It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer Shoots My Dog, $1800 Fine

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It's because their necks are so muscular and are virtually as wide as their jaws. The collar slips off. Your friend was right, they must be harnessed for their safety and others. They are an amazing breed, so loyal and loving. Extremely playful, bit they take a bit more education and understanding for the owner than most other breeds. I suggest finding a book or two all about pits. I have several and most all of them are quite similar.

Thats true. They are an amazing breed although not my favorite, this dog was actually my brothers but he was our families more then his. I prefer dobermans. But i agree with you, if its a breed like pitbulls they do require a certain degree of knowledge for care.

They're worth the trouble.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Not literally "lock" but they don't let up. My uncle had one (played with it; gentle and trustworthy). A neighbors child came into contact and the dog lost it. He could not get him to let go. Child lived but was hospitalized. So no they do not physically lock but I was told as a part of their instinct, once they clamp on its hard or impossible to get them to let go.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari
No, it doesn't. It never happens to people with secure yards and/or properly restrained dogs.

You can say with 100% certainty it NEVER happens? Even with proper precautions? Bit arrogant if you ask me.

Could the OP taken more precautions in making sure the dog didn't get out? Probably, but to say that it never happens is a load of bull****, things happen, people make mistakes and some dogs can wiggle and pull till the collar or harness stretches (or breaks) and gets loose.

edit on 6/6/1313 by GR1ill3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I understand where your coming from when you clarify your position in such an articulate way. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

I'm an advocate, what can I say. Thanks for understanding that we aren't attacking you as a person, just a couple decisions that were made in this case. Hopefully so that they don't happen to you again, or others here who may read this thread and have pit bulls, or other such breeds also. Education is powerful, I just am sad we all couldn't have had this discussion a week ago.

edit on 6-6-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GR1ill3d

No, it doesn't. It never happens to people with secure yards and/or properly restrained dogs.

You can say with 100% certainty it NEVER happens? Even with proper precautions? Bit arrogant if you ask me.

Could the OP taken more precautions in making sure the dog didn't get out? Probably, but to say that it never happens is a load of bull****, things happen, people make mistakes and some dogs can wiggle and pull till the collar or harness stretches enough for them to get loose.

Well, "never" is a poor word, but it's pretty much true. Nearly all instances of a dog getting loose are due to preventable missteps by the animal's owner.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This is easy enough to prove.
Google
Cops go to wrong house,shoot chained dog .
Cops shoot dog because his owner was homeless,but asleep
Cops kill dog during raid
Cops shoot dog for barking
Cops shoot innocent dog ,pay over 200,000$ in restitution .
Cops shoot dog at festival

I also know for a fact the cops killed animals at the raid on occupy wall street ,at zuccotti park . They crushed a dog to death ,and it was covered up .

I am an animal rescue person,and I am actively involved with animal rights and welfare.
Give me the topic ,I can show you more examples than you can imagine ,all over the USA,and even other countries.
Cats dogs birds rabbits reptiles small animals

We asisted in rescuing numerous animals left out just before hurricane Irene and hurricane sandy . Bunnies dogs,cats ,abandoned as the storm hit .
People suck ,and I know it well,from real first hand experience .
I own one of the cats rescued before sandy hit .

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dianec

Not literally "lock" but they don't let up. My uncle had one (played with it; gentle and trustworthy). A neighbors child came into contact and the dog lost it. He could not get him to let go. Child lived but was hospitalized. So no they do not physically lock but I was told as a part of their instinct, once they clamp on its hard or impossible to get them to let go.

You can press your thumbs into the "golfball" muscle on the inside of both sides where their jaws meet and they will release. A pit bull does have a strong bite, bit it's jaws do not "lock". It can maintain bite pressure for a lot longer than other breeds. Human aggression is not a natural trait for a pit bull. It's something taught to the dog in virtually all instances where it rears it's ugly head.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Daaaaamn. Tough times. Sorry to hear.

Might be time to get a chijuajua

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by GR1ill3d

Could the OP taken more precautions in making sure the dog didn't get out? Probably, but to say that it never happens is a load of bull****, things happen, people make mistakes and some dogs can wiggle and pull till the collar or harness stretches enough for them to get loose.

Well, "never" is a poor word, but it's pretty much true. Nearly all instances of a dog getting loose are due to preventable missteps by the animal's owner.

