It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHERIFF: 'We want people to call us if guy down street hates government'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

So when are they gonna start giving up the bloggers?? And the internet posters. It is a slippery slope my friends.

Exactly! Can we say CISPA?

They can say it however they want, but if you're targeted because of an anonymous tip, you will be considered a terrorist.
Some people believe that the police can search homes without warrants if they are looking for a terrorist, but I hope everyone realizes that there aren't any grey areas here. We all need to stand firm and demand that a warrant be produced that states exactly what they're searching for. Otherwise, they can use anything they find in your home against you. Do you collect banned books? That can even be used against you as evidence that you're anti-government. I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.
Those who believe that the warrantless searches in Boston were OK because of the situation are in for a rude awakening. The Constitution doesn't allow for grey areas and neither should you.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Not to mention, if they get a report that someone heard a person say they were going to shoot a government official, isn't that hearsay?
Last I heard, hearsay isn't admissible in a court of law.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
Not to mention, if they get a report that someone heard a person say they were going to shoot a government official, isn't that hearsay?
Last I heard, hearsay isn't admissible in a court of law.
Its not, and they would not be able to bring charges against anyone, based solely on an anonymous tip.

What they COULD do, however, is keep those people that had been called out by their neighbors under greater surveillance, and enter them into databases, and, perhaps, get court ordered mental evaluations.
edit on 2-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I understand that, Captain Obvious.
The tip would lead to a search of the home. Hence, why I was so insistent on everyone understanding that they need to request a warrant. Like I stated before, some people will allow police access to their homes without a warrant, but they will be signing their own arrest warrant. People should NEVER, under any circumstances, allow the police or any other agency to search their home without a warrant.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

This is how Nazi germany started. What citizens need is a citizens legal body that they have created and funded to supported citizens rights. There could be one in each state, and i wouldnt make it a membership group , but via funded donations. The legal reps have one job to fight these new laws. It certainly send a message to politicians of where citizens consider the line exists between liberty and authoritarainism
edit on 2-5-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

What they COULD do, however, is keep those people that had been called out by their neighbors under greater surveillance, and enter them into databases, and, perhaps, get court ordered mental evaluations.

Greater surveillance? You mean like warrantless wire taps and email collection?
Mental evaluations?

The more you talk, the more ridiculous you sound.
I hate to break it to you, but they're doing all of this already without getting neighbors to snitch.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I understand that, Captain Obvious.
The tip would lead to a search of the home. Hence, why I was so insistent on everyone understanding that they need to request a warrant. Like I stated before, some people will allow police access to their homes without a warrant, but they will be signing their own arrest warrant. People should NEVER, under any circumstances, allow the police or any other agency to search their home without a warrant.

1)Your rudeness is unbecoming.

2)Thats simply not true. Warrant less searches are still illegal. This type of sensationalism gets us nowhere.

3)Let me ask, can you provide a single source of someone who agreed to let the police enter their home in watertown being arrested for anything found during those searches? Again, sensationalism solves nothing.

4)Thats your opinion. Most rational people understand that there are times when cooperating with the police is not only acceptable, but commendable.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Yes, it is so crazy. But you know what, they have been practicing this crud. There are doing drills on paralyzing the population. Man, there were some that saw it coming but too too many did not. If everyone made a stand at once...maybe. But we have no chance with one side of the population ratting out the other side. The master's job is already done for them. They just roll into a city or town with their tanks and artillery while the rats give up the other side.

Who didn't see that coming??

edit on 2-5-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Greater surveillance? You mean like warrantless wire taps and email collection?
Mental evaluations?

The more you talk, the more ridiculous you sound.
I hate to break it to you, but they're doing all of this already without getting neighbors to snitch.

Dude, you just repeated the exact same thing that I said, only you claimed I was ridiculous for saying it. Is there something wrong with you?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

You really need to educate yourself. I know things are moving quickly, but that's no excuse not to keep up with the laws.
You said it's illegal to tap someone's phone without a warrant?
You're wrong.
"Warrantless wiretap bill passes in US House, authorizes 5 more years of domestic spying"
www.theverge.com...

I suppose if they got a tip that someone was up to devious activities, they would get a warrant. At least I hope they would, but they act as though they're above the law these days.
Just remember that it's never OK to let them into your home without a warrant. There is no grey area here.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

You really need to educate yourself. I know things are moving quickly, but that's no excuse not to keep up with the laws.
So I take it you are a scholar of the law? Naw, didnt think so.

You said it's illegal to tap someone's phone without a warrant?
Once again, there you go, changing what was said, even though it is right there in front of you. I said warrantless searches are illegal. I also said that these things could lead to being placed under more surveillance. How you got from there, yo "its illegal to tap someones phone without a warrant" is beyond me.

You're wrong.
Considering that you are, once again, attributing things to me that I never said, no, I am not.

