It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Fatally Shot by Police at Cosco Handing Out Pizza Samples.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
You put a pig in a position of power and it's going to start abusing that power.

^^^ Seems a rather predetermined point of view .... much akin to that which all too many seem ready, able and willing to proclaim about near any incident involving a member of law enforcement. (?)

broad brush-based generalizations don't do either side any good...

good and bad people in this world
good and bad leo just the same.

simple as that.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Chapman said the stun gun "did not work

This is vague. Did the gun not work because it was defective, improperly placed shot or are we to believe that somehow this woman is impervious to 300 kV (300,000 volts, a common load)?

Or was it a 'CYA' comment? "Oh-oh, we better say we tried to taser her..."

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
When they are pulling the trigger on a firearm, they are not shooting to wound. If a trigger is being pulled, it is being done to put an immediate stop to what is happening. There is no "lets try and hit them in the arm so they drop the weapon" happening - this is not Hollywood. Primary concern is to put a halt to the incident and to avoid collateral damage. That is done with a center mass shot to kill, not a Sideshow Bob act trying to wing a waving arm.

Nobody likes things like this happening, but use common sense people.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MongusePro
Was it really impossible to fire a bullet into the arm, leg, lower torso?

It is not impossible, it just isn't procedure. You do not draw your weapon unless you are prepared to pull the trigger, and you do not pull the trigger without the intent to kill. Do not think for a moment that this action was taken lightly by the officer. The moment he put his hand on his gun, he understood the possibility that he may be ending the life of another human being. He did not get up that morning thinking that he was going to pull the trigger and kill a woman in a grocery store.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

The internet has created a whole new generation of keyboard warriors. Decorum or manners no longer matter, it is all about who can say the most outrageous thing. I have never had any desire to be an LEO, but have had many friends in the profession, enough to know, I would be dangerous, I have no patience. To the good cops out there, cheers to you, to the bad cops, I only want to say "Karma is a bitch".

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
It seems like cops in the US only shoot to kill these days. That's alot of cops who have murdered someone who could of been easily dealt with if they shot them in the leg instead.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by flyswatter

Nonsense its just as easy to take someone out with a leg shot in certain circumstances. Common sense says cops don't always have to KILL the person. After all they are not soldiers but are public servants.
edit on 1-6-2013 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Its okay. No big deal.

The're cops.

Cops can hurt anyone they want, because they're cops.

Didn't anyone tell you, OP?

The state and police are GOD.

Don't you KNOW that?

edit on 1-6-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: typo

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by flyswatter

Nonsense its just as easy to take them out with a leg shot. Common sense says cops don't always have to KILL the person. After all they are not soldiers but are public servants.
edit on 1-6-2013 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

If you have never pulled a weapon and shot a person in real life, you are in no position to make this statement. On a shooting range, I am a marksman, but have never had to pull a weapon in fear, but am thinking I would shoot for the mass.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
Its okay. No big deal.

The're cops.

Cops can hurt anyone they want, because they're cops.

Didn't anyone tell you, OP?

The state and police are GOD.

Don't you KNOW that?

edit on 1-6-2013 by XxNightAngelusxX because: typo

No it is not okay, the LEO's are covered under state and federal law as well. They cannot hurt anyone they want, and only the "Bad" cops do that. I have had many friends in LE and, yes some do believe that they are god. However the good ones rise to the top. There is good and bad in every one, every agency, and every organization, do not let the bad color you concerning the whole.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
An armed response unit in London responded to the soldier hacking death.
The assailants were armed with meat cleavers, and butchers knives, and a pistol.
They charged at the police.

Both were shot. Both lived.
The policy of the UK police is not to shoot to kill.

It's becoming a rarity for anyone to survive a police shooting in the US.
Different tactics.
The policy for some units in the US must be shoot to kill.
Non-lethal weapons are easy to find. Bean-bag shotguns, even plastic bullets.
Nope. Dead every time.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Where is the dude calling people evil for not just blaming the cops.That is some funny BS.

1. One person caused this event and I wish the suspect didn't make the wrong choices she did which have probably ruined multiples lives.

