It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm In Turkey: "Turkish Spring" Starting?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

I was in that country at that time.

I've read most of what I could find on such events since.

The country WAS on the brink of civil war.

The locals--particularly the older more experienced and wiser ones expected the crack-down.

And it certainly came.

The man in front of the tank . . . it's not CERTAIN what happened to him but the best research seems to indicate that he was hunted down. There's some possibility that he escaped but far from convincing.

I'm glad the OP is wisely fulfilling his job and his commitment to the safety of his tour group and himself.

If he were a lone youth dedicated to sacrificing his life on the altar of idealism, vain glory and futility as a flash in the pan of suicidal idealism--your points might make more sense.

There are times to stand up and be willing to die for what is right.

Doing so foolishly and willy-nilly for no good lasting result is nonsense, imho.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Was skeptical at first, but I checked my trusty news outlets and I guess this things for real. I hope Erdogan does fall, he's about as dictatorial as they come following his purge of the military a while back, and I don't want to hear anymore of this muslim stuff being forced on the people of turkey.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k
reply to post by Sankari

Yes but what is their aim. What do they want to achieve with mass protest, I don't understand. Have they mentioned their demands?
edit on 1/6/13 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

It looks like more of the Occupy madness. Just pick a demand - someone there will be making it.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ayjay47

Wherever john mccain goes, tyranny follows.......

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Tayyip Erdogan belongs to the muslim brotherhood party so naturally he wants more religious influence in turkey and support nato. That is why he gives weapons and other support to muslim brotherhood in syria. he is a nato puppet.

Are you sure about that? Do you have some sources for the claim that Erdogan is a brotherhood member? AFAIK he is a member of HIzmet, AKA a Gulen movement member. They have a different agenda - a neo-Ottoman empire.

The Turks are not really fond of the "Arabs".

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hello from Turkey again..the land of vegetables and sunshine and Greco-Roman ruins.

We are heading to Istanbul tomorrow and staying right in Taksim Square. Should be interesting. You might be wondering why we'd be headed to that area under the current conditions, but it is hard to find reservations for a group as everyone has been moved.

Secondly, the tour company says it is safe to stay there now as the demonstrations have moved to the stadium.

We'll see how it goes.

I am in the lovely town of Bursa today and it is quiet here.

Tomorrow we take the ferry from here to Istanbul.

I am exhausted at this point, and wondering how the next few days will play out.

What's the word about the demonstrations?

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Originally posted by Blahable
Muslims being violent...anything new? Get in line behind Syria.

Everyone Move on...everyone ignore it.The world has learned it's lesson in Libya and Egypt.
edit on 2-6-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

The most stupid comment I've read in this thread..
edit on 2-6-2013 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

Your opinion is irrelevant.

edit on 3-6-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
In Turkish chat rooms, everyone is talking about the NWO---the families that run the world. People from other countries are saying that this is the WORLD'S problem...not just Turkey's. That we all have to unite and take the world back.

I sense this is becoming more than an isolated Turkish incident. I hear they are protesting in cities around the US, including Nashville, Boston and other cities.

This is becoming something much, much greater in meaning. It's about taking our world back.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I am staying in Taksim Square tomorrow until Saturday and will keep you posted.

2nd line

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

This was Izmir yesterday. I do not know why you guys are staying in your hotel. They are having a big party. Seriously go out and have some fun..! I would...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
I hear they are protesting in cities around the US, including Nashville, Boston and other cities.

This is becoming something much, much greater in meaning. It's about taking our world back.

Where did you hear this? I haven't heard much about protests here, other than some organized protests against Monsanto.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Turks are closing their bank accounts and withdrawing their money from banks owned by the mainstream media bosses which blacked out mass protests against the government. Garanti Bank lost 13% of its share price.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Not much on protests going on in the US.

The US is not in revolt, so you can relax on that one.
The hype of the situation is spreading to the chatrooms there is sounds like, but no, not a lot of protests here.
In fact, I have not heard of any so if there is, they are probably pretty small and isolated with maybe a few people here and there

NOTE----All Americans are advised to stay away from protests in Turkey.

