It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I've seen the iOS 7 BETA and it does have the Govermnet Alerts and Amber Alerts switches in the Settings App. I was not aware that Presidential Messages would be a part of that.

FYI iOS 7 is supposed to release this fall alongside a new iPhone.

For the Apple bashers out there, you are no safer on your Droid, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, or any other old flip phone you may still have. Regardless of the OS your device runs, your data can still be intercepted and tracked to you at the very least. But one should consider that TPTB would bury spy-code into just about any device you could own. Even the new XBOX.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Heliophant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

He just wants more face time. He just doesn't like it when i turn the channel on him everytime i see him on tv. I-phones? Jokes on him i have an older Blackberry, buahahahaha.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This forum is so cynical about every single government action that it irritates me. And yet, you people say that the government is important? Oh, okay.
Keep in mind I do understand there are many things the government is doing wrong, and I really see this as beneficial than harmful.
edit on 17-6-2013 by catswithbigpaws because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Emergency alerts like what? Imagine...

Obama-Com says: y r u still driving, it's a code red, go hide underground
Obama-Com says: omg, martial law, srsly, run away home.
Obama-Com says: I just blew up your house with my drone.
Obama-Com says: you just got a warrant out on you for that last text. aloha.

Potuspam. Sounds like a hot dish, potatoes and spam.

It's like having a little president in your pocket. All the time. Obama is watching you.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

None of those I'm a little further south. And no ATT for me I'm a sprint kind of guy. I use too much data on the go to be capped.

And yeah I know not everyone is as prepared as me, but there are a lot of us who are. We've all seen what my kind can do when we put our minds to it. We can be constructive or destructive, depends on the mood and target. I wish more people would educate themselves about digital security. It saddens me to see so many roam the internets unprotected. I try to tell people that without taking the proper precautions post things on the internet is no different than hiring a flying sign to take your message around the world, it's there for everyone to see, with your ugly mug stuck right next to it.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So these are Obama alerts and not Presidential alerts? How long is he planning on staying President for? And, as a side note, only 1 year into his second term and he is already revealing his true colors. Bold.

Also, don't listen to his words, look at his actions.

I went to see Obama speak in person, by the way, when he was running in the primaries. I do love his speeches.

By the way, Dems, it is possible that you've been betrayed - stop trying to justify it or its just going to get you confused...
edit on 17-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Does this explain why the battery is not changeable in the IPHONE's? I'm wondering even if we poweroff the phone, something is still powered/activated for tracking?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

FIrst off...

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

Obama? so this is only for his personal discretion? Just saying, not everything needs to be partisan...more so when that partisanship interferes with logic.

This is a Public Alert Messaging system similair to the alerts on TV>

Since most people have mobile phones...it makes sense to me...

And since it isn't his personal tool and will exist after Pres. Obama's tenure...not sure why the "message from Obama" bit was required for discussion.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Oh, gee - another ridiculous "look what Obama did" thread. Yippee. For all those rational folk out there, know that this has *nothing* to do with Obama. This is all part of the WARN act passed by congress in 2006.

And, full disclosure - no, I don't think Obama is the second coming, the savior, my messiah, or whatever other obnoxious term you'd like to throw back. I just get sick of the constant, incessant need to tie *anything* negative that happens back to Obama.

Can consumers block WEAs?

Partially. Participating wireless carriers may offer subscribers with WEA-capable handsets the ability to block alerts involving imminent threats to safety of life and/or AMBER Alerts; however, consumers cannot block emergency alerts issued by the President.

Why can’t consumers block WEAs issued by the President?

In passing the WARN Act, Congress allowed participating carriers to offer subscribers the capability to block all WEAs except those issued by the President.

www.fcc.gov...

The Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS), also known as Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA), and Personal Localized Alerting Network (PLAN), is an alerting network designed to disseminate emergency alerts to mobile devices such as cell phones and pagers. The Federal Communications Commission proposed and adopted the network structure, operational procedures and technical requirements in 2007 and 2008 in response to the Warning, Alert, and Response Network (WARN) Act passed by Congress in 2006, which allocated $106 million to fund the program.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Take Barry out of it and it is still not something that should not be mandatory on all phones. I guess we know why they wanted everyone to have a state sponsored phone that all came from the same places. Maybe it will be used to let all those on welfare know when the EBT card is refilled. What was I thinking, there is nothing nefarious...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
reply to post by Indigo5

Take Barry out of it and....

