It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright Explosion on the Moon!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Very interesting ..

This meteorite make biggest and brightest explosion on Moon ever reordered ..

"It exploded in a flash nearly 10 times as bright as anything we've ever seen before."

Bright Explosion on the Moon
March 17, 2013

May 17, 2013: For the past 8 years, NASA astronomers have been monitoring the Moon for signs of explosions caused by meteoroids hitting the lunar surface. "Lunar meteor showers" have turned out to be more common than anyone expected, with hundreds of detectable impacts occurring every year.

They've just seen the biggest explosion in the history of the program.

"On March 17, 2013, an object about the size of a small boulder hit the lunar surface in Mare Imbrium," says Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. "It exploded in a flash nearly 10 times as bright as anything we've ever seen before."

"On the night of March 17, NASA and University of Western Ontario all-sky cameras picked up an unusual number of deep-penetrating meteors right here on Earth," he says. "These fireballs were traveling along nearly identical orbits between Earth and the asteroid belt."

science.nasa.gov...

Video .. science.nasa.gov...

"These false-color frames extracted from the original black and white video show the explosion in progress. At its peak, the flash was as bright as a 4th magnitude star"

edit on 17-5-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Now ..

Whose lunar space station blown up? Because asteroid and meteor crashes on the moon surface happen so often that doesn’t need NASA to track and reporting it.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Typical Nasa. Grand title, boring info.

Wake me when something actually happens.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It was really the bombing of the secret Nazi base on the moon

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I saw this video for the first time, nice catch ..

Maybe someone will be also interested ..

Meteor Puts On Pyro Show At Concert

People this is a video cought in Tucuman, buenos aires, ARGENTINA
21/04/2013

edit on 17-5-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
So that's where that North Korean satellite went!

I found that video quite interesting.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Well..I don't know what I was expecting. Maybe something huge!?!

The meteor at the show though is quite awesome! It would scare the hell out of me to see something this big approaching.
A show you remember for the rest of your life!!

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
Typical Nasa. Grand title, boring info.

Intentionally boring, must say. Inducing the idea the outer space lacks of activity and publishing minor events with big titles, it supports their constant denying and cloaking of the truth.

It is irrational to believe all these technology, years of research and money spent are gving such a poor result. NASA just throws crumbs to the people.
edit on 17-5-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Yes, let's dismiss the whole space and science program because you think this particular piece of news is boring.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Awesome!

This and an earthquake... That i missed...... all in one day..

S&F

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by Trueman

Yes, let's dismiss the whole space and science program because you think this particular piece of news is boring.

Brilliant idea. We can survive without high tech stuff like Tang and Velcro.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

did anyone notice when they were showing all the impacts within the past year or so, there was about a third of the moon that had been un touched, if these thing hit randomly the odds of leaving such a large space untouched is interesting to say the least,

who or what is protecting that part of the moon and why?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

My guess is that the Moon takes more punches on its leading side as it orbits the Earth, that is the left side of the Moon as seen from earth.

And I do think that an impact on the Moon that is visible to the naked eye is an exciting event (I would certainly love to have seen that) and that NASA are doing a good job monitoring those impacts. This affects our plans for a lunar base. Astronomy and space exploration isn't all about Tang or velcro (neither of which were invented by NASA, only adopted). spinoff.nasa.gov...

The one true invention by NASA that benefits people on earth is the special type of mattress that takes and absorbs the pressure from the body. Originally invented for use in astronaut seats to accomodate the high g's and prevent injury, it is now used at hospitals and at home by people with a wide variety of health problems.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I suppose that tends to explain why no one is falling over themselves to be the first with a Lunar colony. They may be the first to lose a lunar colony, too. That would be a real painful impact to a little colony dome. It would only take one video record of someone flash freezing from their seat in a mess hall or recreation dome after at strike to pretty well wrap up the idea of manned presence on the moon for awhile.

That's quite a problem to have to overcome, isn't it? I can only think underground is shelter enough? Does man make any material that would take a full energy strike from even a small meteor fragment?

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wow, that was highly impressive in my opinion. It really is scary to think about all of the near-earth objects that could potentially slam into the earth at any moment. Astronomers are really only tracking asteroids and meteors that are large enough to do extensive damage to an area of earth, and on more than one occasion such an object was not discovered until it had flown by the earth, nearly hitting us in cosmic terms. I mean just look at our moon, and all of the impact craters it shows on its surface. The earth would look even worse if it were barren and did not have natural processes to cover the scars of past impacts.

Even smaller objects can cause extensive damage when hitting the earth, if they happen to land in a populated area. The good news however is that the majority of the earth's surface is covered by our oceans, so statistically speaking there is a good chance that an impact will be in an ocean. But then again, depending on how large of an impact we are talking about, it may be better for those who are directly in the impact zone, since they will instantaneously be vaporized and will not have to witness the calamity that will follow.

This is unrelated, but I find myself wondering if our moon will ever become active again geologically speaking. We know that the moon had active volcanoes at one time, but they appear to be dormant, and unlikely to become active again without some intense heating up. I believe there is only one volcanically active place in our entire solar system from what we know at this point. I find it quite interesting.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Luna, YOU SO TOTALLY ROCK!!! Thanks for catching that last meteor. Keep up the good work.

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!... You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If you think about it, it's actually quite astounding that the impact from an object only about 1 foot wide, could be seen over such the vast distance that is between the Moon & Earth.

reply to post by wildespace

Originally posted by wildespace

It was really the bombing of the secret Nazi base on the moon

psssst. I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, but don't tell anyone, mk?

The Nazi Base is on the other side of the Moon. ('The Dark Side')

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus

I mean just look at our moon, and all of the impact craters it shows on its surface. The earth would look even worse if it were barren and did not have natural processes to cover the scars of past impacts.

Don't forget to take the atmosphere into consideration.

I have no idea what the actual percentage might be, but I'd guess that a large majority of the craters on the Moon were created by objects that never could have made it all the way to Earth's surface, without burning up in the atmosphere.

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So at least we know where did the Ramos's ball went...

posted on May, 17 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

It's still interesting to see things hitting the moon's surface.

Maybe they can use this data to see where the most frequent hits happen, and maybe not start a colony in that area

Thanks for sharing MariaLida!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join