It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Wife: Be content to be insignificant."

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

"Wife: Be content to be insignificant. What loss would it be to God or man had you never been born."
[Reformer, founder of the Methodist movement] John Wesley

In pain shall you bring forth children, woman, and you shall turn to your husband and he shall rule over you. And do you not know that you are Eve? God’s sentence hangs still over all your sex and His punishment weighs down upon you. You are the devil’s gateway; you are she who first violated the forbidden tree and broke the law of God. It was you who coaxed your way around him whom the devil had not the force to attack. With what ease you shattered that image of God: Man! Because of the death you merited, even the Son of God had to die... Woman, you are the gate to hell.
-- Tertullian, 2nd-3rd century Churchfather

"If [women] become tired or even die, that does not matter. Let them die in childbirth--that is why they are there." -- Martin Luther

"Woman is a temple built upon a sewer."
The sixth century Christian philosopher, Boethius, wrote in The Consolation of Philosophy,

"To embrace a woman is to embrace a sack of manure..."
Odo of Cluny

"nothing [deficient] or defective should have been produced in the first establishment of things; so woman ought not to have been produced then."
St. Thomas Aquinas

"What is the difference whether it is in a wife or a mother, it is still Eve the temptress that we must beware of in any woman... I fail to see what use woman can be to man, if one excludes the function of bearing children."
-- Saint Augustine of Hippo, Church Father, Bishop of Hippo Regius, 354 - 430

As regards the individual nature, woman is defective and misbegotten, for the active force in the male seed tends to the production of a perfect likeness in the masculine sex; while the production of woman comes from a defect in the active force or from some material indisposition, or even from some external influence.
-- Thomas Aquinas, Saint, Doctor of the Church, 13th century

Woman is a misbegotten man and has a faulty and defective nature in comparison to his. Therefore she is unsure in herself. What she cannot get, she seeks to obtain through lying and diabolical deceptions. And so, to put it briefly, one must be on one's guard with every woman, as if she were a poisonous snake and the horned devil. ... Thus in evil and perverse doings woman is cleverer, that is, slyer, than man. Her feelings drive woman toward every evil, just as reason impels man toward all good.
-- St. Albertus Magnus, Dominican theologian and Doctor of the Church, 13th century

"Every woman should be filled with shame by the thought that she is a woman."
[Churchfather, venerated as a Saint upto the 17th century] Clement of Alexandria

Woman was merely man's helpmate, a function which pertains to her alone. She is not the image of God but as far as man is concerned, he is by himself the image of God."
[Saint] Augustine (354-430)

Although far more women are witches than men... yet men are more often bewitched than women. And the reason for this lies in the fact that God allows the devil more power over the venereal act, by which the original sin is handed down, than over the other human actions.
-- Henry Kramer and Jacob Sprenger, Inquisitors, 1486

And speaking of inquisitors...

The Inquisitors who wrote The Malleus Maleficarum, explained that women are more likely to become witches than men because the female sex is more concerned with things of the flesh than men; being formed from a man's rib, they are only "imperfect animals" and "crooked" whereas man belongs to a privileged sex from whose midst Christ emerged.

King James I estimated that the ratio of women to men who succumbed to witchcraft was twenty to one. Of those formally persecuted for witchcraft, between 80 to 90 percent were women.

...she was stripped naked and the executioner shaved off all her body hair in order to seek in the hidden places of the body the sign which the devil imprinted on his cohorts.

Warts, freckles, and birthmarks were considered certain tokens of amorous relations with Satan. Should a woman show no sign of a witch's mark, guilt could still be established by methods such as sticking needles in the accused's eyes. The confession was then extracted by the hideous methods of torture already developed during earlier phases of the Inquisition.

This part is very Christ-like

The sexual mutilation of accused witches was not uncommon. With the orthodox understanding that divinity had little or nothing to do with the physical world, sexual desire was perceived to be unGodly. When the men persecuting the accused witches found themselves sexually aroused, they assumed that such desire emanated, not from themselves, but from the woman. They attacked breasts and genitals with pincers, pliers and red-hot irons.

Brought to you by:

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
You shall not allow a witch to live.

and

Ezekiel 18:5-6
But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, and hath not ... come near to a menstruous woman.....

So, religious women...why on earth would you believe in a religion that hates you so much? It almost hates you more than it hates gays, but the reason it hates gays it's because men shouldn't ever act like women, the scum of the earth.

GET A CLUE, WOMAN! you don't need this #.

