It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beginner Gardner Needs Your Advice...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Halekoch

I like that coconut addition. I find in a raised bed, the dirt on top dries out a little faster than the ground. I will also research the fungus. Thanks

reply to post by SunflowerStar

Thank you so much! I had no idea there was an ongoing thread.

reply to post by Quazzo

That may be an addition that I start in the winter. I actually like to get a little dirt under my nails in the summer. I will have to start researching the idea now to be prepared for later.

reply to post by otherpotato

I would love to see you pickling recipes. Canning scares the crap out of me, so I look forward to seeing a recipe that doesn't require that step.

reply to post by jeramie

I never thought to throw my kitchen scraps straight to the garden without composting them first. I would think mold would be an issue. I am gonna watch your video in awhile, it looks interesting.

reply to post by Thurisaz

Strangely enough, I mixed in a little of the mix I had delivered with my remaining miracle grow mix and popped a tomato plant into it. I was going to give it to my grandmother and she went crazy because she said the manure would strangle the plant. Poured it out and started all over again.

I will be back soon. You guys have great advice. I have already learned so many new things just from this short thread.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Last post then I gotta run but, I have one 20' x 5' bed then another 6' x 4' . The larger one will be tomatoes, peppers, and my squash and zucchini. The smaller is really just for the cucumbers, but I am going to see if I can fit the watermelon into the soil on the end and train them over the side onto a straw bed on the ground.

My berries and grapes are planted along the fence line, so they don't take up bed space. Though I didn't realize just how much raspberries "run", I am going to have to do something different for those guys next year.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Good Luck Doodle!!!

My husband and I are working on six - 3x8 foot beds. We are going to use vermiculite, compost and peat moss (1/3 each). We are collecting different kinds of compost & peat moss to blend together. Monterey Mushroom isn't to far from us, so we are going to get a scoop from them and last night a neighbor offered to bring us manure compost for cheap.

We will be growing a whole bunch of tomatoes and peppers. I kinda went crazy with the seed starting, ended up with over 250 plants! Which is kinda lucky, I'm able to share them with friends and family, even donated about 10 to two different school type programs to help teach kids how to grow. (That made me really happy!!)

My dad is putting in a huge garden on an empty plot of land he has. It's off on it's own, so I'm worried about critters getting into it. Last year the deer ate just about all of his okra in one night. It was crazy.

Can I ask what tomatoes you are growing?

And to anyone else, any tips for natural critter control in the garden?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

They should be fine in beds that big. Mine are about 3mx2m (about 10ftx6ft), just remember not to clutter them to much. They will spread.

With your watermelon, mine were very much hit and miss. First season, barely anything, second season got a few, then this summer just gone (I live in Aust so opposite seasons to you guys), they went nuts, and even outgrew their regular season. The same will be with the berries, although they do prefer a little cooler and wetter climate to really thrive. But really they just need somewhere to climb, and they will just keep going. Just watch them though, they do have a habit of spreading like wildfire once established.

Sounds like you've got it pretty much figured anyway, much of what you have is basic water and fertilise, and it should do well.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
And to anyone else, any tips for natural critter control in the garden?

Depends on what kind of bugs you're getting, but I generally just use a little bit of soapy water on most of my plants and vegies. Don't ask me how it works, but it does. My mother uses the same method, and I was pretty skeptical of it, but I have a lot of hibiscus flowers in and around my house. They get little black bugs that feed on the budding flowers and leaves, and spraying lukewarm soapy water seems to get rid of them. Ive done the same for the vegies a few times.

It really depends on the bugs though.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Thanks for the soapy water tip! Is there something specific you use?

I think I am also going to try some of the FoxFarm "Don't Bug Me".

For larger critters, I was thinking of getting some Shake Away (organic animal repellent). And someone told my dad that mint is good for keeping deer away. Has anyone else heard of that?

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I use my chicken manure mixed with cow, mushroom and horse....Organic seeds.
I love square foot gardening. Lots of great info for a newbie. Square Foot Gardening

It provides compatible and incompatible planting guides...Like keeping your tomatoes away from you potatoes etc...
There are a lot of good books out there and a lot of great stuff on the internet.

