It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Govt obtains wide AP phone records in probe

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Well dependant on the circumstances within AP, and the specifc intent of these seizures, it might have been difficult to achieve that due to a lack of certainty as to the PRECISE identity of the mole, except to say that they had access to the systems, resources, and manpower, not to mention the contacts, of a reporter or editor perhaps at AP. As I say, it could be that any mention of the actual reason for the taps might have spooked the target before they could be properly ID'd. AP has many employees, and they cannot possibly track them ALL!

Im not saying this IS the way it is, but its not entirely outside the realms of possibility is all I am saying. Without knowing the specific intent of the taps, the target of them, its hard to point fingers. If there IS some sort of genuine national security threat, then I think people would rather the threat was dealt with to the fullest possible extent. That said, I can understand entirely the problem that people would have with this activity, because lets face it, you cannot trust anything a government says, does, or orders others to do on face value. Thats what makes this situation so thorny, and is part of the reason that it is the OUTCOME which will determine the legitimacy, or lack thereof of these actions. Dependant on the outcome, it could be the bust of, or the crime of the century.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

I never said they wire tapped them, just obtained a massive amount of records that they didn't need for the investigation.

Even Harry Reid has denounced it now.

Source

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I voted for Obama, both times.

Holy cow, I'm sorry. But would the other candidates been any better? Aren't they all just NWO shills?

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Oooooh! Maybe it was a democrat congressman who leaked the information and Reid is worried.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by Alxandro

The wheels won't come off. The people in the best position to call out the administrations crap are fixated on a tragedy that while sad, wasn't outside the norm. While the entire Right screams and cries about Benghazi, the real ground they have to stand on gets buried under tissues. Seems to me the elected Right would rather put their hopes on manufactured outrage rather than call attention to anything real, maybe because these are things they hope to use in the future.

The Left has done far more to call attention to the BS of the Obama administration. Drooling over birth certificates, Fast and Furious and Benghazi has gotten you no where because to quote the Prez, "There's no there, there". There's plenty else, all it requires is focus and critical thinking.
edit on 14-5-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

You certainly don't speak for the left. All you do is make excuse after excuse for the liberals and Obama who are a bunch of hypocrites that are not worth my spit, to put it mildely.

Where the hell are Occupy posters? Did they quit after protesting for a few months? I don't see many(or even any at all) on this site. All I see are ObamanOID(robotic) apologists who will cover-up everything instead of speaking their mind and voting libertarian or green.

There is no real left in america "buddy". Only right and more right. I only see tea-party patriots, who although right-wing, have 100 times more spine then your mainstream "left-wing" dorks.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon

I voted for Obama, both times.

Holy cow, I'm sorry. But would the other candidates been any better? Aren't they all just NWO shills?

Were Gary Johnson and Jill Stein "nwo shills"?

How the hell would we know considering they never get heard by msm???

They can't pay their way into the mainstream because the bilderbergers, support D and R exclusively, and everyone else can't be bothered to dig deep enough to see there alternative voices to the insane paradigm we have today.

I am actually suprised that msm was spied on by the democrats. I guess distrust eventually creeps into the mafia ranks and they eventually turn on one another. These pricks are worse than the sicilian mafia because they have credibility on their side.
edit on 14/5/13 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod

Actually you are dead wrong. Security Clearances even for the CIA are ran through the FBI. The FBI has investigated the CIA several times over the years and has background file for EVERYONE approved to work over there.

What? I just don't understand how people just BS with such confidence.

The agencies that investigated and adjudicated such determinations;
CIA, DIA, FBI, NGA, NRO, NSA, and the Department of State investigated and adjudicated these
determinations.

The ODNI conducted a special data call to obtain information on the number of IC clearances
pending for more than a year and the delays associated with those cases.

Seven of the 17 organizations that comprise the IC conduct their own security clearance investigations. CIA is
one of those seven agencies
and also conducts security investigations for ODNI employees and
contractors. OPM's Federal Investigative Services performs investigations for the remaining nine
IC organizations.

www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/intel/clear-2011.pdf‎

seven agencies with authority to conduct security clearance investigations or adjudications.

The NSA topped the list, denying 8 percent and revoking 1.6 percent of the security clearance cases it adjudicated in the 2011 fiscal year. Following it was the CIA, with a 5.3 percent denial rate and a 0.5 percent revocation rate.

www.fedsmith.com...

