It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Plans Massive Biotech Experiment in US

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Your hunger pangs have been brought to you by Monsanto (TM) maker of the Zombie Apocalypse (TM) and End Times (TM) products everywhere.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Poor, poor monsanto, They give the world DDT and we throw it away. How about some Agent Orange? Nope, we don't want that either, saccharin? Na, "get that outa my face" we cry, etc, etc. The list goes on and on and we just throw it back in their faces. Now they come up with GMO and we're just going to throw it back in their faces...Come on people, they can't be wrong all the time right?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
It may look like corn, It may even taste like corn....but it is not corn. What did they genetically cross it with? Crabgrass? Our government worries so much about invasive species yet......a species that they know nothing about longterm is ok. The new inedible weed that will make it so nothing else grows there.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

It seems like everything they make is eventually banned. Does the government think they are going to create anything that isn't going to be banned in the future?

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sphota
reply to post by omega man

They try too hard. They skip steps when they modify genes...they leave out other changes that would happen if it were environmentally appropriate plant adaptation. Corn isn't from just anywhere it's grown today, it's from Mexico. It was - slowly - selected for optimal growth in its new environments...including arid environments like Arizona and New Mexico. Those strains still exist, so why don't we start from there...to hard to get the American consumer to accept corn that isn't yellow?

You know what that just could be it, back in France the populous would rather starve to death then eat the devils root...ie potatoes. And so many did starve to death.

Why splice something to create something which already exists? Well I will not answer my own questions as that is rude. But here a link I found in 5 seconds on corn which can grow in more extreme locales and regions and they did it all by old fashion gene manipulation, breeding select traits instead of splicing and injecting genomes all for patent purposes more so then adaptability purposes.

And it even comes in purple! Always wanted to eat me some purple corn. Wonder if you make popcorn out of it will it be purple to.

ancient corn solution to modern climate

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
hey guys,
in light of this madness, there's a great app out there called Buycott. you can scan your groceries and it will tell you if the product(s) have GMO foods in them. it also shows parent and or other companies that are connected to the GMO foods.check it out. it'll help the process, and you'll be healthier too.

cheers,
zoo

I chose to quote your post in this thread for two reasons. First, I wanted to respond to the thread if for no other reason than to flag & star it so it would stay in the limelight. Secondly, because of the fact that you mentioned this new app called "Buycott," which IMO, has the potential to empower the consumers like never before.

I Thank you zooplancton, for spreading the word!

I wrote a thread about this new "Buycott" app several days ago and if it's going to work, we need to keep spreading the word. My thread can be found here; www.abovetopsecret.com...

To omega man, F&S for the OP! As far as actually getting our politicians to do anything about this, I think I once heard a POTUS say that politicians wouldn't do anything until the people made them do it. So, I guess it's up to us to keep the pressure on.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Nature adapts, or its more better said nature kills the things which do not adapt to its changing whims and seasons. Monsantos whole approach to things are not without there merits, in some cases and places and for some reasons it may be the way to go. However there not necessarily needed in this day and age to any great degree, and there doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Like I said, in my other post. If it ain't broke don't fix it, the kernel is in the corn and there already exists corn which can survive in those type of environments. The ways they go about doing things is clearly about monopolizing and capitalizing on all food sources and confining it to there own narrow scopes to fill there pockets, that and the fact that they don't seem to be thinking things through, I do not think they really know what there doing even at the small scale there thinking and functioning at.

Once you create a super plant, you will in time eventually also create a supper bug, and nothing need be done to achieve that just by the very nature of the super plant existing nature dictates that eventually a super bug is needed, that or they really did not think things through. Its never that "one" thing that you change which you have to worry about, its the whole aspect of it, the whole cycle, if it exists and its embedded in the genetics thorough thousands even millions of years, well chances are that its there for a reason. Like I said nature adapts and finds a way, or a billion ways, or a trillion ways, or, well you get the picture.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It's sad that Monsanto and their shady practices have tarnished bioengineering in the eyes of the general public. We have barely just scratched the surface of what is possible with our newfound understanding of genetics, it would be a shame if we stifled growth out of fear of the unknown.

On the other hand. It's hard to trust a company with so many skeletons in its closet to work in our best interest.

That said check out this Ted talk: www.ted.com...

To see what has already been done ( as of three years ago) and imagine what is possible today.

Whether its Monsanto or another, Bioengineering is here to stay, hopefully we can use it responsibly.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well when they start gene splicing your kids, then you will forget all this "frankenfood" nonsense and worry about that
But seriously, although there is a danger in bioengineering, there are great benefits too. I see a lot of hostility and ignorance in these hate Monsanto posts. When you don't understand something, you tend to fear it. Don't let those late-night sci-fi B movies warp your thinking about science! All they are doing with this new corn project is giving the corn plants the trait of another plant that does well in drought conditions. They are not giving it bulging eyes or pointy teeth. We have done breeding one better, because now we can give a plant a trait of a completely unrelated species, which could never happen in nature. By the way, the seeds of all the original crops before the Green Revolution are preserved in cold storage by our government.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Parthin

My hatred does not stem from fear of the unknown.

It stems from the way they are handling the situation.

They are purposefully gaming the system in their favor with their sights on a monopoly of all biological patent rights. How hard is that to understand?

Not to mention the fact that they are going out of their way to hide their actions and withhold information from a public demanding answers.

In my eyes, they are done. There is no redemption, they need to go.

