It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever had a strange experience with a Ouija board?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I tried a Ouija board for the first time a couple nights ago. There were four of us playing (ages 30-55) and it honestly seemed like the planchette moved independent of the group. However, it only spelled gibberish and we gave up after about 20 minutes. I do trust the others playing to not have consciously moved the planchette, but we were all a little tipsy at the time - so who knows.

I'm just curious what people's experiences have been - whether bad, good, weird, accurate, completely wrong or simply nothing at all.

Thanks!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
i done it when i was about sixteen and it moved about,plus the glass did flip(yeah we used a glass) and break but like i,ve read about i just believe that subconsciously even tho no1 said they were pushing it thats exactly what happened.i really don,t believe that it was anything paranormal.
edit on 2011 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjola

Haven't touched a Ouija for many, many years because of what happened the very last time I had dealings with one. There were three of us, lights on, no spooky atmosphere or anything (my current hubby one of them) back in early 1991. We each had a hand lightly touching the planchette and started asking mostly silly questions, to which we got answers. Suddenly the planchette started circling around the board wildly and then slowly lifted up! We rose with it (no hands or fingers under it at all) and it led us around the room in a seemingly random pattern. It then led us back to the board and softly landed, then started to spell words in another language (later determined it was some kind of Aztec language or similar). Then it switched back to English and stated that it wanted my future hubby and my friend to leave the room as it wanted to talk to me and me alone. We all three jerked back our hands and the planchette flew off the board and hit the wall hard, cracking the paneling and also the clear plastic circle on the planchette. We all looked at each other wide eyed and pale, and when my future hubby grabbed my hand with his it was as cold as ice.

The next day I called someone close to me experienced with such situations and she came and got the board to purify it. As far as I know it is still in her storage building sealed in a black bag with various items enclosed with it as I did not want it back and even after purification she did not want it either so she sealed it up as safely as possible. I've never touched a Ouija since.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I have experimented with The Board for over 20 years. I know there's no way anyone can verify what I say, but if you believe anyone, or anything that someone says, please believe me. It's not something to fool with.

My story is a long and interesting one. My ancestors dealt in Black Majik and there seems to be some sort of a curse against one side of my family. So, I took it upon myself to dive in and find out if there really was a curse, how it got there, and how I can get rid of it.

As a kid I was mystified at the stories of some of the things that happened to my Mom and her Mom and their grandparents, etc. For instance, we owned a bakery and one day at work a wall opened up. I know, sounds crazy, but it happened.

My Mom and her Mom were leaning against the counter looking outside and they hear this noise behind them. It sounded like something very heavy sliding along the floor. The wall behind them was made of stone (bottom half) and some other type of material, which was the top half of the wall. Well, when they turned around, the part of the wall that was stone was sliding open --to their right!

Yes, they can actually see inside! It was another world --a dead world. There was dead trees, some were on fire, some weren't. There was also a couple flying creatures flying in the background. The wall remained open for about 30 seconds.

To make a long boring story a short boring story...I should have trusted in God to remove the curse as I found out I could have done so myself through prayer alone, which I did. But, because I experimented with The Board, which is dipped in Black Majik and made by a company that sells games for kids, I jeopardized my future and I'm working off my sins.

But, that's one of Satan's plans --to get the kids, get them while they're young. And for the adults that mess with it is a bonus because adults have no patience, they want answers NOW, so they turn to that thing for answers they shouldn't be seeking, like me. The goal is to break the family --the Trinity.

Since the 1980's, Mom felt the need to go out and get a job because Society made it seem like Motherhood was nothing, so Mom felt the pressure and got a job. Meanwhile, Junior and Junioress are left alone or with people who get paid to watch them. Result: A family broken.

That's what the Ouija Board wants too. My advice is to not experiment with it. Please, don't.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
When I was younger, there was this magical force that would sweep through our elementary, middle and high schools. This force is better known as a "fad".

First it was pencils with designs on them, wash off tattoos, hornets, tamagotchis and pogs.

Then came comics, styles of clothing, shoes, backpacks, colored contact lenses and oh yes...the infamous Ouija Board!

Hasbro must have made a deal with the devil to keep profits up.

The Ouija board, also known as a spirit board or talking board, is a flat board marked with the letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0-9, the words "yes", "no", "hello" (occasionally), and "goodbye", along with various symbols and graphics. It is a registered trademark of Hasbro Inc., which markets and distributes the Ouija Board as part of its line of board games. It uses a planchette (small heart-shaped piece of wood) or movable indicator to indicate the spirit's message by spelling it out on the board during a séance. Participants place their fingers on the planchette and it is moved about the board to spell out words. It has become a trademark that is often used generically to refer to any talking board.