Seven Agencies run security clearances...not the FBI running them for everyone.

But more relevant to the point ...your claim that this was an attack on the Press rather than the reality of it being an investigation of the CIA by the FBI...is false and even the AP has specified the same.

The press is protected when it reports leaked material...the CIA leaker is not.
edit on 14-5-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Deetermined

I never said they wire tapped them, just obtained a massive amount of records that they didn't need for the investigation.

Except that is exactly what you said?

reply to post by flobot

He tapped them, including their private phones. Maybe you should stop and read more.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

Oooooh! Maybe it was a democrat congressman who leaked the information and Reid is worried.

Actually the outrage is bi-partisan, cuz both GOP and Dem congressmen leak classified material when it suits thier agenda.

Boehner to Reid on phone: "If the FBI starts to review phone records of reporters to see who in Congress leaks classified material...we are ALL effed!!"

See..if you are a lowly analyst or soldier and you leak classified material for a percieved "larger good" aka "whistleblower"...then you are going to trial and possibly jail.

If you are a Congressman who leaks classified material to boost your poll numbers, even when it puts agents at risk, it's just another day at the office in Congress!

This leak could have killed folks that spent years getting in undercover with Al-Qaida...and the whole operation was blown...which could cost lives in the future in attacks that have not happened yet.

If the FBI finds it's way to congress in the investigation, so be it.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by flobot
reply to post by Indigo5

they aren't challenging the press's rights to report the leak...they are challenging the CIA Leakers right to leak it.

I wish more people grasped this concept.

Unfortunately, it has been turned into a partisan issue.

But, what if no CIA employee leaked the info, but the AP secretly wiretapped and eavesdropped on the CIA, clandestinely gathering the info without CIA leakers, then the probe might reveal sensitive sources and methods used by the news media to find out the truths which they publish.

Wasn't there a similar case in England recently, where the news organizations were eavesdropping on people, causing a big scandal when it came to light? There were no beakers there. Just good old fashion spying.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
The Nation Online Magazine says:
Outrage Grows Over the DOJ Seizure of AP Phone Records

While no explanation was given, speculation quickly centered on an AP scoop from last May about a foiled terror plot coming out of Yemen, involving plans to blow up an airliner bound for the United States.

Referenced Article about foiled terror plot - CIA thwarts 'undetectable' al-Qaida bomb plot

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Actually you are dead wrong. Security Clearances even for the CIA are ran through the FBI. The FBI has investigated the CIA several times over the years and has background file for EVERYONE approved to work over there.

What? I just don't understand how people just BS with such confidence.

The agencies that investigated and adjudicated such determinations;
CIA, DIA, FBI, NGA, NRO, NSA, and the Department of State investigated and adjudicated these
determinations.

The ODNI conducted a special data call to obtain information on the number of IC clearances
pending for more than a year and the delays associated with those cases.

Seven of the 17 organizations that comprise the IC conduct their own security clearance investigations. CIA is
one of those seven agencies
and also conducts security investigations for ODNI employees and
contractors. OPM's Federal Investigative Services performs investigations for the remaining nine
IC organizations.

www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/intel/clear-2011.pdf‎

seven agencies with authority to conduct security clearance investigations or adjudications.

The NSA topped the list, denying 8 percent and revoking 1.6 percent of the security clearance cases it adjudicated in the 2011 fiscal year. Following it was the CIA, with a 5.3 percent denial rate and a 0.5 percent revocation rate.

www.fedsmith.com...

Seven Agencies run security clearances...not the FBI running them for everyone.

But more relevant to the point ...your claim that this was an attack on the Press rather than the reality of it being an investigation of the CIA by the FBI...is false and even the AP has specified the same.

The press is protected when it reports leaked material...the CIA leaker is not.
edit on 14-5-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

Again you don't know what your talking about. IC stands for intelligence community. That random paper you googled up has only to do with Intelligence branch SCs which are rare. Not any other, say your average MLRS crewman in the US Army has a secret, but your average FBI agent has a classified clearance. Independent reviews are all forwarded through the FBI. If you get a clearance you talk to the FBI AND whomever. For example I had to talk to the FBI and a bunch of s-2 people in the Army. Then I had to do a bunch of eqips and others for my present job.