ETA: No liability too! Forgot that extremely important little piece there.
edit on 24-5-2013 by KyrieEleison because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Monsanto has a facility in Kihei, Maui HI. Kihei is located on the south end of the island and has been for the last couple of years in almost constant drought. You really can't see much of the building(s) or infrastructure located at the site from the highway doing 60mph; think farm with an office building. There is a gate with cameras and next door they are building a new police station. Convienant Huh? Behind the facility is an expanse of scrubland and volcanic rock extending for a couple of miles at the least. This is where I believe they have been experimenting with these drought resistant corn crops.

Last year I happened across a botanist on island and we were discussing GMO and sugarcane when we ventured onto the Monsanto topic. He mentioned that the corn crops they were working on in Kihei and surrounding areas were able to be harvested four times a year. He didn't mention anything about drought resistant but if they were growing in Kihei, it's a given. Having grown up in Indiana watching crops harvested once a year, four times seemed impressive to me. It is however Maui and it makes sense with a year long growing cycle but the drought conditions of the area is why I think this is a test site.

Around the facility there are also beekeeper's tending to hives. Relevant imo.

Corn Ethanol crops for fuel, not consumption?

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parthin
Well when they start gene splicing your kids, then you will forget all this "frankenfood" nonsense and worry about that
But seriously, although there is a danger in bioengineering, there are great benefits too. I see a lot of hostility and ignorance in these hate Monsanto posts. When you don't understand something, you tend to fear it. Don't let those late-night sci-fi B movies warp your thinking about science! All they are doing with this new corn project is giving the corn plants the trait of another plant that does well in drought conditions. They are not giving it bulging eyes or pointy teeth. We have done breeding one better, because now we can give a plant a trait of a completely unrelated species, which could never happen in nature. By the way, the seeds of all the original crops before the Green Revolution are preserved in cold storage by our government.

I have not read any posts which express a fear that Monsanto is creating ears of corn with bulging eyes and pointy teeth, although those who eat that corn may well end up acquiring such traits and thereafter pass those bulgy eyes and pointy teeth down their family tree to all future generations. Curses on great grandpa Larry for having started every day eating a bowl of Monsanto corn flakes, soy nuggets, and shredded wheat!

The "hatred" of Monsanto is bred in large part by its arrogance in conducting a grand experiment upon the public's health and welfare without first having established that its "products" are not harming the environment and the animals and people who consume them. All for the sake of $$$ in the pockets of Monsanto's officers, directors, and shareholders, and lest we forget, its lobbyists and . . . "Improving" on nature through genetic engineering is a nice pipe dream, but at this point in the effort it has not been shown to be an "improvement" to any degree. What good is it to develop a hardy drought-resistant food crop which yields four harvests per year if its nutritional value is grossly impaired and it causes organ damage and failure? Well, other than $$$$ in the pockets of Monsanto's officers, directors, and shareholders, and lest we forget, its lobbyists and . . .

I trust nature far more than I trust any genetically engineered food products. I want the freedom to choose not to eat GMO products rather than having them silently inserted into every possible food product because it is known that labeling will lead to rejection.
edit on 5/24/2013 by dubiousone because: Grammar

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Would this cause genetic mutation in some insects???

Some insects like bees can radically alter their biological makeup by intentionally eating/processing certain foods.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Monsanto will make people soon.
by poisoning You.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Man messing with Mother Nature equals disaster plain and simple. This will not end well for us.

The Sheeple need to wake up and revolt against this type of activity now before it is too late.

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
With all the droughts and wild fires in the U.S. over the last decade or so, it sounds like adding tinder to the firebox.

I wonder how flammable Monsanto GM corn is? Someone should conduct a field test and find out (seriously).

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I've never felt the need to participate in a protest march before, but this one I'm going to, rain or shine.

Saturday, May 25, worldwide March Against Monsanto

250 cities in 36 countries on 6 continents. I encourage you to go too. Find your nearest protest march here: LINK

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

As we see time and again these multinational industrial giants destroying main street through heavy hitting tactics! This seems to be more of the same and will lead to monopolies controlling all industry with most people either in prison or bowing down to these behemoths! We have already seen this happen with media, banking and manufacturing but it now seems that the small farms are about to be just a memory!

When we only have monopolies to shop at we lose our ability to choose! We are stuck with whatever poison
they are selling and we have to face whatever consequences this lack of choices brings us but when it's something we are consuming those consequences may shorten our lives and reduce our quality of living!
How much longer will we hide our heads in the sand while the right to choose is made for us by those just wanting to make a buck? When we allow this we become our own worse enemy!

By the way people there is a march tomorrow Saturday May 25 2013
check it out :
occupy-monsanto.com...
edit on 24-5-2013 by nosacrificenofreedom because:

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Kudos for the thread.

I wanted to post an article that is a good summary of Monsanto's history and crimes:

www.alternet.org...

A wee bit:

The ultimate goal of the march is a complete ban on Monsanto within the US. At least 60 countries worldwide, including Austria, Bulgaria, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Peru, South Australia, Russia, France, and Switzerland, have implemented outright bans of Monsanto and its genetic modification of food products.

“I don’t understand why the US isn’t on the forefront of that thinking,” says Canal. “[Monsanto] has a long history of crimes against humanity.”

And I think that is why the US is Monsanto's Last Stand because it's home territory and owns the government and it will take massive action here to kill it.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join