The funny thing about my story was at the time it was sweeping through school, I decided to get one and use it with a close friend. We had heard all these weird stories of people's experiences, and at a young age even a well told ghost story can still give you the willies.

Long story short, we lit a bunch of candles and used it. I probably believed it was working more than I would now, but even then I still wasn't sure. The kicker is the very next morning when I woke up, I was sicker than a dog. And instead of thinking it was something that I ate or drank, I instantly thought of that Ouija board and I shuddered as a chill went down my spine. Left a lasting impression even if it was a coincidence.

Oh ya, then came sex, drugs and rock n' roll.
edit on 29-5-2013 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I had a single experience in my late teens.
it of course involved a few of us,beer and jokes.
We asked questions and the glass moved around, jibberish came back.

At some point we gave up moved away from the board.
Around a minute after this the glass shot 6 feet across the room and smashed against a wall.
I am not a believer in an aftterlife,spirits,demons or anyhting that goes bump in the night but,
to this day I have no rational explanation for what happened that night.

I do realise, Its just a silly hasbro game surrounded by myth and hysterical people that cling on
to the hope they will some how survive death.

edit on 29-5-2013 by LordDerpingtonSmythe because: .

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjola

The gibberish can mean something. Sometimes to say a word they will only spell some of it or the base letters of the word. For example 'important' may appear as MPRTNT.

Now, my partner and I did it but instead of the messages coming through the board, while touching the planchette, the messages started coming through my partner.

On this particular night we were addressing the recent meteorites that Earth has seen and experienced and we asked if these were related and the answer received through her was that they were. I then asked when the culmination of this will happen and a number flashed up inside my partners mind. The number....or I can say the Year....2032.

After further research it seems that the transitioning from one Age to the next Age, being the Age of Aquarius, takes 20 years. The transitioning started December 21, 2012 and ends Dec 21, 2032.....

It was an interesting night and my partner was shocked and unsettled from experiencing this form of information coming to her in such a way.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
My daughters played with one in the 80's and got an answer when their bowl of popcorn on another table away from them lifted up and flipped over spilling the contest about. The board went into the trash and is now buried in a landfill in San Antonio TX.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjola

Yeah, I wrote an article on this for the school paper once. I went into a college building that was supposed to be haunted with some friends and wrote an article on it for the school paper. We asked it a whole series of questions, actually. I just assumed it would work, and it did. Everyone else got super freaked out. The campus safety officer who had let us in the building (who was black) got super freaked!

edit on 29-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
The last time I used one when I was about 18, I tried it on my own for the first and only time and it spelt out "Besseys dead" ...Bessey being my surname! :/

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
YES!

I tried to contact my discarnate Life Partner eveshi but the planchette kept sliding back into my lap, pointy thing first!

Not that I cared...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yeah, I've had strange experiences. Then I started doing more research and came to the conclusion that it is more than satisfactorily explained by the ideomotor effect. No links. Research it yourself and deny ignorance.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Last Halloween I covered a local paranormal group's investigation of the city hall and its history for my radio station. We spent the evening in the hall with all manner of scientific and spiritual investigations. My colleague & I took a back seat away from The Board just to observe and record audio. The board was being ran by a professional medium although she never touched it relying on volunteers to keep their fingers on an upturned glass.

She asked a number of questions trying to get in touch with the other realm. All of a sudden my colleague shuddered and whispered to me "Kate".

I was baffled. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know. I'm just hearing Kate... Kate".

A minute or so later the medium asked the spirit 'what is your name?'... the glass spelled "K-8" "K-8".

I've always been a skeptic of Ouija boards believing them to be merely a toy with a constructed history attached. But that night I was certainly chilled. My colleague was spooked for the rest of the evening.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjola

I have one, and I try it every so often. I've never even gotten the planchette to move. I can't even get the Ideomotor Response to work properly, ha ha. So no, I, personally, don't believe a single Ouija Board story, however many people "swear" it really happened. The board is a psychological tool, we trick ourselves into making it work. Penn and Teller, on their show bull# did a great episode covering the Ouija Board. You can find it on Youtube by just searching for "Penn and Teller Ouija Board". It's worth a watch if you've never seen it.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Well, I wish I had a couple campfire stories to tell about my board, but for now I'll share this one.

I got my ouija as a Christmas present about 6 years back - off of ebay. It was an original William Fuld board, back before the copyright was bought out. Like any superstitious owner, I went online and carefully looked up what you were supposed to do, and what you were not.

In my research, I heard several stories about people becoming possessed, boards that would "scream" when they are burnt, boards that would come back if you didn't give it away, permanent hauntings if you didn't say a prayer before closing a session (the list went on & on). The last bit of advice I found was to never, ever challenge a spirit to prove it was present.

