It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twin car bombs have killed 40 people and injured 100 in the Turkish town of Reyhanli

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Twin car bombs have killed 40 people and injured 100 in the Turkish town of Reyhanli, near the Syrian border.

Interior Minister Muammer Guler told Turkey's NTV the bombs had gone off near the town hall and post office. Video showed injured people being carried to safety amid shattered buildings and twisted wrecks of cars. No group has said it had carried out the attack, but a top member of the Turkish government suggested Syrian involvement. Continue reading the main story “Start Quote We stand with the people of Turkey” William Hague UK foreign secretary "Our thoughts are that their Mukhabarat [the Syrian intelligence agency] and armed organisations are the usual suspects in planning and the carrying out of such devilish plans," Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said.

Too early to point the finger at Assad, but we'll see.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 11-5-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Tragic loss in a dire situation.

A few moments of silence for the deceased. Turn off your iPods or your TVs for a moment.

I really hope this does not escalate, but I'm afraid the tenacity and arsenal of everyone involved makes that nigh impossible. It sickens me what is done to perpetuate war. Bloodthirsty greedy criminals get away with resource theft and instigating social chaos that just further radicalizes groups with arms.
edit on 11-5-2013 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Who could be responsible?

Officially Turkey is at a war against the Taliban government in Afghanistan as a NATO country and as a country who has soldiers in Afghanistan. Beside that, Turkish government claims that Syrian Government is not legal and Turkey is supporting the militias against Syria. Turkey has no diplomatic relations with Armenia and Cyprus. Turkey is the only one country who recognizes the de-facto state Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus and it does not recognize Republic of Cyprus. With Greece, Turkey has problems about the sea border on Aegean Sea.

Then there is the potential of a false flag type of event..Not big on False Flag conspiracies but that doesn't mean that they do not exist.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Tragic loss in a dire situation.

A few moments of silence for the deceased. Turn off your iPods or your TVs for a moment.

I really hope this does not escalate, but I'm afraid the tenacity and arsenal of everyone involved makes that nigh impossible. It sickens me what is done to perpetuate war. Bloodthirsty greedy criminals get away with resource theft and instigating social chaos that just further radicalizes groups with arms.
edit on 11-5-2013 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

What these criminals are doing, is not sustainable... while under social chaos, none can become strong enough to compete in any arena. Nobody is sure what the outcome will be, but it surely will not be any of these groups with enough power to really accomplish much.

There's only a few leaders and then there's conservative extremists who love their Islam, it's sad to say, but IMO it will never work. Never.
edit on 11-5-2013 by retirednature because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

I agree. Too many factions vying for too much power with too little public support. Makes me wonder if this is what the US would look like if armed militias and reformed political parties were in the same situation, with a military unsure of whom to obey and whom is the enemy. But, that's drifting off topic.

Pretty sure the same ones responsible for this attack aren't too far separated from the border jumpers that tried swarming the Golan Heights in the Arab Spring 2011.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Reference to past Turk bombings

2012 Gaziantep bombing

The bomb blast occurred at 19:45 in local time.[2][3] Bombs that were exploded through remote-control system were planted in a low truck near Karşıyaka police station in Şehitkamil district that is one of the most crowded areas of the city.[2][4][5][6] The police station was the target of the attack.[7] As a result of the explosion, two public buses caught fire, increasing the casulties.[1] Many other cars parked on the street and shops were also badly damaged by the blast.[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

Although there was no claim of responsibility, the bombs were believed by Turkish officials to be planted by PKK.[1][13] However, on 21 August 2012, Fırat News announced that PKK had denied responsibility for the attack[9][12] and claimed that another Kurdish group, the TAK was responsible for the attack.[14] On 21 August, four people were detained in Şanlıurfa and brought to Gaziantep for questioning.[15] Turkey also investigated whether any countries, such as Iran, were involved in the attack as well.[16

Hearing rumors that the Turks are about to blame Assad. PKK apparently doesn't attack civies, hrrmmm

More:

Death toll rises to 13 in car bombing near Turkish-Syrian border
(feb12 2013)

Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Guler said Monday that death toll rose to 13 in the car bombing near Turkey's southern border gate Cilvegozu in Hatay province. Guler told reporters that three of the victims were Turkish citizens and 10 were Syrians, adding that 28 others were wounded, and nine of them were Turks. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said "this incident shows the accuracy of our approach and our commitment to both the issue of terrorism and the situation in Syria," adding that "I want to make it clear that we will not make the slightest compromise in our determination in both cases." Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said the explosion occurred in a car that came from Syria but had not yet entered Turkey, in the buffer zone where humanitarian aid for Syrians is processed.

Xinhua |

www.globaltimes.cn...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well the Turks can thank Erdogan and his gang of thugs, it is said that you always get what you give.

