It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon scrubs 3D gun plans from Internet, says designer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by fairguy
Why are you all so obsessed with gun ownership in America? I understand it's your right and all that, but step back for a second and think WHY??

Well, for some of us, it's an issue of liberty, not a matter of owning guns. I do not own a gun, never have, and probably never will, but I find this a bit troubling, that the Pentagon would block the flow of information, simply because it enables someone with a tool to make another tool.

It's not just about making another tool though is it... These printers could be used in so many ways to help so many people, what's one of the first things, if not THE first thing that Americans do with it... Print a gun.

Justice and liberty for all eh....
edit on 10-5-2013 by fairguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

Just more uninformed, Non-US Citizen, Anti-Gun Rights drivel.

We get it, you don't like firearms. That is nice.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
www.zerohedge.com...

Looks like the whole "The company was asked" is pretty far fetched.

He was forced to, by Govt policy and bureaucracy.

Hurray Govt..

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by fairguy

Thanks but it's far from uninformed

You're right, I don't. Why do you like them so much?

Remembering that I already stated that I understand it is your right... Albeit a very stupid one.

So tell me why do you have such a throbber for these ridiculous inventions?

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

reply to post by fairguy

Remembering that I already stated that I understand it is your right... Albeit a very stupid one.

Not uniformed you say???

What was the crime stats that were just released for the US?

Seems your a little late to the Anti game.

Oh, thanks for the preface before calling our rights stupid. Kind of like saying, "No offense, but you are an ugly, fat, disgusting jackass that I hate and hope dies from syphilis".

I, as every other American don't need to explain why. We have a right, that is all that is needed.

You don't like them, and your Govt treats you like a child by not allowing you to have them, or only have a few. You like it that way. Okay then, have fun with that.
edit on 10-5-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
You know...Now that he released that..i conder could you make a Glock with a 3d printer. The magazines would be the hard part seeing as you need metal springs for them. One shot guns are very hard to use efficiently because many people will miss with the initial shot especially since it has no sights apparently.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I downloaded them from their site 2 days ago, but You can get it now on any torrent site pretty much or just google it. for your information $10k is not the price of home 3d printers capable of ABS. your talking $1200 which is peanuts relatively speaking. I will get one soon , I will build the Gun for a challenge , but I will use the machine for useful things like making replacement parts or inventing little things. expensive hobby but we only live once! and I've got the itch for one real bad!!!!! there the future! I think there really exciting. I am going to make a custom tapered hair clipper comb for starters. I'd better brush up on my 3D modeling skills first!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

It's not just about making another tool though is it... These printers could be used in so many ways to help so many people, what's one of the first things, if not THE first thing that Americans do with it... Print a gun.

3D printers have been around for almost thirty years (see History of 3D Printing) so it's hardly the "first thing that Americans do with it".

What's different now is that prices have dropped to the point where "do it yourself" types can buy one -- I've debated getting one for about a year, because it would be handy for my hobby of electrical engineering and building hardware. Could have used one a couple of months ago when one of the parts on my pinball machine broke and I spent a couple of days tracking down a replacement -- with a 3D printer, I could have just made my own.

Again, there is more to this story than just "Oh, you Americans with your crazy gun obsession." That may be a part of it, but not all of it.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

reply to post by fairguy

Not uniformed you say???

What was the crime stats that were just released for the US?

Seems your a little late to the Anti game.

Oh, thanks for the preface before calling our rights stupid. Kind of like saying, "No offense, but you are an ugly, fat, disgusting jackass that I hate and hope dies from syphilis".

I, as every other American don't need to explain why. We have a right, that is all that is needed.

You don't like them, and your Govt treats you like a child by not allowing you to have them, or only have a few. You like it that way. Okay then, have fun with that.
edit on 10-5-2013 by macman because: (no reason given)

I could have practically guessed that response word for bloody word..
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind...

Also, you expect me to explain why I don't like them, but in retort to me asking why you DO like them so much, you say you don't need to explain why... Methinks it's not only my government who's treating me like a child here.
Good luck in not getting shot.

edit on 10-5-2013 by fairguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

Yeah, so your response to being told that you are in fact uniformed, is that???

Oh, how about this quote??

"...history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi (1869 - 1948), an Autobiography, page 446.

