It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your problem Humanity?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The problem is simple its the human ego. The human ego like a blob Amoeba has grown and grown after millenia and centuries to become what it is today, a big blog of ego contained on a small blue world, on the edge of know where in particular.

It is a bit like a huge beast which has outgrown his cage, the beast of humanity has become angry and agitated in its confines.

The solution presently being adopted?

The current philosophy being applied is a solution developed by the human ego itself, which is to subdue the beast into servitude, by using all means of technological tools developed to curtail its rights to move freely in the cage.

The problem with this approach?
This course of action cant work because human beings are social creatures by nature and because such gives humans the mechanism to adopt a group psychological mentality. Human beings when placed under extreme stresses will always adopt a group mentality as way to improve their survival changes.

This always leads inevitably to a mob psyhcology which easily embraces little excuses for use of extreme measures. Just look at the middle east attrocities committed by mob acts as one good example.

The real solution. The only real solution is to give humanity a greater enviroment in which to extend and challenge its ego. This naturally means humanity is at a turning point now where it must extend itself into space or collapse on its own weight and perish. Yes im talking about building spaceships, starships call them what you will which can carry thousands of humans at a time to destinations out there where colonies can be set up.

The only thing that can and ever will be able to squash the human ego is the vastness of space.

edit on 14-6-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

but we're already in a spaceship flying at 100,000 km/h around the sun, and humans colonies have been around for atleast 10,000 years and we still haven't learned to get along. So how would we intend to survive with each other in the vastness of space? let alone with other species we might encounter as a threat, even though they might not be, but look at what we have done to our own people....invaded them, killed them, destroyed their traditions, their beliefs, more killing and now we're killing off other species of this planet who have perhaps been here longer than we have because of our self superiority.

And people get mad when you tell them that they are not superior to another human or animal. MAD

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

My problem with humanity is that they will eat anything...

funnydust.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Tlexlapoca

The human ego needs a greater foe, which is not each other, or one group pitted against another, whether that's fighting over land or idealisms. The human ego needs to be pitted directly against space, its vastness is the only thing that can rope humanities poor behaviour in.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

The dissemination of our species across the vast expanse of space won't fix the inherent problems within us. Starting with a clean slate won't rectify the problems humanity faces either.

Humans are an environmental abnormality, so spreading to other planets won't necessarily be the solution to our most nagging problems.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Nacirema

The dissemination of our species across the vast expanse of space won't fix the inherent problems within us. Starting with a clean slate won't rectify the problems humanity faces either.

Does a antidote every completely eliminate a virus? No but it does keep it squashed so its effects are minimised to allow the quality of life required conducive for a productive environment to flourish. Space is the antidote.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Does a antidote every completely eliminate a virus? No but it does keep it squashed so its effects are minimised to allow the quality of life required conducive for a productive environment to flourish. Space is the antidote.

Ah, but that virus may adapt to the antiviral "antidote" and develop resistance against its effects. Humans are very flexible at adapting to varying environments, but at the core, the ugly aspects of our behavior are intertwined in the fabric of human nature.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I think it'll take more than a few light-years separating us.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I agree with this. No matter where we go, we will bring our problems along with us. Where ever we are, we destroy things for our own gain.

"War... War never changes."

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I think it'll take more than a few light-years separating us.

Be an optimist then that as humanity explores space we will find aggressive foes who will engage our savagery to group humanity together to fight on a common front.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The universe is huge. All beings are unique. To exhibit a uniqueness against countless other possible personalities, every thinkable personality will have to be manifest. Our issues are irrelevant. Were just one actualized possibility maintaining our uniqueness. Were human. This is what being human is about. Welcome to the show. You dont have a remote control. You are stuck on this channel. But its okay. In a short time, youll be gone and wont have to worry about it. Human affairs arent the end all be all of the universe, you know. Embrace it for now. Youll move on to something else one day. The problems you think are going on here are irrelevant outside of.the insignificant existence that is the human being. So embrace what feels natural.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Are you suggesting that we need to be free of ego? If so then the hive mentality is one of the biggest culprits and in mass is dangerous.

Having a common enemy has caused most of the problems that we face today, if we would need something like an "invasion" I dont think Im ok with the hive mentality based on people today especially if their ego is running the show.

Asking humanity to free itself from ego, as harmful as it may be for some, is a sudden loss of identity, because we dont know who we are, or, where we came from.

Just my 2 cents, Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Are you suggesting that we need to be free of ego? If so then the hive mentality is one of the biggest culprits and in mass is dangerous.

