It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Forum Icons? Really? They're All Grey.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
It's your site, I say run it like a Boss! We have no idea what you have to deal with, and for sure you will never please us all. It is big of you to explain. Thanks
We will cope, no worries.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

New Forum Icons? Really? They're All Grey.
Hello my friend,how are you...

I guess it's for eye impact to distinguish better the topics before reading the title.

I mean the brain or better said the neuronal center in the brain first absorb the color and the shape,before the word.

And that is why the brain is processing very fast the shape in a simple color to identify the forum(title) before reading the title.

Oh and with all the colors in the old icons it was hard for such a process to happen,very fast.

This is why the site will speed it self,I guess.

Well if the shape(s) inside the circle were 3D and self rotating in 3D then the speed could be higher.

edit on 23-5-2013 by piequal3because14 because: 3D

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
That's me.

Several issues at play here.

(1) - performance: the new icons use "CSS Sprites" for far-fewer HTTP calls on pages like Recent Posts and the Board Home. As much as 30% of our traffic is now from mobile users, and we're beginning to be cognizant of total bandwidth and http calls.

(2) - file size: color means big files... at least when migrating to CSS Sprites. The new design focuses much more on distinct shapes that are hopefully recognizable, and the larger icon sizes will help in recognition.

(3) - design: these are actually (not the right color-scheme yet) the new logos that have been created to compliment the new HTML5/mobile-ready site under development. So, hopefully, this and other incremental changes will help the new site "feel" familiar once it launches.

SO - If 30% of your traffic is from mobiles, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we have a decent mobile phone app for Android

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
They seem overwhelmingly big, and attract the eye before the eye starts to read the now (in comparison) very tiny print. I seldom looked at icons, they were just there. Now they're THERE and can't be avoided. The Forum section itself is, imnho, very overwhelmed by the size of these things. Won't people on phones and mobiles be overwhelmed as well? Please consider downsizing them as much as possible. Thanks.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

they got rid of the twilight crap
me = happy

enough said lol

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The new Icons are awful and I really think that they should change the icon for the “war on terrorism” forum.

It basically shows a guy with a turban, the last one was a picture of Bin Laden, fair enough, but a guy in a Turban could be interpreted as very offensive with the connotations that go with it on a terrorism forum. I just think for a site that promotes ethnic equality its sending the wrong message.

Also they are all the same colour on BTS what’s the point.

ATS owners, if its not broken, don’t fix it.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Please them forum icons are ugly.

Who made them, can I please send them some tutorials on how to make icons.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I dont care about the icons but whoever just jacked the font sizes up needs to be smacked.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

One suggestion I would make is to maybe have some user-contributed artwork for some of the icons... once you land on standard dimensions, file-size, color, etc, of course. Some of the icons aren't particularly relevant to their corresponding forum at this point and I know there are more than a few folks here that would gladly help create some good ones

I mean, you've got more important things to do than create icon artwork, right?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
New icons? Okay. How about a couple of new skins?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If I could vote, I'd vote for the old icons back.
Maybe in time I'll get used to this 'new look', but currently its a Land of Confusion when it comes to quickly picking out what I want to find.

I about freaked last night when I had a spate of insomnia and could not sort out the forums at a glance, on my phone. For a long moment it looked as if someone had hacked ATS.

Can we have the old icon version for us on our pcs and another for when we are on cells?

M.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I see colors. Must have been added since the OP.

Other than that, I REALY dig the new icons and colors, and I am usually loathe to accept change.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Man, thats just like when someone changes their avatar. It will take me a while to adjust....but I'll get over it...Good job!

Change is good!

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Not all is revealed yet. Relax.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I think the new icons suck.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Sometimes simpler is better.

I'm all for it myself.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I like it, their bigger and clearer.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
I think the new icons suck.

Oh, you've seen the "black hole" icon for the space exploration forum?
It's my favorite, attracts more users.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amandla
I like it, their bigger and clearer.

So do I...but I must say, and no attack on you, I actually read the forum names rather than look for pics.

I guess I'm weird.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
These folks don't look like they're about to chit chat... generally or otherwise

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join