Maybe you should google "Scattered Castles" and "JPAS". Again you don't know what your talking about.
edit on 14-5-2013 by thesungod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I'm going through ATS flagging and starring every single thread related to the crimes this administration has committed.

I'm so f*cking pissed off at this government. No one will be held accountable. It doesn't represent the people in the slightest and it's corrupt BEYOND BELIEF!!!

TRANSPARENCY MY A**

There has never been such a large group of blatant liars "elected" to represent Americans. This administration is on par with the Bush admin.

Just think -- we don't know HOW corrupt our government actually IS -- the latest stories of the past couple of weeks, and the past decade, is just the tip of the iceberg. Utterly ridiculous. And all you people out there still playing politics....WTFU!!!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I posted this to you before, but I'll repeat myself for the hard of hearing.

"Tapped" as in tapped an asset, not tapped as in a WIRETAP. Just goggle "tapped the asset".

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
You mean 'tap DAT As...." or tapped out in drinking too much or tapped out in fighting or tapped out of funds..

If they are releasing this, it means that it is much more widespread and this is what we are all running with. It is called a 'timed release'. Nothing happens unless TPTB want them too.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

I posted this to you before, but I'll repeat myself for the hard of hearing.

"Tapped" as in tapped an asset, not tapped as in a WIRETAP. Just goggle "tapped the asset".

Then why did you direct me to this wiretapping link?

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
TV news said that Obama's response to this was ... "this goes against the traditions of this country'.

Talk about downplaying .. trying to make it look like they just stepped on a few 'traditions'
instead of what it really is .. breaking the law and using Chicago political style tactics.

'traditions'.

I usually not a stickler when it comes to what others post here, but I want to provide a peer reviewed edit of your comment...

Originally posted by FlyersFan
TV news said that Obama's response to this was ... "this goes against the Constitution* of this country'.

Talk about downplaying .. trying to make it look like they just stepped on a few 'traditions'
instead of what it really is .. breaking the law and using Chicago political style tactics.

'traditions'.

_

At the very minimum, even if all consequences were waived and the details of the events are sealed, Pres. Obama has clearly displayed his inability to successfully hold the office of President for the best interests of the American citizens.

Hopefully we can disregard the propaganda, designed to distract the citizens and put us at odds with each other, and come together in agreement to get this clown out of office before he complete destroys our liberty and piece of mind for generations to come.

You can tell it is very bad for the POTUS now, as we see more and more die-hard Obama supporters acknowledging their displeasure and professing the end of their support. Obama is experiencing a constituency fall-out, across the board, like none I have never seen in my entire life.
edit on 14-5-2013 by esteay812 because: addcrctshn&cntnt

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by flobot

To show you that there is more than one type of asset tapping.

"Tapping" is VERY common intel term. So is tapping that... As esdad71 said.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Nazi's. Yup, I said. They did it too and did not apologize as it was in the best interest of the people. There are too many things going on in our own country against its own citizens.

Where are all of the people that were criticizing Bush? Do they think it is ok for these guys to do it but if you are not part of the same political platform it is wrong. We all fall victim in our lives to the belief that "no way, it could never happen' until you are old enough and your eyes are open.

The NSA was nailed in 2007 in the previous administration for this but there was also NO terror attacks during that time. It was used, I feel, for what it was intended. However, the current admin is growing to strong and bold. The Republican party was created to stop the Progressives otherwise known as the Democrats. The Republicans opposed WW1 and WW2 but TV tells you different. Paints them as war mongers and people cry arrest them for war crimes. George BUsh ran on a platform against foriegn involvement and did not want to go into Iraq, the UN did. The US went into Afghanistan after 9/11. But people listen more to Jon Stewart than picking up a book.

Now, the current admin is twisting policy and passing it faster that you can check on it. Think not. During all of this, did you know about this from days ago...maybe people are finally starting to leak this stuff to save the country...

Link

They want the internets...and they will have it. Skype...VoIP...chat...it is all monitored in real time but they need a law to act on what they found.

The only thing you can be is a voice...we need to be not one or two or three but a nation of voices to tell those in power to stop partying on our dime and get out!!!!

edit on 14-5-2013 by esdad71 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join