It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has been the greatest lie ever told to humanity?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Originally posted by runetang

The biggest lie ever told to mankind is the Big Bang Theory
That's not really a lie. After all, it is just a theory.(and one of many)

I'm not completely disagreeing with you though. Something I've been noticing for awhile now, and that seems to continue becoming more and more common, is that many people no longer call it a 'Theory'.

Nowadays, it seems like every time I hear it(aside from the TV Show), it is people saying, "after the Big Bang", or "during the Big Bang", or "since the Big Bang" etc...

It just seems like many people do refer to it as if it is a fact, which it most definitely is not. I still wouldn't necessarily call it a lie, but it very well may turn into one.

reply to post by redoubt

Originally posted by redoubt

Have had to give a lot of thought to this one and, in the end, it comes down to a single lie told by religion and science every single day: [color=FFEA80]We know as much as we think we do.
My interpretation of that↑, is basically the same thing as what you're saying here↓.

Originally posted by redoubt

In my opinion, both know full well that they don't because both have had to constantly rewrite the lie to keep it in step with what is learned. And while both know fully that this will change again and again as time passes, it is still told.

The way I look at it, '[color=FFEA80]We know as much as we think we do', basically means that what we know tomorrow may differ from what we think we know today.

When tomorrow comes, we may realize that we were wrong about what we thought we knew today.

[color=898989](Right now, I think that↑ makes sense, but ya never know, I may reread it again tomorrow and realize that it doesn't)

edit on 5/30/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by Midnight4444
Honest answer...the belief in an afterlife.

Maybe, it is the belief that life ends - Jesus said life is eternal - if life is eternal then there is no 'after'.

I believe that we as a species, and Earth life, are all connected.
Life is eternal, and an afterlife does exist, right after I die and recycle my goods back to nature.

The biggest lie we are told ?

Santa... ?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
All of history is a lie including human history, prehuman history, religion, astronomical and physics 'knowledge'.

It's all based on either the vanity of the victor, fireside tales, millennia of gossip, the limited data gleaned from bones, pot shards and fossils, our obvious inability to see back in time forever as restricted by how many light years of photons have so far arrived to our retinas with precious few 'eyes' watching, and the incredibly slow moving 'science' of physics, etc; all compounded by the human tendency to refuse to relinquish outdated theories and dogma printed in dusty tomes even when confronted with new evidence.

In short, it's all a lie.

Oh, and I have proof that we survive death. YMMV. Sorry I can't prove it to the masses, but it's given me some weird nights. I'm unsure it's a good thing. I'm not sure that I want to deal with this mess forever and ever and my hope is that this is purgatory and I get a better assignment next time around.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I knew someone would play the God card.

As for me? My opinion?

I think the greatest lies told to humanity come from humanity.

We save and destroy ourselves in an uncountable amount of ways.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Santa... ?

Im not sure if he can take the trophy for the biggest lie, but he certainly may win it for the biggest belt size.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

Have you quantified/personified the LIAR; is it God, Satan, Humanity itself or just for fun PUZZLEdome; shucks and Chuckles as usual, just dont get it do you? You were born here to figure all of this out, your past life dramas tricky in that YOU DO NOT REALISE IT. You 'forgetted" your plan as a rebirth again (tiresome). No Foul, no lie, just because you forgot your mission is no ones fault but your own (soul progession). No lie, as you agreed to it. What happenned perhaps is the white lie; "when you reincarnate you will not REMEMBER ANYTHING said within the death schools" and have to reconfigure all of your lives into one, pass muster and move on. No lie as far as promises made--thats up to you. You lie to yourself, no one else is to blame.

edit on 30-5-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

What do you think is the greatest lie ever told to humanity?
Without any real inspection, we naively assume and endlessly perpetuate the lie to ourselves and to everyone else, that we are the body-mind, separate from all others and the world - and on the basis of this fundamental lie, mankind further fabricated that some Great Separate Other (usually called the Creator God) made all of this.

edit on 5/30/2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Santa... ?

Im not sure if he can take the trophy for the biggest lie, but he certainly may win it for the biggest belt size.

You have to give that one to Coca-Cola for epitimizing an image in the 20's holding a coke bottle.. German, Bavaria, St. Nicklaus, OriginalLY PoliSH, during the time of Christmas, not Santa, but the celebration of a Non Santa in the month of Dec. became St. Francis. Santa Clause, Saint Joseph.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

No one lied to you.
You only ever fool yourself.
Oneness is playing hide and seek - there is no one to blame - it the game

Its a big game no blamegame to be played, its you up to your good playership of it. I say good luck to all, because it is a game played for keeps (your soul progression).

