It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has been the greatest lie ever told to humanity?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
reply to post by AthlonSavage

The biggest lie is that we are told (by many) that we need god.

right there-better yet-the lie that there "is" one.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
reply to post by CJCrawley

Because we are alive now by no means logically points to there being another life for us once our physical body ceases to function. That is a leap of faith, not logic...

It's not irrational to conjecture that there might be an afterlife.

You might not believe in an afterlife, and that's fine.

But it's not irrational to ask the question, that's my point.

So it isn't a "delusion".

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I am aware of your Socratic Irony. It would require a book to explain, and only a sentence for you to disregard it.

edit on 30-5-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

The Socratic Method would find out if it needs disregarding. Truth has nothing to do with me.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

If humanity is ever to be free then it must be told the truth because without knowing the truth it will never root out the lies. Lies the greastest threat to reason and the quest for humanities freedom.

What has been the greatest lie ever told to humanity? Will we ever know?

What do you think is the greatest lie ever told to humanity?
The greatest lie ever told used to be that the earth was flat, then it was exposed. Today we are told that the earth is not flat, but filled with molten metal, or some such nonsense.

I believe the greatest lie today, is that the earth is solid, devoid of life.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The biggest lie to me is we need government to run the people because the people can't run themselves!

Throw money in the mix and paying taxes to said biggest lie, *poof* you have society as it is today!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

The biggest lie is that we are told (by many) that we need god.

How is this a lie when you can't prove it false?

Same with all of you non religious people posting on the first page?

How can it be a lie? You have no proof to back said "lie" up!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I think the biggest lie humans have been told is about Love. It does not last forever, it does not feed or clothe or make you well, and no matter how much sacrifice you make, Love does not come back to you. Its companion, Greed, is much more the truth of the human heart. You should prepare your children for that truth.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

So, I should tell my children that I won't love them forever?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
reply to post by MOMof3

So, I should tell my children that I won't love them forever?

Yes, and according to the above poster, you should tell your children to hate everyone and everything!!

Just remember, love doesn't feed or clothe them!!

Sorry about your terrible experiences, but love is a great thing!!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
ww2 the creation of israel and the new world order

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

Yes. It is more possible than you think. And they should know that. For example, I don't know how you can love a Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MOMof3
I think the biggest lie humans have been told is about Love. It does not last forever, it does not feed or clothe or make you well, and no matter how much sacrifice you make, Love does not come back to you. Its companion, Greed, is much more the truth of the human heart. You should prepare your children for that truth.

If you want to view the emotion we call 'love' broadly as some metaphysical concept, I can understand why you're disappointed. However, when you see it for what it is, a necessary and natural process of our bodies and minds that serves evolutionary/survival/social functions, it becomes easier to understand, and the spiritual woo isn't needed anymore. As for greed - the way you worded your statement will leave you open to a lot of vitriol, but there is much more truth in your statement than many are going to give you credit for. It's always interesting to me that humans would rather believe in fantasies about themselves than to hear truths. It reminds me of Freud and how people resisted the idea that we are influenced by unconscious, animal instinctual behavior.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Yes, and according to the above poster, you should tell your children to hate everyone and everything!!

Exaggerate much? They said no such thing, you just misunderstood.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jheherrin

I think you said what I wanted to say, but much more eloquently and intelligently. It is true, I have never seen love as part of evolution survival. But most of us are taught from birth that love just happens. Like it is an entity of its own, like a god. That is the lie I have figured out recently about love.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Greatest lie ever told to humanity?

War

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I was about to agree with that one who said the lie is "that we need god", but found there was something missing.

The lie is broader and bigger than that:

The lie is that we, as humans, ALWAYS would need someone in power to control us, to tell us what to do and that we cannot live and sustain without "anyone in power" God, Jesus, Cult Leaders, Priests, Politicians, Dictators

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Many people claim the greatest lie is that people are different. This is not a lie. How anyone could conceive this as a lie is beyond me.

While humans might not be so much "different" than any other species, the individual is something that can not and will not be denied. It is not something that just appeared because some person said it should exist, it is something that always existed. It is what has created outcasts, new civilizations, new technology, new beliefs, and new hope for certain manners of human existence.

But the case exists that even animals are individuals. They make choices. They decide on what to do and how to do it. Animals, like all humans, can learn, can be taught, and can break away from teachings or instincts on their own if they so choose to do so. To say that any of us are equal in all forms to say, Albert Einstein, Adolf Hitler, Jeffrey Dahmer, Martin Luther King Jr., or several of the thousand other truly unique and inspirational humans that have SEPARATED from the pack - that is the outright lie.

It doesn't take a genius to see the existence of the individual in all things. Pack mentalities are limited to very few species. We are separated by those species by the existence of "higher thought", for not only can humans decide how to act to events, but we can question WHY and we can derive theories and, in some cases, lies in order to answer those questions.

The biggest lie told to mankind has to do with everything I said. It is the lie that people have been telling those below them for years and those beneath them believe it, generally without question.

You are free.

We are all free.

In reality we are all slaves; slaves to laws both natural and man made. Slaves to the wills of other based upon their choices not ours. We as humans are not allowed to exercise the individual, for when we do we are told that it is wrong. That is why when individualism shines it is in such extreme cases as the individuals I listed above. Only the people who have forcefully pushed ahead with their individualism have truly been free, for they ignored all rules write by fellow man that seek to kill the individual.

It is because of those men, the individuals, the innovators, that we are able to sit here and talk today, rationally, wirelessly, aimlessly - following all the rules set in place simply because we are told to do so. It is their failure to follow the rules that have created human society, and if not for the individual, we would still be in tribes and killing any who chose to be different.

The greatest lie is that we are all free... when in reality we are slaves to our own creations.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfin4
ww2 the creation of israel and the new world order

I don't think that NWO is a lie.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The greatest LIE(S) ever told are about our origins and *why* people got aboard the first boats coming to North America.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The greatest lie was perpetrated on the German people as payback for WWII... we told them that David Hasselhoff is awesome...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join