It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer Shoots My Dog, $1800 Fine

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

you are not getting a fine " because the police shot your dog " - you are getting a fine because it was running loose and kiled another dog

PS can you post the " fine letter " with personsal info deleted - because - i dont believe you have been fined without a hearing

i suspect the $1800 is a " fixed penalty " if you accept guilt - and that the letter will detail your rights to a court hearing - and point out that if found guilty - the court has the power to impose a fine far greater than $1800 [ and other sanctions ]

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sandalphon
My sympathies for losing a part of your household. Honestly if my dog was so disobedient to the point of requiring spikes in a collar which could be escaped, and ran around a neighborhood picking fights, it's time to find a better dog that doesn't shame the family. That dog made you look like a bad owner. That price is steep.

I'm speechless but could not resist before hitting it for the night. Do you seriously think a dog gets the concept of bringing shame or glory to a family? That isn't why people have them as part of their family - or should not be a concern. There is this thing and its called "unconditional love" and dogs are like 2 year olds - they want to love, be loved, play and eat. And like a 2 year old they want to please you but need you to help them succeed at that in a loving and patient way. So if your dog kept getting off the leash and ultimately outsmarts you, you then say "get a new dog because they shamed me?"

Pets are not disposable and what im hearing in your post is that they are; all for the infraction of "owner gets caught with dog outsmarting them, the dog brings shame so trades dog in for new one." Ive never in my life heard someone say anything remotely like this and am astounded. I guess thats part of the reason for an abundance of abandoned dogs. If you have a dog please do some reading of their abilities and limitations.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   

The Police have had this agenda/adopted policy for a while to terminate Pit Bulls on sight. In fact in my town Pit Bulls are banned! Yes, an entire breed is banned due to city ordinance. This all due to a few incidents where people were abusing these animals and training them to be fight dogs. Where one Pit escaped his cage and got a hold of a baby and killed the baby. The parents were completely negligent. It's the same as loading a gun and leaving it laying on a coffee table in front of toddlers. The outcome? The parents got sympathy from the community and were not charged for child endangerment or manslaughter as they should have been. They even kept the dog after the fact up until the ban. Then in another occurrence the police shot a Pit Bull dead on sight without provocation. Soon after that a German shepherd was killed in front of several witnesses after walking up to greet the officer like dogs often do. The whole neighborhood was up in arms in a riot after this and the police went in to damage control threatening people to go inside imposing gestapo tactics to follow.

The chief of Police made a public statement defending the officer in saying the shooting was justified and the Cop received no discipline for his actions. This sets a bad example and opens invitation for more cruel dog hating officers and the cowardly to kill any animal on sight as they see fit. Over the next few years more Dog shootings happened and the same ol same ol song and dance...

Today your dog tomorrow your neighbor then you! As we see this unfold in the shape of things to come. The police as irresponsible and corrupt as possible are immune to punishment. This just shows we are living in a totalitarian police state to top it off with cameras on every light pole to unmanned drones ect. Your dog, man's best friend and companion is your defender. Much as Gun's pose a threat to absolute tyranny being the buffer between you and incarceration for whatever crime they can imagine in to existence. It's the person behind the trigger, the animal behind the teeth that should be responsible not an entire breed and not the tools we own that should be feared. Just like children, you raise them with love and compassion and they usually grow up to become good people. You neglect starve abuse children even dogs you get negative results it is simple.

Good news behind the following video the Police were sued for murdering this poor animal. Still very sad though that this occurs almost every day and the issue is widely ignored.

As for your situation OP I simply don't know, but you should have secured your animal never the less. If it killed another dog well dogs fight and that is natural from all breeds. As for being shot it could have been justified however know that many cops will shoot first ask questions later. I gotta say 1800 is incredibly steep and absolute unrealistic fine to give anyone. In this economy especially. For a dog to break loose, something that can easily happen should not even be anything near that amount. But the laws are made by the elite living on the greener side of the grass they simply can not relate to the majority and to them 18,00 dollars is chump change. That is a problem in itself. No it is NOT fair.

But if it were me I would be more upset about losing my Pet then the money. And I think your OP illustrates that you were not a responsible and caring Dog owner no offense. This is why this happened. Just my two cents.
edit on 7-6-2013 by DarthFazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
"Why did I get this fine in the mail?"

..."I dont know whos dog that was....another irresponsible owner....Turns and walks off.."

Cop-

"Sir- The dogs address is the same as yours, care to explain?"

Me-

"Yes"

No really though- The dog is just a representation of the owner.
I have had many different kinds of dogs- None more loyal and loving than both of my pitbulls.
My Bassett Hounds were more aggressive then my pits-It just took them longer to catch up to their lunch.

Its simple really- You treat your dog like its Mike Tyson- thats how it will act.