This just came out on CNN as I was typing this.
Be careful!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The Advisory or part of it:

June 3, 2013
The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that public demonstrations are taking place throughout Turkey at varying times and with little notice. Violent altercations have occurred in Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir, Adana, Mersin, and elsewhere. The continuing protests in Istanbul are centered on the Taksim and Besiktas areas, but others may occur elsewhere in the city as well. The Turkish National Police are clashing with protestors in some locations, and there have been numerous reports of injuries. Individuals caught in the vicinity of violence have been injured and detained.

Visa services for non-U.S. citizens may be disrupted with little to no notice in the coming days. At least one labor union of public workers (KESK) has announced a planned strike for 1 ½ work days beginning at 12:00 noon on June 4. Please check our Embassy and Consulate websites for further details. U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Turkey should be alert to the potential for violence. We strongly urge U.S. citizens to avoid demonstrations and large gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.

The full advisory is here:
Emergency Message for US Citizens

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I guess I should be glad I am not in that situation, cause if a cop ever did that to me I would be going to jail or dead - cause I wouldn't be putting up with that at all.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
In Taksim Square tonight at a hotel--right in the middle of the action.

It's loud, but police have eased up the past two days, allowing the demonstrations here. They reappear in other places in the city and in the country. In Ankara, a young man was killed last night.

When we arrived today, there were burned out cars, road blocks, people walking around with Anonymous masks on and a concert going on in the square.

When the sun set, the crowds grew larger. There is chanting, clapping and whistling as the night wears on.

I guess this is the sound of liberty---yearning to be heard.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari

Originally posted by TheAnarchist

Originally posted by Sankari

Originally posted by MRuss
Leading a group here.

What group are you leading?

What are you protesting about?

What do you want the government to do about it?

What do you hope to achieve?

More than you, apparently.

That wouldn't be difficult: I'm not trying to achieve anything in Istanbul.

No one with your mentality is trying to achieve anything anywhere. Which would almost be cause for concern if it weren't for the fact that the Revolution (if it ever comes) will ultimately be led by revolutionary minds from anywhere - not cynical pessimists from Instanbul. So carry on, brother. Don't mind me (or anyone else for that matter). It's your right to live like that, and it's not my place to judge your attitude just because I disagree with it. We all see things differently, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Turkish Government apoligised to protestors this afternoon .

Cat is out of the bag nevertheless .

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
More Updates on Turkish - Spring

Turkish trade unions join protests against PM Erdogan

Reuters

Turkish trade unionists banging drums and trailing banners marched into an Istanbul square on Wednesday, joining unprecedented protests against Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan over what they see as his authoritarian rule

'Woman In Red' Becomes Iconic Image For Turkey Activists

HuffingtonPost

Perhaps the most iconic picture yet taken of the uprising in Turkey, the image of “the woman in red” shows Ceyda Sungur, an academic at Istanbul’s university, stood defiantly in Taksim Square, centre of the uprising that has swept across the capital and beyond in recent days.

She is one of the so-called “extremists” who Prime Minister Erdogan and his government are blaming for the demonstrations.

Turkey Is Now Arresting Dozens for Using Twitter

AtlanticWire

Freedom of speech is not high on the shifting priorities list of Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan. And after he chastised "every kind of lie on" Twitter — and blamed almost everything else but his government for the outbreak of violence across his country — at least 25 people have been arrested this week for messages of protest, perhaps centered on a few videos or one photo, that they've posted on the social network

edit on 5-6-2013 by CosmicQuest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Turkey clashes: New Istanbul rally ahead of PM's return

BBC

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has described some of the protesters as "extremists"

Thousands of Turkish anti-government protesters are gathering in Istanbul's Taksim Square, ahead of the return of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan from a North African tour.
They are calling for his resignation, correspondents in the square say.

Earlier, Mr Erdogan vowed to press ahead with controversial plans to redevelop a park in Istanbul.

A local environmental protest against the proposal spiralled into nationwide political unrest seven days ago.

The original sit-in at Gezi Park mushroomed after police cracked down on activists defending the green space near Istanbul's Taksim Square from developers.

For days, demonstrators in Istanbul, Ankara and other cities have been calling for the three-term prime minister to quit.

This is the equivalent of building a shopping center in the middle of central park.
Com to think of it, Billionaire Bloomberg is also serving his third term.

Clearly the PM is not listen to the voice of the people, good thing he just came back from a trip to the White House last month.
edit on 6-6-2013 by whatzshaken because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join