It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto gives up fight for GM plants in Europe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

www.dw.de

The world's largest producer of seeds, Monsanto, has apparently given up on attempts to spread its genetically modified plant varieties in Europe. A German media report said the firm would end all lobbying for approval.
The German newspaper "taz" reported Friday that US agriculture behemoth Monsanto had dropped any plans to have farmers grow its genetically modified (GM) plant varieties in Europe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ir-d.dk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Stars align in protest against food giant Monsanto over GMO crops!
A Short Video about the MAY 25, 2013 PROTEST of GMO!
GMOs Quietly Pushed For Commercial Growing in The UK

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Could be true? At least it's official! The decision was taken quietly last year. After the three other big players in the business, BASF, Bayer and Sygenta drastically reduced efforts to sell GMO's in most countries in Europe, Monsanto's official announcement to withdraw from the european market just came last week.

Company spokesman Brandon Mitchener had this to say:

”In Europe Monsanto only sells GM corn in three countries. GM corn represents less than 1% of the EU’s corn cultivation by land area. Field trials are only in progress in three countries. We will not spend any more money to convince people to plant them.”

Oh yeah! ...its all i can say.
Now America, it's your turn.

www.dw.de
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Good news if true but I still wouldn't trust the people behind Monsanto, a new tactic may be in the works

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by talklikeapirat

Now...if only the United States would follow Europe's example. I know...you may say to me...dream on.

Is there anyone on here that believes GM crops are good food sources? And if you do...why?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by talklikeapirat

Someone pinch me. Could this really be? Although once bitten...

So what is keeping us from doing the same here? US congress? We've a lot of work to do in North America.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Alright! Good for them, and thanks for sharing!

Now... on to the United-States and Canada!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Now you just need to stop them feeding GM feed to your livestock
Recently all but one of the UK's major supermarket chains admited that their poultry is fed GM corn as non GM has become too expensive .............and hard to find

Keep pushing back folks

edit on 31-5-2013 by Neocrusader because: Auto

edit on 31-5-2013 by Neocrusader because: Auto correct

+2 more 
posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's just fantastic !

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Now...if only the United States would follow Europe's example. I know...you may say to me...dream on.

Is there anyone on here that believes GM crops are good food sources? And if you do...why?

Me *Raises Hand* while I would perfer not to eat GM crops, as the environment changes, it may be the only way for us to survive as a species without mass dieoffs.

That is how I see our future, that is why I think USA is allowing it.. IT's our only hope long term.
I'm super anti- gmo, i just believe their may be a logically reason behind it we don't know.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I really would love to believe this but a better tittle would be "Monsato gives up fight for GM plants in EU for now"...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You know the ole saying.... "Money Talks.... Bull# Walks"

When the rest of the world bans imports of US grain and corn then maybe this brain dead fascist country will wise up and stop madsanto.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I should move to Europe, this country is not looking out for it's people at all. Maybe they will allow me to move to Finland where my grandfather came from. Why fight Monsanto when Monsanto owns all the things we can fight them with.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Good for the EU in this case,but the evils are attempting a new hit in the UK.
We need to stop this through whatever peaceable means possible.
The UK must not become the new plaything of monsatan.
Only in the last week this is happening:

but now the Prime Minister’s personal scientific adviser; Sir Mark Walport and others are pushing an agenda to allow GM crops from Biotech firms such as Monsanto to be grown for commercial use.

banoosh.com...

This is now in the UK,May 2013.
I oppose this.

edit on 31/5/2013 by Silcone Synapse because: edit pic

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is HUGE GOOD news, however the fight must continue on.

They're still pushing for UK, South America, Africa, Australia, Canada, they're hiring blackwater to spy on anti-gmo ralley's and organizations, they're still lobbying the US Gov, Still spraying poisons that seep into the ground water and air all across the U.S.

We still have a TON of work to do against these Satanic Baby Killing(with gmo and pesticides) and Woman Raping(sterilizing with poisons) company.

I also fear they may change their name to a different shell company and use that to keep going.

We GOTTA KEEP FIGHTING

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AkhenatenII

No, they will expand their efforts here to make up for the loss in revenue.

I think we can already see this happening, yes?
edit on 31-5-2013 by KyrieEleison because: clarify

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Beware the man behind the curtain.

Just because they say they won't continue lobbying doesn't mean they won't give up trying to slip their seeds under the net.

Let's remain vigilante for their next move folks.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Good news. I didn't hear about this.

But sadly, I do think it's as others have been saying. "Loses fight for now" is probably more accurate.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaedur

Originally posted by caladonea

Me *Raises Hand* while I would perfer not to eat GM crops, as the environment changes, it may be the only way for us to survive as a species without mass dieoffs.

That is how I see our future, that is why I think USA is allowing it.. IT's our only hope long term.
I'm super anti- gmo, i just believe their may be a logically reason behind it we don't know.

The technology could do a lot of good when used responsibly and with common sense and long term thinking. But Monsanto is exactly the opposite in my view and making every attempt to hide their mistakes and lie to the public and have not care if they someday destroy ous all as long as they make money now. Greed and short sightedness is somewhat suicidal to the whole humanity.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I gotta get me some of that European GMO free corn!

F! Monsanto.

bug

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
In 1994, the first genetically modified seeds were planted in the United States for commercial use. (Calgene's Flavr Savr tomato)
In 2009, genetically modified crops were grown on 134 million hectares (517,000 sq miles) worldwide.
77 per cent of world production is achieved with GM soy and this figure is 49 per cent in the case of cotton.
For US soya and sugar beet, in 2009 genetically modified varieties represented over 90% of the total.
As of 2013, roughly 85% of corn (maize), 91% of soybeans, and 88% of cotton produced in the United States are genetically modified.
ref
More than two thirds of the world's maize crop is used as animal feed (corn gluten, silage).

In the early 1990s, recombinant chymosin was approved for use in several countries, replacing rennet in cheese-making.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join