It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GI MREs (Meals Ready [to] Eat)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by HomerinNC

They taught us to tape it down on all four sides period.

You guys are medics though, we're not.

I wasnt a 91B, I went to civvie EMT class, and you leave one corner not taped so you can lift it up to relieve pressure, if I remember tight

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

We're equipped with needle decompression kits for that. No need to open the sealed wound and there's no danger of making a lung collapse worse.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Oh ok, when I was in, back in the 90s, not everyone was CLS trained, and my unit wouldnt send me to the course when it came available, so i went to EMT B

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Arnie123

That reminds me..I have to recert for CLS this week.
More MRE training lol.

hell I've been do for a re-cert on CLS, as long as you got it though you get those promotion points, however meager they are, promotion points are points, I'll take whatever!
the new MRE's stop using the lil tabasco sauces
well at least when I went to WLC they had the new MRE's and I noticed no tabasco sauce!!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

These days CLS is required training. Either in basic, AIT, or at your unit.

My unit is where I was taught all those useful MRE tricks. You can also treat shock symptoms with the heaters if you lack blankets.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

We still have tons of MRE boxes left over from NTC. We took a bunch home with us...

They're all new and they still had tobasco sauce. Some have the packet others have the bottles. My favorite is the pork sausage and gravy...Best MRE out there cold or hot.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

I gave you a star for being brave (dumb) enough to try and eat a 20 year old MRE, and the fact that you are in AZ (so am I) accelerates the expiration of the food.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

We still have tons of MRE boxes left over from NTC. We took a bunch home with us...

They're all new and they still had tobasco sauce. Some have the packet others have the bottles. My favorite is the pork sausage and gravy...Best MRE out there cold or hot.

lol, I always field strip that one for the pop tart, you can't for wrong with that.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

After Hurricane Charlie in Florida, they were giving out the older MREs (brown bag) and t-rats to us civvies, I think they were like 15 years old or so...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Things you always need to keep from MREs in the field.

1. The toilet paper.

2. The moist towelettes.

3. Chewing gum.

4. Plastic beverage bag. Not for beverages, but for protecting sensitive items like cigarettes, wallets, tp and matches.

5. Matches.
edit on 15-6-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Yup, I always collect just those items, but even after the field I'll forget about them, only to find them stuffed in my IBA and Assault Pack. The matches and napkins especially!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123

Originally posted by HomerinNC

I was an EMT-B, so they taught us to tape all 4 sides down, minus one corner

Yea before it was just 3 sides, now its 4 huh? that MRE material is pretty handy in those kinds of situations, what was it? thrust the needle at the 2nd intercostal rib at the mid clavicular, ugh I can't remember I need a refresher...

Its the just above the 3rd intercostal. Midclavicular line.

Once through remove the needles and leave the valve in place. Tape down. Problem is the valve will crust over on the inside so you may have to do it again if medevac/casevac hasn't shown up.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I keep all that stuff in my nick nack pouch on my flight vest. Never know when you'll need it.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
don't forget to stock up on brd's

beer's ready to drink

edit on 15-6-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
When you eat em enough, you know what to watch for, and whats good. I, Personally, besides the ribs, stay away from the chunk meat MRE's. I love the spaghetti, ravioli, and the vegetarian italian something. If you got the chili mac(my favorite numero uno.), This is what you do.get a chili mac, warm it, crackers, jalapeno cheese, and tabasco. Warm the cheese, btw. Mix it all together. Add a little water just to thin it out a bit, and its a dang nice MRE field chef style. Oh, and beefstew is good too.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Tape? we just fold the top, and stuff it back on the box.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mactheaxe

lol, wow! I do all that too, 'cept I eat mine cold, for some odd reason the heaters in the MRE's I get don't work, so I just naturally eat them all cold. But yea, the chili mac can be pretty good when you mix an mash it all in there, course going down is good, coming out is a whole different story

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I guess there are generations of these beyond when i had em. I would kinda like to try the new ones.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

They tell you about the exlax on the gum too?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mactheaxe

They tell you about the exlax on the gum too?

yea I figured it was a myth, kinda hard to tell anyways with some MRE's

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join