[snipped]

edit on 1-5-2013 by lupodigubbio because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri May 3 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

+2 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Isn't religion wonderful.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
That's a sh*tload of misogyny!!

Not you, OP...I'm referring to those you quoted.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The very reason why I left religion ALL together.
Many religions don't allow women to teach. In mine (ex) we had to wear head coverings to teach in the presence of men and were never allowed to give sermons.

But I cant help but wonder why so much disdain for women in the scriptures or in history for that matter.
Is it fear? Fear of what we can do and what we can contribute to the world?

It was so much easier back then to just tell us to shut up and put up then try and listen to what we have to say.
Lazy...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

The quotes stated are from men. Unfortunately in past times men thought little of women, as many do now. There are some things in the Bible that I do not understand and that I can find offensive. However when Jesus came he brought grace and a gentleness and unconditional love. I believe in Him and I adore Him. I follow Jesus and his command to love one another. I may not agree or like certain people but I can love them as other human beings and I can have softness in my heart for them. We are all just humans, prisoners of this fleshly body and I know from my own childhood and life experiences that people usually act from hurt and trauma imposed on them; and some people don't grow inside.they are shut off from expanding their mind and awareness of personal growth and allowing others to do so as well. So yes I can love others. I am not their judge and so I try to do the best I can and place my faith in Jesus. And so when it comes to such attitudes over women I remind myself I am dealing with mankind and lack of understanding and lack of education. And so I am free and happy. I'm not saying it doesn't get under my skin but I don't let it get me upset. In fact my own father has this attitude - that women are simply helpmates of men and to look after men. Yes, if it were a perfect world. It's not though. As for Eve - she broke the rules and was dealt the consequence. As a woman I can truly say I get mad at her for doing so and therefore reaping such consequences on down the line. However men were dealt the consquences of having to work in order to feed, clothe themselves. Life isn't perfect. But I know there is a perfect day and world and eternity waiting. This life will be but a shadow in comparison. I am a woman and I love being a woman.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
A lot of women have been brainwashed by society to be sexist toward one another.

edit on 1-5-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

So, religious women...why on earth would you believe in a religion that hates you so much? It almost hates you more than it hates gays, but the reason it hates gays it's because men shouldn't ever act like women, the scum of the earth.

You quote a bunch of people who lived from 300 to 2,000 years ago, all in radically different societies, and you think that you're making a point?

You could quote non-religious speakers from those eras, making exactly the same sorts of statements. Cultures of the past were patriarchal, who cares?

Are you from the past?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I read your Op and you know what it said to me?
Men are afraid of women. They know women are more powerful than them.
These quotes are character assassinations at best and full of lies.
The church had to get men to believe that women were evil, so they would stop marrying like the church wanted them to in order to keep all their material possessions going to the church upon the priests' deaths.
When are men and women going to realize that the church is not the place to find peace and tranquility?

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccseagull

The quotes stated are from men.

Yes, men who claim to be filled with the holy spirit. Men who claim to be followers of Christ. Men whose ignorance lingers to this day and age. You are a sweet woman, just don't buy into the lies of some demons in disguise.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

You quote a bunch of people who lived from 300 to 2,000 years ago, all in radically different societies, and you think that you're making a point?

You could quote non-religious speakers from those eras, making exactly the same sorts of statements. Cultures of the past were patriarchal, who cares?

Are you from the past?

Yes, a bunch of people who are supposedly men of God.
And yes, I am from the past I was born in 1977.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
both males and females were made in the image of the elohim. the text says adam not man, but the translators inserted man. that was naughty. the adam were both male and female. that is not to say the adam were hermaphrodites but rather some elohim were male and some were female that the adam were cloned from.

this is the issue:

the eve was the first reproductive female, and that's what her name means -- mother. before that time, new adam were created via cloning of the elohim. so new males and new females were created without childbirth and without the pain of childbirth. however, when the female adam (eve) and then the male adam were given procreative ability, they lost favor with the rest of the elohim, primarily because cloning allows for population control, resources are not depleted and pollution is significantly less. also over population would not be an issue. however, procreating homo sapiens, whole new ball game. and that is the original sin, it wasn't even the fault of the humans. where the fault lies is what behavior changes were brought about by the addition of procreation. and the reluctance for some humans to put a clamp on their more violent survival instincts

for example, mammalian procreation includes various survival of the fittest hormones, which naturally includes jealousy, murder, competition for resources, competition for mates, and etc. pain in childbirth came as a result of going from being a cloned race, to being a procreative race. procreative females create more procreative humans, so females have been the targets, for thousands of years, and the preferred method of decreasing human populations was to include anti-female teachings in religious texts.

