It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
for the tech geeks out there, i have a question.....could a copper wire threaded phone pouch, that you put the phone into it when not in use, block the signal???

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Yes. Aluminum foil can block the signals. That's why aluminum unibody device's have issues in low signal areas.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by TheMagus

Oh, Comrade Magus, it isn't just something to void the warranty anymore. Breaking phones off the carrier is a violation of law these days.

Surprise: It’s now illegal to ‘jailbreak’ smartphones, switch carriers

Our national state of perpetual crisis, 7 days a week and nonstop, make things like that easy to miss. Sure enough though, when most were busy with more important concerns? They defined a new class of criminal. Yeah...and people laughed at a thread recently which states we all break the law, every single day. Err... It's only a question of how many we break, not whether we do, eh?

your concern is noted br'er Wrabbit

however you are confusing jailbreaking [which the SCOTUS ruled in favor of when Apple tried to make it illegal]
with [carrier] unlocking. your article is disinforming by conflating the two: note the quotes around ‘jailbreak’ [covering their a**es in case they're called on it ]

While the DMCA prohibits consumers from illegally accessing copyrighted content and breaking digital rights management (DRM) technologies, prior to Saturday the Library of Congress granted exemptions to consumers who wanted to switch phone carriers and keep their handsets. Rules about unlocking phones also varied from carrier to carrier.

Saturday, however, was the end of a 90-day grace period for a ruling that says smartphone software does not fall under fair-use rules.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

i should know as i've been jailbreaking them since the 3g came out
jailbroke an iPad 3 yesterday too
this prohibition is from january, a sore point with me, as i had intended to supplement my income thusly

indeed we are all already "criminals" from the "legal" viewpoint
anybody can be locked up or sent to the funny farm by the state at it's whim
something the " if you're not doing anything wrong herp a derp crowd fails to understand"

like many mention in the comments since when does the library of congress make laws?
hopefully this will be the downfall of this regulation passing as law
but won't hold my breath

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by EViLKoNCEPTz
reply to post by jimmyx

That patent was denied with prejudice, meaning it can't be resubmitted for approval later. No need to worry about something that was invalidated by the USPTO.

ETA: wouldn't matter to me anyways cuz I don't now nor will I ever own any Apple products. I use all open source software on my computers and mobile device's. And I write 90% of my own software or I am friends with the developers who write it.
edit on 6/16/2013 by EViLKoNCEPTz because: (no reason given)

went to USPTO....and punched in the patent application number shown in the vid...and the "search" didn't find it. do you have some source to show that it was not deemed "national security" somehow and deliberately left off the public website...sorry, just asking for info

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
for the tech geeks out there, i have a question.....could a copper wire threaded phone pouch, that you put the phone into it when not in use, block the signal???

forensic pouch
www.saelig.com...
www.ramayes.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Yes. Aluminum foil can block the signals. That's why aluminum unibody device's have issues in low signal areas.

i wonder if you could somehow put a copper dust into paint and spray it on your house, so "others" couldn't see or hear what your doing inside your own home...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

forensic pouch
www.saelig.com...
www.ramayes.com...

geez, these look like the old static bags you use to put HD's, MEM chips, boards, into to keep them from getting fried

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I am a transplant to my current location and my cell is actually from 2 states ago. One day while eating lunch several cells went off at once. Everyone who received this message immediately started questioning why are they suddenly getting local Amber alerts on their phone. One I know has Sprint as a carrier and another has a local carrier. They all have local numbers. We came to the conclusion that I didn't the messages because my number isn't local.

I say all this to say that this isn't just one carrier or one type of phone. I suspect that this either replaced or is a component of the national alert system thst flopped in Nov 2011.

ETA they also get weather alerts. The day that they all got messages was the week of the marathon bombing so this has been happening for a couple months now.
edit on 16-6-2013 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You could always use lead paint, of you don't mind the health risks.
It would be cheaper to use aluminum shavings left over after machining aluminum block, copper can actually boost signal which is why using copper speaker wire as an OTA TV antenna works so well. If you really wanted to block all signal inside your house the most effective way would be to install copper wiring with a power source inside the walls and use a frequency modulator to adjust the frequency being transmitted thru the copper wiring until it causes interference with radio signals on your end. Just adjust until your signal goes out and then no signal can enter or escape.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

No more messages.....

