It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Bliss, a High School Student Gives His Teacher a Lesson *Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Wow this young man hits it on the nail. All tho there are many great teachers out there. There are just as many apathetic ones! I hope that either this teacher takes to heart what he has said or the administration does but I doubt it. I love how he keeps his cool!

In case anyone can not watch it here is what is said in the video.

Student: Going off on kids because they don't freakin get this crap?
Teacher keeps saying "bye" and "get out"
Student: If you would just get up and teach 'em instead of handing them a freakin packet, yo! There's kids in here who don't learn like that...
They need to learn face to face. You're just getting mad because I'm pointing out the obvious.
Teacher: "No it's cuz you're wasting my time"
Student: No I'm not wasting your time; I'm telling you what you need to do.
You want kids to come into your class? You want them to get excited for this?
You gotta come in here and make them excited. You want a kid to change and start doing better?
You gotta touch his freakin heart. Can't expect a kid to change if all you do is just tell 'em.
Teacher: "Bye"
Student: You gotta take this job serious. This is the future of this nation. And when you come in here like you did last time and make a statement about 'oh this is my paycheck', indeed it is...but this is my country's future and my education. But there's a limit, when I'm not bitching, but simply making an observation. And now I will leave. You're welcome! And if you would like, I'll teach you a little more so you can actually learn how to teach a freaking class,
(teacher keeps saying "bye" and "just go")
because since I got here, I've done nothing but read packets; so don't try to take credibility for teaching me jack.
Teacher: "Close the door"
edit on 9-5-2013 by jrkelly77 because: ...

edit on 9-5-2013 by jrkelly77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Withdrawn.

My reply fell ill.
edit on 9-5-2013 by applesthateatpeople because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Hot damn!

You go boy!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Good for him. I've seen the same thing in a couple college classes. The instructor teaches so rigidly from the book or power point that I could easily have saved myself some money, a whole lot of time and just gone to Youtube for all the good being in class did anyone.

Teachers and Effective Instructors are very different things....and some are so lost in their own little world of 'greatness', they can't even begin to understand that concept.

Good for a student, for having the courage to 'school' the teacher!

edit on 9-5-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor addition

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

Yes! Yes! That is awesome! That kid really should become a teacher. He gets it!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Good for him. I've seen the same thing in a couple college classes. The instructor teaches so rigidly from the book or power point that I could easily have saved myself some money, a whole lot of time and just gone to Youtube for all the good being in class did anyone.

Teachers and Effective Instructors are very different things....and some are so lost in their own little world of 'greatness', they can't even begin to understand that concept.

I can honestly say that I logged more time on the games on my phone this semester than ever before. Some of my professors were so boring it was really sad.

You need it to get that piece of paper though.

I actually signed up for all online classes next semester so I only need to show up for the classes I TA in.
edit on 9-5-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I know what you mean... I had several classes in college where we just looked at power points. I could have done the same thing online for free from home, but that wouldn't have earned me any credits.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The teachers union will probably have him arrested.
He can see the big picture. He is dangerous.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."

Benjamin Franklin.

This was the main picture above the wipeboard when I was doing a certificate in T.E.S.O.L. A couple of months back and it is engrained in my head. Every teacher on the planet needs to know and understand this.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
His argument was a stance I had when my only child began Middle School back in '01. Jeff Bliss made an important comment - quoting his "teacher" as only being there for the paycheck. I've used that in arguments against the faculty when I saw them slacking off in their teaching styles.

He's absolutely right - teachers need to become vis-à-vis with students that require it instead of belching out general curriculum - it doesn't take much to do, and it's not singling out those students - it's all part of Teaching Skills and Strategies.

This video needs to go viral.

Also...
Excellent reply Ranong

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
he is 100% right, you can see the lackadaisical manner that teacher had, she looked very bored to be there
teachers like her are educating our children, teaching them to be mindless brainless drones

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I feel compelled to point out that not every teacher is as pathetic as this teacher. Some of us do care and put all our effort into teaching.

Having said that....this kid gets it. That's awesome.

I'm sending this video to all my colleagues.

S&F

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
My daughter has a study hall class where the teacher sits there and tells the kids they can play on their phone and do whatever they want.. Its called "life skills" I was told when she started they actually learned things in this class but I guess not, unless life is about playing games on your phone and txting.

When I was in school you couldn't even have a phone out in class or you get suspended.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
These days, students are forced to cram as much as they can, regurgitate it on command, and then get passed to the next ring leader. That's not learning, that's indoctrination. Teaching students how to memorize, not how to think. And that's the problem I've always had in class. I would always raise my hand and ask, "How is this applicable in the real world?"

But I never really got a realistic answer. All I got were possible situations I would likely never find myself in. And in the end, I've learned more outside of school than I ever learned in school.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
These days, students are forced to cram as much as they can, regurgitate it on command, and then get passed to the next ring leader. That's not learning, that's indoctrination. Teaching students how to memorize, not how to think. And that's the problem I've always had in class. I would always raise my hand and ask, "How is this applicable in the real world?"

But I never really got a realistic answer. All I got were possible situations I would likely never find myself in. And in the end, I've learned more outside of school than I ever learned in school.

You nailed it.

Standardized testing is the main culprit, IMO. Teachers' jobs depend on if the students can pass that test...so they teach to the test. It's an inevitable outcome of standardized testing, and it's hindering education.

I wish I could give applause.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

It's fine. Thanks for the thought though.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This kid will be someone one day, watch this space.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Consolidation, teachers unions, tenure...

Yet, the teachers will blame the parents and standardized testing...

All we do is build monuments to architecture when a new school is erected...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
Consolidation, teachers unions, tenure...

Yet, the teachers will blame the parents and standardized testing...

All we do is build monuments to architecture when a new school is erected...

There are a lot of problems with the educational system. It's extremely complex. Yes, there are horrible teachers who shouldn't be teaching. Same as every profession.

Parents are the MOST important factor in a child's education. Kids with great parental support do better than those kids whose parents aren't as supportive. The simple fact is, a child with an unstable, chaotic, or dysfunctional home life will most likely have problems at school. Why? Because its hard to care about learning multiplication facts if you're worried about your home life.

Teachers unions do a lot of good, IMO. The union I belong to is actively campaigning now to reduce class size and student to teacher ratio. Just one example.

And I think a lot of people misunderstand tenure. I can only speak for NC, where I work, but tenure doesn't keep me from being fired. All it does is provide me with seniority in case positions are cut. I can be fired for incompetence and a whole lot of other things.

Education needs reform, no doubt. And frankly, some of the idiotic things I see happening at school makes my blood boil. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix the larger issues.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

School systems have lost all common sense. Altho I agree that unions do a lot of good it really pisses me off when they have trouble firing a teacher because of tenure ive seen it happen here in Pa.. Or they do manage to get rid of the teacher but hes just shuffled off to another school district who has no clue about whats happened!
edit on 9-5-2013 by jrkelly77 because: ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join