read it carefully. use strongs concordance to find the original meanings.

edit on 1-5-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Ah my dear, thank you. Men are just men. They can be filled with the Holy Spirit but the Holy Spirit doesn't force them to behave in the correct manner. Men (and women) act out of selfishness, revenge, pride, giving in to temptation. I don't follow any man and I don't follow any church. I don't understand the all of the Bible, I personally don't believe any one person can claim to understand the entire Bible - however I do follow Jesus and try to live and behave with my love for Him in all I do. When I communicate with other people I remember that they are just like me - just living life with the self awareness they have and when I interact with other people it's with love for Jesus in my heart and hoping to be the best example I can of Him. I don't believe in religion and have been unimpressed with my own church attending attempts. My fellow believers have disappointed me more than some unbelievers. Unfortunately too many people either misunderstand the Bible or use it to twist the words to their own purpose. I may sound like I'm so self righteous but truly I just wake up in the morning, try my best and go to sleep knowing I have done the best I can so that I don't worry about how I may have hurt others. Life is hard enough as it is and I find that the more I love others the more I can deal bettter with life and what it throws at me. Now having said all that I do admit to not dealing well with other people in traffic, sigh. Hugs to you OP.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ahhhhh, the evolution of thought...

Since religion was created by man, why deflect blame... it's not religion's fault, man is to blame. And man carries religion on through the generations. Religion did not create those thoughts.

But like I said, evolution of thought... so nothing to worry about. And by the way, women have become so empowered, there now exists a number of them that believe they don't need men.

Ehh, we (men) probably deserve it.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
None of those men were filled with anything holy or worthwhile.

The attitudes presented here have survived the centuries, and rear their ugly heads still in the subtext of all monotheism. That is why I love the creative, generative force that made the universe (whatever it is) but loathe religion.

+6 more 
posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Are you from the past?

Ignorant...

What has endured the test of time is an Ideological legacy that has affected policy and society daily, and not in a beneficial way.

So, basically, your religion sucks, and your watered down rebuttals speak the truth...you just don't know it, which is the biggest joke of all.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
facelift

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by adjensen

and your watered down rebuttals speak the truth...you just don't know it, which is the biggest joke of all.

would you be so kind as to read my entire post above and comment on it?

edit on 1-5-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I just did...

I think it ruined my high.

Thanks a lot undo...

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

edit on 2-5-2013 by synnergy because: nevermind

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Genesis 1: 26 And God said , Let us make man in our image , after our likeness: and let them have dominion ..."

note the word man there was translated from the word "adam" which is a plural word.
note the word God there was translated from the word elohim, which is a plural word.
note it says after "our likeness" as in more than one, and note it says let "them" have dominion, as in more than one.

Thus the verse should read, And the Gods said, Let us make the adam race in our images, after our likenesses, and them have dominion....

Genesis 1: 27 So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

now take into consideration what i said about the first verse. and correctly translate this verse to say

So the Gods created the adam race in their own images, in the images of the Gods created they them, male and female,created they them.

THERE it is.

We started out as clones of the gods, some of whom were male and some of whom were female. Then, a certain of the elohim who was a geneticist, modified a female and male adam, to be procreative.

To know or have knowledge of, was to have sex. So the tree of knowledge is a metaphor for procreation.

posted on May, 1 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Hate to bust peoples bubble but Eve was deceived and Adam choose. Death was passed down to all not because of Eve but through Adam. Eve only got more pain during child birth, Adam got the book thrown at him and rightly so, he's the one that caused the race to fall not Eve. It's the sins of the fathers that is passed on not the mothers.

It's all pass the blame game, Adam accused God of giving him a defective mate when he said "the woman you gave me". He should have manned up to the fact that HE choose to eat and wasn't forced by Eve who offered.

Organized religion has always conspired to assert its control over the masses by every means possible. The most effective way is to limit the knowledge of scripture and place the idea that what ever the priest or pastor says is fact. The RCC is notorious for this and still are. However, Paul praised the Bereans for searching the scriptures to see if what he said was true.

How many today fail to do as the Bereans did not only with scripture but even with the news they receive, few if any at best. This path leads only to persecution and degradation of those that are the object of the attack. Nothing has changed in the past 2000 years, only the object(s) and the place and even today women are still treated like dogs in virtually all countries of the world. Why, because Adam still blames the woman for what he himself did.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join