It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GI MREs (Meals Ready [to] Eat)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The other day there arose a discussion on my thread about MRE’s verse other survival foods and normal foods pressed into use during hard times. As I said then, I prefer GI MREs because they are cheap and easily available for me, compact in one waterproof pack and they can last a long time. Below is a piece-by-piece listing of one that I opened to photograph. (Alas, I'm totally ignorant of ATS's secrets for adding images.)

Beef enchilada in sauce, 320 calories
Picante Sauce, 10 calories
Raspberry white chip cookie, 259 calories
Spoon
Cheese spread with jalapenos, 180 calories
Beverage base, Powder,Lemon lime
Type II fortification D, 130 calories
Vegetable crackers, 180 calories
Hot beverage bag
Refried beans, 190 calories
Personal pack includes:
TP, towelette, sugar, coffee,
creamer, salt, ground red pepper,
chickets, matches
Carbide heater (just add water)

The backs of the packages inside give important info of which I’ll quote in part.
"In the field you NEED three meals per day. One meal, MRE, contains 12 to 1300 calories. Average daily calorie requirement in the field are 2800 to 3600 calories for males and 2000 to 2800 for females. Fortification maximizes the nutrition of the ration by adding or increasing vitamins and minerals within ration components. Those added to various components are vitamins A, C, B1, B2, Niacin, B6, D, and calcium." The total calories of this one was 1269. It weighted 1lb. 12oz. I can get seven of them into a yellow, Tidy Cat litter bucket.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, merely providing info of my personal choice.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
New MRE'S are pretty good. I recently went camping and stuffed some 20 year old ones into my pack. Luckily I also had some jerky because the MRE'S had degenerated into total crap. I got home and threw out two boxes worth. Next time I will eat them quicker.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I LOVE MREs, honestly, there are times I'd pick an MRE over other regular means
Meatloaf ALL THE WAY

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Just be careful with those heaters. They release toxic gases and should not be inhaled. It is a chemical heater. Once the gases have subsided it also makes a good hand warmer.

Hell in my unit I've used them to defrost the directional valves of my aircraft engine/APU fire suppression system.
edit on 15-6-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Just be careful with those heaters. They release toxic gases and should not be inhaled. It is a chemical heater. Once the gases have subsided it also makes a good hand warmer.

He in my unit I've used them to defrost the directional valves of my aircraft engine/APU fire suppression system.

When I played airsoft, we'd use the heaters in coke bottles to make MRE bombs lol

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I love MRE’s (I know that is strange) but the problem I have is that they are too expensive and they don’t have a very long shelf life. I have other canned products with a 20-25 year life while the average MRE is only a few years.

They are perfect for your BOB though.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

They are pretty useful.

I trained to use the MRE pack to patch up sucking chest wounds.

link   
Here in Arizona you do not need to use the heaters. They are always hot and ready to eat. I love the noodle casserole. I used to eat the K rations in Boy Scouts. Those were pretty tasty as well.
And they came with a free P-38!!

link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Same here, i kept a couple in my first aid bag JUST for that purpose, learned that in EMT school

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Very nice thread!!
I have about a box worth of MRE's. I usually eat at least a couple of MRE's a week. Being Active Duty Military, when we go out for training throughout the week, sometimes I bust out a box and look around for a good one. I prefer Spicy pennel pasta...an beef enchilada.
one time I ate 4 in a row, man I was bloated, I laughed so hard that I passed gas at the same time, you realize what that is like?
but the above poster is right, the newer MRE's are way better.
sometimes I field strip an MRE for all the goodies like cookies, poptarts and candies....

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

He in my unit I've used them to defrost the directional valves of my aircraft engine/APU fire suppression system.

When I played airsoft, we'd use the heaters in coke bottles to make MRE bombs lol

We used to make those when we served Barracks Duty.

Place one of those bad boys in front of the door, knock, run a safe distance away and wait for the dude to open the door.

SURPRISE!!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

I think we all did that back in the day, mix and match the stuff we liked

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
This is a good all round website for MRE information. Menu's, types (current and discontinued), other county's version. Links to who makes the different brands and sells them, ect.

MRE INFO

It is updated on a regular basis as things change and it also includes info on the new FRS or Fast Strike Ration. They are made to be consumed while on the go, no heater needed or water or to stop moving, each meal contains 2900 cals.

This site also has instructions on how to read case dates (manufacture and expiration).

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Shot in the chest? No problem! Just some plastic, a crap load of tape, and a needle decompression kit and you're good to go!
edit on 15-6-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Here in Arizona you do not need to use the heaters. They are always hot and ready to eat. I love the noodle casserole. I used to eat the K rations in Boy Scouts. Those were pretty tasty as well.
And they came with a free P-38!!

I used to get my p-38's with t-rats

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I was an EMT-B, so they taught us to tape all 4 sides down, minus one corner

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

They are pretty useful.

I trained to use the MRE pack to patch up sucking chest wounds.

LOL, yea they teach us that in the CLS course. a lot of things you can do with an MRE then just eating it. all they need is some 550 cord and your all set for the woodlands!!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

They taught us to tape it down on all four sides period.

You guys are medics though, we're not.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

That reminds me..I have to recert for CLS this week.
More MRE training lol.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

I was an EMT-B, so they taught us to tape all 4 sides down, minus one corner

Yea before it was just 3 sides, now its 4 huh? that MRE material is pretty handy in those kinds of situations, what was it? thrust the needle at the 2nd intercostal rib at the mid clavicular, ugh I can't remember I need a refresher...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join