Agreed, I just can't stand it when people say such things with such certainty. Most mistakes are easily preventable, but there is always a chance of a dog getting away even with when all bases seem covered, dogs are a lot smarter then most people think, that with the power of a more aggressive/naturally strong breed (pitbull, rot etc.) and it can happen.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GR1ill3d

Well, I think we're all on the same page and the use of the word "never" was more hyperbole or a figure of speech than an actual statement of fact. Know what I mean?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
Officers have been brought up on charges for these offenses in some states

Care to show us a link where a policeman has been bought up on charges for shooting a dog that had just killed another dog and was running at him?

No, of course you cannot.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by Dianec

You can press your thumbs into the "golfball" muscle on the inside of both sides where their jaws meet and they will release. A pit bull does have a strong bite, bit it's jaws do not "lock". It can maintain bite pressure for a lot longer than other breeds. Human aggression is not a natural trait for a pit bull. It's something taught to the dog in virtually all instances where it rears it's ugly head.

That's really good information. All of this is. I wouldn't own a pit (unless it was homeless and no one else would take care of it). because of what I saw and I have kids. That's super biased but it scared the heck outa me so I suppose i just chose other breeds. Would happily pet one - just the kid thing and the way they couldnt get him to let go. I think these poor dogs get a bad rap so am enjoying reading some educational posts about them. I love all animals and while I'm not sure I'd wanna be put into a position to approach one whose in a fight its really important to know you can get them to let go. It would be nice to know how to break up a dog fight too. In general. Hate seein that go down.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

It would be nice to know how to break up a dog fight too. In general. Hate seein that go down.

Me to. I think im going to research that out of curiosity now that you mention it.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Cops get AWAY with killing dogs all the time,but putting their names out there so people know what low life's they are,is just as good .
It's why more and more of them are being charged .
Why do you think I mentioned the dog killed in zuccotti park .
Fuhrer bloombarf let the cops act like Nazis thru that entire thing,and covered it all up .
And what else is the cop going to say if they shoot a dog for no reason ...
OH ,HE RAN AT ME ,I FEARED FOR MY LIFE .

Moron cop kills his own dog with cruelty ,and gets away with it .
www.copblock.org...

www.denverpost.com...

Why they don't even know the difference between capturing ,and killing .
www.stltoday.com... 16.html

Oh noes ,the therapy dog is dangerous !
www.dogheirs.com...

Or maybe just look here.
The first one about the cat shot with an arrow is priceless.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Cops get AWAY with killing dogs all the time,

As expected, no where there is
"Care to show us a link where a policeman has been bought up on charges for shooting a dog that had just killed another dog and was running at him?"

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I love Pits they are wonderful dogs you just have to be careful whom
you get it from in regards to breeding & disposition. They are extremely
sweet, nice , affectionate & protective dogs(good side of protection).

I have seen their interaction with very young kids, small dogs, large dogs,
& cats without any problems. Most problems are from their breeding to
be bred as fighting dogs & people making them aggressive. Other wise
they are great dogs & just get a bad rap especially from the gangster side.

I've been a Lic Veterinary Technician since 1995 & I have only come across
maybe 2 - 3 aggressive Pits & one being owned by an owner that knew his
was a problem. He owned a very good muzzle & would muzzle "ET" prior to
the visit. We never had a problem.

OP needs an outdoor kennel if dogs cannot be monitored & it's
cheaper & probably much safer than a fenced in yard since a cover
can be installed on top so the dog cannot jump out.

There are also ways to remedy digging out by placing fencing or
cattle guards under a few inches of soil...also another option is the shock
collar for leaving the desired zone.

I personally train me dogs to behave & I go out with them which is healthier
if you have the time, because it's a time for interaction.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

reply to post by hellobruce

You think its that easy to just secure our yard? Putting a fence on your house isn't that cheap and me and my family have been dealing with a lot of financial issues among other things that really are not your business.

Is this what you would have told the parents of a mauled little kid if your dog would have gotten out again/was in an aggressive mood?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

Cops get AWAY with killing dogs all the time,

As expected, no where there is
"Care to show us a link where a policeman has been bought up on charges for shooting a dog that had just killed another dog and was running at him?"

As expected,you didn't look at ANY of the links,or google anything else I posted.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Oh i understand the difference. We have a crate but the dog was just let outside for a few minutes to go to the bathroom. I wasnt even home. It was another family member letting the dog out for 10 minutes in the morning before the day starts.

You are some kind of personal responsibility avoidance grand master, no?

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

As expected,you didn't look at ANY of the links,or google anything else I posted.

As expected, you are wrong again.

None of those links showed any police officer being charged for killing a dog tha twas running at him after it had killed another dog, did it?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join