It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Fatally Shot by Police at Cosco Handing Out Pizza Samples.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
What can i say?.... Welcome to the Police state... Comply or be executed on the spot.

Woman Handing Out Samples at Va. Costco Shot Dead by Police After Acting Strangely

If this isn't complete and utter madness then i really don't know what is. Although it's still early and details are sketchy this is beyond belief. I'm getting used to (but still condemning) unarmed black youths being executed in the street but this is a whole other realm of what on this green earth!

Talk about unnecessary use of force. Can we retrain US police officers to use a gun AS A LAST RESORT, like back only 15 years ago.

Story

The melee began at about 3 p.m. Wednesday, when store employees noticed 38-year-old Mhai Scott acting oddly while handing out pizza samples, said Loudoun County Sheriff Mike Chapman.

Scott reportedly became upset when she ran out of pizza, reported Northern Virginia Bureau Chief Julie Carey. Witnesses said she was waving a knife and scissors, threatening employees.

Deputies were called to the store to handle the disturbance. After they arrived, Scott -- who worked for a company that handles sampling at Costco stores -- approached the officers with the sharp items, authorities said. One deputy tried to use a stun gun on Scott, but Chapman said the stun gun "did not work," and another deputy fatally shot her.

I quit smoking 4 days ago and this nearly broke it for me

I sincerely hope this officer sees jail time but i doubt it.

EDIT: MODS: As usual i'm terrible at picking a forum... move if you feel it necessary.
edit on 1-6-2013 by MongusePro because: (no reason given)

EDIT: Thank you all for your fair and balanced arguments. Keeping ATS a great place to debate and learn.

edit on 1-6-2013 by MongusePro because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/2013 by maria_stardust because: Thread title changed to reflect accuracy of story.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think its in the right forum, its a social issue to me.
These cops are such pig headed beasts, they have mace, tasers, pepper spray and batons.....why the hell do they always turn to a firearm?

I have a problem with stuff like this, a BIG problem.

Maybe if they didn't flex their authoritative muscles to everyone like some sort of showboating move, these police officers wouldn't be so afraid when they encounter problems.

Its like they always have to look over their shoulder, probably because they know people don't like them.

I would love to have more respect for police officers, but moves like this take away all their credibility.
I see them more as bullies now days than respectable citizens who are upholding the law.

At one point i thought about becoming a cop, but that novelty wore off fast.
edit on 1-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
we are at a moment in time when the police have total carte blanche to do as they wish. they've never had it so 'good'. they are untouchable. they are all powerful. they are the last word.

+27 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I guess you shouldn't wave a potential weapon around threatening people.

Come on guys..

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MongusePro

Talk about unnecessary use of force. Can we retrain US police officers to use a gun AS A LAST RESORT, like back only 15 years ago.

How do you know it was not a last resort, didn't the article say they tried a stun gun first?
Maybe the alleged suspect should not be approach people with sharp objects in a threatening manner?

Please don't give me some BS about "im a supporter of the police state" personally I want to know why they didn't use pepper spray or something else. Their needs to be more facts released on this but it certainly seems like they had other moves to make.

All that being said one person is responsible for this and no one else and that , sadly, is the person that lost their life. They chose to act in a threatening manner and because of that, they lost their life.

+26 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
No win situation for the cops here on ATS. The source says:

Scott reportedly became upset when she ran out of pizza, reported Northern Virginia Bureau Chief Julie Carey. Witnesses said she was waving a knife and scissors, threatening employees.

They used a stun gun first then a firearm. If they hadn't and an innocent was stabbed in the neck and died those here critical of the cops would then be saying they weren't doing their job.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton

Come on guys..

What was the weapon? a toothpick with a Vienna sausage on it?

edit on 1-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: NVM i see the above post

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta

Come on guys..

Seems pretty clear what the weapons were, "Witnesses said she was waving a knife and scissors"

Both of which are lethal , can and have killed people.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yip... Scissors and a knife = dangerous weapons...Pizza cutter = rubbish weapon..

I'm sure the cops know what they are doing...

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Come on guys..

Witnesses said she was waving a knife and scissors...

Reading the source. It helps.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Of course, convenient that they tazed first and it didn't work.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

There's no excuse for an execution style shot and besides it's cosco i doubt this lady was given a blade of any significance due to H&S .. these guys are trained (or used to be) to disarm not to kill outright.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MongusePro

I wonder if she was waving a gun around, if she would have been shot?

Personally, it looks like she was tazed, and kept coming. I feel bad about anyone losing their life.

Now, lets see if the stun gun had batteries in it..........

edit on 1-6-2013 by sonnny1 because: spelling

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
if she was waving a knife and scissors threatening an average citizen and was shot, I imagine most folks would call it self defense.

Seems the police were in the right.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Come on guys..

edit on 1-6-2013 by shaneslaughta because: NVM i see the above post

When i read the headline I thought toothpick also given how things have been going.

I have to believe that police have decided that deadly force is the norm in today's world. I would be interested in knowing the length of time, past and present, that police engage a person before shots are fired.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

There's no excuse for an execution style shot and besides it's cosco i doubt this lady was given a blade of any significance due to H&S .. these guys are trained (or used to be) to disarm not to kill outright.

Their is no excuse to be threatening people with a knife and scissors as both can be used to kill.

Horrible no win story and I wish the alleged suspect didn't cause this situation because multiple lives have been ruined over her poor choice.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

...i doubt...

Right, you don't know. If someone is waving a knife around I'm not about to ask how sharp it is. I've been all through the gun BS on this site and they contend that if someone is going to kill someone and they don't have a gun it's no problem. They would just use another tool, like a knife. You can't have it both ways. either a knife is a dangerous tool or it isn't.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Wow... Crazy story here...

86 the pizza and get on with your day....

Was the pizza 86 worth the life of that person. Totally crazy.. lol

This whole deal started with pizza, and ended with a person who must have had TONS of issues to get that fired up about pizza.

Nah, I think this is deeper than 86 pizza. I think this person was 1 bad day away from going postal, and the Cops ended her bad day...
edit on 1-6-2013 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

Edit-- 86 is a term used in a kitchen when you are out of said item.. 86 it! We would say in the kitchen.. We are out!
edit on 1-6-2013 by zysin5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Right, you don't know. If someone is waving a knife around I'm not about to ask how sharp it is. I've been all through the gun BS on this site and they contend that if someone is going to kill someone and they don't have a gun it's no problem. They would just use another tool, like a knife. You can't have it both ways. either a knife is a dangerous tool or it isn't.

Like I said. You can be angry if there were no batteries in the stun gun.

edit to add:

People would be angry if the stun gun killed her too........

edit on 1-6-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Their is no excuse to be threatening people with a knife and scissors as both can be used to kill.

Horrible no win story and I wish the alleged suspect didn't cause this situation because multiple lives have been ruined over her poor choice.

Agreed a sad turn of events which could have turned out differently, instead a mother is dead. I to wish the suspect fully understood the severity of the situation. At the same time i can't help but think the officer acted out of hand. Was it really impossible to fire a bullet into the arm, leg, lower torso?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join