It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you be spiritual without being religious?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I am no longer religious. I used to be in a very damaging cult while growing up, and broke free. However, I don't even know if I believe in God. I definitely do not believe in any "holy books".

I have explored other avenues, such as magic, black magic, etc. Lots of research. I don't believe in any duality, God/Satan. I do believe that perhaps something exists beyond our realm, beyond the bonds of death.

I have done a few ceremonies, and you know what? I feel calm, content, etc. The unfortunate thing of the entire process, is that I have real questions, but no one, can seem to answer them, either in this world (without using religion), or invoking/evoking the other side...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Originally posted by pityocamptes
I don't believe in any duality, God/Satan. I do believe that perhaps something exists beyond our realm, beyond the bonds of death.

Seems you've answered your own question.
I don't follow religion or believe in a god or anything like that, but I am very open to the idea of an existence after this one or something that is more than what we sense here in our physical lives.

As you know, we can never KNOW what's "out there" until we visit it or go there, but to believe in the possibility is a very logical thing (in my mind) for me to do.

I have stopped searching for something that I cannot know, but I remain open to the possibility of something "more". And I am content with fact that I don't know. I no longer feel a need to search, because when I am ready to learn, it will be revealed to me.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Interesting... maybe I can help ya...

Even if you don't believe in God, he believes in you

You can be spiritual by exemplifying love...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Read Crowley, start with Magick (Liber 4). That book is meant for any person to be able to pick up and read and pursue their true destiny with magick.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
In my opinion,being spiritual has nothing to do with religion. Religion is something taught, being spiritual is a feeling. You can have both if you choose or one or the other. Being spiritual is not about believing in God, it is about having a sense of being that is connected to a greater power than one's own ego. There are many different ways to interpret many different things, however, religions are all basically semantics for the same thing. There is only one truth. Perception of that truth is up to each individual to decide.

I am highly spiritual and the farthest thing from religious you can be, I simply feel that being spiritual requires the ability to understand pure energy is what we are made of and does not require any words to feel. We all are spiritual, just different levels, harmonic vibrations resonate within all of us, some at a higher frequency than others. The ability to understand is hidden by the daily rhetoric we are bombarded with.

Soul
edit on 25-4-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: grammar

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I have real questions, but no one, can seem to answer them...

For instance...? You might be surprised. Lot of wise people here.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Religions are institutions. When someone says they're "spiritual" it means they're following their own individual beliefs about life, its origins and its meaning.

But when I talk to someone about it, I just tell them I'm agnostic because the phrase "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" is cliche and obnoxious

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

But when I talk to someone about it, I just tell them I'm agnostic because the phrase "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" is cliche and obnoxious

While I know it wasn't intended as such, I take offense to that sentiment. Spiritualism without religion is akin to friendship without commitment. You experience a bond and a shared appreciation for existence in all of its forms. This gives you the peace of mind necessary to fully reach an understanding regarding your place in the world and the universe. That's what I call spirituality without religion. You don't worship, you merely accept and appreciate.

I find this neither cliche nor obnoxious. It gives us the levity to resist the demons of reality, the sobriety to resist the illusions of reality, and the clarity to recognize the roads of reality. From there, it's a matter of understanding ourselves and what we want in existing. There's no worship or debt or subjugation or any of that. It's doing the best with what we have to make the best of where we're at.
edit on 25-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

I have real questions, but no one, can seem to answer them...

For instance...? You might be surprised. Lot of wise people here.

Why are we here? If a greater being exists, why do they do NOTHING to alter life on earth for the best? Why is life so painful most of the time? What happens when we die? Are but a few. I know some can answer these, but how DO I KNOW THESE ARE THE FACTS? Its based on faith, and I don't believe in that either...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

my turn, my turn!!

Why are we here?

To learn...

If a greater being exists, why do they do NOTHING to alter life on earth for the best?

The one who technically rules this world... Is not on your side...

I can approach that question from a few different angles...

Why is life so painful most of the time?

We live in a whole that is based on decay and destruction.... Pain is part of the process...

What happens when we die?

