It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Bliss, a High School Student Gives His Teacher a Lesson *Video

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think it really rude that the teacher isn't even listining to his statement. She is talking over it all the time with a 'i know better' attitude. She needs to be open to criticism and if she can't, she shouldn't have become a teacher. The least you can do is listen.

As for the student, way to go!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Duckling

I agree the teachers I always had problems with when I was young were the ones who acted better then the students. Who would never admit to a mistake and talk down to me. They showed me no respect and i showed them very little back!

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well, there's two types of people that will take jobs with that low of pay:

One: The person who is so passionate about that job that the pay doesn't matter.
Two: The person who can't do what they really want, so they settle for a low paying job to get by.

Unfortunately for our school system, most teachers seem to fall into category two.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I have a great deal of respect for teachers...please do not take my simple commentary as a slam...

I read your response and am not quite convinced that it is very complex....

First things first...

Reading, writing, and arithmetic...

You do not need a multi-million dollar building...

Each community gets a school...

No more busing kids to schools with 5K enrollments...

Socialization takes place at home...back to the family unit...

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey
reply to post by smyleegrl

I have a great deal of respect for teachers...please do not take my simple commentary as a slam...

I read your response and am not quite convinced that it is very complex....

First things first...

Reading, writing, and arithmetic...

You do not need a multi-million dollar building...

Each community gets a school...

No more busing kids to schools with 5K enrollments...

Socialization takes place at home...back to the family unit...

I didn't take it as a slam, no worries.

However, the dynamics of learning are extremely complex. Several factors come into play: the strengths and weaknesses of the child, the home life of the child, socio-economic factors, medical issues, etc. there are many more factors, these are just a few.

I agree that social skills should be taught at home....unfortunately, that doesn't always happen.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to derail the thread.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

I find it hard to take a position of any kind without more context.

I find it disturbing that every single poster has taken a position without more context.

Did I miss something? Wouldn't you like to know a little more about what the heck was going on? I just find it hard to form a solid opinion with a short, one sided video.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
A grate example of what it means to be smart.
No not knowledge but to be able to evaluate your self and your surroundings to make your life better.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
My room-mate is a math teacher, and he loves this kid. He wishes his other kids were like him.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I'm sure I completely agree with the way he said what he said, but he is absolutely right in where he was going with this argument. Think of how many people become teachers. Why do they do it? Many probably do enjoy teaching kids, but there are also a large number of people who go into teaching because it is a job that is always in demand, and it offers them job security to an extent. It is more stable than other types of jobs at least. And if this is not the reason, maybe it is because they do not know what they want to do, so they go into teaching because it is relatively easy to go to school for. That is my take on it anyway.

So there are going to be many teachers who are not concerned with the students they teach, but only concerned about themselves, and thus they do not really care if the children learn what they are teaching them. Plus, these types of teachers would never admit the fault was with themselves, but with the student. Even though the teacher should know that certain students do not learn the same way as other students, and that teaching them in a better way would cause them to grasp what is being taught.

To be a good teacher one must actually care about the students enough to show the students that they are willing to suffer with them, to do whatever is necessary to teach these kids in the best way that they can. This is why we should not only restrict who can become an educator, but also give them a bigger salary. Everyone would agree that a great teacher is much more valuable than a great athlete, yet look at the difference in what they are paid. Teachers are barely given enough to live on most of the time, even the great ones. They are more important than many other types of people in different jobs, yet we treat them like crap.

So make the selection process harder. Psychological evaluations to see who actually is cut out for teaching should be in order as well. The whole education system needs to be revamped imo. And the money to do all this stuff actually exists. It is just that the priorities of this country are very screwed up. The government can come out and announce that the military cannot account for 13 trillion dollars, and no one bats an eyelash. We can spend all this government money overseas, simply making the corporations richer, when we could be revamping our systems here at home. So someone try to tell me that politicians are not corrupt.
edit on 5/9/13 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm really glad the school didn't discipline him. Some of the faculty are backing him on this. I think everyone should! The teacher is on paid administration leave though now .. but that pretty must equates to a vacation. She apparently told him to "quit his b*itching" when he asked about why his class gets less time to take a test than the other classes. This is why he refers back to that word.