Well, I must've been the laughing matter for several of the spirits present (I felt them, in a way), because try as I might, I couldn't get not one spirit to communicate through the board. I broke all the superstitions with the board - Didn't close my sessions, constantly asked for the spirits to prove they were there, played it in the dark or lit by a single candle, and even asked the dreaded challenge of physically proving they were there (if you're detecting a bit of sarcasm by now, continue reading to find the source). I swear I heard laughing while I was making my attempts.

Essentially, it turns out that I had a literal "dead" ouija board - I finally threw it out, and it didn't come back

My theory why it works:
1. The "rules" say two or more people. Well, when you bring two or more people to do the same task, sometimes more energy is about that can create poltergeist-like effects. Throw in a little fear, and you've got the makings for a "working" board.

2. Also, there was a while back a certain collection of horror stories published, one of which was claimed to be cursed called The Dare. A quick glance on youtube shows teens basically "freaking themselves out" by following the instructions in the story. I believe a similar thing is happening when people are using the board, in that their subconscious is "guiding" their hands to a specific letter (my friends would purposely do this, at which point it became more humorous because people actually believed something spiritual moved it).

3. Now, I could be one of the few people where either spirits are bored of me (or making fun of me), but I've never witnessed anyone having the experiences like some of the people out their claim. Then again, I've never ran into BEKs either, and yet they also seem to be common.

-Fossilera

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The last time I used an ouija boar was in Jr High.
A friend of mine and I were talking to a miner named Jack who died when he was kicked by his mule.

It was a strange experience in itself.
He had an awesome story.

Never used one since.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I used one a couple times with a friend of mine. Usually it would move to random letters and basically just give us complete gibberish and nonsense. Then we took it to this local spot that is known to be haunted and where I have had several very strong experiences, including being physically interacted with. The ouija board swore at us, so we put it away and left.

Edit to add: I've always been skeptical of ouija boards, but who knows. Anything's possible.
edit on 30-5-2013 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Firstly, nice thread, haven't seen a good paranormal one in a while.

I've played around with Ouija boards a little, one memorable time was when I was about 16. I was with two other friends at the time and it was Halloween.
We decided to roll a few fatties and go to the nearest cemetery with one we made out of paper, now I don't condone drug use of any kind, but it was something that contributed to the evening so it's worth mentioning.

It was about 8:00pm when we arrived. We walked into the part of the cemetery that 'felt' like it was the most eerie, set the Ouija board down and began.
We started off with the normal "Is anyone there" and "What is your name" questions. There wasn't too much of a response so we decided to ask "How did you die?", the piece of glass we were using began shaking against our fingers, as if it were trying to escape, we all noticed this and pulled our hands away in fear..

As soon as we let go of the glass, we heard a huge snapping sound in the distance, and because of the state of mind we were in, plus the fact that we were using a Ouija Board in a cemetery on Halloween, it scared the utter (favorite curse word here) out of us. We all got up and started running.
We arrived back at the front gate where the entrance is and realized that we didn't grab the Ouija Board we were using and didn't want to leave it there because it could upset someone visiting their deceased relative or friend the next day.

After we all caught our breath and got back in control of our otherwise irrational thoughts, we walked back over to where we left the Ouija board.
Now, at first, we sat it down in the middle of the grass walk way, not wanting to be disrespectful to a persons grave site, but when we returned and found it, it looked like it had been placed perfectly on a grave, with the top of the board sitting evenly against the head of the tombstone and the glass next to it.

We gathered all that we had left there and power walked as fast as we could out of there. I know it was most likely the wind that carried it to the grave, but, it was still pretty terrifying at the time.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe

I have one, and I try it every so often. I've never even gotten the planchette to move. I can't even get the Ideomotor Response to work properly, ha ha. So no, I, personally, don't believe a single Ouija Board story...

You think I purposefully threw the planchette in my lap?

Huh? Well I NEVER...

Darryl Forests

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FunktheNWO
Firstly, nice thread, haven't seen a good paranormal one in a while.

Maybe you haven't looked hard enough.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
S&F to you, OP.

I used a Ouija board one time when I was probably 9 yrs. old. This was AFTER the ghost visited me and never left at age 6.
I used it at my cousin's house. I don't remember anything scary happening, just it answering questions we asked.
We didn't move it, that much I am sure of.

I didn't realize it then, but these things are not toys for children to play with. They open a door to the spirit world that allows all kinds of spirits to enter. You never know which kind will come through. I think that's why some people feel it is harmless, while others have totally terrifying experiences.

Best to leave that door closed!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join