It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Wife: Be content to be insignificant."

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Why do all those quotes sound like they are from gay woman haters?

In any case George Carlin says it best. Most religious pro lifers are anti woman.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Quite disturbing. This kind of makes me wonder what the early church leaders had against women.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Thank you for your input into this thread, undo. I always enjoy your take on this kind of stuff.

On Topic: It has always grieved me, even when I was a Christian, that a whole gender can be hated, brutalized, and oppressed. It is a nasty statement for our species. We have never outgrown our infancy. We truly do not understand, we are a single species of masculine and feminine. Neither is complete without the other. The genders are our balance. Together, we are a powerful force to be reckoned with. Divided, we are even less than half our strengths. Is it any wonder that division is perpetuated by those who DO understand?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Were all going up to the boogeyman in the sky when we die......
riiiight.
Women have gotten a #ty deal from the get go.
One of the horrors that got me out of religion.
If an 8 yr old can see this going down why cant adults?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by resoe26
What are some great contributions to civilization from women vs men.....
I believe men take that cake.

besides... didn't a man invent the bra?
didn't a man invent the tampon?

And didn't women raise the men? Didn't they influence the men to be good citizens, creative, and intelligent?

Weren't most women denied an education? I wonder how many women inventors might have been, if only the men allowed them to go to school.

The point is, its not a one-upmanship game between the sexes, or at least it shouldn't be.

Women are the yin to the man's yang. We are harmonious TOGETHER. That is how things are meant to be.

edit on 2-5-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
These same "religious" men were also taught in the church, that it was "virtuous" to lie, steal, deceive, and manipulate, all to serve the church's adgenda. Holy? In whose eyes?

The Adam and Eve story was taken from an old Norse tale, to help convert the Norse from their pagan religon to christianity.

Societies of old were often matriarchal, vs patriarchal. Men then were indeed afraid of women. They didn't understand reproduction, a woman's monthly cycle, or even basic cleanliness.

I do agree with alot of people....we are not the same society that once was, although in fact, many of the old, silly superstitions still exist and are relied upon by many. The bias still lingers, the double standards linger, as do many other things, in spite of our so called advanced society.

Have we really advanced? Or will this battle between men and women continue indefinitely?

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

In those days, the children were often removed from the mother at a very early age, as she was expected to produce heirs- as many as possible. It started with removing the baby from the mother's breast, as they knew nursing inhibited reproduction. So there was often no ties of real emotion between the natural mother and her children. Children then were often closer emotionally to the hired help than they were their own parents. That was especially true of the more affluent citizens. Peasant women were the only ones who were allowed to nurse and raise their own children- at least to a certain age.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Quoting people who lived long ago and held archaic views on the subject of women in an attempt to attack Christianity, is like quoting people who lived long ago and held archaic views on slavery in an attempt to attack Christianity.

Oh wait. Unbelievers do that too. Lol

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

True that.
I love my mom. and mis abuelitas.
maybe my slight anger towards women stems from the numerous times I have been lied to, cheated on, or discovered the manipulation that exes of mine bestowed upon me.

but hey, I know not all women are like that.

but the majority Ive came across (not literally) have been straight putas.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Here are just a few from the "secular " world.

Maybe it isn't so much a Christian thing as it was a mindset in days gone by?

" Nature intended women to be our slaves. They are our property." -Napolean Bonaparte
"Women are nothing but machines for producing children." - Napolean Bonaparte
"Women are like elephants. Everyone likes to look at them but no-one likes to have to keep one." - WC Fields
"Women should be obscene and not heard." -Groucho Marx
"Women's intuition is the result of millions of years of not thinking."- Rupert Hughes
"Women: Can't live with them, can't bury them in the back yard without the neighbours seeing." - Sean Williamson
"Women should have labels on their foreheads saying, 'Government Health Warning: women can seriously damage your brains, genitals, current account, confidence, razor blades, and good standing among your friends'." Jeffrey Bernard
"A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke." - Groucho Marx
"The appropriate age for marriage is around eighteen for girls and thirty-seven for men." - Aristotle
“So it is naturally with the male and the female; the one is superior, the other inferior; the one governs, the other is governed; and the same rule must necessarily hold good with respect to all mankind” - Aristotle
“A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her”- Oscar Wilde
“Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship”- Oscar Wilde
“Women are made to be loved, not understood” - Oscar Wilde
“No woman should ever be quite accurate about her age. It looks so calculating” - Oscar Wilde
"All women become like their mothers, and that's their tragedy. All men don't, and that's theirs." -Oscar Wilde

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Wow. Please allow me to highlight a bit of what you stated.