This kid dropped out his freshman year, and came back a few years later to finish school. You can tell he really means it and wants an education. I am proud he is from Texas

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
So what in this video shows that the teacher is bad? Why was this kid getting booted from the class to start with, model students don't just get randomly booted from class. Most likely he was mad because he was getting booted and was having a hissy fit blaming the teacher for his bad performance. Is the teacher there to entertain him, sounds like he thinks so. Maybe he is just part of the "everyone gets a trophy" crowd.

I'm not really picking a side here but, where I live a teacher was fired for giving out zeros to slackers for assignments not completed. WHOOHOO everyone gets a trophy !!!!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

What an ignorant, disrespectful young man. ( Not what I wanted to put, but...)

Good for the teacher keeping calm. I'd have hammered the spoilt brat into the floor, and lost my job etc...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
i am simply shocked - there is clearly a problem , PS , what does :

" take credibility " mean

PPS

its a rhetorical question , i assume he meant " take credit "

but given the falling education standards - who knows

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
saw this yesterday and thought it was awesome!

this kid is smart and is really telling it like it is. it's cool that this is getting a lot of attention, maybe it will help people to wake up to our 'square wheel' education system.

edit on 10/5/13 by emptyOmind because: interview already posted

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Duckling

Yupper. Seems to me that she needs to shut her mouth and open her ears/mind..both of which are quite obviously closed. Teachers like that are why I dropped out. It's still a decision that I regret, but when you're not learning a damn thing, what exactly is the motivation to sit there and deal with some poor excuse for a teacher (and that accounted for 90% of my high-school career btw) who is just there to earn a paycheque and doesn't give half a damn whether anyone in the class actually learns anything or betters themselves in any tangible way. I just personally got sick of it really..I had quite a few rants similar to what that guy said, as well (which caused me to spend more time in the office than the scumbags/bullies of the school) except nobody had any interest in recording my rants lol. Prolly because if they had brought out a cell in any of those classes, the teacher probably would have thrown it at a wall or something lol. Far as I'm concerned, teachers these days have no right to call themselves educators. They are merely there to basically baby-sit you until the time comes when they can kick you to the curb and get into wasting the potential of the next group. If it was really about education, they would do proficiency tests every 3 years or so from kindergarten on to see what you are good at and what inspires you and nurture that inspiration. Sadly, though, that is really not what it is about. It is about producing 1 of 2 things: 1) Subservient corporate clones who will not stand up and question what they are being told or 2) More fodder for the prison industrial complex, where corporate-run prisons are paid by the head/ I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was a situation of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" between the PIC and government as I'm sure there are some corporate kickbacks being thrown around for sure. Sad but true..

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
BRAVO to that young MAN yes a man because the kids the children laughing behind his well deserved rant will be working for him someday when they grow up.

I hope that he goes far!

No child left behind and the current administration have devastated education in this country! The process of learning has been taken out of schools!

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This young man is an inspiration!!!

If you have had the DISPLEASURE of dealing with a corrupt school & school district - you know why I think this kid is awesome!!!

I have seen very good teachers, very bad teachers, and a lot just there to pick up a paycheck.

My children's good teachers always are rewarded by me, the parent. The bad teachers (one I have been dealing with this past year) find me to be a thorn in their side that will not go away.

This teenager said everything I wish to have said to this "bad teacher" who has terrorized my child this past school year.

This young man SEEMS to be standing up for a fellow student. That is awesome!!!

This is something I have been trying to teach my kids - to stand up to injustice.

This boy should be awarded!

BTW, here's an awesome video about changing the education paradigm. An EXCELLENT watch.

(I never post videos here so I don't know how to embed them. Sorry.) Help?

Awesome video about changing education!
edit on 10-5-2013 by nerdyclutzyblonde because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nerdyclutzyblonde

Here you go all you have to to do is copy everything after the first = sign on the you tube page in the browser then when you hit reply on ats click the vids you tube button and paste what you copiedt.

edit on 10-5-2013 by jrkelly77 because: ...

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It seems like the student gave the supposed teacher a lesson to me.Packets,really?What ever happened to classroom participation?The exchanging of ideas,points of view ect.Thats what this"teacher"seems not to comprehend.I don't know where she obtained her degree from but should just give it back and work at McDonalds!
edit on 10-5-2013 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join