Also, I place marigolds everywhere. They are a natural bug deterrent. I had to give up on my blueberry bushes because the netting wasn't keeping the birds off

Good Luck and Enjoy your Garden!!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Good Luck Doodle!!!

We are going to use vermiculite, compost and peat moss (1/3 each). We are collecting different kinds of compost & peat moss to blend together.

Yes! Me too. I use the coarse vermiculite. Works very very well!
This year I am only growing zucchini, lettuces and broccoli.....the main thing is to eat what you grow!!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Good Luck Doodle!!!

We are going to use vermiculite, compost and peat moss (1/3 each). We are collecting different kinds of compost & peat moss to blend together.

Yes! Me too. I use the coarse vermiculite. Works very very well!
This year I am only growing zucchini, lettuces and broccoli.....the main thing is to eat what you grow!!

We found course vermiculite at a local greenhouse supply store, so that's what we will be using too.

My plan is to eat, freeze, dehydrate, can and pickle as much as possible (my mom makes these pickled green tomatoes with hot pepper, we call them Devil Tomatoes. One of the best things on planet earth!!). Between my garden and my dad's I'm gonna have a busy harvest time!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Looks like a lot of good advise on raised beds.

I just have a regular ground garden, the neighbor brings me goat manure in the fall, and we leave it all over the garden over the winter. First time I ever had a 7 foot tomato plant!!!! But I also used a cattle panel arch and wove the plant in and out. Worked amazing, and you just walked under and picked them.

Nobody has brought this up yet, but you may want to look into bird netting to cover your berries just before they ripen. You'd be surprised how fast the birds can strip them. And to keep the raspberries from running, use old thick carpet around them.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by otherpotato

Something ate my cucumber seedlings!So I bought 3 more kinds-Lets hope lemon cucumbers and the straight eights make it,this time.One other variety,forgot name.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Thanks for posting.I am also trying to go MG free.I have a worm bed/compost pile that is so helpful.I add oak leaves often.I love my garden!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

No, just lukewatm water with a bit of soap rubbed off into it. I don't use dishwashing detergent or anything like that, but just normal body soap.

We don't have deer here, but birds are the main problem with any crops here. Netting works to a degree, but we have a lot of larger parrots that tear through it. Kangaroos generally don't come close to the house enough to be a bother.

What I find most times works is hang blank CDs or DVDs from string in the trees or near crops. As they spin in the wind, the light refracting scares the birds off.

The only other problem we have here is snakes, but I have several snake alarms. They look like little solar lights, but they vibrate, and are supposed to keep snakes away. They cost about $25 each, I got mine from ebay.

As for deer, I don't know for sure, but maybe a small compressed air cannon may be enough to startle them?
edit on 24/4/2013 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
hate to brag
but had to take a pic of my geranium...usually the flowers are quite small and heaps of gaps and they look ordinary... here is a pic of one of mine that has been fed lots of horse manure:

I am pleased as punch with this one because where I live, it is very hot and dry and the flowers are starting to look like hydrangers (spelling is incorrect) and where I am, no hope of successfully growing them!!

that is also something to think about... what suits your climate? I am a stooge now because in the past I spent money $$ on plants/vegies that just will not grow where I live.
have fun

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You guys are awesome!

Comcast has put me behind a "walled garden" so I have to use sprint 3G service. I am running on very slow access at the moment, but I will be back soon.....

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

A walled garden?!? Oh Doodle that just is not right!!! Well, not right when it comes to internet access.... I hope you get it resolved soon!

----------

Ok going post a proud moment for me! I just went out to my greenhouse to water, prune and move the happy lil plants outside and .... one of my tomato plants has budded!!! I just can not believe it.

I really, really needed the pick-me-up today.

Gardening is good for the soul.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SilverStar33

Oh no!!!

Let me know how the lemon cukes work out. I've never tried those.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join