Precisely....But I imagine that a headline like "Emergency Alert system moves to mobile networks" didn't quite have the partisan punch as the much less honest..."Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off" that you chose for the headline.

My personal bottom line is that it is hard to take crap seriously once honesty and logic have been molested for partisan purposes. It's the "boy who cried wolf"...it's "white noise"...it's just the same old "Obama...Obama...Obama"..BS to me.

I am sure you can round up folks that hate Obama to chime in, but if not for the immediate spin and BS you employed...folks that don't hate Obama might have shared an opinion as well.

just my 2 cents..

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Maybe it will be used to let all those on welfare know when the EBT card is refilled.

Or maybe it will be used to address a gaping hole in communications during a national disaster???

Where folks television and land-line might be under 10 feet of water...

And Twitter has false messaging, just cuz some folks like to eff with people when their world is crumbling...

Maybe an official Emergency line to cell phones updating folks during disasters isn't such a bad idea??

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
If I remember right, cell phones were all cut off during that hurricane in New Orleans.

Cell towers are not fail safe.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

reply to post by Indigo5

Take Barry out of it and....

Precisely....But I imagine that a headline like "Emergency Alert system moves to mobile networks" didn't quite have the partisan punch as the much less honest..."Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off" that you chose for the headline.

My personal bottom line is that it is hard to take crap seriously once honesty and logic have been molested for partisan purposes. It's the "boy who cried wolf"...it's "white noise"...it's just the same old "Obama...Obama...Obama"..BS to me.

I am sure you can round up folks that hate Obama to chime in, but if not for the immediate spin and BS you employed...folks that don't hate Obama might have shared an opinion as well.

just my 2 cents..

Sorry you feel that way but with what his administration is doing to strip our rights after claiming to be Captain Transparent I think the shoe fits ok.

This allows providers to provide the communications capability to the President to address the American public during a national emergency.

I was not looking for Obama haters...or Bush haters for that matter. I was simply putting the name of the person whose watch is started under. The first was done in 2011 after it was drafted in 2007.

Problem is not Obama it is that the current government is spying on us.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
If I remember right, cell phones were all cut off during that hurricane in New Orleans.

Cell towers are not fail safe.

If I remember it right, in recent years the gov has worked with cell providers to set up network fail-safes, so more people have cell access during national disasters.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I was not looking for Obama haters...or Bush haters for that matter. I was simply putting the name of the person whose watch is started under. The first was done in 2011 after it was drafted in 2007.

Problem is not Obama it is that the current government is spying on us.

And I can't find the technical or logical leap you are trying to make.

The survelience of cell calls is an independant issue both technically and logically from an emergency alert system.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

They use Natural disasters as a ruse...it is so they are always active to track you. Just like they use gun violence to strip you guns but do not give real statistics. Scare tactics.

If you follow the news, it has been outed after many years of speculation that the government is spying on its own citizens. Is that ok with you? This 'leaked' info on PRISM came out a day after the NSA was caught requesting phone records of all of it's callers and that they should continue to do it on a daily basis. For what?

Stopping terror? Nope. The last 4 terror attempts/attacks in the US were thwarted by US citizens not the government including having 1000's on the ground in Boston and a man accidently saw him in his backyard.

It is about control. Information is more valuable than money right now. People cannot be swayed with money so lets scare them with a leak. Control what we want by threats. It is real and it is happening. The Government controls what you hear and see in the media. What happened to Benghazi, Holder and the rest...it is silenced and those who did right by the administration were promoted or sent elsewhere, or protected by being able to resign( HIllary).

I think the tin foil hats can be put away now, they are not needed anymore.

edit on 17-6-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
or you can take it straight from the man himself...You are part of the 2015 Program or the 702 program.

Read the whole article. I only wish I could see video on this one.

Link

We are not spied on but they need all the information. Maybe this old article can help. It is almost 5 years old and it is a looking glass into today...

the NSA estimates it will have enough data by 2015 to fill a million datacenters spread across the equivalent combined area of Delaware and Rhode Island.

Link

They have been collecting it and preparing for years....

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

They use Natural disasters as a ruse...it is so they are always active to track you.

They don't need a "ruse"....so there is this program called "PRISM"...you should google it...it's been in the news a lot lately

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Read the next paragraph in the post you quoted.

The government used a 'ruse' to make sure everyone could be alerted in a Natural disaster for funding and materials when it was actually be used fro PRISM which was not announced then. The newly elected transparent administration could not say they needed it to spy on us, could they?

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join