No NRE actually im suggesting that doing this would be futile. Humanities ego is linked to its savagery and hedonistic way. I am saying the only thing that can contain Humanities true nature is the expanse of what is out there in space. We may not realise as a race the reason why we are so much the way we are, is because we will need that attitude to survive on the new frontier which could be quite unforgiving and extremely hostile towards humanity, where our survival requires banding together on a common front.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
"A perfection of means and a confusion of aims seems to be our biggest problem" - Albert Einstein

I actually think this sums up humanities situation pretty good. Its almost like society is hell bent on perfecting what it can do because it can rather than considering the all the consequences of why it would do it.
Its like humanity could create the technology to travel the stars one day but wouldn't stop to consider why it needs or wants to. I do think traversing the stars would slow down the process of complete self inhalation but its hard to imagine the schism being removed by a change in focus not attitude.
Maybe a change in focus will lead to a change of attitude over time though.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Do you think that its important for us to know our true origins first? Would that, could that not unite us? Would it require a mass shut down and rebuild of humanity first, considering we walk aimlessly on the planet, and destroy ourselves and our world?

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
We are no abnormal species, we exactly behave like any other animal that lost their natural predators.
We are not meant as being number one on the food chain either. We are omnivorous, and should use our brains and opposable thumb as excuse to kill animals even for consumption it isn't natural to kill. We got lucky.

We are only weak, normally we would die a lot more, as lunch , getting sick, infected wounds and without medical science, we would often don't even get to live.

We do screw up. If we would find some balance, stop medication to make life last longer. That should relieve some pressure.

We can move to space, but will find nearly nothing in time we got to spend.
edit on 6/14/2013 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I like your theory and can partially agree.

However I think the problem is that we are still seriously under evolved, ie pretty stupid in the grand scheme of things, and being the apex predator doesn't help either.

All we do is kill each other and the very planet we live on, we're currently no different from a cancer.

I think we need to be wiped out (preferably by each other) so evolution can start again.

The difference being 2nd time round, our race will find better artifacts than cave drawings when we're evolved enough to be archaeologists, and hopefully find out what we did wrong 1st time round.

I don't think much would change if we went to other planets, not on this cycle of evolution anyway.

SnF
edit on 14/6/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Be an optimist then that as humanity explores space we will find aggressive foes who will engage our savagery to group humanity together to fight on a common front.

So war being our only saving grace is being optimistic? That's pretty twisted man.

This isn't a movie where Will Smith comes in, saves the day from the big bad aliens and makes us all see the error of our ways while we sing Kumbayah. This is reality, and the reality of the situation is that the war machine is too profitable to stop and the Generals/CEO's in charge are too rich to care.

Killing is their business and business is good. The best thing to do is just sit back and watch them all slowly screw themselves over.

edit on 14-6-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

Really we're at the mercy of the people who own the guns. I'm not talking about munitions either (well possibly). Even if the majority were to magically come together in harmony the 2% that run the world would cease it to be and we will start from square 1 and eventually (probably) end up the same way. While I firmly believe that the ego will be a big part our own undoing, I don't think sending people into space is a solution for the above mentioned reason. The real solution is time which unfortunately is linear for us right now. Time and knowledge/

I think the ego can be subdued but only internally not externally. You can't force a person to act a certain way that only leads to confusion, rebellion, hate, anger, and distrust...ie religion, laws, norms, etc. If a person can somehow find peace within his or herself without any external governing then the ego can remain diminished. The problem is we are getting attacked on all fronts psychologically. Based on our current model we can only consume until we can consume no more with no regard for our future.

We've had the benefit of knowledge and history so that we can learn from our ancestors however we currently don't know how to use that knowledge. Our brains are being manipulated by a corrupted system so that our thinking processes are changed over time..."you need this to survive!" Our true history is right under our noses yet we choose to ignore or change it to fit our means. What this means in the long run is that our brains will eventually lose the capacity to function at the level its capable of functioning now. Savants will one day be our more developed human race....when we don't fill them full of drugs.

I guess really the ultimate question will be.....will we even get the chance.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The real question is...what's wrong with the human race collapsing under it's own weight and perishing? It appears to me that the human ego is alive and well even in this "we must move to space" ideology.....I say we go the way of the dinosaurs and let the next big thing(if there is one) have center stage.

A2D

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Not for nothing but I still have faith in the human race, I believe we have a lot to give and a lot to receive. I think we are on the brink of some really amazing things within the next 50 years if we can manage to survive it. If we can somehow overcome this overwhelming obstacle of ourselves the possibilities are endless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join