We return home...

but how DO I KNOW THESE ARE THE FACTS?

Most don't.... that depends on what "knowledge" you've obtained in your life...

Its based on faith, and I don't believe in that either...

Its only based on faith until you are "given" what you need to know...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I would say spirituality is something innate, whereas religion is the direction of your spirituality. You attain spirituality first before you attain religion, so that bit inbetween would confirm you can be spiritual without religion.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Simple ... add an understanding that all things are connected and remove dogmas.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I see spirituality as a state of searching, of trying to reach beyond. You feel that there is something more, you cannot say what and where, but there is something more. So you start to search, at first outside and then within. And there you'll find (or not) the answers. The truth beyond any doubt.

Religion is when you take the first answer you are offered, stop searching and start believing.
edit on 25-4-2013 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

my turn, my turn!!

Why are we here?

To learn...

If a greater being exists, why do they do NOTHING to alter life on earth for the best?

The one who technically rules this world... Is not on your side...

I can approach that question from a few different angles...

We live in a whole that is based on decay and destruction.... Pain is part of the process...

We return home...

but how DO I KNOW THESE ARE THE FACTS?

Most don't.... that depends on what "knowledge" you've obtained in your life...

Its based on faith, and I don't believe in that either...

Its only based on faith until you are "given" what you need to know...

Return home? So what is the point of this life? Sounds too much like Christanity...

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Return home? So what is the point of this life? Sounds too much like Christanity...

To learn... that was your first question...

Christians will tell you this is your only chance to get it right... I don't believe that for a second...

We return here over and over until we learn what we're here to learn...

Whatever that might be... the reason is different for each of us... but the basis is knowledge of Love

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I don't believe in God and I certainly don't agree with organised religion but I am spiritual and I believe in the continuation of the soul after death

Religion is just a form of control.

So yeah, it's very possible to be spiritual without being religious.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

How i am spiritual and not religous by LBNDHR: I was born and raised protestant christian/ Southern Baptist. At age 37 i came to realize religion is a.control factor, mind controlled by the church head/ pastor. I do believe in a creator, a higher power. But sense i RAN from the clutchrs of the church i am happier, more aware and generally self motivated. Put down the book , remember the lessons of ALL faiths, i study all religions, think for yourself and you too will know true freedom and happiness. Creator(s) made us with separate minds use it.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Why are we here?

Why do people grow gardens?

If you lend a hand instead of lending harm then at least you aren't making it any worse, right? On your level?

I don't know your pain exactly, its really not my business to ask... I heard a nurse that worked at a Hospice say that she was really sorry but everyone is meant to grow old, get sick and die.

That same nurse said that we are born after 9 months in the womb. The whole life we live after being born is but another kind of womb before being born into the next life (when we pass). Don't worry though, everyone does it and "midwives" will be in attendance then too.

how DO I KNOW THESE ARE THE FACTS? Its based on faith, and I don't believe in that either...

Those are all the best questions. Asking them shows you are a caring, feeling person. Everyone is different and has a different part to play. You do believe in faith, maybe just not the organized religious version. Thats what makes you ask all the questions.

Sorry I am not saying it better than that.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I certainly believe in something bigger than me. An omnipotent and omnipresent energy if you will. I also believe that we are eternal beings having a human experience. Yet I have this strong disgust with most religions, organized religions.

Spiritual without being religious would be spot on.

edit on 26-4-2013 by SonoftheSun because: typo

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

How can you be spiritual without being religious?

By experiencing a supernatural encounter with God.

Cults and Religion are mind control designed to STOP you from connecting with God.

God is NOT the author of Religion.

Religion is a LIE.

God and religion are total opposites.

Satan is the author of religion, NOT God.

God HATES Religion.

Originally posted by pityocamptes
Why are we here? If a greater being exists, why do they do NOTHING to alter life on earth for the best? Why is life so painful most of the time? What happens when we die?

I had a life changing encounter with God many years ago that radically changed EVERYTHING I believe.

If you’re seriously looking for some deep answers to real questions, watch this:

The Encounter

edit on 2-5-2013 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join