Originally posted by Witness123
Fine. Some people feel that way and it's by no means a Christian-exclusive view.

I personally was abused by women for much of my childhood and they still cause major problems for me today. Very serious problems. Many of them are deranged and exist to torment me.

If there were reincarnation I must have been a stalker/rapist back once upon a time.

But if there wasn't then it's clear they're just low-intellect, selfish, harmful people ho have come to aid in my ruin.

If any of this was the state of things in the old days, then why would you blame John Wesley?

Women are not princesses. They are not entitled to any special treatment. If they are being stupid then they should be treated like they are stupid. And surely if one of them engineers a great new innovation or brilliance then they are credited for that as well.

No one here in my camp I think is trying to say that these views from 100-500 and more years ago we should relive. But it looks to me that you're saying we should treat them as royalty instead. Why not just treat everyone equally, how about that?

If you actually believe that stupid people should be treated as such, you're getting exactly what you deserve.
Women existing just to ruin and abuse you?

You actually think these women have nothing better to do and were born just to make your life miserable? You think you're that special?
I think you're the one who is of low intellect who's exhibiting selfishness.
Please, get a grip and stop being stupid.
edit on 2-5-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Why would quotes from a religion devised from a bunch of guys in a time when women were viewed as property and / or baby makers and house cleaners, be a surprise when they are seen to look down at women? Hell I left religion when they didn't even respect animals, and well from all science aspects we are ANIMALS, I was 13 not even really got to the part about women, that came after I left and formulated my own belief system, where everyone is equally a blessing or a pain in the arse...

Why has it lasted so long, Mob mentality, social thinking trumps common sense in many cases sadly, why do you think people try to control groups with fear? It's a lot harder to make everyone happy, it's a thoussand times easier to make them scared.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I agree with you it does look like it could be lol

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Backward thinking from male dominated religions.

More advanced cultures in the past embraced equality and sometimes even reverted women for the miracle of child birth.

Viking Women for example were able to own and manage land, completely ruled the homestead, and fought in battle next to their men if they so choose. Although the Norse typically arranged marriage, women were not forced to take a certain suitor and could even request one for her family's consideration. Both partners had the right to initiate divorce as stated in front of witnesses.

Part of the problem disseminating the evidence we find is the type of thinking of men in the field such as the OP demonstrated.

Irish Women were even better off. They could arrange their own marriage, trail marriage and divorce. They could manage business, land, money ... all of which was their own by right. They could write their own wills and dispose of their property as well. In matters concerning joint land between both partners, she had equal say and could even veto his decisions if he made poor choices. Women enjoyed basically as much freedom and control in medieval Ireland as they do in modern America. ...maybe more. If anyone killed a woman in medieval Ireland, the punishment was two fold:

It states that "whoever kills a woman shall be condemned to a twofold punishment" because "great is the sin when anyone kills one who is mother."

Rather than believing the rhetoric spewed forth by church related writings, we should focus on actual primary source materials. When you do, a whole new picture forms of a woman's general rights in the past throughout Europe. This paper for example discusses this very issue. Eileen Power is just one of many who have chosen to dig deeper into the past to get the truth.
To quote Margaret Wade Labarge:

medieval women might have been viewed "as subordinate and inferior by medieval men ... but they were neither invisible, inaudible, nor unimportant."

Religions demonized women because we are highly intelligent, strong and peaceful. For example Lilith was Adam's first wife who was demonized because she refused to be his subordinate.
all about Lilith

He (Adam) apparently believes that Lilith should submissively perform wifely duties. Lilith, on the other hand, is attempting to rule over no one. She is simply asserting her personal freedom. Lilith states, “We are equal because we are both created from the earth.”

In closing, I ask you... where you YOU be without your mother?

reply to post by SweetKarma

That is only applicant to the nobility of SOME cultures, please do your research.
Thank you
edit on 2-5-2013 by Invariance because: added the reply

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

... actually the first thing i asked me after reading OP
was 'what was the real motivation to post that collection of quotes - and in that context '..

see,
yes it is true that too many 'men' have wanted to subdue Woman - by force
or by theological Blackmail [ thats the same, no ]

But the was WRONG - because they MISUNDERSTOOD.

however
their [intentional] 'misunderstanding ' doesnt mean that He is ' thus wrong '.