I suppose if they got a tip that someone was up to devious activities, they would get a warrant. At least I hope they would, but they act as though they're above the law these days. Just remember that it's never OK to let them into your home without a warrant. There is no grey area here.
Thats simply not true, once again. I take it you wont provide the sources that I asked for in my other post? ya know why that is? Because there are no reports. Because it didnt happen.

As I have said so many times, people like you are JUST as bad as these cops you claim to be against. You harbor an attitude of division, you see no instance in which you would agree with a cop, and you advocate not cooperating, even if you think it is the right thing to do.

You, sir, are an example of why this country has gone where it has. And you dont even realize it.

And whats better, you are so desperate to discredit me that you dont even understand that I was agreeing with you. Sad. Just sad.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I hate the Government.

Come get me!

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Way for every single person in this thread to take the Sheriff's words out of context.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
this is just crackin' open the door..sort like the preverbiale frog in the kettle......

so the cops want to come 'check you out' because of something somebody says they heard you say. as the sheriff said "he’s confident that his trained professionals will know how to sort out fact from fiction." so how long before that turns into...'we must take every threat seriously'?

im guessing most of us have said something....'bad' about the govt or a politician or have written the same.....so even tho you have done anything wrong, have no intention of doing anything wrong...would you want the cops to come over and as the sheriff says “What does it hurt to have somebody knock on a door and ask, ‘Hey, is everything OK?’...if anyone thinks a simple 'yes, im fine' will be enuff....ha
i spent my time in law enforcement..once your in the 'system'......

just chip very small parts of our rights and freedoms away, just a liiiitle bit at a time...that way not enuf people get upset and too many people will not see anything wrong.....

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper
Way for every single person in this thread to take the Sheriff's words out of context.

There is nothing out of context, the article completely eludes to the possibility for abuse, thank you for the 1 liner, and didn't explain how this article wasn't highlighting potential threats to freedom.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
EVERYBODY hates government. There's absolutely no reason to like them, honestly. They're invasive, demanding, and destructive in every aspect.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This is a great website regarding how to handle yourself and declare your rights if the police come knocking and want to search without a warrant.
ssd.eff.org...

Privacy tip: Don't accidentally consent!

If the police show up at your door without a warrant, step outside then close and lock the door behind you — if you don't, they might just walk in, and later argue that you implied an invitation by leaving the door open. If they ask to come in, tell them "I do not consent to a search." Tell roommates, guests, coworkers and renters that they cannot consent on your behalf.

Privacy tip: Don't get tricked into consenting!

Police could try to get your consent by pressuring you, or making you think that you have to let them in. For example, they may show up at your door claiming that your neighbor saw someone breaking into your home or office, saw a criminal suspect entering the premises, or heard calls for help, and that they need to take a look around. You should never physically interfere if they demand to come in (which they will do if there are indeed exigent circumstances), but no matter what they say or do, keep saying the magic words: "I do not consent to a search."

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meaningless
EVERYBODY hates government. There's absolutely no reason to like them, honestly. They're invasive, demanding, and destructive in every aspect.
Speak for yourself. I am not super fond of their actions, but I dont hate anyone.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail

Like everyone that has ever went on a rampage talked about it with their neighbors

You always here the people say, "Oh he was such a nice boy",
edit on 2-5-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

Yes...we must be suspicious of all the nice people. Why are they being nice? Are they hiding something?

It's not natural to be nice. The world is full of nasty people. Any nice person has got to be suspect.

We know that nasty people are constantly letting off steam. So, they have a release valve.

But the nice people, how do they get their release? They must be bottling it up, which makes them dangerous.

What is even more dangerous, is that we're always expecting bad things from the nasty people, so we're on guard whenever they are around. But, the nice people throw us off guard. They are the only ones who can catch us by surprise. So, watch those nice people very closely. Don't believe every smile. That smile really says, "I'm not ready to show you who I really am today", and "I'm saving it up for the right day".

People think that Jesus was very nice. That loving guy who always said things like "Love your Enemies"...and then the Holy Book throws in this Revelation...

And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be
able to stand? -- Revelation 6:16-17

That nice "Lamb" who preached love and forgiveness...for ages...all of a sudden...one day watch out...when you least expect it..."WRATH" ...and who shall be able to stand....etc...

Those nice guys are only nice for a time and a season. Nice, until the end of the season of their time.

The lesson is clear, isn't it? Watch the nice guys. Don't mess with the nice guys. Don't mistake nice for weakness. Remember, to be nice in a nasty world, takes a lot of strength.

Fear the man who can remain nice in the face of adversity.

Watch your neighbor, and report. It could be Jesus, dwelling next to you.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
This thread made me think.

I really love the government.
I love everything about it.
How can I help support my government?

You see, there is a way to win the game.

And there are many ways to lose the game.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join