumed associations between contradictory meanings, especially true of fundamentally important words such as good and evil, right and wrong, truth and falsehood, and justice and injustice.

Orwell Doublethink

Parents today need to give their kids lessons on that old book.

I bet the White House "Forward Committee" already has plans to ban it

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Explain to me how a system that sends texts to all numbers by the zip code they were issued to can spy on you, please. It doesn't even know where you are when it sends the text. Say you live in Los Angeles but have traveled to Boise for work, you're only going to get the alerts for LA and none for Boise. It knows where you are about as well as your girlfriend does after she texts you. There's no app on the phone nothing for it to be able to track you. All it does it aggregate numbers from the carrier based on location they were issued and send an alert in the event of an emergency. The 3rd party app alternatives are far more invasive than this. Not to mention for them to work they have to be actively running on your device, and who knows what that company is doing with the information they are receiving from you broadcasting to them to provide their service.
edit on 6/16/2013 by EViLKoNCEPTz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's not illegal to root your device. It's only illegal to carrier unlock it for use on another network, unless you get the carrier's permission first. Rooting is still 100% legal.

ETA: I should mention it doesn't even void your warranty unless they can prove your modification damaged the device. Hardware defects are still covered under warranty after rooting a device, well with the exception of Apple but they don't want you to even personalize your own devices.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I see a time when our telephone numbers will be also our social security numbers on phones that we will not be able to turn off.

I mean, why would you want to turn off your phones? It's for the children!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

Do you think the GPS device on your phone was put there for you? One other thing you should look into is OBDII on you cars. ONstar can remotely start your car so do you think they cannot stop them all at once or when needed also. Cash for Clunkers was to get cars off the road that could not be tracked or controlled. How many pre 95 cars do you see on the road?

We are so far down the rabbit hole it will truly take a revolution to stop it. This is why there is some much ammo being purchased. Guns. Training. Armor. They are all connected. It is almost here and all that is needed is as nuclear detonation on US soil and the deal is done. Boston was a glimpse. A few kids with pressure cookers shutdown a major US city for days. If there is a nuke detonated anywhere we as a free nation are screwed. There are more executive orders just waiting for things like this.

People will be in such fear they will hold their phone locked up in there homes waiting for the next morsel to be sent. The people of the US are conditioned. No need for TV then either because you can use your phone. No need for internet you can use your phone. Everything can be taken away but you have your phone for the good of the nation. TV will be blamed as propaganda and there will be one channel. The internet has already been attacked as a place where terror is seeded. Barry said that himself. Does not matter who is in office, they are just the one to blame but if they make the wrong connections and make the wrong deals then we, as citizens suffer.

It can all go away in a blink. Your phone is your new ID.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
for all of you I-heads out there....patent to listen in, use the camera, or disable the whole phone remotely....watch the vid, the kid shows the patents language
www.iclarified.com...
(go to the top and click article)
edit on 16-6-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

Don't own a vehicle with OnStar or any navigation, and I have full control over the GPS in my phone I can cut the power to the hardware. I have complete and total control over my device considering I built the software on it from Open source sources choosing what I wanted installed on my device and how it would be implemented. One of the benefits of rooting your device and learning how to write your software for it. Without power to my GPS chip it's useless to anyone besides me.

Not to mention I can monitor everything on my device and see when and why it was accessed.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

That patent was denied with prejudice, meaning it can't be resubmitted for approval later. No need to worry about something that was invalidated by the USPTO.

ETA: wouldn't matter to me anyways cuz I don't now nor will I ever own any Apple products. I use all open source software on my computers and mobile device's. And I write 90% of my own software or I am friends with the developers who write it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join