It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If a massive artificial object were rapidly approaching Earth, would governments...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
If governments (e.g. the US government) discovered that a massive artificial spherical object (about 100 times the size of Earth
) were approaching Earth (i.e. from many, many light years away out of our solar system), would they inform us?

Or, would they only tell us once it was close enough to be seen by amateur astronomers and whatnot?

edit on 5/3/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
what makes you post that?

you know something?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

If it was a "100 times" the size of earth, it would be readily apparent as it catches up to us. A new star in the sky getting bigger every night. Professional astronomers would catch something like that and be falling all over themselves to be the first to announce it, regardless of any "gag" order.
edit on 3-5-2013 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

There is not, and if it was seen by the public, most likey the govt will see it then too.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
With all the amateur astronomers, something headed this way would be found pretty quick. The whole Nibiru thing was a good example, if there's something there, we'll know about it long before government admits it. All for our own good, of course

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It would probably be some you tube amateur astronomer that finds it first, it will spread around and make its run on the conspiracy sites, the government would say nothing, NASA would confirm approximately 1 week ahead of impact(against the governments wishes), and............

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I would say that they would not let us know the end of humanity was near unless we found the answers for ourselves. Our US love the blinders on its citizens.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Yes.........
No.........
Maybe...........
What!?!?!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

They would not inform us or confirm any data that this is possible. If the object is in an infra-red spectrum it would not be seen by the naked eye. Also, this should raise some eyebrows, if it is traveling in a different dimension it would not be seen by anyone and when it is ready to materialize in this dimension there would not be much that could be said or done. I believe this is all the more reason to be prepared spiritually daily. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Soul

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

For it to be close enough to discern it were headed towards Earth specifically, Amateur astronomers would be aware of it. 100 times the size of Earth is big, but not enormous.. Jupiter is 1328 times bigger than the earth by volume, and 318 times bigger by mass.

Mercury, venus, mars, and pluto are all smaller than earth and can be observed by amateurs. There are various moons of various planets that are smaller than earth and can be observed by amateurs. Sometime 100 times the size of Earth would be quickly discovered by someone some where, especially if it were getting closer.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
They wouldn't even tell us if it was a sphere the size of a football field

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
An artificial object, "100 times the size of the Earth".

Our sun has a radius that is 109 times that of the Earth.

You've basically describe something about half the size of our sun.

Have you seen Jupiter in our night time sky? Even at 664,520,800 km away, it is very bright. As bright as -2.94 mag. And you could fit 10 Jupiters across our sun.

Now, an object that size is going to reflect a LOT more light, and would be as bright from very, very far away, and easily seen not only by amateur astronomers, but every day people just looking up at the night sky.

That means it would be detected by said amateur astronomers much, much further away from that, out past the kuiper belt.

The government could try and keep it secret all they want. But something that huge, bigger than any other object in our solar system except for the sun could not be kept secret in any way, shape or form.

It would have to be made out of a material that does not reflect much visible light (but then it would be visible in the IR spectrum). However, as it approached, it would start blocking out the light of stars that we can see and that are recorded on star charts. So we'd still end up seeing it quite a ways out, simply because it's blocking star light.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how any government on Earth could keep something like that a secret. They'd have to make everyone blind to do that.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

I appreciate your attempt at using big scientific words, but the spectrum of light is only important at great distance. An object that exists in the physical world will be observable in more than one spectrum of light given the right distance from the observer. If the object is 100s, or thousands of years away it may only be observable in a specific light spectrum, how ever if an object were getting closer to earth, it would reflect light from sol, even if minimal so it would appear as a dim object getting brighter as it approached the earth. For an object to be observed in "infra red" it has to produce said light, or reflect it from a near by source.

As stated earlier, even an object with relatively low albedo will reflect light from Sol, and the level visible to the observer would increase as it got closer to sol. Even an object that did produce an infra red signature, would likely begin to reflect some of the light from sol back to the observers here on earth as it approached the inner solar system.

Some objects like gas and dust clouds, are best observed in an alternative light spectrum because their surface area does not reflect natural light favorable for observation.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Absolutely NOT!

And why should they? We'd blow ourselves up before the damn thing even got here. Lol.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I doubt it.
"The EQs we are experiencing have no connection whatsoever to the asteroid we are now seeing in daytime skies. Again, this will be a once in 10 lifetimes event. We want to see your photos & videos. Happy Sky Watching"

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Pink Elephants !!!

In other words.... if,if,if,if,if

What is the point in this or are you having a really boring day?

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MadMax7

If mankind did not question or ponder or hypothesize - even if by stupid questions - we would still be dumb apes.

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Silly really once everybody could see it I guess they would be admtting to it.

How many posts per day on average all over the Intenet and Video"s are taken down and blocked and people banned. Lots. Thats how many.

Get a grip. They can sensor anything they want. Do you guys really think these kind of sites are the end all of everything.

Wake Up!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Melbourne_Militia

I shall choose my words carefully due to the eyes that may be open.

If I were in hold of some information, I would not post such aforementioned information using my public IP. If I were to hypothetically gain hold of such information, I would hypothetically post such aforementioned information through the medium of the "dark net".

Luckily, I am not in hold of any such information, this is just hypothetical - so, nothing to see here!

posted on May, 3 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Well I guess you told me smart guy. Your attempt at being condescending was duly noted, however, you ignored my dimensional hypothesis for some reason. No opinion on that or did you decide it was not possible?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join