If Erdogan supports terrorism and terror groups in Syria, well then; hes got something of the same coming.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jumadax

Seems that these events that could lead to all out war are accumulating and escalating at a rapid pace. With these peace talks imminent it looks as though the spoilers believe that their window to all out war is closing...

Deputy Prime Minister Beşir Atalay said the investigation into the perpetrators of the bombings is about to the completed, adding that they have links with al-Mukhabarat, Syrian's regimes intelligence agency. "The organization responsible for the attacks and those behind it are clear to a great extent. Their license plates have been detected. The henious incident is not related to Syrian refugees or the Syrian opposition," he said.

www.todayszaman.com...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Its most likely that this is the work of the Kurdish Workers Party (the PKK) a terrorist group that is seeking to create a independent state with in Turkey and have been fighting with the Turkish for years.

There is a chance that its a spill over of the Syrian Civil war i suppose but my money would be on the PKK.

edit on 11-5-2013 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well Turkey is a member of NATO.
If Assad is to blame then it is NATOs obligation to set up a no-fly zone and possibly bomb the Assad regime into the upper atmosphere.
Actually it's NATOs "duty" to do that.

Not what I want...honestly I hope Syrias fingers are out of it, for their civilians sake. (I dont give a damn about `rich dictators or rebel terrorists getting hammered, no big deal)

You think things were dicey when Israel hit Syria last week?

.. This is Far more serious. War could start soon...

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Dont rule out our own Governments involvement in these matters...this one did it, that one did it...the truth of the matter is us, We, the West have created this Sh!£ole situation with our foreign policy for years and we still send our own interpretation of Aid to the "FREEDOM FIGHTERS"....I'm not that easily fooled.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

If Assad is to blame then it is NATOs obligation to set up a no-fly zone and possibly bomb the Assad regime into the upper atmosphere.
Actually it's NATOs "duty" to do that.

getting way ahead of yourself there pal, Artical 4 of the treaty has already been implement by Turkey for Syrian agression, twice since this war started.

It was a rare meeting under Article 4 of the NATO charter which provides for consultations when one member feels its territorial integrity, political independence or security is under threat.

Link

yet still they have not put in a no-fly zone, article 4 is not simply "hit me then me and all my mates will hit you", that would be Article 5 which as only ever been used once after 9/11. it wasnt even used during the Falklands war so i cant see it being used now when there isnt even evidance to say this was Assads doing

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Well it could be anyone, including the Kurds.
But as far as Syria goes..

Assad can not protect Syrian civilians from being killed and injured.
The Rebels cannot protect Syrian civilians from being killed or injured.

Both sides (ImO) Have failed miserably.

Maybe it`s time for the teachers to interrupt ``play time``

The kids are misbehaving, it would seem. -and for far to long now.

If the only thing that can stop these losers from killing one another on an hourly basis is a Nato `no fly zone`then I support a NAto no fly zone.

Some of us are getting tired of these shenanigans, tired of the `status-quo. It may be time to act.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Just sad.

Terrorism wields its ugly head again. Prayers for the victims.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Seems everybody wants a piece of the pie in Syria.What goes around..
edit on 11-5-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
"We have to a great extent completed our work toward identifying the assailants," he told reporters. "We have established that the organization and assailants have links to the pro-regime mukhabarat (intelligence) organization."

He did not name the group.

Earlier, another deputy prime minister, Bulent Arinc said: "Our thoughts are that their mukhabarat and armed organizations are the usual suspects in planning and the carrying out of such devilish plans," he said.

Arinc said the attacks were still being investigated, but that If it's proven that Syrian was behind the attack, Turkey would "do whatever is necessary," without specifying if that included military action.

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Worst attack on Turkey in years.
They say they have evidence, well it should be more substantial than the fact that the cars that blew up had Syrian plates. That doesn`t cut it.

the facts are that this town not only shelters Syrians fleeing from the regime, but also shelters rebel groups and their leaders.
So the motive is definitely there.
-But so is the motive of forcing the Turks into action with a false flag event. The Reble groups would have enough reason to do this, as they are as crazy as Assad is.

Turkey needs concrete proof before retaliating. Not license plates at this point

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

A country that supports terrorism shouldn't complain if it is the victim of it,and that goes for every one!

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human

A country that supports terrorism shouldn't complain if it is the victom of it,and that goes for every one!,now go to your room.

We could support the status quo I guess.

But also we could do whatever we please

If that means ending Syrias civil war then so be it. (funny how so many people love this civil war, they want it to go on and on and on and on
)

posted on May, 11 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This is sad for the innocent people that live around that area, Turkey and Syria. But one thing is true. All the goverments are to blame for the carnage. Assad, Obama, Bibi and Erdoğan. One blames the other and so on. All for there own polictal gains. They all have blood on there hands, and lots of it. Oh yeah, the UN is a joke as well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join