Done.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

It is a revamped and improved version of the same National Alert System. The old system was active and would send information based on your current location using cellular triangulation. A bunch of privacy groups made a big stink about it, including the EFF and the system was reworked to only issue alerts based on your "home" area, the zip code the phone number was was initially issued in.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Do a Google search for the patent name and number and include "xda" without the " in the search string. XDA is a developers website that keeps track of all of the latest on patents and goings on in the mobile electronics world. I'm a member there and it's a community of private developers who build software for Android, Windows mobile, BADA, Symbien, iOS, etc.

ETA: the reason it may not be showing on the USPTO site is because Apples patents are currently under investigation, a fair amount of them have been pulled from the public until the investigation is completed, mostly ones that were preemptively invalidated at the start of the investigation for being to broad.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

You could always use lead paint, of you don't mind the health risks.
It would be cheaper to use aluminum shavings left over after machining aluminum block, copper can actually boost signal which is why using copper speaker wire as an OTA TV antenna works so well. If you really wanted to block all signal inside your house the most effective way would be to install copper wiring with a power source inside the walls and use a frequency modulator to adjust the frequency being transmitted thru the copper wiring until it causes interference with radio signals on your end. Just adjust until your signal goes out and then no signal can enter or escape.

thanks EK for the info...i'll pass on the lead, enviro laws here in California are pretty strict...i'm thinking of the big trucks that pull up outside your house and scan for biological signatures inside. scary crap, but i know it's out there.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

forensic pouch
www.saelig.com...
www.ramayes.com...

geez, these look like the old static bags you use to put HD's, MEM chips, boards, into to keep them from getting fried

IIRC they're a bit thicker
they're used by LEO's to keep you from remotely deleting your phone
you could get similar material and sew it into a pocket

imagine if the police could remotely turn off your phone or camera [as in the aforementioned patent] and the look on their faces in court when they discover the phone camera you were filming their malfeasance with, which they thought had been turned off, was still on and recording

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I'm and odd duck. I'm a 2nd amendment loving, gun toting, agnostic computer geek. I hold an FFL Class 3 with NFA tax stamp so I can legally own fully automatic and military grade hardware. I also write or modify most of my own open source software for my personal electronics. I'm paranoid about some things which leads me to research ways to circumvent them. I'm a realist though and don't panic every time something that seems scary pops up without doing my research first.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

Do a Google search for the patent name and number and include "xda" without the " in the search string. XDA is a developers website that keeps track of all of the latest on patents and goings on in the mobile electronics world. I'm a member there and it's a community of private developers who build software for Android, Windows mobile, BADA, Symbien, iOS, etc.

ETA: the reason it may not be showing on the USPTO site is because Apples patents are currently under investigation, a fair amount of them have been pulled from the public until the investigation is completed, mostly ones that were preemptively invalidated at the start of the investigation for being to broad.

again tks, EK...good info...time to get out an old breadboard and build my own, then on to blank boards and a soldering gun...got some old tronics books with homer simpson-like instructions...i could start up an old-fart communications company.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Another thing you could look into is a frequency jammer. They can be bought prebuilt online or you can obtain the parts to build your own from a Radio Shack type store. A hobby store with ham radio equipment would probably be your best bet if you want to go the DIY route. Depending on the power source you could jam signals in a small area or up to a several mile radius depending on the size of your broadcast antenna and power source.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

I'm and odd duck. I'm a 2nd amendment loving, gun toting, agnostic computer geek. I hold an FFL Class 3 with NFA tax stamp so I can legally own fully automatic and military grade hardware. I also write or modify most of my own open source software for my personal electronics. I'm paranoid about some things which leads me to research ways to circumvent them. I'm a realist though and don't panic every time something that seems scary pops up without doing my research first.

yup, it never hurts to have as much info as possible. the analytical sifting is the time killer, but it's the most necessary part, I've caught myself so many times jumping to conclusions, that later, evidence proved was wrong.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

Not sure where you are that your LEOs are that smart or well financed. Where I am they just toss them in a clesr plastic evidence bag then into a brown paper bag and half the time don't even turn the device off first. I'm pretty sure or county is so broke their evidence bags are dollar store ziploc knockoffs.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I like getting my info from as many sources as I can find on all sides of the argument and then making a decision after I sort through all of it. Luckily I read fast. For as far back as I can remember I never trusted anything or anyone without verifying it for myself. If it's something I can try out and experiment with I like to go that route to see just how it actually works in real life and not just on paper.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join