It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has been the greatest lie ever told to humanity?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

The greatest lie ever told to me as a child was, Santa Claus is real.

The greatest lie ever told to me as a young adolescent was, money doesn't grow on trees, you have to earn it. Yet our gov't and banks just print it or takes it by force.

The greatest lie ever told to me as a college student was, you need a degree to make an honest living and it will provide you with job stability.

The greatest lie ever told to me as an adult citizen of the U.S.A. was and still is, that taxes are necessary for a functioning society.

All that said, the greatest lie ever told to humanity, in my opinion, is not so much a direct lie, rather, a complex web of sins of omission, "white lies" that need to be told to keep order. The biggest of all, "that all men are created equal". I mean seriously, someone born with a genetic disorder, mental condition, or just born into the wrong environment, is on equal footing and has the same opportunities as everyone else? No, they got the shaft. In order for all men to be equal, the haves must give the have nots what they need: food, shelter, clothing, money, education, jobs, medicine, surgery, organs,... and hope, love, direction, discipline, laws. We must raise humanity up, and we should, but the idea that all men were created equal is a farce. You get what you get and you have to do the best with it you can, and help people when you can, how you can. I am sick of Utopian idealists who are putting the cart before the horse. We as humanity must change things, and we can, through science and morals. But it is not enough to say it, identify the problems and solutions, we all must do it, and do it like an involuntary muscle contraction, without direct thought, it just gets done.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
being told we have free will, yeah, right. always under pressure at school collage work home bank 'friends'.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
the biggest lie....i would say everything thats been told to us. i have many reason to believe this. for example, lets go with the subject history in school. everything in them history books happened before our time so how do we know they are true, what if different thangs happened, an they tell us what they want us to believe. just like when "America" was fighting for its freedom from the red coats. was any of us there to actually know what really happened? no we are TOLD what supposely happened. i can go on forever with examples. so therefore i believe everything told to us is a lie.

THANKS...D

p.s. hope y'all can make sense of what im saying. these thangs come out better in my head.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
"I'm just gonna stick the tip in"

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

According to the F books of History, the greatest lie that people believe is World War 2

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Tlexlapoca

How so?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

hope to not look like a dumb monkey lol, but is there a link to this i can read up on it......i never knew this.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dman456

I didnt know this either until a last year, a member on ATS made a thread about it but he was banned, and of course the questions arose as to why he was banned??
my point is that i assume i will be banned aswell if i start handing out links

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
All the lies I would have posted were taken. Great thread. You can add checkmarks to the tally's for the following lies for me:

1. God
2. Our Origins
3. You can get rich if you work hard enough...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

well no need to get banned for me being curious. but him getting banned would make some kind of sense about a video on youtube about ATS....but im stop right there due to me not wanting to get banned for it..........

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The bible .
Most of it was written decades ,if not hundreds of years after the death of Christ .
Most stories are changed and mutate as they are handed down.
Word of mouth and gossip ,change from one week to the next,from person to person .
Imagine over decades .

My position has been ,for years,that most of the bible is gossip ,changed numerous times over years.
Some basic points of the story might be true ,but its mostly just a book of fiction .

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

The biggest lie is the things flying in our skies, and the lack of information disclosed about them by the ones who know. Whether terrestrial or alien in origin, there are so many people who have experienced seeing a UFO that it's is crazy we don't know more about them.

I just made a thread about airship sightings reported to UFO databases. Have a look: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Substantial equivalence.

Look it up this may kill more people then even war.
This is the Monsanto argument that GE foods are the same as natural food - and require no testing.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The biggest lie is the world peace is possible. Also anything relating to the concept of god and religion.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

What do you think is the greatest lie ever told to humanity?
What exactly do you mean by 'greatest'?

What makes a lie so great? Is this greatness based upon the amount of people who believe it? or how often it is repeated? or how long it has withstood the test of time?

Could the greatest lie possibly be the lie that is so ridiculously absurd, that it's nearly impossible to believe that anyone ever actually believed that nonsense? or could it be the lie that seems to be the most absurd, yet eventually turns out to be the absolute truth?

Maybe the greatest lie is the lie that is the most necessary, because the truth would lead to catastrophic results?

I wonder if it would make a difference whether or not the originator of the lie actually knew it was a lie. It's always much easier to convince others into believing a lie, if you too believe it to be true....

Most likely, the greatest lie is the lie that no one knows.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The biggest lie ever told to mankind is the Big Bang Theory

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
IMHO the biggest lie believed by humanity is that there are different "races".

There is only one race, and that is the human race.

DC

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Santa Claus, it might be fun and we tell ourselves it Is ok for us to tell this lie because it is fun.; however, this is the thing that teaches you ( from the very begaining) that it is ok to lie.

So now parents can lie, governments can lie, and we are teaching kids from a very young age that it is ok to do this (oh because it is fun) It's a perpetual cycle. Our kids will lie to their children, and tell them that this is ok.

Because if we don't do this lying than we are a Scrooge, and who wants to get that label

edit on 30-5-2013 by StarsInDust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

What do you think is the greatest lie ever told to humanity?

Have had to give a lot of thought to this one and, in the end, it comes down to a single lie told by religion and science every single day: We know as much as we think we do.

In my opinion, both know full well that they don't because both have had to constantly rewrite the lie to keep it in step with what is learned. And while both know fully that this will change again and again as time passes, it is still told.

Over 500 years ago, the world was flat and the Earth was the center of the universe.

Just over a century ago, powered, heavier-than-air flight was impossible.

Lies were told... and today, they have changed but... in another century or two?

The lie is that we 'know' what we don't.

Thanks

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

Substantial equivalence.

Look it up this may kill more people then even war.
This is the Monsanto argument that GE foods are the same as natural food - and require no testing.

Yes this ones also would have to make the short list. The arguments used to sell things to the populus as GE food and Carbon taxes are based on loosely validated data and are the laws are framed around them to suit the the global interests of those already wealthy and with their hands on all the corntrols and levers of society.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join