It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Forum Icons? Really? They're All Grey.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Please don't say you're going with a brighter lighter background with black text.

Yes. Here's a screen shot of the current development state for the site home:

Click here for a full sized version. The central content area is optimized for 1280 wide monitors, but scales down to 320 wide, portrait-orientation, smart phones.

You can see how the icons were designed to be dark against light, and look much better.

And before the nay-sayers have a fit, yes, there will be a dark option. However, the layout and design will be optimized for the lighter background, and will be the default unless a users selects dark.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
And before the nay-sayers have a fit, yes, there will be a dark option. However, the layout and design will be optimized for the lighter background, and will be the default unless a users selects dark.

Thank you for this, I Always prefer the dark version over the bright white one, it just looks much better on both PC and iPad. And it's easy on the eyes.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TommyD
Thank you for this, I Always prefer the dark version over the bright white one, it just looks much better on both PC and iPad. And it's easy on the eyes.

A lot of that "dark looks better" preference is changing.

Most modern flat computer displays don't cause the eye-fatique that CRT monitors caused.

Also, for mobile/batter devices, light backgrounds with dimmer screens (to preserve batter) is significantly more readable than dark backgrounds with light text.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Yeah, displays have certainly changed over the years
I am using a iPad right now with the retina screen.. And I'm checking up on ATS right before I go to sleep so I'm already in my bed with only a small light on. And that's why I prefer dark screens

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I prefer the dark background with white print, it's one of the things which make this place look unique. So please make sure the "dark" option is there (thanks). And with a white background this will make the ads and the related flashes and dancing bears stand out more, never a good thing.

Plus putting the larger icons on the main page will both add more confusion and objects to wade through to look at the content. Why not just leave the icons off the main page at least, because people searching for stories they are interested in will not be aided by the icons but will be focused on the story headline itself. My three cents (inflation).
edit on 3-6-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Not true for all devices. Those with AMOLED displays will have better battery performance with a dark background, because it uses no power as the pixel is off when displaying black.

I like the white but it would probably hurt my eyes after a while.

King

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Will there be an option to switch back to the old forum style? I honestly hate these new icons and layout. If there won't be a new option to choose between styles... I just won't be able to visit on my mobile, as it hurts my eyes now (light on dark/dark on light, doesn't matter)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I really like the new look of the site, but as you say I to agree the icons are very gay and cartoonish. I really like the way the tool bar stays at the top when I scroll down that is a cool feature.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by desertguy

I said grey not gay. But cartoonish? Yes, somewhat. But I'm getting used to them.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I see you're Greg Stillson (Martin Sheen) now. Very interesting... and intriguing.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Jed Bartlet.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Best President ever

ETA: Where the heck is the PM icon?

ETA2:

This dude is creepy

edit on 11-9-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Zarniwoop

This dude is creepy

edit on 12-9-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join