It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

One of the things I tell me software clients who worry about security is this. Somewhere, there is a 14 y/o with the code to get whatever it is he wants, when he wants and how he wants. You can throw the best firewalls or security you want, but unless you are 'dead connected' as I call it, you are still vulnerable. You have to have NO way for anyone or anything to get in.

I have jailbroken each of my old iphones for my kids to ues from the first one to the last 4G, I have a 5 now myself for work. What you do not realize is if you can write code to turn something off then someone can write something to 'turn it on'. This is correct, right? You would have to remove the components to not allow access or you leave a door.

There is always a way and if you are a computer geek you know that.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

I used to be one of those 14 year old kids, back in the 90's. That's why I actively monitor my devices. If something is on I know when and why it was activated and what caused the activation. Getting into my phone would be too time consuming for anyone to bother, I'm not that interesting and I use proxies through a VPN on my own server to connect to the internet no matter where I am. My mobile device's connect to my server via VPN then to the internet via Proxies from my server. Electronic security is one thing I am paranoid about since I maintain sensitive data for my clients on my devices. Someone would have to be pretty dedicated to crack my encryption and I'm not interesting enough for anyone with the means to waste their time.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EViLKoNCEPTz
reply to post by TheMagus

Not sure where you are that your LEOs are that smart or well financed. Where I am they just toss them in a clesr plastic evidence bag then into a brown paper bag and half the time don't even turn the device off first. I'm pretty sure or county is so broke their evidence bags are dollar store ziploc knockoffs.

oh no, not here where i live.
those links were just quickly googled
i'm referencing some other site/company but couldn't find it or remember the name
and yes, this would be more on a federal level. or important cases in say NYC or cali.

the whole point is that they're for forensic purposes to prevent the device from receiving or transmitting
while trying to recover evidence.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

but if someone wants it,there is always someone smarter right? These are the ones that are recruited by the alphabet agencies. That is all my point was. If you are connected to an outside power source and have not internet/wifi, they can get into your pc. For phones it is a little more difficult but it can be done.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

You might think I'm joking but my county is so broke the county board of commissioners is homeless. They meet at the public library after their building was foreclosed on last fall. And some of our local police have shoe sizes higher than their IQs. I had to go to court a few weeks ago and the sheriff's deputy working the security check couldn't figure out how to work my touchscreen phone.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

I'm paranoid about some things which leads me to research ways to circumvent them. I'm a realist though and don't panic every time something that seems scary pops up without doing my research first.

yes indeed, instead of fearing technology one should embrace it
and use it.

i'm always posting a link to diydrones.com on any ZOMG! drones threads

don't forget that comment Jobs once made:
about hackers using a jailbroken iphone to mess around with cellphone towers

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

They would have to first find the scripts monitoring my hardware and software and remove or disable them so I wouldn't know about it. It could be done but it wouldn't be easy and if they connect to me I'm connected to them, I've got a nice little surprise for the first person who actually succeeds tho.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

So where in Florida are you?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

reply to post by esdad71

They would have to first find the scripts monitoring my hardware and software and remove or disable them so I wouldn't know about it. It could be done but it wouldn't be easy and if they connect to me I'm connected to them, I've got a nice little surprise for the first person who actually succeeds tho.

ROFL
you're in command of a Host of Daemons eh?

i'm not a coder myself but if i were i'd write one and name it iPikachu
it would cause epileptic fits [along with some subliminal time bombs] in unauthorized users

people often fail to understand that smartphones are the pocket computers we used to see in sci fi novels [i.e. Asimov ]
they can be reprogrammed [there are ongoing efforts to install android and linux on them]
just imagine dual booting Backtrack on an iPhone

edit on 16-6-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I got a few things from minor annoyances, to opening a port and dumping their drive contents through an ftp to a few places. To some stuff that will kick their connection for a bit.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

West central area in the country between a bunch of orange groves and gun loving rednecks.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

One of the 3 O's or Polk......
..good luck. If the dead ever rose from the Orange groves there would be double the current population.

Your comments also make sense but to the 99.8% out there who just check Facebook and read cat memes it will be an issue one day when they least expect it.

Be carefule though, AT&T has access to cell towers there too.

edit on 16-6-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Looks like I'll be getting an Android then.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowTheWhiteRabbit

its being applied to android phones as well

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
AT&T to Load iPhones With Emergency Alerts From Obama – That You Can’t Switch Off

Funding for CMAS was approved in 2006, under George Bush, not Obama. CMAS was introduced by George Bush in 2007, not Obama. The alerts themselves come from a variety of sources, of which Obama is one (albeit the least likely).

The Federal Communications Commission proposed and adopted the network structure, operational procedures and technical requirements in 2007 and 2008 in response to the Warning, Alert, and Response Network (WARN) Act passed by Congress in 2006, which allocated $106 million to fund the program.

CMAS will allow federal agencies to accept and aggregate alerts from the President of the United States, the National Weather Service (NWS) and emergency operations centers, and send the alerts to participating wireless providers who will distribute the alerts to their customers with compatible devices via Cell Broadcast, a technology similar to SMS text messages that simultaneously delivers messages to all phones using a cell tower instead of individual recipients.

The government plans to issue three types of alerts through this system: alerts issued by the President, alerts involving imminent threats to safety of life, and AMBER Alerts.

(Source).

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
And why would he be the least likely. Besides, it was introduced to be researched in 07, it did not go live.

The Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS), interface to the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) service, went live in April 2012.[8] The NWS began delivering its Wireless Emergency Alerts on June 28, 2012

I think it is time we stop blaming people other than those in office right now who are spying on everyone from you to me to judges.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
One thing during the last election I could not stand was the constant spam from the Democrats. I hated it, it was endless, I ended up having to spam filter over 100 different email addresses from various campaign people.

This is just one more reason not to get one of those smartphones. I like my normal cell phone. If I want to be on the web, I'll get out my laptop. Bigger screen, and I can type a lot faster.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It's not just limited to iPhone or AT&T. I have a S3 on Sprint and I have these same alerts on my phone that I can't turn off unless I root the phone, yet I'm able to turn off Amber alerts and Severe alerts...

I'm not sure what constitues a Presidential Alert, but I am not looking forward to the day that I receive one. I'm sure that day is coming soon, but I'm enjoying life and not going to worry about things under my control.
edit on 16-6-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Here's my solution to all of this crap.

Want to stop being treated like criminals?

The power is right in your hands.

It's very simple. Very very simple, but people have to be willing to make the sacrifice in order to make things change.

#1. Don't use a cell phone. Cancel the plan, let the minutes run out, or just shut it off and don't use it.

#2. Don't fly. Refuse to fly until TSA STOPS their crap.

if ALL Americans would do these two things for at least two to three months solid, I guarantee you that things would be forced to change. The power is in our hands to bankrupt the cell phone companies and airlines.

Do these two things and it will change.

The power is in your hands.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

imagine if the police could remotely turn off your phone or camera [as in the aforementioned patent] and the look on their faces in court when they discover the phone camera you were filming their malfeasance with, which they thought had been turned off, was still on and recording

I think they would still throw you in jail for recording them.

Regardless if they turned it on or off...........................

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join