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bb23108

What do you think is the greatest lie ever told to humanity?
Without any real inspection, we naively assume and endlessly perpetuate the lie to ourselves and to everyone else, that we are the body-mind, separate from all others and the world - and on the basis of this fundamental lie, mankind further fabricated that some Great Separate Other (usually called the Creator God) made all of this.

And whom is IT dragging along with it in its insanity? US without specific explainations. Just a "TRUST ME HERE". You create me in 3d I created you as an ideaform. It will all work out. Did we fabricate a false God to excuse ourselves from culpability, or is it the other way round?
edit on 30-5-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

The ego is a "genius" when it comes to blaming others and then feeling justifiably betrayed and separate. This is the emotion and motive at the root of egoity - separation from others and feeling betrayed: Narcissus at the pond staring at his own reflection, thinking it is his greatest love.

And to be able to blame a fabricated Creator-God Idea is one of the ego's greatest works!

edit on 5/31/2013 by bb23108 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bb23108
reply to post by vethumanbeing

The ego is a "genius" when it comes to blaming others and then feeling justifiably betrayed and separate. This is the emotion and motive at the root of egoity - separation from others and feeling betrayed: Narcissus at the pond staring at his own reflection, thinking it is his greatest love.

And to be able to blame a fabricated Creator-God Idea is one of the ego's greatest works!

I know its one of our most fabulous thought mechanisms (to keep us from killing ourselves in frustration). We can justify JUST about everything without moral componant, be completely narcisistic, LOVING MEE MEE, while disjointedly drowning my victim (could be God form as myself; maybe throwing a lifering buoy; saving me from me) and feeling no betrayal (but second guessing another outcome). I created God and It is me. Pretty sure others have also done this, WHOA there are going to be some potencial feudal Wars here, hey, my God is ill-defined as yet not Saxon not Norman; Give Me A Minute for some needed planning in the destruction of both, no proof as it WENT POOF.
edit on 31-5-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Greatest lie ever told to humanity? Hmmmmmm.....how about EVERYTHING?!
Especially, the "God doesn't exist" lie. Or maybe, that the "Devil" is a red cartoon character, with a pointy tail and pitch fork lie.
But, then again, we could go Santa Clause or Easter Bunny?
Ok, will you settle for "fire melts steel"? 2 planes, 3 buildings?
Cave dwellers that were smarter than all of the U.S.'s Armed Forces???

edit on 31-5-2013 by WonderBoi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
That God needs money? (or just the hucksters that make money off of sheeple) That killing in the name of religion is a good thing? (best way to get to heaven! ) Listening to others that tell you to go to war while they don't, but they get rich and famous? (I ain't no Senator's Son (Credence Clearwater Revival)) Government Of the People, By the People, and For the People (rather than the wealthy elites and corporations that pay for the elections and campaigns) THERE'S NOTHING OUT THERE?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

That this is all an accident/luck.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The greatest lie ever told to humanity is that we have a creator outside of ourselves and that we must follow that creator outside of ourselves.

We may well indeed have a "God" ( I leave that open as a possibility as all things are possible in spirit ) outside of ourselves, however, that creator is also within ourselves, as we are a part of the creator. When one soul searches, and looks within and finds that spark of the creator, they realize they have been lied to,or rather mislead, and then they understand that there is a lot more than what we are lead to believe about ourselves and our role in the universe by other men who want nothing more than to control your money and your entire spiritual and physical being through fear and damnation.

That is just my opinion.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
That would be: "have a seat, will be right with you"

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Greatest lie ever? Hmmm hands down "Wealth makes you powerful" we have been failing on that idea for thousands of years.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

The lies told in organized religion .... that their particular religion is the only one that is correct and everyone else are wrong and going to hell or that God wants the 'unbelievers' dead.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The lies told in organized religion .... that their particular religion is the only one that is correct and everyone else are wrong and going to hell or that God wants the 'unbelievers' dead.

FlyersFan good to hear your thoughts. I completely agree with this one and would have it in the top of the list of greatest lies told to humankind. How many fights and wars have broken out from stubborn belief to a religion. I cant see this trend ending for a long time yet.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join