2. Anyone saying they would have shot her in the leg remember that is a lot easier to say than do.

3. I have not gone through the more recent posts but the original thread said "knife and scissors" what I want to know is what she was doing with them. Did she charge at people, was she standing there.

4. What non-lethal options did the cops have besides a stun gun?

5. What time did they have to implement those non-lethal items?

Without knowing at least the past 3 it's hard to just really say anything for sure, other than the suspect should have chosen a different path.

edit on 1-6-2013 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
The assailants were armed with meat cleavers, and butchers knives, and a pistol.

Different tactics.
Nope. Dead every time.

It is not a rarity, but only the ones that are killed make the news.

I agree concerning non lethal weapons. Let me give you an example of the legal system here in the USA, I am an LEO, and hit someone with a beanbag in the eye, and he loses that eye, I am going to be personally found responsible for the loss of his eye, and thus forced to pay him for damages, whether or not he was committing a crime at the time.

As I stated before, I am not an LEO, I don't have the patience.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Very true, why was it back i n the 1900's the cops had to face people with knives and such yet always beat them down without shooting them? Today they aren't strong enough to fight the little lady with the knife. So aim high and hope for the worst. Heck my granddad had epilepsy and used to "go nuts" swinging and hitting the cops that would inevitably be called in to secure him. They never shot him, they man handled him and forced him to the ground. Granted might not be the best thing to do but back then thats how it was done. They waited till it was over, released him and moved on to their next case. No guns or tasers used, just brute force. I guess this comes with the youth of today. They want everything given to them from the start. Fear, respect, and big amount of money for doing barely any work.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe

Different tactics.
Nope. Dead every time.

I agree concerning non lethal weapons. Let me give you an example of the legal system here in the USA, I am an LEO, and hit someone with a beanbag in the eye, and he loses that eye, I am going to be personally found responsible for the loss of his eye, and thus forced to pay him for damages, whether or not he was committing a crime at the time.

Ah, so if the non-lethal weapons can cause personal responsibility, and a death shot won't (and we all know they never do), it's better to go for the kill?
I get it know.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Different tactics.
Nope. Dead every time.

Ah, so if the non-lethal weapons can cause personal responsibility, and a death shot won't (and we all know they never do), it's better to go for the kill?
I get it know.

I am not saying it is right, just the way it is. The entire legal system here in the US is horked up, top to bottom, pretty much along with everything else.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by anubis93
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Very true, why was it back i n the 1900's the cops had to face people with knives and such yet always beat them down without shooting them? Today they aren't strong enough to fight the little lady with the knife. So aim high and hope for the worst.

Awesome, can you share the details about what happened today since you know they should have just tackled the suspect I mean the little lady with the knife.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Different tactics.
Nope. Dead every time.

I get it know.

I am not saying it is right, just the way it is. The entire legal system here in the US is horked up, top to bottom, pretty much along with everything else.

If that's the kind of thing running through a LEOs head when they draw their weapon, they need to not carry one.
We all know the legal system (notice that I didn't say 'Justice' system - because there isn't one) is messed up, and that cops can and do get away with any transgression, but it doesn't make it right.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta

Originally posted by roadgravel
One problem with multiple weapons of different lethal level has been displayed in the past when a officer thought he pulled a tazer but shot a person with his service weapon.

A thread here somewhere, I believe.

How? Not that i want to read the thread but how? Two different styles of weapon different grips no sights

How can you mistakenly draw your pistol instead of a taser located in a different holster?

this happened at a bart station in oakland, calif. oscar grant was shot by officer mesherle

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
No win situation for the cops here on ATS. The source says:

Scott reportedly became upset when she ran out of pizza, reported Northern Virginia Bureau Chief Julie Carey. Witnesses said she was waving a knife and scissors, threatening employees.

They used a stun gun first then a firearm. If they hadn't and an innocent was stabbed in the neck and died those here critical of the cops would then be saying they weren't doing their job.

Could've just tackled and restrained her?

Or if really necessary use a blunt defence weapon (I.E baton or night-stick)

Or hell, even ram her with the car :')

All of which wouldnt have resulted in a needless pointless typical american death.

Take guns away from police, They clearly dont understand the severity of taking another humans life,
Even when such a human is threatening other people, there are more appropriate ways to deal with it than a gunshot....

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join