Yeah, you fail. Thanks for playing.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
LOL- Pirates bay is hosting the plans and will not remove them.

I am all for the 2nd Amendment but this really has me "torn"- I really do not like this at all...But the genie is now out of the bottle and the plans are everywhere (impossible to scrub since its went P2P)-

I guess we will see what comes out of this... But again, not good IMHO.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Also, you expect me to explain why I don't like them, but in retort to me asking why you DO like them so much, you say you don't need to explain why... Methinks it's not only my government who's treating me like a child here.

So, you are mad because I too am treating you like a child? Well, I guess it has to happen.

Good luck in not getting shot.
[

Oh, gone this long without that happening.

I guess good luck not being stabbed, or robbed, or assaulted or anything else.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

reply to post by fairguy

Yeah, so your response to being told that you are in fact uniformed, is that???

Oh, how about this quote??

"...history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi (1869 - 1948), an Autobiography, page 446.

Yeah, you fail. Thanks for playing.

If you want to break the quotes out, how's this one grab you...

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I fail.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Here is the article about TPB taking over the distribution.

torrentfreak.com...

A few days after the blueprints for the world’s first printable gun were published online, Defense Distributed has been asked by the State Department to pull them down, citing possible arms trafficking violations. The blueprints, however, are still available on The Pirate Bay and many other file-sharing sites, which adds a 3D chapter to the IP enforcement debate.The Pirate Bay says it welcomes the blueprints and has no intention of taking the files down.

In late 2012 the 3D blueprint website Thingiverse decided to ban 3D gun designs, citing their terms of service which clearly prohibit files used to make weapons.

Enter DEFCAD, a site dedicated to hosting designs that have been banned at Thingiverse. Namely, the entirely printable 3D gun design which clocked up more than 100,000 downloads within its first two days of release.

This did not sit well with the Department of State Office of Defense Trade Controls who kindly requested that DEFCAD remove the availability of the 3D printable gun documents, enthusiastically named “The Liberator,” citing a possible violation of International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

In the letter from the State Department, which can be read in full at Forbes, the Government explains that it wants to review whether the designs are in compliance with arms export control laws.

While the attempted censorship of the 3D gun blueprints may come as no surprise, the popularity of these files is a vivid example of the daunting task faced by those charged with censorship of information.

While DEFCON promptly complied with the request to remove access to the design, it was shared so widely during the short window of availability that it is now virtually impossible to prevent any further distribution. Currently, there appears to be several torrents available for the design at The Pirate Bay and the site informs us that these will not be censored.

“TPB has for close to 10 years been operating without taking down one single torrent due to pressure from the outside. And it will never start doing that,” A Pirate Bay insider told TorrentFreak.

link   
And another, from an officer of the law no less...

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You ain't invincible guy.

link   
reply to post by fairguy

And that means what, in regards to this topic??

Are you just throwing out quotes, for quotes sake?

I double down on my uninformed statement.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

So, another quote, just to put quotes up.

No one here has stated that they are a free lance cop, because of a CCW.

I now triple down on the uninformed statement.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

reply to post by fairguy

And that means what, in regards to this topic??

Are you just throwing out quotes, for quotes sake?

I double down on my uninformed statement.

America is destroying itself from within, thanks to this "right". Pretty easy to understand even if it is a couple hundred years old.

I don't live there so why am I even caring... I'm just thinking of my fellow man.

Oh well.

Go out and shoot something to make yourself feel tall.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Once something is out on the internet, there is NO stopping it from being re-distributed.

Pirate Bay Takes Over Distribution of Censored 3D Printable Gun

Torrentfreak
edit on 10-5-2013 by Berzerked because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
-Has anyone consider the "Quality Control" angle?

Just a few MM off and the firearm could explode. My regular (non 3D) printer sometimes makes mistakes. When I purchase a Firearm I buy for quality, and firearms have a quality standard so that they do not generally "blow up" in your hand...

Could you imagine some 3D printer being "off" by just a little bit? Or some idiot writing a Virus which changes the 3D printer by a very small degree?

-Again, I do not like this at all. "Printing" a firearm with no QC or checks and balances is a very bad idea IMHO. But again, genie is out of bottle. I imagine this will be more reason to strip our privacy in the long term.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join