As a dog owner- You know the rules. You being irresponsible with a dog who already has a bad rep because
of previous owners who have done the same-doesnt help the rest of us trying to bring knowledge to the ignorant
fools who just want to blame the breed.

Thats a big fine- If I was a cop Id be pissed that I had to put down a dog because of an irresponsible owner.

Id be more upset about losing my dog rather than paying a fine for my incompetance.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I'm sorry to hear your dog was shot.
But depending on the leash laws in your area you are stuck paying that.

Its possible it goes beyond the leash law, provided they have one. It also might be for the death of the other dog as well.

Generally speaking a fine comes with a court appearance - rarely the other way around.

My question to the OP would be were you cited for your dog being loose / killing another dog / "attacking the officer", or were you issued a letter from animal control / police department about the incident?

3rd does your city allow for ownership of a pitbull / terrier breed?
Was the chain you had your dog attached to legal in your state / county / city?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

Pit bulls are illegal in the U.K. for a very good reason. If they decide to attack, they can and have, killed people and other dogs.

It certainly isn't for "very good reason". Breed specific legislation is born from ignorance, prejudice, and misapplication of fault. There isn't a such thing as a bad breed but bad owners. Pit bulls are an amazing breed. Extremely loyal and loving. Jackass owners think that they need to train these dogs to be mean and tough and the dog is so loyal they will behave as they are trained.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthFazer

If that was my dog I would return the favor to the cop and spend the rest of my days behind bars.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Today in the mail we recieved a $1800 fine from the local magistrates office that we now have to pay. Can you believe that? They are fining us $1800 dollars after killing our dog. I think the rottweiler is a more aggressive breed and i think the dog attacked my dog. I also think the police officer was quick to shoot. I just can't believe it.

My condolences on losing your dog...that is horrible.

However, it is your responsibility to keep the animal restrained. You failed to do this, and now two dogs are dead. Had you not failed in this responsibility, both dogs would be alive, and you'd not be on the hook for $1800. You seem nonchalant about the fact he got loose before. That should have been a wake up call. What if the dog instead attacked a person? You'd be out far more than $1800.

Chances are, your dog is male? If so, and the Rottweiler was an unfixed male, the normal disposition of your dog wouldn't be an issue, the chances of them two going at it are pretty good. And, having been in the middle of such a dog fight more than once, I can tell you that even the most skilled person can get a serious bite out of it.

The whole thing sucks, but could have been prevented. That is the real lesson to take from this, so you never have to face this again. It is a dog owner's responsibility to make sure their pet is secured, not just for the safety of others, but for the dog's safety as well.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

No, there are certain natural triggers that can occur regardless of training, especially between two male dogs (if that was the case here). These responses have NOTHING to do with the owner.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Any responsible owner should know these natural responses exist and try their hardest to prevent their dog from getting into such situations. I'm not seeing any of that from the OP.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I agree with most of the people on here that it is up to each of us to secure our pets! While $1800 dollars is a lot of money it could have been a lot worse if for some unknown reason that someone got hurt because of your dog!
Also if your dog escaped his collar once then you should have maybe built an enclosure for him or some other way to back up his leash!

I realize that dogs do get out sometimes but this is why when my dog is out I always check on her! Every 10 min
should be sufficient and no longer then an hour outside alone! If you have no intention of having your pet inside then I would suggest you not get another one and if you do be prepared to be responsible for whatever mischief it might cause!

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Sounds like your dog paid the price for your irresponsibility, and that ticks me off. You deserve the fine. I had a neighbor who did the same thing... 2 pitbulls kept getting loose. Eventually they got into a nearby sheep pen and killed a bunch of sheep and left many maimed, dragging their intestines about and such. They euthanaized both pitbulls and he ended up getting sued. No pity from me (for you). Many people aren't responsible enough to have animals. Direct your anger where it belongs. At yourself.
edit on 7-6-2013 by jheherrin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
While I'm sad for your dog's undignified ending, I can't understand people who just leave their dogs alone outside and tied up. If it's nice enough for the dog to be outside, it should be being attended to by a responsible person at all times, especially so if you can't guarantee it not being able to get off your property if it somehow slips its leash. As for rottweilers being the more vicious breed, that is nonsense - viciousness is something an owner allows to develop, not something inherent in a particular breed.

I am in the process of trying to get an anti-chaining law passed in Kentucky . The law states that an "owner" may not leave their dog chained up for more than 30 minutes . The time limit is for those who have house dogs that need to allow them time outside to relieve themselves . I doubt it will go anywhere but I find it appalling that dogs must spend their lives on the end of a chain and just complaining behind some keyboard accomplishes nothing , if it fails I can say I at least tried . I spent the money to fence in my yard and went the extra mile to have concrete poured several inches thick all along the bottom of the fence so my dogs could not dig their way out .

