It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Marlboro Man Leaves the Building (part two) - The E-Cigarette Controversy and benefits of nicoti

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I have been going to a stop smoking program for people that have a problem stopping at the VA

The doctors there don't recommend E-Cigarette's because of the source of the nicotine compound in them being from China.

Under US laws even ones that claim they are made in the US could be using nicotine shipped in from china in 55 gal drums and packaged into the cartridges in the US and labeled US made.

As with anything from china who know what is in the product.

It is very true that a lot of players have jumped into the market, and most of them are using products from China. As with anything these days, it is well worth it to do a bit of research before choosing a product and in particular choosing the e-liquid that will be vaporized.

Almost ALL of the hardware comes from China - but there are several companies that are marketing here that are producing their e-liquid 'flavors' here with U.S. products.

THe FDA did a study in 2009 (that was very flawed) that tested the amount of other trace products in e-cig liquid. They found (in one sample) one tobacco-based carcinogen that was at a level equal to that found in an FDA-approved nicotine patch (and hundreds of times lower than the amount ingested with a tobacco cig); they found another product (from China) that contained a trace amount of diethylene glycol (FYI trace amount too small to be considered a hazard). This result was not replicated in any of the other 18 samples, nor has it been replicated elsewhere. But this study was widely trumpeted as a scare tactic "theres anti-freeze in them e-cigs, ya don't know what's in them!!!" kind of reaction.

Well....perform that same test on tobacco. For one, you would have difficulty isolating almost 10,000 different chemicals (most studies can only isolate a few thousand of them); and there is a long list of dangerous chemicals in much greater amounts than any found in the flawed FDA study of e-cigs - even if that study is taken at face value, it does not demonstrate any significant harm of e-cigs, and especially when compared to the product it replaces (tobacco). E-cigs don't have carbon monoxide, no benzene, no ammonia, no acetylene, no hydrogen cyanide, no arsenic, no methane...and several thousand more (for reference, see this page)

I use one product that performs testing on all components, and publishes the batch testing of all ingredients per lot number on it's website; and another product that purchases only FDA-inspected and approved products. So even if there is a drum of nicotine from China that ends up in my e-cig, it first gets inspected by the FDA and then by the quality control of the packaging company.

Frankly, until we take over our own economy, there is a lot more to fear from China products than what they may be putting into e-cigs, and getting away from those products would require going to the Moon (if you could find a way to get there that didn't use Chinese-made goods). Hell, how much Chinese tobacco do you think U.S. tobacco companies are packaging into their products??? And maybe...if the FDA and Big Pharma would step out of the way, and Big Tax keeps its paws off, and the gub-mint keeps Big Tobacco from squashing the market, maybe, more U.S. manufacturers would run with this market and further reduce that concern.

However I would personally say that my concerns about vaping electronic cigarettes (even when it is from China) is minimal to non-existent when compared to the concerns of mine about smoking tobacco. The known risks of the ingredients of both make it a no-brainer that (although not PROVEN safe by big gub-mint studies) this product is in order of magnitudes safer now and long-term than smoking, to me and everyone around me.

and yes, I am now going into my 4th week, and this is the first time I quit that I didn't count the days. And I can take long walks again, and no more coughing in the mornings...and my 'ashtray' that fills with empty cartridges smells like fruits and berries, and is totally recyclable. Yet, I still take it outside at work - aint' giving up my 'smoke break"!!!

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lakesidepark

Right on all accounts.......especially research....again ive been smoke free for almost 2 years on ecigs, ive done TONS of research and learned how to make a lot of my own stuff including wicks, coils and some mods...

Never ever ever buy e liquid that is not made in the US.... there are a few companies I have researched and trust that I buy my e-liquid from......one of them is local to me here in Texas......

as far as the ecigs themselves.....I use only American made ones.....actually the mods are really easy to make yourself if you are so inclined to do so......

Research goes a long long way..........
edit on 14-5-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy
yeah water vapor in your lungs all the time will make you sick, e-cigs made me sick two weeks after using them i had a realy bad cough "I know what your thinking its because you don't smoke real cigs anymore and your lung are getting out the crap bs" I have quit smoking for a year "patches" and I can tell you it didn't effect me like that crap did! It has a battery inside it which is used for the vaporizer to burn the liquid which cant be good lol water+battery usually = corrosion to the exposed metal. Used the blue e-cigs they cost a small fortune one refill doesn't= 2 packs it lasts for 45 mins its bs

Quick, cover up, your ignorance is showing!

Sorry, but your full of it.

First of all, the vapor is not water vapor. It's PG and VG. Second of all, vaping actually dries you out, it does NOT cause ANY sort of fluid buildup in the lungs.

Second, what the hell are you even talking about with "water and batteries means corrosion" It's obvious you have absolutely no idea how ecigs work at all.

Please, anyone interested in ecigs, visit www.e-cigarette-forum.com and totally ignore absolutely everything that guy just said.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavedweller88
reply to post by watchitburn

If you want that throat hit you need to get the 100% VG liquid.

Just a quick correction: If you want throat hit get more PG, not VG. More VG will give more vapor, but less flavor and less throat hit. PG will give better flavor and more throat hit.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I have been going to a stop smoking program for people that have a problem stopping at the VA

The doctors there don't recommend E-Cigarette's because of the source of the nicotine compound in them being from China.

Under US laws even ones that claim they are made in the US could be using nicotine shipped in from china in 55 gal drums and packaged into the cartridges in the US and labeled US made.

As with anything from china who know what is in the product.

The largest Chinese producer of eliquid is Dekang. They have a lab-grade facility where they produce their liquids. They source materials are purchased from DOW chemical, if you don't know DOW chemical, then google them.

There is nothing wrong with Chinese liquids anymore than there is something wrong with US made eliquids.

That's a moot point however, as there are plenty of US based juice makers that mix their own juice. Some companies do re-label dekang eliquid and sell it as their own, but that practice is becoming less common as more popular and less expensive US based juice mixers are coming out.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

And I would have to add - those concerns of the source of the chemicals that are used in the manufacture of e-liquids (legitimate or not) would have to apply to so many other products we use...

and in this case one of those products using a lot of chemicals for processing is tobacco.....

so its not a reasonable fear to propose to someone smoking tobacco that their dangers may be increased by using a different product because chemicals may not be properly regulated...when the different product has less compounds to regulate than the product being replaced (less than a dozen vs. thousands of compounds and added chemicals)....

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I'm glad to see this topic here! Great thread by the way. As for my experience with e-cigs, I've done a ton of research and decided to go with Green Smokes. I really like not having to fill up with juice from God knows where and my monthly order gets shipped on time, every time. Not only that but they look and feel like a real smoke. It's nice to not smell like an ashtray anymore, that's for sure. And I feel much better now that I have all the additional chemicals from cigarettes cleared out of my body!

But really, it was the cost savings that got me interested and kept me buying. Hubby and I went from spending $10 a pack down to $2. Pretty hard to argue the economics of that if you don't really want to quit and just want an alternative that doesn't have the stench and the chemicals. We each smoked about 1 pack a day, so that's over $400 a month in savings. And in this economy, that's huge without having to give up something you actually like to do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join