..nothing more gorgious... as His original female - Eve -
and likewise Nothing more gorgious as His soon-to-be new Eves

- in the orginal Creation, male was 'following her '
why ?
- because she was his heart, his very inside

...but after the fall, in this awful dumb and blind frame, enmity came,
and female has suffered enormously, ever since.

But
put the blame where you shóuld put it: the Evil egyptian pantheon

you will find they have Spelled male, by every possible curse and Sorcery,
why?
because théy [ Evil ] rule Via male the earth.

like a leech hangs onto a person,
likewise Evil hangs onto male - and hence most males think with their *** ,
simply because they are but the means for Evil to can kéep ruling this world.

.. - because, if Male would get frée - and thát is the intent of the '144000 males '
since 'male ' is ' authority ',
then a total different world will come: His '.

..He says '..and I will give you a new heart '
= His new, gorgious female

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

As for Eve - she broke the rules and was dealt the consequence. As a woman I can truly say I get mad at her for doing so and therefore reaping such consequences on down the line.

uh...don't know what to say about this. You are obviously blindly accepting that story as truth, since you are mad at Eve ....

Considering the time we attribute to Bible being written, and it is most certainly written by men...(with penises)...do you think they would write anything else than..."she made me do it" or "it was all her fault"...

Obviously propaganda worked on you well...

YES I am blindly accepting what the Bible says. The Bible was inspired by the Holy Spirit and man recorded it. Man did not write it. I place my faith in God and not man or this earth. He created me and even if I don't understand His ways I can just go with the flow. Sure I get mad at Eve, but I don't hold it against her. Getting mad is a fleeting emotion. I can choose to stay angry and dwell on it and cause disharmony within myself due to an emotion or I can continue to make my life the best it is.
Propaganda doesn't work on me. For I can choose to believe something just because someone says something OR I can choose to research it as much as humanly possible and try to understand it. Until I am put in the Garden with the Tree of Knowledge and know for a fact that I would or would not do the same thing I am not going to judge Eve. HOWEVER I am allowed to feel emotions which are a reaction to something. My emotions don't make me who I am and I choose to move beyond emotions that are detrimental to me.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
I like how you pretty much quoted everything but the bible.

Let's be honest, other than child bearing there's little need for the woman, unless you consider the Bible.

edit on 2-5-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Dude, SERIOUSLY?? It is obvious that somebody isn't very popular with the ladies.

The same can be said for men, but I realize that both men and women are necessary and wonderful in their own ways. You can always try the gay lifestyle, they don't need women at all.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance

Religions demonized women because we are highly intelligent, strong and peaceful. For example Lilith was Adam's first wife who was demonized because she refused to be his subordinate.
[
edit on 2-5-2013 by Invariance because: added the reply

whoa whoa... Don't speak for all women please....
its more like scatter brained, weak physically, conniving and ready to argue at any given moment.
I have yet to meet a women that bases most of her thoughts and actions on pure LOGIC rather than emotion.

-women are easily manipulated (ie satan manipulating eve into eating the fruit)
Which is why normally and story of an 'exorcism' is usually with the demonic possession of a woman.
---you can nearly tell any woman they are beautiful and they will be in all loving support of you for your 'admiration of thier beauty'.

Have you ever met a woman that doesnt look in a mirror when she walks by one?
No.
All of them do because that is usually more important than anything. LOOKS

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

Originally posted by milkyway12
I like how you pretty much quoted everything but the bible.

Let's be honest, other than child bearing there's little need for the woman, unless you consider the Bible.

edit on 2-5-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Dude, SERIOUSLY?? It is obvious that somebody isn't very popular with the ladies.

The same can be said for men, but I realize that both men and women are necessary and wonderful in their own ways. You can always try the gay lifestyle, they don't need women at all.

He may still be popular with them... but probably hides his true thoughts away until he porks one a couple of times.

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Man, I love when unbelievers grab straws. They' use anything in their power possible to jump on our bones, huh?

I believe a previous poster made it pretty clear that women were treated lowly by societies in general. Maybe you a would like to go after Asian countries? You want me to show you just how anti-woman they can be? Oh, of course not. You know why? Because they're predominantly Buddhist, and even though Buddhism is inherently against sexism, that doesn't stop them from treating women like garbage.

Want me to show you all the quotes and instances of woman hating in India? Oh, that's right, because they're all Hindu. Hinduism is also against misogyny. Want to know why nobody is going after Buddhism and Hinduism? It's simple. Because they're not Christians.

Here's a towel, everyone. Getting egg off of your face is a messy task.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join