If one can not provide their dogs with room to run un-chained , or allow them to live in the house and take them for regular walks/exercise then maybe dog ownership is not for them .

Collars that the OP described are for training purposes only (which I still find cruel ) and not for long term use .The spikes that dig into their neck are to teach them not to pull on the leash when walking them . Not for when the are chained up in some back yard .

I blame owners for dangerous dogs , not the breeds . A well socialized dog is a good dog . A dog who spends it's life at the end of a chain with little socialization and not shown the proper love and attention do not know how to act around other dogs or people . I owned a Chow Chow who was the most gentle dog one would wish to come in contact . They were demonized for years around here as being vicious. But I took the time to socialize her with other dogs and people since she was a pup . The only time she would show aggression was when someone tried to get too close to the wife and I but if we told her it was OK , then she was fine .
edit on 7-6-2013 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by whenandwhere

Are there any local ordinances in Kentucky that address chaining of dogs? If there is you may stand a chance at the state level.

Document the ill effects of chaining to the dogs. All of the Humane organizations will help in this regard, as most keep statistics on the type of incidents in the OP.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

Are there any local ordinances in Kentucky that address chaining of dogs? If there is you may stand a chance at the state level.

Document the ill effects of chaining to the dogs. All of the Humane organizations will help in this regard, as most keep statistics on the type of incidents in the OP.

No , there is no ordinances concerning chaining . There are anti-cruelty laws on the books but are rarely enforced . Actually , law enforcement can care less about animal cruelty in my town . And the nearest thing to a humane society is the local dog catchers who are just as cruel to dogs and cats as careless owners .

I do have statistics that I received from Stop animal abuse.com .

What really lit a fire under me was a neighbor two doors up had 4 "pit-bull" type dogs chained up in his back yard . Two without any shelter to get out of the weather . They only fed and watered them when ever the mood struck them and would kick them when the dogs got excited and looked for some sort of attention from them .

He and I had words and almost come to blows many times . He said my dogs were "spoiled" because I washed them , brushed them and generally looked out for their well being .

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
I was prepared to be angered by the cops actions, especially since we've seen so many unjustified dog shootings - particularly of pit bulls. I have an american bulldog that we fostered, then adopted from Bella's Bully Buddies, so I have an affinity to pitties.

BUT, your dog got out of an unsecured collar, out of an unsecured yard, and killed another (LARGE) dog. Yep, that justifies it for me. Take it as the lesson it is, and condolences to the poor dogs (plural) that died due to the negligence.

It almost makes me wonder if there is karmic reincarnations for dogs. Its such a tragic event, and something happened as if fate was arranged to bring both dogs together, so wonder what their past life connection was?

I'm sorry you've lost your dog.

I would never get any of those breeds. Also, wasn't happy to read someone was bit by a cocker spaniel twice, for when we move was planning on getting a cockapoo. My youngest son wants a white german shepherd. It seems to me golden retriever might be an option. But we had plans for one larger, like a white german shepherd, and one smaller, a cockapoo. We had a wonderful german shepherd, pure bed, but must have had lab past the 7 or so generations, for she was one of the golden pups her papered father, and ex police dog, threw out. And everyone took the puppies, we never had any problems giving them away. She would never harm an intruder, was so wonderful and to do this day missed.

Securing yard and various things need to be looked into very much.

The only kind of dog I want, is one that would lick an intruder to death, barking in emergencies is a good but no violent attacks needed.

Pitbulls have powerful jaws, even if the dog is overall good, it only takes losing its temper once, for massive injuries to take place.
edit on 7-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen in your neighborhood. Good luck with your attempts. I absolutely hated seeing this type of thing.

How are the dogs with the rest of the folks and pets in the neighborhood?

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Both dogs are very territorial so it was inevitable. We actually took really good care of him, there is 4 adults living in my house so he got walked constantly and fed properly and pretty much anything he wanted.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Dogs are pack animals, either they are the boss or you are. Any breed will respond in a positive way if you set the terms early on that you are pack leader. Long walks a couple of times a day, and include them in family activities. Get them used to the car, clipping their nails, bathing, visitors very early on. Routine is so important for a happy companion. Pets are a reflection of the stability and strengths of their family, or lack of.

edit on 7-6-2013 by Witness2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Common Good

No, there are certain natural triggers that can occur regardless of training, especially between two male dogs (if that was the case here). These responses have NOTHING to do with the owner.

This is true , there are some natural triggers , but very early socialization with others dogs when they are pups helps tremendously . But this is a two way street , both dogs need to be well socialized . If my dog was attacked by another dog , I would not fault her for fighting back . This is why all dog owners should socialize their dogs at a very early age .

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join